If you could never cruise again, what would you do in place of it?

43 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

No basketball ? I knew a guy who played for their NBA team and many people who left Philly returned to see the “Kangaroo Kid.”,

it would include basketball and hockey too. I am a Sixers fan but a bigger fan of college basketball (Villanova). I saw Cunningham play several times at the Spectrum towards the end of his career. 

19 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I would check off my entire bucket list.  Have only been to the 11 places in red -- 39 more to go

1. Grand Canyon, AZ
  2. Bryce Canyon National Park, UT
  3. Craters of the Moon, ID
  4. Yellowstone National Park, WY
  5. Pikes Peak, CO
  6. Carlsbad Caverns National Park, NM
  7. The Alamo, TX
  8. The Platt Historic District, OK
  9. Toltec Mounds, AR
  10. Elvis Presley's Graceland, TN
  11. Vicksburg National Military Park, MS
  12. French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 
  13. USS Alabama, AL
  14. Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, FL
  15. Okefenokee Swamp Park, GA
  16. Fort Sumter National Monument, SC
  17. Lost World Caverns, WV
  18. Wright Brothers National Memorial Visitor Center, NC
  19. Mount Vernon, VA
  20. White House, Washington, DC
  21. Colonial Annapolis Historic District, MD
  22. New Castle Historic District, Delaware
  23. Cape May Historic District, NJ
  24. Liberty Bell, PA
  25. Statue of Liberty, NY
  26. The Mark Twain House & Museum, CT
  27. The Breakers, RI
  28. USS Constitution, MA
  29. Acadia National Park, ME
  30. Mount Washington Hotel, NH
  31. Shelburne Farms, VT
  32. Fox Theater, Detroit, MI
  33. Spring Grove Cemetery, OH
  34. Mammoth Cave National Park, KY
  35. West Baden Springs Hotel, IN
  36. Abraham Lincoln's Home, IL
  37. Gateway Arch, MO
  38. C. W. Parker Carousel Museum, KS
  39. Terrace Hill Governor's Mansion, IA
  40. Taliesin, WI
  41. Fort Snelling, MN
  42. Ashfall Fossil Bed, NE
  43. Mount Rushmore, SD
  44. Fort Union Trading Post, ND
  45. Glacier National Park, MT
  46. Hanford Site, WA
  47. Columbia River Highway, OR
  48. San Francisco Cable Cars, CA
  49. San Andreas Fault, CA
  50. Hoover Dam, NV

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 2.38.46 PM.png

Neat List !!

• Like 1

buy another  german car  ?  maybe one with a softer suspension . 

The one i have now is more race car than luxury .

New ones have air suspension , should do the trick .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

it would include basketball and hockey too. I am a Sixers fan but a bigger fan of college basketball (Villanova). I saw Cunningham play several times at the Spectrum towards the end of his career. 

I was a huge Villanova fan when Ed Pinckney played  there.

We're going to the beach in a couple of weeks and plan to look at real estate.  Some place we won't rent out and can go to anytime we want.  Just jump in the car and go since we could leave clothes there all the time.  And, probably go to FL for the coldest couple of months of the year.

First, I’d shed a lot of tears over the loss of my favorite activity in the whole world! Then, I’d start planning land vacations in Europe to the places my hubby wants to go that aren’t accessible via ship. During that time, I’d hope that cruising would resume to continue my dream vacations. If that doesn’t happen, I’d plan land vacations to the places I wanna go like Tahiti and in-depth travel of Europe. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We are living in an area that we do not really enjoy.  While we were renovating the house and cruising, we were fine.  But once we completed the house and stayed at home for months, we realized that we need to be living in a place where we can really enjoy day-to-day life.  So we sold the house and have a contract on a condo in Bradenton, within four miles of the beaches.  We are happiest close to the water, and now we won’t need to go on a cruise to enjoy it.  We still love cruising and plan to go as much as possible, but I guess we have the current situation to thank for making us realize how much the small, day-to-day things matter. 

My husband's aunt and uncle live in Ocala.  I never understood the draw.  They only moved there because she had a couple of aunts living there.  We visited and I never felt like I was even in FL.  

• Haha 1

If cruising ends, we will be looking at timeshare rentals at specific Caribbean destinations we want to visit. We will also look more to the some of the National Parks and wonders here in the US. Since my wife doesn't camp, we have to find resorts.

18 minutes ago, BND said:

My husband's aunt and uncle live in Ocala.  I never understood the draw.  They only moved there because she had a couple of aunts living there.  We visited and I never felt like I was even in FL.  

No, it doesn’t even vaguely resemble the Florida I know.  I lived in Naples for seventeen years before moving here.  I am here because my late boyfriend’s late wife’s best friend used to live here 🙄.  He died very unexpectedly two months after I retired and we moved to the house he owned here, and then circumstances kept me here for a few years.

• Like 1

We've usually taken a combo of cruises, road trips, and extended family trips (ie, if we drive up to northern PA to see our daughter, we might continue driving up into New York or New England for a while)

When we've cruised in Europe or Asia, we spend a good 3-4 days in the area beforehand, and sometimes another 3 -4 days after disembarkation.  I guess we would just have to fill in the time we'd spend on a ship and see even more of a country.  (hope that made sense)

With no cruising, we'd probably go back to spending a week in Las Vegas every year, and in the winter fly to an island in the Caribbean for a month or so.  A few more road trips in the USA, and a big land trip to Europe every other year.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BND said:

We're going to the beach in a couple of weeks and plan to look at real estate.  Some place we won't rent out and can go to anytime we want.  Just jump in the car and go since we could leave clothes there all the time.  And, probably go to FL for the coldest couple of months of the year.

Virginia Beaches or South Carolina's Beaches?

We are thinking of moving from NJ to Virginia, Brother-in-law and Sister-in-law are thinking of buying in the Mytle Beach area........sounds like a win-win for us when we want to go to the beach for a week or 2.

Edited by Jimbo

6 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We are living in an area that we do not really enjoy.  While we were renovating the house and cruising, we were fine.  But once we completed the house and stayed at home for months, we realized that we need to be living in a place where we can really enjoy day-to-day life.  So we sold the house and have a contract on a condo in Bradenton, within four miles of the beaches.  We are happiest close to the water, and now we won’t need to go on a cruise to enjoy it.  We still love cruising and plan to go as much as possible, but I guess we have the current situation to thank for making us realize how much the small, day-to-day things matter. 

Why no love for Ocala.  We are really enjoying it. The beach is nice, but it has huge downsides as well

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Virginia Beaches or South Carolina's Beaches?

We are thinking of moving from NJ to Virginia, Brother-in-law and Sister-in-law are thinking of buying in the Mytle Beach area........sounds like a win-win for us when we want to go to the beach for a week or 2.

Actually OC, MD or Rehobeth Beach, DE.  We lived in VA Beach in the early-mid 80's and it was really crowded then.  My DH is a retired Navy Captain and his first tour was in Norfolk.  VA Beach is a year round town that increases in population in the summer.   OC is much quieter in the off season.  In OC we can get a place closer to the water as there's lots of options - ocean, bay, canals.  In VA Beach to be close to the water is very expensive and more limited.  Believe it or not, getting to OC is easier than VA Beach for us.  We're in No VA.  We'll see ours sons and DIL's often as they all love the beach and we should have some grandchildren in the next couple of years and won't want to be too far away.

3 minutes ago, BND said:

Actually OC, MD or Rehobeth Beach, DE.  We lived in VA Beach in the early-mid 80's and it was really crowded then.  My DH is a retired Navy Captain and his first tour was in Norfolk.  VA Beach is a year round town that increases in population in the summer.   OC is much quieter in the off season.  In OC we can get a place closer to the water as there's lots of options - ocean, bay, canals.  In VA Beach to be close to the water is very expensive and more limited.  Believe it or not, getting to OC is easier than VA Beach for us.  We're in No VA.  We'll see ours sons and DIL's often as they all love the beach and we should have some grandchildren in the next couple of years and won't want to be too far away.

Yeah that's right you are in Washington Redskin Country............we are looking further south, Carolina Panther country........of Virginia

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Yeah that's right you are in Washington Redskin Country............we are looking further south, Carolina Panther country........of Virginia

But, I'm a Texan by birth so the Cowboy's are in my blood.🤣 

Not only am I in Redskin (or whoever they will become) country, I live in the town where their HQ is and I drive by it regularly.  We even toured it when our boys were in Cub Scouts because one of the parents knew a coach.  I've met several people connected with the team and they were all nice (lol).  Although, I do know the ex-wife of one player (knew her before she met him) and I can't say that about all the players.

Edited by BND

I have a back up plan for next April a condo rental on the beach in St Pete Beach if we decide cruising isn't the best for us. The thing I will miss the most will be the evening activities and shows that the ships have and of course not having to get in the car to look for some place to go for dinner, lunch or breakfast.  We'll see how that goes. 

20 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

All inclusive resorts, See the local sites in NY that I have taken for granted my entire life. 

Same here.. I've already found  a few state parks within easy driving distance that I never knew existed. 

Expecting to make more road trips upstate.  

It would be an All-Inclusive.

In regards to some of the other replies

I grew up in Florida and spent my adolescent and teenage years at the beach.  Went to college at University of Florida (just north of Ocala) where I would make periodically trips to my parent's house with college room-mates  or a day trip to Crescent Beach.  After college moved to the midwest for nine years.

After that moved backed to Florida and have lived within the 10 miles of the ocean ever since.  However the only time I go into the ocean is on a cruise or a long weekend at a hotel right on the beach.  Going to a local beach, means I will drag sand and salt into my car, while being hot and sweaty.  I will then need to get the car cleaned etc.

I understand where John and LaLa moved to.  While not "Florida" in most peoples eyes, it is Florida.  It is horse country with horse farms that have campaigned horses in the triple crown.

Florida is not all about beaches and palm trees.

• Like 1