Once Covid Vaccine comes out, would you be 1st in line?

25 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

It’s a site Ron by Oracle for the National Institute of Health (NIH) for all US vaccine trials.  coronaviruspreventionnetwork.org

Sorry but if you’re The same person involved with testing of several different vaccines, how do you know which ones actually work (and don’t work)? Seems strange to me

4 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Sorry but if you’re The same person involved with testing of several different vaccines, how do you know which ones actually work (and don’t work)? Seems strange to me

TOB didn’t mention anything about knowing/not knowing whether a vaccine was effective; only said he/she had signed up to participate in trials.

Edited by d9704011

From what I have been reading, it looks like typical vaccine trials are conducted in three stages.

Stage one tests for dose tolerance, and uses a small number (30 or so) volunteers. This establishes the largest dose that can be tolerated - later trials will use less.

Stage two looks at immune response, and uses a larger number of volunteers - a couple of hundred. If immune response is not reliable, development stops here.

Stage three uses thousands (30,000 seems typical) to see how the vaccine performs in the wild. This is the stage where previous SARS and MERS trials were abandoned as the infection rate was too low to ‘challenge’ the vaccine (compare infection rates of the vaccinated to a control population)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Participation in a trial for one of them would exclude you from participation in any others.

• Like 1

I was about to add [was interrupted for domestic stuff] that the stage three trials are the ones large enough to need a mass appeal for volunteers - the earlier trials can be folks 'well known' or connected to the vaccine producers [med students, family members, administrators ....].

I would suggest [if any are reading this] that travel / cruise / hospitality folks volunteer.

• Like 1

I was about to add [was interrupted for domestic stuff] that the stage three trials are the ones large enough to need a mass appeal for volunteers - the earlier trials can be folks 'well known' or connected to the vaccine producers [med students, family members, administrators ....].
I would suggest [if any are reading this] that travel / cruise / hospitality folks volunteer.

One of the trials (Moderna) is beginning today. I don’t believe that where I live has enough infections to be a trial location. Generally in my zip code there are 0 to 2 cases reported a day and I don’t get out much. I live 2.5 miles from NIH by the way and have neighbors who work there as scientists. That is why I have confidence in the vaccine tests despite politics from either party because I have confidence in the scientists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I'm not going to the first in line to get the vaccine to cruise, but for my overall health.  Based on what I've read and heard, health care workers and vulnerable populations such as nursing home residents will be first, followed by older people such as myself (I'm 67).  I have a heart condition so I understand the importance of protecting myself, whether I choose to cruise or not.

• Like 1

As one who  believes that vaccination programs have vastly improved public health, I'd be eager to sign up.  I'm of an age where I can recall being taken to a school building on a weekend to get vaccinated for polio.  It's hardly heard of today but there was a time when it was widely feared.   If and when a covid vaccine does come out it will probably first be made available to health care workers and high-risk people. 

It will be interesting to see if cruise lines will require, or merely recommend, such vaccination in order to sail.  Either way they're open to getting sued.  Not enough passengers are vaccinated, people get sick, and the cruise has to abruptly end: class action lawsuit for corporate irresponsibility.  Deny people boarding because they didn't have documentation of vaccination: class action ADA lawsuit by those claiming medical / religious / philosophical exemptions. 

Edited by BlueRiband
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, BlueRiband said:

...It will be interesting to see if cruise lines will require, or merely recommend, such vaccination in order to sail.  Either way they're open to getting sued.  Not enough passengers are vaccinated, people get sick, and the cruise has to abruptly end: class action lawsuit for corporate irresponsibility.  Deny people boarding because they didn't have documentation of vaccination: class action ADA lawsuit by those claiming medical / religious / philosophical exemptions. 

Covid-19 vaccination will join Yellow Fever on "yellow card" requirements. Either you'll need the card or an MD waiver.

17 hours ago, clo said:

I'm skeptical that they can get the billions produced that the planet will need so I'm guessing I'll be quite a ways down the list. I don't see us traveling intl.until late next year at the soonest.

AstraZenica announced months ago that they are track to have 300 million doses available in the US in September

• Like 3

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There is zero proof that this is happening. Someone just likes a good conspiracy theory.

• Results of clinical trials are scrutinized by health agencies and what's more, published in scientific journals for additional scrutiny, following peer review.
  • Not all of the vaccine candidates are being developed in "this country". 
  • There are groups of industry scientists and government agencies who have been working together for many years to find ways to speed up vaccine production in the face of a pandemic or epidemic. The company I work for participates in several of these efforts within the EU, for example.

Exactly.

1)  If the vaccine is a traditional method of production, there is little chance of issues.  But they are testing for side effects and problems.

2)  The time consuming part of testing a vaccine is determining how long the immunity will last.  That can take years.  But there is no reason you cannot release a vaccine without this information and develop that as you go.  As long as you have test people ahead of the rest of the population.  So if they have test people even 3 months ahead of release, then you will have 3 months notice when the immunity starts declining.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SRF said:

AstraZenica announced months ago that they are track to have 300 million doses available in the US in September

Well then, as I wrote maybe we can travel late 2021.

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I would wait to make sure that it worked.I also want to check side effects.

1)  They will not release it if is does not work.  DUH.

2)  They are doing the side effect testing, as well as the efficacy testing.  When they will shorten in the duration of immunity tests.  They will run these concurrently with releasing it.

Just now, clo said:

Well then, as I wrote maybe we can travel late 2021.

Why?

That is enough to vaccine everyone in the US that will want the vaccine.

Once vaccine is available, no reason for cruising to not start.

I am already first one in line for Princess. Me and wife are eager to jump in as soon as the cruising opens. Even though I haven't purchased any cruise yet, I am waiting for a deal to appear for me to buy it. I think it wont take too much time before cruising is back again 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

One of the trials (Moderna) is beginning today. I don’t believe that where I live has enough infections to be a trial location. Generally in my zip code there are 0 to 2 cases reported a day and I don’t get out much. I live 2.5 miles from NIH by the way and have neighbors who work there as scientists. That is why I have confidence in the vaccine tests despite politics from either party because I have confidence in the scientists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Moderna said in a statement that it would be able to deliver about 500 million doses per year, and possibly up to a billion doses per year, starting in 2021. The company says it will not sell the vaccine at cost, but for profit"

31 minutes ago, SRF said:

Why?

That is enough to vaccine everyone in the US that will want the vaccine.

Once vaccine is available, no reason for cruising to not start.

Briefly, how long will immunity last? Will a second shot be necessary or even worth it? From what I've read:

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-vaccine-government-mandate-it-possible-1506548

25% of Americans aren't interested in a vaccine and it's questionable if the government (or even the cruise lines?) can require it. 

And if someone boards with all the documentation 'required' who knows if they will remain unable to transmit?

So, yep, I figure by maybe next summer we might have enough data to make a good decision. We have a trip booked with a small deposit that I can cancel until midsummer with a full refund.   I've always thought how wonderful travel is. But, to me, it's not THAT wonderful. (Guess you read about the young man who had a recurrence and is now paralyzed from the neck down.)

I will likely get a COVID vaccine if and when it is available to me.  Of course for the vaccine to mean anything with respect to cruising, the ships need to be moving and ports need to be accepting passengers without too many restrictions.  I personally have limited interest in cruises to nowhere - especially with a diminished onboard experience.

22 hours ago, whogo said:

I was thinking just the opposite. I would be happy to be a lab rat for a coronavirus vaccine. What bigger contribution could I make at this time of my life?

Yes, I would do the same.

I have no problem getting the vaccine when it becomes available.  I've never had the flu, but get the flu shot every year.  Normally, I travel a lot so I like to do whatever I can to minimize contracting diseases.  A new vaccine will not scare me.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

From what I have been reading, it looks like typical vaccine trials are conducted in three stages.

Stage one tests for dose tolerance, and uses a small number (30 or so) volunteers. This establishes the largest dose that can be tolerated - later trials will use less.

Stage two looks at immune response, and uses a larger number of volunteers - a couple of hundred. If immune response is not reliable, development stops here.

Stage three uses thousands (30,000 seems typical) to see how the vaccine performs in the wild. This is the stage where previous SARS and MERS trials were abandoned as the infection rate was too low to ‘challenge’ the vaccine (compare infection rates of the vaccinated to a control population)

That's why the U. of Oxford phase III testing started in Brazil and South Africa over a month ago.  By the way, the phase II testing in the UK was with over 10,000.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

One of my former co-workers signed up to be on the first shuttle to Mars.Perhaps that will replace cruising.

I would defiantly want an inside cabin.   I wonder if they will have a formal night.  😃

• Haha 2