Picture from the first ship you ever sailed on

Germancruiser

7 minutes ago, vintagegarage said:

I spent 100 days on the "Oceanographer", sailing out of Miami, in the summer of 1974, stopping in Dakar, Senegal, every few weeks for a couple of days each time to re-supply.  I am hoping to get back to Dakar on Zaandam next October.

Here is a photo from Wikipedia:

USC&GS_Oceanographer_(OSS_O1)_off_Seattl

Very cool...

• Like 1

My first cruise was in 1981 aboard Cunard Princess. At the time, both Cunard Princess and Cunard Countess sailed from San Juan. My family enjoyed our sailing on Cunard Princess so much, that we sailed on Cunard Countess the following year. 

EFD18F4E-E99F-49F2-88FF-EE922FF1A79E.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

My first cruise was a young pre-teen with my family on the USNS Gaffey. Sailed from San Francisco to Guam! Stopped in Hawaii My dad was assigned to a weather squadron on Guam and all of us moved there! Loved it. They walked through the passaways with a set of hand bells to announce 1st and 2nd dinner setting!!  What an experience as a kid.

A6C0C4C2-D322-41C1-9822-8B4F3B72E54D.jpeg

Ah, Denny, many fond memories of cruises on USNS or MSTS ships as a child.  Sadly, I have no pictures of them.  We were too busy having fun.  One particularly memorable one, we were 4 teen girls assigned to a separate cabin with our parents on a different deck.  We were on our way to Europe, so many days at sea to get into mischief and we did!  I even did my first Med cruise on one of those ships.  The Geiger, I believe.  Complete with a shipboard romance.  Those were the days! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

What a lovely surprise to see her again.  My husband and I sailed on the Jupiter for our honeymoon in 1980.  What a wonderful memory.

1980 b honeymoon greece aboard the Jupiter 4.jpg

1980 b honeymoon greece Crete 1.jpg

1980 b honeymoon greece Rhodes approach 5.jpg

Oh what surprise for me- I would not have thought anyone had sailed the good old Jupiter- wonderful pictures- thank you for posting- we had an outside cabin- thank god with our own bathroom. I also remember boarding " al fresco"- LOL. Unthinkable today.

Don't have a photo of the ship, but ours was in 1999 on Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Sea's on a 3 night cruise to the Bahama's and Coco Cay.  It was my parents 50th Anniversary so they took my, and my two siblings families, 16 of us total.  It took 17 years for us to go on another one, but we're making up for lost time now!  My DD has joined us once since then, but DS hasn't gone again 😞

Cruise 1999.jpg

20170330_175907.jpg

• Like 1

What wonderful pictures you all posted- thanks- I love to see all those old ships- and I could not help it- at least from the outside those ships really still looked " like ships"- not like some of those bulky sailing blocks. Oh well- that´s the evolution of ships- and on the other hand nobody wants  to share a bothroom or shower with fellow cruisers...! LOL.

• Like 1

My first cruise was in 2007 on HAL Oosterdam.  We got this photo in Juneau while waiting to board a small plane to fly over the Mendenhall Glacier.  A great day and a lovely trip all around.

Picture 540.jpg

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 1

Our first cruise was in July 1991 aboard Carnival's Jubilee.  Our particular 7 night sailing called on Mazatlan where the Jul 11 1991 total solar eclipse occurred.  I don't have photos of the ship handy (they are stored in a slide projector circular tray), but I do have this patch that I got that has the ship on it (yes, I know that she wasn't "S.S").  

Eclipse Patch.jpg

Total Solar Eclipse off of Mazatlan Jul 11, 1991.JPG

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

My first cruise was a 21st birthday present and my father took me and my best friend on the Shaw Saville cruise ship Northern Star in 1969. We sailed from Southampton to Lisbon, Gibraltar, Casablanca and ?

I didn't cruise again until I persuaded my husband to do a trip on the Louis Line Princessa Amorosa in 1992. we sailed from Limassol in Cyprus to Alexandria, Tel Aviv, Rhodes, Heraklion and Patmos. We were completely captivated by cruising and have done another 60+ since then. We are really hoping to do a few more before we get too old!!!

Northern Star

Princessa Amorosa

thumbnail_IMG_1120.jpg

Northern Star 1969.jpg

Princessa Amorosa.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Sitmar Cruises Fairwind, December 1982. 1st of 62 cruises and still one of our best, we were hooked.

Fairwind.jpg

In 1976 we celebrated our 10th anniversary on Fairwind. This was our first cruise and still one of the best. 

• Like 2

My first cruise was in 1971. Ship Delphi (Greek) 350 passengers. Package tour by Clarksons in UK.  Flew to Tangier and had to get yellow fever vaccination at Heathrow airport. Already had cholera and typhoid shots. Visited Morocco, Dakar, Senegal and Gambia. Also Canary Islands. 14 days. What a trip. Very rocky. Hooked me for life!.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

many fond memories of cruises on USNS or MSTS ships as a child.  Sadly, I have no pictures of them.  We were too busy having fun. Those were the days! 

Wow!  That is really neat being able to cruise as a child.  But, we were so poor when I was a kid, if they were selling cruise ships for $1.50, all I could have done was run down the dock hollering. "Ain't that cheap?"  😎

• Like 1

Very interesting thread.  My first sailing was on Neptunia, April 1957, transatlantic Dublin to Halifax.  Everyone cheered when we saw the first land.

Neptunia.jpg.2a3e1ca3186e24c642bfb29c5083bffd.jpg

Our first pleasure cruise was on Star Princess 1992, Southampton to Athens.  We were hooked.

StarPrincess.jpg.b0073e91a57bb3e66d88d47fcb2f0202.jpg

• Like 2