Favorite cruise port

lenquixote66

What is your favorite cruise port and why is it your favorite ?
Cape liberty but I don't fly so we sail from NJ or NY and it's NJ 99% of the time. Cape Liberty is very efficient, and nice since they built the new terminal. We are only 30 minutes south of the port too.
We did sail NCL out of Manhattan a few years ago and hated it. Too hectic, too small for these big ships and going into the city is a pain. Debarkation was a disaster too. Employees of the port were flat out yelling at passengers and it was very uncomfortable.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

What is your favorite cruise port and why is it your favorite ?

Venice.  I love the history, culture, and hospitality found in the family owned cafes.  Plus, the sail away was the most beautiful I've ever seen.  

• Like 3

I'm not sure if the OP is asking for fav departure port or fav port visited during a cruise, so I'll offer both:

New York City  for departure, there is nothing quite like sailing down the Hudson with the Manhattan skyline in view, passing Ground Zero and Lady Liberty, it is awesome!  Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk!

For a visited cruise port, I'd vote for Venice as well, glad we saw it prior to the larger ship ban, unique historic buildings in a special environment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

Cape liberty but I don't fly so we sail from NJ or NY and it's NJ 99% of the time. Cape Liberty is very efficient, and nice since they built the new terminal. We are only 30 minutes south of the port too.
We did sail NCL out of Manhattan a few years ago and hated it. Too hectic, too small for these big ships and going into the city is a pain. Debarkation was a disaster too. Employees of the port were flat out yelling at passengers and it was very uncomfortable.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I agree with you especially since the new terminal was completed.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I'm not sure if the OP is asking for fav departure port or fav port visited during a cruise, so I'll offer both:

New York City  for departure, there is nothing quite like sailing down the Hudson with the Manhattan skyline in view, passing Ground Zero and Lady Liberty, it is awesome!  Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk!

For a visited cruise port, I'd vote for Venice as well, glad we saw it prior to the larger ship ban, unique historic buildings in a special environment.

I should have clarified.I was referring to the port you leave from and return to ,however,you made a good point so my question is now favorite port to spend time in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Totally agree on New York City , we visit every year anyhow so it saves us one airfare , can’t beat the shows , restaurants and bars  either Manhattan or Brooklyn.

We also loved leaving from Barcelona great city way cheaper than New York.

Hard to narrow it down, so...

Favorite US port for departures (popular):  Port Everglades -- I enjoy it because my grandparents had lived in Harbor Beach near the port and could see the ships when they sailed out through the channel. When we did sailaways, we could spot their house (still can).

Favorite US port for departures (one-time):  San Francisco -- I loved sailing under the Golden Gate bridge on our way to Alaska. 

Favorite non-US departure port:  Although I want to say Civitavecchia (because that would mean I had spent time in Rome pre-cruise), the port itself is not convenient and is nothing special. So I will say Istanbul because the port is easy to get to from the city and the sail-in and sail-out are beautiful as well. (And of course, the city is fabulous.)

Favorite port:  Such a tough choice!  Possibly Naples for the number of wonderful options to do in port, or possibly Valletta for the gorgeous harbor. Venice for the sail-in and sail-out. Seville for the charm and the sail up the river. Or, for sheer bragging rights, the tiny port of Tasucu in Turkey. I've yet to meet anyone else who has stopped there.

• Like 1

The easiest ones were Malta and Sharm el Sheikh, but that was probably because we were going from chartered aeroplanes straight to small ships, so very little waiting.

If I could step outside the door tomorrow and find myself in a port... I'd choose the Azores, or Cadiz, Cartagena or Lisbon. We like places where you can be straight into the centre, and where there's plenty of history... so that's two in Portugal and two in Spain.

Port Everglades is my favorite without a doubt.  What is there not to enjoy during the Winter in South Florida when I live in Ohio?  The Port parking garages are not the cheapest, but they are so easy to use before and after the cruise.  The Porters help me get my luggage to my car in the garage which saves me much energy and concern.  

Port Canaveral would be #2 on my list simply because it was so easy to get to, drop the luggage, get the car parked, and get to check-in.

Regardless of the season, the dining opportunities in both Fort Lauderdale and the Port Canaveral area are attractions for me as well.

Our favorite homeport is Port Canaveral, because it is convenient and efficient. We can drive to port and they offer a variety of ships and locations. They have the embarkation and debarkation processes down pat. We like the accessibility and simplicity of Jacksonville, but they offer only one ship with limited itinerary.

On 9/6/2020 at 2:15 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I should have clarified.I was referring to the port you leave from and return to ,however,you made a good point so my question is now favorite port to spend time in.

Okay, I'll play. Villefranche. One, it was our very first port of call, and everyone remembers their first. Second we had a great day in Nice visiting the Matisse and Chagall Museums. After that DW got to swim in the Mediterranean while I got to watch our stuff and the topless French women. Now you can show all the great scenery you want, but can anyone say that God has made anything quite as beautiful as topless French women?😃

• Haha 1

Fort Lauderdale has the easiest embarkation and debarkation for us. San Diego is excellent, but a longer flight. Vancouver was the pain in the neck with Canadian immigration on arrival and US immigration on departure for our Hawaii cruise.

Best sail ins have been Malta, Stockholm, Sydney and Rio de Janeiro. Favorite port to visit would be Vienna, if you count river cruises. Cruise ships have ruined Dubrovnik, Venice, and Santorini.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Okay, I'll play. Villefranche. One, it was our very first port of call, and everyone remembers their first. Second we had a great day in Nice visiting the Matisse and Chagall Museums. After that DW got to swim in the Mediterranean while I got to watch our stuff and the topless French women. Now you can show all the great scenery you want, but can anyone say that God has made anything quite as beautiful as topless French women?😃

I vote for beautiful Brooklyn women clothed or unclothed.As far as French women nobody could ever compare to Brigitte Bardot who I saw in a movie at a young age,me,not her.