CDC no sail order extended through October

The “No Sail” order for cruise ships leaving from the United States will be extended for the month of October, according to a report from Axios, citing inside knowledge of a Tuesday meeting in the White House Situation Room. 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23576-cruise-ship-no-sail-order-set-to-extend-through-october.html

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

RCI and others had already extended the cancellation through Oct 31.  This changes nothing.  I see cruise lines not cruising through at least Nov, if not the end of the year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Didn't the CDC want to extend the order until Feb 2021 and "compromised" with the White House ?

I am not sure if compromise is the right word, conceded maybe with common sense. 

I am for reopening the country. I won't try to hide the fact. People need to assess their own risk. I say conceded because anyone with an ounce of common sense can figure the logistical nightmare of just a short extension of the No Sail Order versus "cruising can begin Nov 1" order. Best case scenarios it takes 1-week to get crew in place from where ever they are. Crew go on 2-week quarantine requirement. That means a decision has to be made within the next 7 days to allow cruising to begin on Nov 1. That is extremely unlikely and common sense says it won't happen. On top of this, a foreign port must agree to open to ships. I don't know the legalities of just porting vs debarkation at the port. If a ship only has to port and not let people off ships, then that is an option. Basically a cruise to nowhere with a stop to do nothing but meet some government requirement. Cozumel and private islands are the only choices possible for November and none are even a guarantee at this point. I could see the Bahamas approving private islands with an increased port fee and an agreement that when the country opens that all cruise ships porting at a private island also have to port in Nassau. There is a lot of leverage by the islands now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Think as this as not an extension of the no sail order but rather the "transition" order.  The transition of sitting idle, and waiting to going with live cruises.  Only some ships will start, and those will be going to private islands.  It will get ramped up, once more destinations open.  It's complicated and complex.  So the transition has begun

Let's see what happens with cruiseline executive meeting set for this friday with trump administration.  I suspect they will approve a plan as long as any problems are not dumped on the US to deal with.  Costs will have to be absorbed by the cruiseline and question is. Are they willing to take that risk? 

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Let's see what happens with cruiseline executive meeting set for this friday with trump administration.  I suspect they will approve a plan as long as any problems are not dumped on the US to deal with.  Costs will have to be absorbed by the cruiseline and question is. Are they willing to take that risk? 

Miami is hosting next Presidential debate on 15th😉

Format is town hall with undecided South Florida voters asking questions.

Could this come up?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

Didn't the CDC want to extend the order until Feb 2021 and "compromised" with the White House ?

No compromise but overruled by the White House corona virus panel.  CDC has been over stepping and is there to give guidance in the area of health safety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it is not just up to the cruise industry to be prepared to sail, but also cruisers.

If and when the industry sets up requirements  before setting foot on board the ship ie. COVID testing or whatever else they come up with, cruisers will have to build this into their time line.

I am sure insurance companies will be getting wise to reimbursing for COVID testing  (how many times a year will they reimburse) unless it is built into the cruise price.

Who will administer these quick test, and are they really reliable, or can a false positive ruin your vacation.

Besides I am currently trying to find out the frequency of COVID testing that would be covered by insurance . And as I started this-

Our town just started free COVID testing for all.....................imagine that.

So why can't nationally provide this service.

Just saying

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

I think it is not just up to the cruise industry to be prepared to sail, but also cruisers.

If and when the industry sets up requirements  before setting foot on board the ship ie. COVID testing or whatever else they come up with, cruisers will have to build this into their time line.

I am sure insurance companies will be getting wise to reimbursing for COVID testing  (how many times a year will they reimburse) unless it is built into the cruise price.

Who will administer these quick test, and are they really reliable, or can a false positive ruin your vacation.

Besides I am currently trying to find out the frequency of COVID testing that would be covered by insurance . And as I started this-

Our town just started free COVID testing for all.....................imagine that.

So why can't nationally provide this service.

Just saying

We have free testing but it's not quick results turn around. The quick tests they sent out they are using the $5 tests for front line workers here. 

I signed up for quick test but not sure when I can get it.

Rcl proposed you show up with negative fest take 5 days or less before your cruise.

Abbott does the quick test I signed up for.

Edited by firefly333

The only positive I can think of is by the end of october we will have more information on the vaccines and maybe when fda will approve one. 

Other than that it's all sounding pretty negative. Cdc cant take time to review or comment yet on cruiselines proposed protocols. Feeling like cdc doesnt want to and keep cruises from running and shut down.

Just now, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

There are some states, like my own, that have lower numbers and better testing options. I got a test Wed at 1130 and got the results at 9pm. I would hope they open more than just FL terminals. We are ready in MD!

Hey  we are traveling from Frederick for a cruise on the 28th as well  Doesn'

t look good!  Allure?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

We have free testing but it's not quick results turn around. The quick tests they sent out they are using the $5 tests for front line workers here. 

I signed up for quick test but not sure when I can get it.

Rcl proposed you show up with negative fest take 5 days or less before your cruise.

Abbott does the quick test I signed up for.

As I understand it US gov't has purchased all Abbot quick tests produced this year.  The 150MM tests are being distributed to states for use in hospitals, schools, etc.  Don't expect any to be available for cruise lines.  Even the NFL with all its resources is waiting 24 hours to get results on player tests.

10 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Is the October 31 date official? 

It's when CLIA has said cruises can/ might sail.

CDC has supposedly extended 1 month which coincides with CLIA's timeframe. 

The million dollar question is will that be the end of all the No Sail edicts?  Nothing is official until CDC and Cruise lines agree on what protocols/safety measures are in place and announced.

16 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Is the October 31 date official? 

I have not seen an official announcement. FWIW the NYT has reported some of the same things as Axios, that the extension is through October, but not the part about a meeting with the administration on Friday.

CDC still needs to respond to the comments solicited over the summer and to approve the plans.

In addition to needing time to get crews and provisions in place don't forget the cruise lines have said when they resume sailing it will be a gradual ramp up starting with a few ships and shorter (3-5 day) cruises. This makes those of us with 7 night cruises in December unlikely to sail in my opinion and 7 day cruises in November for sure not a possibility.

11 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I have not seen an official announcement. FWIW the NYT has reported some of the same things as Axios, that the extension is through October, but not the part about a meeting with the administration on Friday.

CDC still needs to respond to the comments solicited over the summer and to approve the plans.

I don't think CDC is extending... I think they're letting the order expire:

Per the NYT article ( https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/health/covid-cruise-ships.html )

"The administration will instead allow the ships to sail after Oct. 31, the date the industry had already agreed to in its own, voluntary plan."

Might be semantics, but... if CDC simply allows order to expire knowing CLIA has already committed to suspending cruising through 10/31 (they have)... then you have a de-facto no sail order in place until 10/31.  If NYT article is to be taken literally, it appears federal government intends to let cruising resume (likely in very limited capacity) beginning November 1st.   

If we get through today without an official announcement by CDC of an extension, then the order has expired.   

Edited by uncwmark
  • Like 2