Mask Policy - Sunbathing

zjc

7 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Yes, totally!!!! And that kind of crap can really make it HARD TO BREATH in the SUN so hopefully a lot of people will ignore it! Seriously, what if we all stick our toe in the water - how much counts??

Yup. It just stinks all around because that is not healthy for overheating!! I have a few things that come to mind about breaking rules near the pool, like CHAIR HOGS anyone?? It's very disheartening that everyone wants to pretend that they were on their A GAME! Seriously just put a foot in the pool and you'll be OK!!

6 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

I had no idea when that is, but so many cruises in Europe remind people to put their masks back on without insulting them or kicking them off! I have a son with childhood asthma that I adore more than anybody and nobody is going to tell him that it is “good” for him to sit in the sun with one of those over his face!

If the CDC approves these protocols, they will require them to be followed in order for the cruise lines to sail. I believe all the cruise lines will take these guidelines seriously and enforce them as they don't want to be shut down again. It then becomes your choice to cruise or not to cruise. If you don't want to wear the mask according to the protocols, then don't cruise. 

The chair hog issue that is poorly enforced is a cruise line policy. The Covid protocols are a CDC policy that will be required to be enforced. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bouhunter said:

And you have no idea how it's going to play out.  But I hope you're right and they enforce the mask rules for all the diehards no matter where they are.  Have fun!!!

This is true, but the future of their entire industry is at stake so I would imagine they'll take their precautions very seriously and probably want to make examples of a few people in order to deter others. Just like the MSC cruise that kicked off the family for leaving the excursion......haven't heard of any others getting kicked off for the same reason......yet. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

This is true, but the future of their entire industry is at stake so I would imagine they'll take their precautions very seriously and probably want to make examples of a few people in order to deter others. Just like the MSC cruise that kicked off the family for leaving the excursion......haven't heard of any others getting kicked off for the same reason......yet. 

I think you're probably right.  But it' not going to be pleasant or easy for the ship employees to enforce the rules.  As you say, the future of the industry is at stake.  An outbreak on any ship for any cruise line will be devasting.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, molly361 said:

Off topic  Will be interesting to see how they policy the only 4 in an elevator or just your party.  I know if sailing at 50% it will be half as bad as it is now but sometimes now it's pretty bad and the folks pretty pushy

I can see the line ups now,  stretching all along the Royal Promenade......marks on the floor telling you wear to stand.....30 minute wait just to go up 2 floors. 

• Like 3

I can't understand the mask wearing when sitting by the pool, if the chairs are spaced.  I also read you have to wear a mask to the slide, but not to wear the mask on the slide.  What are you suppose to do with your mask?  We have 2 stops in Coco Cay - will we be required to wear a mask sitting by the pool or beach.  

2 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

I think you're probably right.  But it' not going to be pleasant or easy for the ship employees to enforce the rules.  As you say, the future of the industry is at stake.  An outbreak on any ship for any cruise line will be devasting.

And I don't think the SIngapore cruises will have any bearing on the US cruises. Mask use in Singapore is already mandated and is followed 100% with no arguments. It really is the perfect place for Royal to start cruising. As a positive for the US though Chris Christie is now on board and has gone public about the necessity of mask use, hopefully people listen. And it won't be forever......mask use that is. 

3 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I can see the line ups now,  stretching all along the Royal Promenade......marks on the floor telling you wear to stand.....30 minute wait just to go up 2 floors. 

Yeah, sounds like fun 😞   I've seen thousand of healthy young people use the elevators to go up one floor.  Maybe they'll finally discover there are stairs....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Yeah, sounds like fun 😞   I've seen thousand of healthy young people use the elevators to go up one floor.  Maybe they'll finally discover there are stairs....

How do you know that  they don't have some issue that makes the stairs difficult?  

M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

I like doing stairs but I can tell they are not as easy with a mask on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, molly361 said:

Off topic  Will be interesting to see how they policy the only 4 in an elevator or just your party.  I know if sailing at 50% it will be half as bad as it is now but sometimes now it's pretty bad and the folks pretty pushy

I hope there is some line monitoring especially as one can often reach the  elevator bank from two sides.  Maybe one  side will be roped off, forcing a line.  So that works on ONE floor, but what about  all the other floors.    Perhaps they need an operator so the elevator does not stop at floors if there are still 4 inside.   As for just 4 in the elevator, something tell me that patrons will simply not allow others to enter the  elevator.  

We were just in a  large office building with a 3 to the elevator rule.  Of course it is just a fraction of the population  of a ship.  We walked up to the elevator bank, saw that others were waiting first, and let them them on the first  elevator, even though it was the one closest to us. Then as folks walked up after us, they did the same.   Something tell me that this could NEVER work on the ship! 

Some protocols look great on paper but will be difficult to put in practice.  

M

I don't know what makes people think that RCI will not go out of its way to enforce the rules.  It has always been good at enforcing rules that affect it financially whether it be sharing drink packages, bringing alcohol aboard, missing payment deadlines, etc. Stop comparing this to chair hogs and dress code violators. Those things mean nothing to RCI in the grand scheme of survival.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I don't know if it's a human nature thing, I don't think so, but breaking the rules happens every cruise. In fact,it happens everywhere on everything from running a stop sign to jay walking. Not wearing a face mask or not wearing it properly is going to happen. Fact. 

Of course I know that, but these rules are a little different. Just like the family that got kicked off because they broke the bubble on a shore excursion.

I'm not saying I agree with masks outdoors, but if that is the rule in order to sail, then that is the rule.  If people don't wan't to abide by them then they simply shouldn't cruise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I hope there is some line monitoring especially as one can often reach the  elevator bank from two sides.  Maybe one  side will be roped off, forcing a line.  So that works on ONE floor, but what about  all the other floors.    Perhaps they need an operator so the elevator does not stop at floors if there are still 4 inside.   As for just 4 in the elevator, something tell me that patrons will simply not allow others to enter the  elevator.  

We were just in a  large office building with a 3 to the elevator rule.  Of course it is just a fraction of the population  of a ship.  We walked up to the elevator bank, saw that others were waiting first, and let them them on the first  elevator, even though it was the one closest to us. Then as folks walked up after us, they did the same.   Something tell me that this could NEVER work on the ship! 

Some protocols look great on paper but will be difficult to put in practice.  

M

If you put an operator in there then there is only room for three passengers.😉

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't know what makes people think that RCI will not go out of its way to enforce the rules.  It has always been good at enforcing rules that affect it financially whether it be sharing drink packages, bringing alcohol aboard, missing payment deadlines, etc. Stop comparing this to chair hogs and dress code violators. Those things mean nothing to RCI in the grand scheme of survival.

This!

Lack of enforcement of chair hog rules doesn't have any health consequences, other than a few anger management issues some have.  But it's not going to lead to people getting sick or expose the company to financial liability via lawsuits, ships stuck at sea or outright ban. 

Not enforcing the mask rules can hurt the company badly.  

• Like 3

I had no idea when that is, but so many cruises in Europe remind people to put their masks back on without insulting them or kicking them off! I have a son with childhood asthma that I adore more than anybody and nobody is going to tell him that it is “good” for him to sit in the sun with one of those over his face!

Perhaps anyone who has health issues that prevents them from wearing a mask shouldn't cruse until this is over.  

If you can't comply with the rules, then don't cruise - period.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2020 at 5:28 AM, zjc said:

Seems a little extreme especially when they say the beds will be socially distant etc.

Don’t mind masks indoors and outdoors when moving around but I think this is a step too far. 

Totally agree, I can deal with just about anything, but asking me to wear a mask when I am laying on my lounger next to NOONE except my husband, is stupid.  They need to rethink that.  It is kind of like my gym originally said we had to wear masks at all times in the gym and then they got realistic and said you had to wear them walking in/out of the gym, walking around the gym, but when you are actually working out, no mask needed.  Royal needs to change this so when you are laying on a lounger and at the pool, you do not have to have one.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 10:33 AM, yogimax said:

I never realized sunbathing was so important to people.  It seems like a small price to pay to give up sunbathing for the ability to cruise.

Then again, we never sunbathe, one reason being the danger of developing skin cancer.

OMG, I LIVE to lay in the sun.  At the beach every weekend.  On sea days, we spend the entire day at the pool relaxing.  At ports we head to our favorite beaches to relax for the day.  I do not want Face Mask tan lines - that is insane

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, karena1 said:

OMG, I LIVE to lay in the sun.  At the beach every weekend.  On sea days, we spend the entire day at the pool relaxing.  At ports we head to our favorite beaches to relax for the day.  I do not want Face Mask tan lines - that is insane

I guess we have to get some of these-  

Transparent Mask for teacher Clear face mask with window for deaf reusable maskDurable Plastic Clear Face Mask Fashion Design Washable Reusable Transparent Mask Dust Windproof for Outdoor Full Face Pro...

Edited by molly361
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Same here. That's the only reason I go to the Caribbean every winter. With masks on deck, I'm out until no longer required. With masks onboard I'm out until no longer required mind you. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 7:40 AM, hallux said:

I recall a few years ago some companies toyed with material for "tan through" swimsuits.  I wonder how effective that material would be in mask form?

I had one of those "tan through" bikinis several years ago.     didn't work like they advertised.

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

Which brings us full circle. If cruising starts w/ a rule of wearing facemasks while sitting at the pool, I suspect that early on people still will go on their cruises. And of course there will be some people that will not comply w/ this pool rule. There will be confrontations. Because it is indeed insane. We all know it. If RCL choses to enforce it and then selects somebody, some group, or some family to make examples of they'll eventually chase away their customers and the millions of dollars they bring to Royal. People will start cancelling left & right. Wearing a mask in the promenade is one thing, but outdoors at poolside is indeed insane.  

• Like 5

Just now, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Which brings us full circle. If cruising starts w/ a rule of wearing facemasks while sitting at the pool, I suspect that early on people still will go on their cruises. And of course there will be some people that will not comply w/ this pool rule. There will be confrontations. Because it is indeed insane. We all know it. If RCL choses to enforce it and then selects somebody, some group, or some family to make examples of they'll eventually chase away their customers and the millions of dollars they bring to Royal. People will start cancelling left & right. Wearing a mask in the promenade is one thing, but outdoors at poolside is indeed insane.  

Totally agree.  I will wear it anywhere else with no issues, but laying on my lounger is just plain stupid

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

They made an example of a family on MSC and that didn't chase away their customers.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 3