Another gratuities topic but different

weregoingcruising

Many CC members have expressed concern for the well being of crew members and their families. I hope many of us will be even more generous with our gratuities to show support for them. As in the past we will recognize the outstanding ones on our surveys from Celebrity. Its also form of gratuity for them they appreciate.

• Like 1

I agree with you and hope that once we resume cruising passengers will show their appreciation to the crew. However All inclusive with tips included may actually serve to reduce extra tips as people feel that they paid what was deemed appropriate in advance.

What happened to that last Grats thread?  The one where the fellow wanted to know what would happen if/when he removed the grats from his account?  It was getting entertaining, then it was gone.  🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

What happened to that last Grats thread?  The one where the fellow wanted to know what would happen if/when he removed the grats from his account?  It was getting entertaining, then it was gone.  🙂

It was getting quite nasty and it was most likely removed for the second time.

Edited by Orator

37 minutes ago, Orator said:

I agree with you and hope that once we resume cruising passengers will show their appreciation to the crew. However All inclusive with tips included may actually serve to reduce extra tips as people feel that they paid what was deemed appropriate in advance.

Sadly I agree that some guests will not reward the crew with extra tips.

We have been tipping more than ever at local restaurants and I am sure we will do the same on cruises, we are lucky have not had any reductions to our current income, unlike servers and staff at restaurants and all working aboard ships. Agree also to mention our favorites on survey.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Welland said:

Sadly I agree that some guests will not reward the crew with extra tips.

We ALWAYS give extra tips even though we stay in inside cabins.

I was quite shocked when people asked  CC if they should give extra

tips to the butler if they stay in a suite. 

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Oh boy another gratuity thread starting with the very best of intentions by the OP.  Let's sit back and see what happens.😉

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Oh boy another gratuity thread starting with the very best of intentions by the OP.  Let's sit back and see what happens.😉

The answer is " Tomorrow " --- The question is

How long will it take before the same old, same old , replies are posted from the same old , same old , etc. etc. ???  And then the thread is removed ( hopefully !!!  ).

Did I just hear someone shout ----" So, Stop reading it " .

And regarding  , "As in the past we will recognize the outstanding ones on our surveys from Celebrity. Its also form of gratuity for them they appreciate " --- Very nice , but, the best " form of gratuity " is the " green stuff ".

• Like 1

You can always get "Attention to Detail" cards at Guest Relations.  When we receive excellent care by anyone, we get one of these and fill it out.  I think this means more to the employee than anything you could do for them as it goes on their record and may mean a promotion for them.  We also give extra at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

You can always get "Attention to Detail" cards at Guest Relations.  When we receive excellent care by anyone, we get one of these and fill it out.  I think this means more to the employee than anything you could do for them as it goes on their record and may mean a promotion for them.  We also give extra at the end of the cruise.

We also use these cards. Submitting cards during the cruise is easier for us than at the end when we're preoccupied with packing, traveling home, etc. 

• Thanks 1

Never knew about the cards, will look for them next cruise.  Also if you have kids in the fun factory they do a fantastic job.  I believe they are not part of the gratuity program, at least the case on some other lines.  Always make a point of sending an envelope their way too.

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

The answer is " Tomorrow " --- The question is

How long will it take before the same old, same old , replies are posted from the same old , same old , etc. etc. ???  And then the thread is removed ( hopefully !!!  ).

Did I just hear someone shout ----" So, Stop reading it " .

And regarding  , "As in the past we will recognize the outstanding ones on our surveys from Celebrity. Its also form of gratuity for them they appreciate " --- Very nice , but, the best " form of gratuity " is the " green stuff ".

We do both.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, weregoingcruising said:

Many CC members have expressed concern for the well being of crew members and their families. I hope many of us will be even more generous with our gratuities to show support for them. As in the past we will recognize the outstanding ones on our surveys from Celebrity. Its also form of gratuity for them they appreciate.

The best of gratuity is the Almighty Dollar.  When we cruise, we do the automatic tips, leave them in place and will stop by guest services and get the package of envelopes to give addition cash to the crew.  On our last cruise, one couple was giving out candy from their locality.  That is nice but I believe the crew  appreciates $$$  to help support their families.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, weregoingcruising said:

I think we should do this for all that are trying to keep society going. Anyone putting themselves out there at this time, we should find some way to help them and keep it going, as a bridge to help us get tp the other side of this thing.

- Joel

I remember years ago talking to a waiter who we had become friendly with and he told me the surveys do make a difference.   He explained that the waiters who got good marks on the comments were placed in sections near the kitchen so they didn't have to carry the trays a long distance.   Sounded logical at the time but who knows..

21 hours ago, George C said:

We have been tipping more than ever at local restaurants and I am sure we will do the same on cruises, we are lucky have not had any reductions to our current income, unlike servers and staff at restaurants and all working aboard ships. Agree also to mention our favorites on survey.

Since 2003 we have always given extra gratuities to our crew members.  We have never removed the automatic gratuities from our account.  When cruising resumes, [mostly likely 2022 for us], we will definitely take care of the hard working crew staff.  

58 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

I remember years ago talking to a waiter who we had become friendly with and he told me the surveys do make a difference.   He explained that the waiters who got good marks on the comments were placed in sections near the kitchen so they didn't have to carry the trays a long distance.   Sounded logical at the time but who knows..

The surveys and “attention to detail cards” are also used to determine crew promotions. 

I think many people already have been booking cruises with gratuities included as a perk so I don't think it being part of the "all included" will make that much of a difference.  I hope I'm right!

We always tip extra for the crew who have been providing service above and beyond, which is generally just about all of them!  We also have filled out the 'attention to detail" cards.  Those get communicated to their management right away (and often in turn to the crew member themselves), so I think those are very important to use, especially for the really outstanding staff, which are many.  We most definitely will consider upping our extra tipping even more under the circumstances.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

The ironic thing about what I wrote in above post is that if you talked to people back when the dining room was the only place to eat, the last place they wanted to be seated was near the kitchen doors.   I was always a little skeptical about what he said however he was near the kitchen and there was a picture of him outside the dining room saying he was the employee of the month or something similar to that.  

17 hours ago, keesar said:

On our last cruise, one couple was giving out candy from their locality.  That is nice but I believe the crew  appreciates $$$  to help support their families.

No doubt, they have no room for candy or trinkets.  

I often write a letter to Celebrity to mention those who have given exceptional service. In a number of cases I've received a follow up call from someone at Celebrity. In several cases the person I mentioned was promoted. In one case they went from Restaurant Manger to F&B Manager and another case they went from temporary CC Hostess to MC Concierge. I have been told by several in the Miami office that they few very few letters that complement staff and they take them very seriously when they do.