The Daily for Friday Apr 02, 2021

richwmn

Oh and I looked back in my cruise picture album and yes indeed we have been to Roseau, Dominica. We were there on Noordam in 2012. We did the now defunct aerial tram and hike over the Breakfast River Gorge. It was a lovely excursion. So green and lush. 

SAM_0690.JPG

SAM_0697.JPG

SAM_0703.JPG

SAM_0712.JPG

SAM_0714.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, Happy Easter Weekend 🐇and Thank You for the Daily.✏️

Yes, we've been to Dominica several times by cruise ship.🛳️ One time we did river tubing (rafting) and another time enjoyed the volcanic mud bath with a wonderful group of Cruise Critics🤓

I have to stay away from peanut butter--a downfall, LOL! 🙃

🙏 Prayers to all who are need. 🙏

20210402_070723 (1).jpg

• Like 20

We both received our first shots of AstraZeneca yesterday at a pharmacy in Kingston, 1.5. Hrs from our home.  All went well and we are very grateful. Second shots booked for June 10th although might be sooner with increasing amounts of vaccines arriving.

There was an Easter miracle this past week in our area. A 3yr old boy wandered off on Sunday in a heavily wooded area with lakes and streams and swampy areas. He was found alive and well on Wednesday. 🙏 Definitely not a dry eye in the house.

Thank you for this thread and all who post and share their kindness.

Deen

• Like 28

Good morning everyone and thank you for the daily. A Blessed Good Friday to all who celebrate.

Have been to Dominica many years ago but pictures are Slides so can't share. One of these days I'll get them converted over if it is still being done.

I am another who loves peanut butter and jelly. When the grandchildren were small and loved to come to the beach with me I would always bring a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for myself as I knew it would keep.....to the kids it became known as a Grandma Sandwich and they would ask their Mom for a Grandma Sandwich!

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, Divi said:

We both received our first shots of AstraZeneca yesterday at a pharmacy in Kingston, 1.5. Hrs from our home.  All went well and we are very grateful. Second shots booked for June 10th although might be sooner with increasing amounts of vaccines arriving.

There was an Easter miracle this past week in our area. A 3yr old boy wandered off on Sunday in a heavily wooded area with lakes and streams and swampy areas. He was found alive and well on Wednesday. 🙏 Definitely not a dry eye in the house.

Deen

That’s wonderful news on both your vaccines and the lost boy found.  Truly an Easter miracle!

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Divi said:

Deen

I'm so happy to hear others are getting their vaccines.  The more the merrier!

That 3 year old wandering around on his own for 4 days before being found is an amazing miracle.  I would love to know how he coped with cold, hunger, thirst, danger for those days.  Pretty resourceful kid!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I see in the photo of Miko and Marley that they don't have any snowbanks to lounge upon.  Poor doggies!   But that means Jacqui is closer to planting all her seedlings.  Lots of work ahead of her!

Only snow left is a bit on the side and pile out front on the driveway and by the top flower bed (doesn’t get as much sun).

But it’s a long time before my seedlings can go out, I’m afraid.  Have to beware of frost.  Hopefully it warms up enough that I can start to toughen them up in a few weeks though. 🤞 

• Like 16

Thanks to all for the prayers and good wishes.  An update is in order.  DH was admitted to our local nursing home last week in the Alzheimer's secure unit.  We had been trying to get him in for some time but waited until he was fully vaccinated and for a bed to come available.  All of that and more came available last Friday.  So far he is doing well and we should be able to see him next week.  I am doing ok, I miss him and the adjustment to living alone after 50+ years is difficult, but change, "they" say is good for you.  I will receive my  second shot today and will continue to do my volunteer work and hopefully continue to travel when I can.  Again, thanks to all of  you and happy travels!

Barbara

• Like 34
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, Gsel said:

Thanks to all for the prayers and good wishes.  An update is in order.  DH was admitted to our local nursing home last week in the Alzheimer's secure unit.  We had been trying to get him in for some time but waited until he was fully vaccinated and for a bed to come available.  All of that and more came available last Friday.  So far he is doing well and we should be able to see him next week.  I am doing ok, I miss him and the adjustment to living alone after 50+ years is difficult, but change, "they" say is good for you.  I will receive my  second shot today and will continue to do my volunteer work and hopefully continue to travel when I can.  Again, thanks to all of  you and happy travels!

Barbara

Thank you so much for the update; you have folks here who care.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 18

10 minutes ago, Gsel said:

Barbara

So good to hear from you, and that you are getting help with caregiving. Please remember to take some time to take care of yourself.

• Like 17

3 hours ago, kazu said:

I was surprised to hear your grocery stores were open on Good Friday.  Everything is pretty much closed here on Good Friday & Easter.

We were on the Zaandam during Holy Week in 2019, stopping in the ABC islands. I was pleasantly surprised to see almost all of the businesses were closed. Many families were camping on the beaches in Aruba, a tradition that goes back multiple years. 

• Like 13

Good morning all!

We always have PB&J here, we like it and the grandsons love it (although at our house it's jam, never jelly) 😉  The 7-year-old will sit and eat 2 or 3 sandwiches at a time. I shudder to think how much he'll be eating as he gets older, he's a big boy like his Daddy.  😄

Speaking of the grandsons, they will be here tonight for our 2nd overnight since before Covid.  Always a fun time!  

The meal today looks good, I would do as @dfishDebbie and leave the top of the bun off.  I also would try making it without the sugar, I wonder how that would taste...

@VMax1700, @fatcat04and @Divicongrats to all of you for getting your first jabs!

@StLouisCruisersI'm so glad you and your DH were able to have such a good phone conversation yesterday with DMIL!!

@Gselprayers for you and your DH.  Recently a good friend went through what you are, I know it's rough. Very happy you've been able to get your 2nd jab.

We've been to Roseau once -- I had to look back on our cruises, we've been to the Caribbean only 2 or 3 times and I don't remember the names very well.  It was in 2013 on the Noordam.  I took the Rain Forest Hike, DH did a snorkeling excursion I think.  I'm really glad I did the hike, it was much cooler up there, and SO beautiful.  Here are some photos of my day. 

When our bus came around a corner, we saw this.

835412969_boaconstrictor.jpg.c2a61f8d6e7b5f79875157026abbab0f.jpg 

42643641_RainForest.jpg.1e7a7779cd24fe0f3b325de9ac490418.jpg

Emerald Pool

1159848657_EmeraldPool.jpg.7d566faa60546c9cec8adf96a0a70aa6.jpg

ferns.jpg.1b68a56b2036b20000ebedd67cdf1c8f.jpg

Dominica.jpg.6af963ab889b6e39d21d14172c5aabb5.jpg

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Gsel said:

Barbara

So happy to hear from you and get your update.

I’m glad your DH got into the secure unit and  I know it is will be difficult for you adjusting.  Good wishes and prayers for strength are winging your way.

• Like 13

@Gsel Very sorry about your DH's condition but glad to hear he is in a good facility. Best wishes to you.

Alzheimer's/Dementia is very cruel to all involved; both my parents suffered from it in their later years.

HAL also has a version of Viva La Vida in the "Top Ten" at Billboard Onboard -

984163975_20190404_220212(4).thumb.jpg.3a96f84246cb021bd146e4ff32725452.jpg

It is good! It is one of our close friend's and occasional cruise-mates favorites.

Today in 2019 we were in Fort-De-France, Martinique. It was a great stop IMO. The city and island seemed much different than many of the other Caribbean ports - more European somehow. We went to La Mauny rum distillery for a cooking class. It was maybe the best HAL excursion we ever took!

DSC_1134.thumb.JPG.7c7ba19789f1107b148224b680b1a2ff.JPG

DSC_1155.thumb.JPG.3df601942d152d4ded9d2fb86fd4c39a.JPG

DSC_1179.thumb.JPG.89e1a2acbf6b010057a041919db94f1c.JPG

• Like 22

2 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Here in north central FL (and most of US) very few if any businesses close on Good Friday. Some groceries are closed on Easter but not many.

Same here, SoCal.

In fact, I really don’t know of any that close or limit hours on Good Friday. My employer gave us a couple hours comp time, which was designated for Good Friday 30+ years ago and in the last decade or 2 morphed into “Spring Time” hours.

Some of the major retailers (e.g. Costco) and some other businesses close on Easter. Most markets and major stores are open.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Because this is Holy Week I would like to show a few pictures of our wonderful experience while in Cadiz Spain during Holy Week when we were there on the Prinsendam in 2019 , her last voyage from the Mediterranean to The Netherlands for Holland America .

On Palm Sunday we had a fantastic show that Jacqui @kazu and Jose had organized and taken us with a " small group " of about 38 ?  to “ La Cava “  for an amazing and authentic Flamengo Show 

DSCN8528.thumb.jpg.805751ecda9caa4ba049f9b87262b307.jpg

146589026_DSCN85642.thumb.JPG.783c220f0ed99e79b427fa7a670f33f3.JPG

DSCN8572.thumb.jpg.d2e371e40ae151d89212dd2c9d9ee5f1.jpg

DSCN8583.thumb.jpg.3c755819a178fa667dabaeaf115840d9.jpg

I could even place a picture here of Jacqui  @kazudoing her Flamingo but will need her permission first ………..  you all love to see that right .....??????

When we left the show we heard in the distance the drums and flutes and went to find our what exactly was going on . We knew it was Semana Santa week which in Spain and many of the Spanish speaking countries is celebrated with processions like this : 

DSCN8541.thumb.jpg.f8a4ccca547749548aedd706130cf617.jpg

Now before I get censored I first have to show you this from a store in Cartagena :

DSCN8699.thumb.JPG.048c7b8a17fd9db77e4a8dffa8ac1c25.JPG

These processions go on for most of the week between Palm Sunday and Easter 

DSCN8589.thumb.JPG.752fed62cd46d1b354a8d193f9f7621d.JPG

DSCN8590.thumb.JPG.8a894b01beeee5c966cca502ac94e019.JPG

A large number of strong men are underneath the float and on the rhythm from the staffs that the two men up front slap on the ground they all slowly move this fairly heavy float  “ Enormous Pasos “  forward .

DSCN8592.thumb.JPG.34a528ac02468b8c2e2afb8528f09b8a.JPG

The theme shown here is of the “Last Supper “ 
DSCN8598.thumb.JPG.328211d66ccce92ca053fb3f851417d7.JPG

DSCN8586.thumb.JPG.26cdd6dbedc4d825ed6439965ee808a7.JPG

674227104_DSCN86033.thumb.JPG.d43ecd0ea2f2f4c0ca9cb2e8e26a5690.JPG

The next day in Ceuta , Spanish Morocco  we saw a similar procession route being prepared and kids working on the floats in the Cathedral 

DSCN8657.thumb.jpg.63326619feaa82959fca301c957ab686.jpg

DSCN8686.thumb.JPG.5feb7c451244183027126b424f18e90f.JPG

IMG_2331.thumb.JPG.dfd0b6478fc40a4bea3985651dc90e5d.JPG

....……and YES we surely miss her and all of the Blue Hulled Beauties 

DSCN8680.thumb.JPG.65c443caed537488e70928fea76170c0.JPG

A Happy and Blessed Easter everybody .

Tony 

IMG_2331.JPG

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Daily fans!

Hope everyone is enjoying the day - it's pretty chilly here in NY, but we're supposed to warm up next week.  I wish the weather could make up its mind - spring or winter??

We were in Dominica in 2017, on the Oosterdam.  We took a HAL tour of Trafalgar Falls and the Emerald Pool.  It was listed as "easy"....but when we got to the Falls, there were 133 steps (not even, some small some large) to get there, and then another 149 to get to the Emerald Pool!! My DS has some walking issues (he uses a cane), and it was an experience to do all those steps.  When we got back to the ship we told the Excursion person that it should be changed to at least "moderate" or even "strenuous" and she agreed.  Who knows if they ever changed it - we haven't been back! I'll attach some pictures.

This afternoon I get my second Moderna shot.....in two weeks I'll be fully covered!! YAY!!

Still having issues putting descriptions between pictures, so they're all here:

A school bus that was crushed during a hurricane, not far from where we docked

Entrance to Trafalgar Falls and the Falls

Entrance to Emerald Pool and the Pool (no, I didn't go swimming)

IMG_4204.JPG

IMG_4219.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4248.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Gsel said:

Barbara

Wonderful to see you, Barbara. 

• Like 7

Good morning.  I’m a little late as I had to do a grocery run early.  Good Friday and reconciliation day do go together.  I’m one of the odd ones who doesn’t like peanut butter, so no PB&J for me.  However, I do like peanuts.  

We have been to today’s port about 15 years ago on the old Regal Princess.  Right now we are headed out to get the batteries replaced in two cars.  I’ll look for my pictures of Dominica when we get back.

Lenda

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Divi said:

Deen

Wow! A true miracle indeed!! God bless!

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

On a lighter note .........

165783258_1314768055573048_8276820523769433155_n.jpg.22221634f10d84f1aff86220e3a73d26.jpg

Ever Given is still in the canal, at a wide point, presumably undergoing inspections and possible repairs.  Her AIS destination is Rotterdam,

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1