All 27 EU countries will allow (vaccinated) US tourists this summer

sfocruiser

8 hours ago, irvington said:

Agreed - I live in a city where there has been huge demand for vaccine, but the overall numbers are concerning. The people who are resisting the vaccine or for whom it seems ominous or overwhelming are not generally the same people who would be influenced by European travel access. I do wonder if US private employers will be legally able to require vaccine. There's discussion that private music and sports venues may require proof of vaccine, but harder to do in public places. It will be interesting to see if Europe is more able to compel people to get vaccinated. It seems like it would be more culturally possible there.

EEOC has already stated that it’s legal for employers to require vaccinations.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/eeoc-says-employers-may-mandate-covid-19-vaccinations-subject-to-limitations

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/eeoc-says-employers-may-mandate-covid-19-vaccinations-subject-to-limitations

And a growing list of colleges and universities have already said that they will require vaccination starting with the Fall semester of 2021:

These colleges now say Covid vaccines will be required for fall 2021 (cnbc.com)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

As opposed to Chinese or Russian vaccines which no documentation to Western standards. 

EU approvals of both CN and RU vaccines will likely follow, but for the time being, that's kind of ironic, as the "Western Standards" seem to be set a fair bit lower than the Chinese or Russian ones when it comes to documentation. 

To illustrate: all Ru citizens have an account with the Russian e-government site; each account has a unique identifier that is linked to the account holder's ID; vaccination info is uploaded there and available in the form of a QR code. That arrangement seems a bit more secure than a hand-written laminated vax card, if you ask me...

• Like 1

One of the best parts of this announcement is that it will make it simpler for the cruise lines to have the same requirement for their cruises out of the EU.. proof of full vaccination before you get on a flight to the EU would make me feel quite a bit more secure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I wish my DW's school did that. She received an e-mail that she might have been exposed to a staff member with Covid, and expect a call from the state health department. She was quarantined until released from it because she is fully vaccinated. Today she learned that the entire 3rd grade is quarantined!

As far as I know, the staff is not required to be vaccinated. The Superintendent did add 2 personal days for everyone to allow their use to get vaccinated. With no vaccine yet approved for children, I think school staff who don't or won't get vaccinated should be subject to arrest for endangering the health and welfare of minors.

• Like 1

To be honest, the EU has made such a hash of their vaccination rollout and even making sure they had enough, I'm suprised they are opening the doors so early.  I still wouldn't go - and I'm from around there, LOL.

Edited by T8NCruise

7 hours ago, kazu said:

I suspect that is when it would be done.  Just like you have to show your passport, you will need to show proof of vaccine to enter the EU.

The question becomes, what proof will suffice?  What we are receiving here is different than what our U.S. friends are receiving.  Hopefully there will be information forthcoming as the EU prepares to re-open.

And how many Canadians will be fully vaccinated by Summer?  We should get our second Pfizer by mid-July, but we are OLD!  DD doesn't expect to be fully vaccinated until September, unless things change drastically.  If we manage to get a lot of AstraZeneca, it may happen sooner (evidently President Biden has said the US will share), but really there are no signs that our border will open for recreational travel any time soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

And how many Canadians will be fully vaccinated by Summer?  We should get our second Pfizer by mid-July, but we are OLD!  DD doesn't expect to be fully vaccinated until September, unless things change drastically.  If we manage to get a lot of AstraZeneca, it may happen sooner (evidently President Biden has said the US will share), but really there are no signs that our border will open for recreational travel any time soon.

I think by Fall we can count on being fully vaccinated, Ann.  At least, I sure hope so.

Not sure what’s in the cards but FWIW the nurse who gave me my jab on Saturday told me she suspects we will get our 2nd jab much sooner than 4 months.  All we can do is wait and see.

• Like 2

They just showed on CTV news that 29.2% of Canadians have been vaccinated with at least 1 shot so this is encouraging news.  I had my Pfizer shot in March with my next one already scheduled for July.  We have a huge municipal Covid Centre here where we live and there is lots of people from Ottawa and surrounding that are coming to get their shots.  I just walked by the centre today and it is packed with cars which is great news as more people are taking the jabs.  I still have 3 brothers one of which is going to be 70, under home care with advanced COPD and he still did not get a shot.....yet some healthy people of 40 and up are getting their jabs.  Go figure.... We are still on the fence as to whether or not we will be able to cruise in September.... Keeping positive and fingers crossed.  Stay healthy everyone.... Our golf courses are still closed and that sucks....

Diane

4 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

One of the best parts of this announcement is that it will make it simpler for the cruise lines to have the same requirement for their cruises out of the EU.. proof of full vaccination before you get on a flight to the EU would make me feel quite a bit more secure. 

YES PLEASE

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OzCanuck said:

I would suggest that the anti-vax cohort and the never-had-a-passport cohort intersect quite nicely. 

Actually it's been my experience that they don't.  They're two very distinct camps. 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2021 at 7:56 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I suspect the EU decision won't impact the decisions of a lot of those in the largely agricultural areas of southern states, for whom European travel is not in the picture.

I live in one of those Southern states, in a suburban area smack between a major city and rural areas. And I agree with you. Most people around here aren’t thinking about traveling internationally whether by airplane or cruise ship. It’s nowhere in their radar. 

Among my local cruising friends, the vast majority have said that they’ll wait until cruising resumes in the USA without restrictions (most specifically out of “drive to” ports) whenever that happens. They won’t even consider Royal’s new sailings out of Nassau, even if a flight there takes as long as a flight to Miami. That would require getting a passport (gasp!). 

In the meantime, I’m obsessively researching and plotting my next international trip anywhere in the world that will accept me!

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 4

Europe nations are having nowhere near the success the US has had with vaccinations. Just because we can travel there doesn't necessarily make it the wisest choice for those are concerned about whether or not people are vaccinated. 
image.thumb.png.b61f3ef6c1ac659a7473a51ffbb8bbf3.png

If you compare are numbers to the European countries below most are not even halfway to the success the US has had.

• Europe: COVID-19 vaccination rates by country | Statista

8 hours ago, napoxoguk said:

EU approvals of both CN and RU vaccines will likely follow, but for the time being, that's kind of ironic, as the "Western Standards" seem to be set a fair bit lower than the Chinese or Russian ones when it comes to documentation. 

To illustrate: all Ru citizens have an account with the Russian e-government site; each account has a unique identifier that is linked to the account holder's ID; vaccination info is uploaded there and available in the form of a QR code. That arrangement seems a bit more secure than a hand-written laminated vax card, if you ask me...

The issue is proper scientific research and documentation of vaccine testing and development standards and record keeping. I have no doubt Russia and China keeps very detailed and exacting records on their citizens. 

30 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The issue is proper scientific research and documentation of vaccine testing

Ah, I see...

So you seem to be positing that Sinovac/sinopharm or cansino have been less than properly researched and documented.

May I ask you - purely for educational purposes, of course - which research papers and documentation have you reviewed to arrive at that conclusion?