The Daily for Tuesday Apr 27, 2021

richwmn

Today is Babe Ruth Day, Morse Code Day, and National Prime Rib Day

"If men knew how women pass the time when they are alone, they'd never marry. - O. Henry"

Meal suggestion for today - Deep-Dish Chicken Pot Pie

Drink of the Day - Drunk Jack Frosties

Wine of the day - Brick House Pinot Noir Ribbon Ridge Les Dijonnais 2016

Port of the Day - Maroe Bay Huahine Iti French Polynesia

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Freeport eta 4/27

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/28
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/30
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 4/29

Corfu GR
Volendam

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

Trieste, IT
Rotterdam

0427USA.thumb.png.36c132c41f3a34999873fbde52198350.png

0427Europe.thumb.png.08d0e62921e976b5722ccef9f29d2e9c.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  Babe Ruth is a true American Hero.  While Morse Code is not used as much as it used to be it still has a very important place at least in our history.  I love Prime Rib.  The quote is interesting, and the port of the day sounds quite exotic.  I'm not a fan of pot pies.  My alternative is Chilled Mixed Berry Soup, Australian Fruit Platter and Chateaubriand, as served on MS Amsterdam April 27, 2014.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Las Vegas getaway for Sharon

A great birthday celebration for Ger_77 DH

First super moon of 2021

Nieuw Statendam in Port Everglades Saturday

Rotterdam at sea

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, thanks for the Daily Report.

I tried learning Morse Code many years ago, but I couldn't get it.  Prime Rib sounds great, but not for us tonight.  Chicken pot pie sounds good too.  It's supposed to be a little warmer here this afternoon, so we may BBQ cheeseburgers.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and drink of the day.

Another port I haven't had the pleasure of visiting, hope there are lots of pictures from others.

Saying a prayer for everyone. 

Stay safe.

• Like 18

Good morning, everyone.   

Again, thank you for all the birthday wishes yesterday.   I was totally overwhelmed and could feel the strong positive emotion coming from this group.  It really made for a great day.   Tom and I went to dinner at our favorite place and I had filet and scallops.  Mmmmm.   

I do love Prime Rib.  That could make for a great celebration.  I am with Roy in pot pies.  I did make a shrimp and lobster pot pie last fall right before Thanksgiving.  That one was pretty good.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-deep-dish-potpie/

I couldn't find any nutritional information.  Maybe we don't want to know.

Chicken-Deep-Dish-Potpie_exps17347_RDS2447888D11_07_5b_RMS.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thank-you for the daily Rich.  Cheers to The Bambino, morse code & prime rib.  Leaving today’s quote alone and the chicken pot pie sounds delicious.  Prayers to all on Roy’s list and cheers to all with celebrations.  Overcast and cool here this morning.   

• Like 18

After a week away in the Houston area it is good to catch up.  Thanks for the updates.  Polynesia is on the DH's bucket list.  Pot pie with a whole wheat and flax crust (for my 5 to 1 diet plan) sounds like a good choice.  

Prayers and comfort to those in need.

Kudos to Pfizer - they did it again.  A one pill anti-viral.  It sounds like something we should all pack next year in our luggage.  

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/revealed-home-cure-covid-could-available-year/

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning.  Great group of days.  Not sure about the quote.  Love the meal suggestion, we really enjoy Marie Callandar's frozen ones from the grocery store.  Going to be a bright and warm day today.  DH is getting an oil change, first one since September.  Guess we haven't traveled much.  LOL

Prayers and toasts to our lists. The moon last night was really beautiful.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Drunk Jack Frosties:

Ingredients
  • 1 c. vodka
  • 1 c. Champagne
  • ½ c. Blue Curacao
  • ½ c. lemonade
  • 3 c. ice
  • Lemon wedge
  • white sanding sugar
Instructions
  1. In a blender, combine vodka, champagne, blue curacao, lemonade and ice. Blend until combined.
  2. Run a lemon wedge around the rim of each glass then dip in sanding sugar.
  3. Pour frosties into rimmed glasses and serve immediately.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.36.26 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Its another sunny day and supposed to be around 75 and tomorrow in the 80’s.

According to the calendar its KING’S DAY...    Wish we were all onboard to celebrate 🍾🎉

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 17

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Babe Ruth is truly a legend and had so many great statements.

0BECF5E3-F3A6-448C-994A-4C2C60C71266.thumb.jpeg.c6f7f641e74faccf97687edac0801599.jpeg

Morse Code was so important in it’s day.  Prime Rib is worthy of it’s own day, indeed - yum!

It’s Kings Day today.  I wish we were celebrating on a BHB or in the Netherlands.  Hope our Dutch friends enjoy a great celebration today.

Not sure I like that quote of O. Henry.  But then again, I never liked the term “housewife” either.  Back in the day when I had to do applications, I’d ask if the person worked outside of the home.

14692F49-3430-4A13-BE5B-5CA31984E01F.jpeg.34a19a113265ca5bba8d369768050b0c.jpeg

We’ll pass on the chicken pot pie - had plenty in the winter and probably have tuna tacos  and definitely enjoy the first crop of the season of Fiddleheads.  Yippee

81C2EF7D-42B4-4D1F-9BDA-486CE24FE495.thumb.jpeg.bdfd67cf83f87a561ece29543e071519.jpeg

Delish!  The season is short so we have to make the most of it .

I was pretty lazy yesterday.  Achy and tired, probably as a result of the jab.  Hopefully today I’ll be up to being much more productive.

EBBDB4E4-C059-42E9-B29F-1A1A2763F337.jpeg.fe7d2c04f3de489bc46eabd67097750d.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone

BB8B628F-BA9C-4ABD-BDA3-34F6D5805842.thumb.jpeg.607f386bc547befa0be68c26c539ecec.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks 😷

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another wild combo of days. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Denise what a great picture of last night’s dinner.  Joy, hope your outdoor project is progressing.  Glad I never met Mr. Henry. Another festive drink du jour! I usually steer clear of two crusted pies, so I will pass on this meal. 

The setting full moon was huge in the Western sky this morning. Just spectacular. Sadly I waited for the return trip to snap a picture, and it was already hidden by the trees. But yesterday I did capture a picture of a couple of visitors. I still can not believe they did not run away when Bindi and I went out. Bindi is very quiet and calm around them, which helps.
C014B1FE-8F71-4EBB-934D-7CF3672F7F7B.jpeg.f7545fe60a04f1702c6e945b741595b2.jpeg

I have not seen this year’s twins around for awhile, so hope all is well. A bit warmer this morning. Planning on Happy Hour at the Beachfront Winery, and that may morph into eating out. If not, perhaps a salmon burger, after I get home. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone! 

I could not find any online distributor selling the 2016 vintage of  this wine. But luckily all released vintages share the same excellent ratings. I found several distributors offering the 2017 vintage with prices starting at $44.84. 
Winemaker Notes

#47 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

The brick house looks out over eight acres of Dijon clone vines planted on a full south slope. Since 1998, they have supplied superior fruit that continues to win critical acclaim. The “Les Dijonnais” Pinot Noir represents the best barrels from this warm site. In contrast with the Pommard clone bottlings, the “Les Dijonnais” Pinot Noir offers a more floral interpretation of the grape, often displaying hints of rose petal and meadow flowers.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast: Fresh, aromatic and juicy, this deliciously complex wine incorporates the extra texture of biodynamically farmed grapes, adding details and length. Citrus, berry, a dash of Dr Pepper soda and a solid foundation of stone make for a firm, age-worthy wine. It spent 15 months in one-third new French oak. 
WS94 Wine Spectator: Sleek and harmonious, with effortlessly complex violet, raspberry and river stone accents that take on richness toward a lingering finish. Drink now through 2025.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Happy Babe Ruth Day!  Please let me know when it's Stan Musial Day because he is DH's fave.  You can have my share of the Prime Rib.  I'll just have a little of that Chicken Pot Pie instead.

@DeeniEncinitasI saw the photo of your stuffed fish dinner last night.  Your photo looked like one of @dfish's recipe photos.  You have the artistic flair, that's for sure!

I seriously doubt I have been to that particular bay on that particular French Polynesian island so sorry, there are no photos from here today.  Wouldn't it be amazing if one of us was actually there before?  Waiting patiently to see.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.   

Again, thank you for all the birthday wishes yesterday.   I was totally overwhelmed and could feel the strong positive emotion coming from this group.  It really made for a great day.   Tom and I went to dinner at our favorite place and I had filet and scallops.  Mmmmm.   

I do love Prime Rib.  That could make for a great celebration.  I am with Roy in pot pies.  I did make a shrimp and lobster pot pie last fall right before Thanksgiving.  That one was pretty good.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-deep-dish-potpie/

I couldn't find any nutritional information.  Maybe we don't want to know.

Chicken-Deep-Dish-Potpie_exps17347_RDS2447888D11_07_5b_RMS.jpg

I love Chicken pot pie!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good Morning.  Great group of days.  Not sure about the quote.  Love the meal suggestion, we really enjoy Marie Callandar's frozen ones from the grocery store.  Going to be a bright and warm day today.  DH is getting an oil change, first one since September.  Guess we haven't traveled much.  LOL

Prayers and toasts to our lists. The moon last night was really beautiful.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Drunk Jack Frosties:

Ingredients
  • 1 c. vodka
  • 1 c. Champagne
  • ½ c. Blue Curacao
  • ½ c. lemonade
  • 3 c. ice
  • Lemon wedge
  • white sanding sugar
Instructions
  1. In a blender, combine vodka, champagne, blue curacao, lemonade and ice. Blend until combined.
  2. Run a lemon wedge around the rim of each glass then dip in sanding sugar.
  3. Pour frosties into rimmed glasses and serve immediately.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.36.26 AM.png

Could I drive after a couple of these.

• Like 4

I love your Daily reports and thank you for doing this.

I see the Westerdam and the Zuiderdam are sailing for Las Angeles and Long Beach, any insight into what HAL is planning to do with them in California?

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 10

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  My Dad loved Babe Ruth.  I always thought I'd like to learn Morse Code - I was great at shorthand, so thought it might be easy for me to learn Morse Coding, but never pursued it.  I can take or leave prime rib - mostly leave it.  I'm not a fan of rare meat, and when I see one plated with a sea of red around it . . . ugh.  But for those of you who enjoy it, I say go for it!

The temps have gradually been warming, so we're trying to redecorate our deck a bit - once the annuals hit the greenhouses, we'll be able to add more pops of colour to it.  In the meantime, we bought her highness, Princess Sochi of Chellwood a new pillow which she took to as soon as I set it on the living room floor.  It seems we may need another one for the deck now . . . Pillow.jpg.d9330c234e0d1d6e0cb09e305774de1b.jpg

Here's a problem we've been having in our city for the past couple of days - getting random calls from Latvia, Jamaica, Bosnia, Uganda, Egypt, and dozens more.  The calls ring once, then show up on your "recent calls" and that's it.  It's driving people crazy, especially those who don't have land lines and can't shut their phones down at night (think emergency workers), and it's happening on different long distance carriers.  One person reported more than 26 in an 18 hour period.  I just ignore them, (and we still have a land line to use) but it's certainly a hot topic here!

@summer slope that looks like an all-day drink for 1!  LOL

Another nice day in the works, so I think we'll fire up the barbecue and do some burgers.  Along with corn on the cob and a small coleslaw, that's what is being planned for our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Raising the glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list (thanks for including DH's event, Roy)!  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s) and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 26

Good morning everyone.Another nice and warm day today. Not sure about that quote, but I’ll celebrate Babe Ruth and Morse code.

I’m so excited for my grandson who landed a new job in the entertainment business in LA . He’s been working remotely from NY  for another LA company while looking for a new job and will be returning to LA to go apartment hunting. He and I are  not yet vaccinated, so I won’t get to see him before he leaves. Haven’t seen him since June, but we text regularly.

Think we might venture outside to a local restaurant tonight at an off hour for an early dinner outside. So tired of cooking and eating home.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 23

Good  morning  and  thanks  for  our  Daily. I  will  say  "no  thanks"  to  the  recipe  and  Roy's  Prime  Rib. These  days  I  find  I  eat  differently. Today  I  am  meeting  my  Australian  friend  for  lunch  at  our  local  Diner. It  will  be  the  first  time  for  me  to  eat  INSIDE. A  milestone. We  have  had  outside  get  togethers in  all  sorts  of  weather  over  the  last  year  and  change. Exciting!

@ger_77, I  loved  your  lawn  art  and  party description. Thanks  for  showing  us!

Have  a  good  day. It  will  get  up  to  60  or  so  today  and  80  tomorrow.        Terry

• Like 17