Flying same day. What time to check in by (Ft Lauderdale)?

fstuff1

i'm looking at Equinox (sept).

from my home airport, i reach Ft Lauderdale at 1pm or Miami at 1:25pm.

Whats the latest time i  need to be onboard? (dont remember since its a long time because Covid)

Celebrity has been departing FLL at 6pm recently. That means 4:30 or so as the latest. I’m sure there are posters who have checked in much closer, But the OP is setting up for failure, as do those that fly in same day, but this one is even tighter than many others who do so. 

No backup; no options; tight even if all goes perfectly. Why do that? 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 4

If your sailing out of Ft Lauderdale  flying into Miami adds a good 45-60 to your trip.  If you have a 6pm departure then latest check-in would be around 4.

If you fly to FLL and everything goes right ( no delayed or cancelled flight, luggage arrives, Uber or taxi available ) you will be fine.  But it is too close for comfort for me.

• Like 2

i haven't booked the cruise yet:

back to back 12night southern carribean and 9night ABC islands

- sun sept 5 to sun sept 26.

- i can also do fri, aug 27 to fri, sept 17. (abc islands then southern Caribbean)

(both 6pm departure, and i plan to take celebrity cruise shuttle from fort lauderdale airport to cruise port)

i assume fri is less crowded at airport and cruise port than sun?

or because cruises are just starting up, it doesnt matter right now?

Edited by fstuff1

FLL and MIA airports are very busy well beyond us cruisers and Friday is usually a Very busy flight day, so don’t plan it being easy. 

If you are taking Celebrity Air and therefore can get the Celebrity Shuttle, I guess that works. And the cruises you are looking at sound just great. enjoy! 

I won’t beat it to death (well, I will!), but you might find it much less stressful flying in the day prior. Just think about the days leading up to your departure and watching the weather, the flight delays….etc. But with Celebrity Air, that might decrease your concern….a bit. 

Den

• Like 1

I believe Celebrity is assigning check in times.  I don't know for a fact but have read some accounts that those who checked in for Celebrity Edge a few days ago stated the check in times were being strictly adhered to.  I don't believe anyone is being accommodated checkin too early.  Not sure what they'd do if you're late.

I'm not all doom and gloom when it comes to flying in the day of.  But, I do agree to have a back up plan if you're scheduled flight is delayed, doesn't happen, etc.

First and foremost, no connecting  flights, which double your delayed/canceled flight odds.  I'd like to be at  MIA no later than probably noon.

I checked on Celebrity transport from the airport to the pier.  It's been awhile, but I vaguely remember their shuttle not getting to the ship until somewhere around 3:00 p.m. 

I like to have 2 alternate possible flight options available to me if my initial flight is canceled.  Plus, if your MIA flight gets delayed or canceled, you can always grab a flight to FLL, which is closer to the pier to begin with.

Celebrity offers this check-in advice (note they indicate you need to be checked in no later than 60 minutes prior to scheduled sailing time - earlier seems highly recommended above)

When can I check-in for my cruise?

The health and safety of our guests, crew, and the communities in which we operate are our top priority. We are guided by the recommendations of our Healthy Sail Panel and the requirements of countries where we sail. We will provide clear communication about what you need to know for your cruise in advance of your sail date, including check in dates, health and safety information, app notifications and the shore excursions available for your cruise. Our cruise check-in window opens closer to your sailing date, which differs from our traditional check-in timeline.

When it’s time to check in, we recommend you use the Celebrity Cruises app to check in all guests on your reservation. The app provides a quick and easy check-in process so you can start your vacation sooner. Updates include: 

• Your arrival time at the terminal - a scheduled arrival time at the terminal on your sail date 

• The required Health Questionnaire – only available in advance in the app 

• Our reimagined Guest Safety Briefing - Simply tap the Safety icon on the homepage to launch the Safety Briefing, whether you’re in the terminal or you’ve just stepped onboard, to complete the first steps of the Safety Briefing before heading to your assigned Assembly Station. Remember all guests must complete the Safety Briefing before the ship can sail. 

· Extended app check in window - Check in using the app until 8am the morning of your sailing 

As before, guests may also check in using our website up to 48 hours before sailing. Guests must complete check in, however, using the app or at the terminal. We highly recommend completing check in using the app for the easiest, fastest, and complete check-in experience. 

• Celebrity Cruises requires guests to be checked in no later than 60 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time. Guests arriving late will not be permitted to sail.  

•  When you check-in at the terminal, show your Xpress Pass in the app to the terminal agent to scan and complete the check-in process. 

The airports are zoos right now.   It seems every family is flying.   The TSAs are only partially staffed as are the airline workers.    Wonder if things will be better in September but I wouldn’t bet on it.   We flew last weekend and the airports and flights were totally full.   Long lines for restrooms and for food.  Guess we need to get people back to work as they are trying to run operations with major staff shortages.

• Like 1

Too stressful for me!  Always at least one day, and usually two, before sail date for us.  We like to relax on our flight and then at the hotel before our cruise.  Did same day years ago and never again.  Please just consider it, you may be glad you did!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

i'm looking at Equinox (sept).

from my home airport, i reach Ft Lauderdale at 1pm or Miami at 1:25pm.

Whats the latest time i  need to be onboard? (dont remember since its a long time because Covid)

!! Bad Move, VERY BAD !

Add me to the long list of previous posters who have said that flying in the day you sail is a bad idea. There are too many horror stories about folks, flying in on sailing day, missing the ship or missing luggage. Then let’s talk about the possibility of weather (it’s hurricane season in Florida) delaying or canceling flights. The hurricane/tropical storm may not affect your cruise departure, but it can affect flights into the airport. 

I live within a reasonable driving distance of Port Miami and Port Everglades. I could leave my house at 7AM and be at the port by noon or 1 PM.  I always drive down the day before. All it would take is a multi car accident on Southbound I-95 to cause me to miss the ship. Not going to risk it.

To sum it up, fly in the day before, have a nice dinner somewhere,  and get to the ship with no worries. Start your holiday a day early.

• Like 1

As others have said, fly in the day before.

Otherwise, someone here will start a Vegas line if you’ll make it or not.                                                                                       

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The OP hasn't even said where his/her home airport is or what time of year we're talking about.  The last time I tried flying in day-of was from ATL to FLL.  Easy-peasy right?  Nope.  It was January 7 and an ice storm hit.  A brilliant flight attendant decided to leave home at the usual time....30 miles away from ATL.  The guy who served my bloody Mary at the airport made it to work.   The gate staff made it to work.  The FA didn't, and after a huge delay for crew I made the ship with 30 minutes to spare.  Don't fly in day of.  There's a huge thread on this less than a week old.  

18 minutes ago, marieps said:

The OP hasn't even said where his/her home airport is or what time of year we're talking about.  The last time I tried flying in day-of was from ATL to FLL.  Easy-peasy right?  Nope.  It was January 7 and an ice storm hit.  A brilliant flight attendant decided to leave home at the usual time....30 miles away from ATL.  The guy who served my bloody Mary at the airport made it to work.   The gate staff made it to work.  The FA didn't, and after a huge delay for crew I made the ship with 30 minutes to spare.  Don't fly in day of.  There's a huge thread on this less than a week old.  

Bless your heart. 
That’s like the time we were flying out and the light on the cockpit door that indicates the door is locked wouldn’t work. The door would lock - the pilot locked and and unlocked it and the FA tugged on the locked door about 10 times, but the light wouldn’t come on. It’s a 45 minute flight to Atl. But no, they couldn’t go. Had to fly a maintenance guy and a light bulb down from Atl.

4 hours ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

As others have said, fly in the day before.

Otherwise, someone here will start a Vegas line if you’ll make it or not.                                                                                       

Motel 6, they will keep the light on for you 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Celebrity has been departing FLL at 6pm recently. That means 4:30 or so as the latest. I’m sure there are posters who have checked in much closer, But the OP is setting up for failure, as do those that fly in same day, but this one is even tighter than many others who do so. 

No backup; no options; tight even if all goes perfectly. Why do that? 

Den

Has anyone checked hotels in Ft Lauderdale lately. Hotels have doubled their rates for people coming in day before cruise. The rates are crazy. They know the dates cruises are sailing and they are jacking up the prices. If I'm flying in the day of I let Celebrity book the flights, and the transfers to the ship. It works.

20 minutes ago, traveline said:

Has anyone checked hotels in Ft Lauderdale lately. Hotels have doubled their rates for people coming in day before cruise. The rates are crazy. They know the dates cruises are sailing and they are jacking up the prices. If I'm flying in the day of I let Celebrity book the flights, and the transfers to the ship. It works.

The danger currently is that they're not allowing downline boarding due to the extra protocols in place for COVID, so if you miss the debarkation, then you miss the cruise.  No chance to meet them at the first port.  Even with Celebrity booking the flights, there is no real guarantee with them.  There is marketing language that leads some to believe that they will get you to the ship no matter what, but that is wishful thinking.

• Like 2