The Daily for Friday October 15, 2021

richwmn

Good morning! We lost internet yesterday due to solar storm which was affecting satellite. It’s back this morning and working quite well.

Last night we really enjoyed a female vocal impressionist who did Janis Joplin, Cher and even Louis Armstrong among others. Like crew the entertainers are so happy to be back. Tonight the Do Wops!

All is well here aboard the MS Nieuw Amsterdam. Hard to be grouchy but I met one the other day. Complained about everything! Some people are never happy. 

Pinnacle breakfast, Covid test at noon and then an afternoon of lazing and basking.

Thanks Rich and to all our contributors.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  WOW on the days.  I know you can find something to celebrate.  Have not been to today's port.  DH loves Salmon but only gets it on a BHB.  I don't care for it, don't even want to cook it.

Prayers and toasts to all of us.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Rob Roy:

Ingredients
2 ounces scotch
3/4 ounce sweet vermouth
3 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: brandied cherry

Steps
Add the scotch, sweet vermouth and bitters into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with 2 speared brandied cherries.

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 8.02.25 AM.png

I never had this drink but my sister likes scotch and I think see has had a Rob Roy or two over the years.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

A quick good morning from central Texas.  We stopped by our neighbor's anniversary party for a few minutes last night, and they did a good job setting it up.  The party went on until some time between 9 and 10.  Fortunately, they had a good night for it.

An interesting and large collection of days to celebrate, both those on the list and the others @richwmn Rich added.

The quote is very true.

Will pass on the drink and the wine.  The meal looks good, and we do have salmon in the freezer, but won't be fixing it today.

We have not been to today's port.

Sorry so many are having CC problems again.  Hope they are straightened out soon.

@kazu  Here's hoping you weather improves at least until you finish your yard work. 🤞

@Seasick Sailor Joy, it sounds like your remodel is almost finished.

@VMax1700  Colin, I hope your back and ankle improve more and don't give you trouble Monday.

I better get moving so we can get on the road this morning.  Depending on the internet, I'll check back later once we stop for the day and get settled.

Lenda

• Like 24

Good morning everyone. I continue to have to fool CC to post here but now that I learned the trick, I’m ok. That’s a great collection of days. As a 6 year survivor of breast cancer I definitely recommend yearly mammograms.

It seems my daily struggle with companies continues. After four or five calls I finally got the vascular Opthomologist to fax his records to the referring Opthomologist. Then I had to deal with my bank who sent an electronic check to the lady who helped me with the insurance. After 10 days she still hadn’t received the check and the bank suggested I cancel the check and pay a $30 fee. I had to wait to speak to a supervisor and explain that the bank sent the check and it wasn’t my fault that they said she received it when she didn’t . They agreed and waived the fee. Today it will be my flood insurance policy which is complicated because the condo has a master plan and they pay first for the outside. They have a $50,000 dollar deductible for the whole place and then a million in coverage but the board decides who should get money. My insurance company is checking it out today. And so it goes.

Planning to take Sam out for lunch today because we are expecting great weather. And yes, before I forget, the aide tested negative for covid but they will do a test every week till he’s two weeks past his second shot.

The salmon recipe sounds great. I’ve often made it with some Mayo and Mustard and bread crumbs.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A lot of gray and very important days to celebrate. I was a bit grumpy this morning, so I'll chalk it up to it's day.😉 Started feeling happier soon after I started reading the Daily.

The quote is very true. The meal sounds great.

We have already been working on doors and the shower this morning, so @rafinmdyou can take us off the care list. The cough is hanging around but has greatly subsided. Thank you all for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers.

Sorry so many are having CC troubles. 

@Quartzsite Cruiserwishing you safe travels.

@kazuI hope the weather improves for you.

@VMax1700hopefully your experience on Monday will be much better than what you've heard about. Also praying your ankle and back continue to improve.

Well, better get back to it.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 23

Good morning  to all.What a large collection of  days and so much to celebrate. I have tried  not to be a grouch but it has been  a challenge  lately.I have had mostly good bosses and hope I was a good one as well.

I have not been to the port and like the looks of the recipe.DD and I enjoy salmon,the others are not enthused.Tonight I will have all six of us for  ravioli from our favorite  pasta shop.Easy!

DD sent me a picture of her black cat in her Halloween  house.Everyone decorates around here......

Terry

5812.jpeg

• Like 28

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Wow, a girl goes away for a week and there's a ton of catching up to do here!  DH and I are our own bosses, and I think we're good with them.  Don't see many white canes these days, and I try not to be a grouch, there are enough out there as it is.

We returned late last evening from our wonderful week away with our DS and his family.  There's a reason why child bearing/rearing is relegated to the young; those two little boys are hard to keep up with!  The older DGS (6) is self-sufficient, but is a bit of a picky eater, so needs encouragement to get enough nourishment into him.  The younger one (22 months) is such a going concern - he's been running since he was 8 months old and is starting to talk.  Currently his favourite phrase is "need help", then he takes you to where he needs assistance.  LOL   We took some family photos in the park across the street from their house and I'm anxious to see how they turned out, as it was a beautiful sunny morning.  True to Calgary weather though, about 30 minutes later we had clouds, wind, and later that day - snow. 

I have to tell you that Alberta is doing a better job at monitoring Covid than our home province of Saskatchewan is.  Even going into a fast food restaurant, one has to wear a mask, show proof of vaccination and provide photo ID.  Fortunately, we downloaded our proof to an app on our phones and had them readily available when needed.  Hopefully our province will get it's act together soon, as it's getting scary out there.

Today is laundry day, so that will take up some time, as well as taking care of the plants we brought indoors for the winter.  I like today's menu suggestion, and we happen to have some salmon in the freezer, so I think I'll put it together for dinner tonight.  I'll have to run out and pick up groceries, as our fridge is rather empty, and will pick up some Dijon mustard.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them - especially those I have missed over this past week with scary test results and other health issues - and we'll raise our glasses high tonight to toast all on the celebration list.   Stay safe, wash your hands, be well and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 27

55 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A quick good morning from central Texas.  We stopped by our neighbor's anniversary party for a few minutes last night, and they did a good job setting it up.  The party went on until some time between 9 and 10.  Fortunately, they had a good night for it.

An interesting and large collection of days to celebrate, both those on the list and the others @richwmn Rich added.

The quote is very true.

Will pass on the drink and the wine.  The meal looks good, and we do have salmon in the freezer, but won't be fixing it today.

We have not been to today's port.

Sorry so many are having CC problems again.  Hope they are straightened out soon.

@kazu  Here's hoping you weather improves at least until you finish your yard work. 🤞

@Seasick Sailor Joy, it sounds like your remodel is almost finished.

@VMax1700  Colin, I hope your back and ankle improve more and don't give you trouble Monday.

I better get moving so we can get on the road this morning.  Depending on the internet, I'll check back later once we stop for the day and get settled.

Lenda

Safe travels, you two!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Wow, a girl goes away for a week and there's a ton of catching up to do here!  DH and I are our own bosses, and I think we're good with them.  Don't see many white canes these days, and I try not to be a grouch, there are enough out there as it is.

We returned late last evening from our wonderful week away with our DS and his family.  There's a reason why child bearing/rearing is relegated to the young; those two little boys are hard to keep up with!  The older DGS (6) is self-sufficient, but is a bit of a picky eater, so needs encouragement to get enough nourishment into him.  The younger one (22 months) is such a going concern - he's been running since he was 8 months old and is starting to talk.  Currently his favourite phrase is "need help", then he takes you to where he needs assistance.  LOL   We took some family photos in the park across the street from their house and I'm anxious to see how they turned out, as it was a beautiful sunny morning.  True to Calgary weather though, about 30 minutes later we had clouds, wind, and later that day - snow. 

I have to tell you that Alberta is doing a better job at monitoring Covid than our home province of Saskatchewan is.  Even going into a fast food restaurant, one has to wear a mask, show proof of vaccination and provide photo ID.  Fortunately, we downloaded our proof to an app on our phones and had them readily available when needed.  Hopefully our province will get it's act together soon, as it's getting scary out there.

Today is laundry day, so that will take up some time, as well as taking care of the plants we brought indoors for the winter.  I like today's menu suggestion, and we happen to have some salmon in the freezer, so I think I'll put it together for dinner tonight.  I'll have to run out and pick up groceries, as our fridge is rather empty, and will pick up some Dijon mustard.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them - especially those I have missed over this past week with scary test results and other health issues - and we'll raise our glasses high tonight to toast all on the celebration list.   Stay safe, wash your hands, be well and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

It's good to see you back and posting.  Happy to hear you had such a wonderful visit with the kids and grandsons.  ❤️

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Okay, here I go again with pix. We've been to Olbia twice - once on the Prinsendam back in 2009 and again on the Zuiderdam in 2015. We had two totally different experiences. in 2009, we just strolled around the town and had a lovely lunch with some of the staff from the Prinsendam - some of you may remember Frank Buckingham and Thom and Tina Faulkner. First pix are from that stop.

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 015.jpg

Picture 019.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning All,

We have a beautiful morning shaping up here, but we’re supposed to go to 90, so summer isn’t gone. I have an appointment Tuesday with a landscaper who MIGHT be able to start our project with moving valves and pipes, then resuming/ finishing at a later date. He’s otherwise backed up until January 8. 

I’ll celebrate the days today, especially Sewing Day and Bosses Day. Am working on a doublet to finish a pseudo Renaissance costume for an upcoming event. Finished the pumpkin pants yesterday. And will email greetings to some former bosses. My last several were gems. 

@Seasick Sailor Your crew “concert” brought back a very loosely associated story from our last remodel ( when we had the bathrooms rebuilt). It was really hot- over 100. The guys would not put on or keep the air conditioning on. ( and really it wouldn’t have been that effective in the tiny bathroom they were working in). Anyway, I stopped in unexpectedly (after an appt with Dad before going in to work) and there was all this commotion as I opened the front door. The Lead craftsman, who could pass for a sumo wrestler, was around the corner, no shirt, wearing tiny shorts ( somewhere- you’ve got the picture😲). He was startled, and apologetic for his attire, and frantically looking for SOMETHING. ( I know we both were silently praying his elastic would hold.)😨🙏   So I quickly went upstairs, trying to alleviate the discomfort, and act like nothing was happening. 😇

His coworker, (6’ 23”, 150, all arms and legs, you’ve got the picture) was in the shower space, very long arms flailing quickly around, and a shirt falling down over his torso. He looks up and apologizes for not having his shirt on. Lead comes up, had a jacket or something on, takes a look at his co-worker, points his finger and yells “Dude, that’s MY shirt”. This huge shirt was hanging loosely like a sleeping bag or a scarecrow on the second guy.  Oh my gosh, we laughed so hard.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 11
  • Haha 12

The second stop on the Zuiderdam, we did take a tour that took us well out of town. The first picture is just a few of the many mussel posts. Sardinia is very rocky and hilly. We left by bus, got on a ferry, then we got to La Maddelena, one of the islands in the archipelago. Then we got on a bus and toured there. There was some amazing scenery.

Olbia Sail-in (4).JPG

Olbia Sail-in (9).JPG

Touring Sardinia and La Maddalena (12).JPG

Touring Sardinia and La Maddalena (13).JPG

Touring Sardinia and La Maddalena (18).JPG

Touring Sardinia and La Maddalena (47).JPG

Touring Sardinia and La Maddalena (66).JPG

Edited by tjcox9
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Just popped in to say hello from Split, Croatia.  It is a cool morning and now, at midday has only reached 15°C/60°F.  There is an element of wind chill as well.

Only once did I not have a good boss, and I surely hope that when my time came, I was perceived as a good boss.

Grouch day is my day, specially in the morning 😂

My back continues to heal and I hope to be fit for disembarking on Monday.  We just hope that there will be assistance available as there have been a few horror stories of pax having to drag suitcases across cobbles etc.

Thoughts 🙏 are with those on the care list and  👏 to those on the shout outs.

Stay safe everyone.

I called guest services the night before I was to leave the ship on Oct 6th.  They sent a man to my cabin at 5 AM that day to assist me with my large suitcase. He went with me to BB Kings and then to the end of the gangway.  He was not permitted to go any further, so I was on my own after that.  I managed ok, but felt sorry for the lady with the walker who was pushing it with her luggage perched on the seat.  Wonder if any wheelchair passengers left the ship that day. I didn't see any. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 9

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning everyone!

The Kindle is the only thing working on CC today.  I hope I can figure out how to post links and pictures on here.

The salmon sounds wonderful.  I do eat a lot of fish and salmon is a favorite.  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22538/baked-salmon-fillets-dijon/

baked-salmon-fillets-dijon-recipe.thumb.jpg.d63cbae8d7b42ada568c663ec4324730.jpg

Here's another recipe. https://www.cookincanuck.com/maple-dijon-baked-salmon-recipe/

Maple-Dijon-Baked-Salmon.jpg.400f0ff56ae2d1c025dc5a5d24d7c36b.jpg

Ok, I am pressing my luck here.   I hope CC gets straightened out soon.  I've cleared the cache, deleted cookies and restarted the computer numerous times.  Nothing is working.

Looks very interesting.  We eat a lot of salmon at home.  

• Like 12

Good morning and thank all! 
I wish CC would deal with what ever is causing all the issues,  makes reacting impossible and posting very difficult and time consuming!   It didn’t happen before their last update and seems to impact us all at different times.  
We visited Sardinia,  but the port  of Cagliari and some amazing pastries! 
image.thumb.jpeg.5732f988d01bd3a2d09450df7b91fdd0.jpeg

22DC387C-EE05-4F51-B82F-60B142875342.jpeg

A328974F-C8B2-44DF-9630-9B0469E3A074.jpeg

0A1DC7BA-90CF-4ACC-8E14-2B82FD53DAE8.jpeg

E4286F37-C76F-437A-AA2E-333594D36470.jpeg

03144BF5-6587-4853-B55C-1E3E03519858.jpeg

C7E64C53-4648-4D43-80A1-C20B6999883A.jpeg

C14B3DC8-4320-4CE5-9E94-EC0F1760D8EB.jpeg

929137A9-30AA-458A-A281-A35C66781A5B.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from the lovely Koningsdam!  We had such a great time yesterday on our Sonoma Wine tour with @AncientWandererMaxine, her DH, and @lazey1Jane. 

0D860982-B0F8-4197-9F2E-A985EA3B5373.thumb.jpeg.05a1c3568aa2c4fa12ee8e931506d406.jpeg

It was warm in Sonoma but the minute you cross the Golden Gate Bridge it gets windy and chilly. 

We ate lunch at a restaurant I would love to go back to. Lots of good things on the menu. 

16BF2BBD-B312-4A9E-8B82-7B2B41734D96.thumb.jpeg.c9a3623e24c5c13e32226ffaedc09b88.jpeg

87A635F7-D751-474E-837E-9CFAC6A57E15.thumb.jpeg.79b27e1c9781d947717704e7d8631e0d.jpeg

087847C9-AF3E-4CE4-9F67-63B1AD2ADA03.thumb.jpeg.11505ecd7019c05d398203f3fc4eb4b6.jpeg

43BB21D6-465D-4150-B6C6-B1786F046A13.thumb.jpeg.6c520120e13094f88e766e4089586fcf.jpeg

Today is a sea day on our way to Ensenada so it will be a nice relaxing day. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, all. Of the wide range of days, I may celebrate sewing day and make some festive masks for our trip to Mexico next month. Salmon fillets sound good. I have some smoked salmon filets in the freezer, and today may be their day!

Ive never been to today’s port and appreciate the pictures of those who have. CC is being silly today, so let’s hope this posts!

Happy Friday to, especially to those about to embark on a BHB soon.

48305F8B-CCB9-43DF-AFB5-A8D7001A4A62.thumb.jpeg.64fd0eb6fd4da4ed009e010467c802ea.jpeg

• Like 18