Are suites worth it?

CruiseRQA

We are just off the Apex and were in a suite (sky suite) for the first time.   Our last cruise (pre-COVID) was aquaclass on Edge.   We previously have sailed Celebrity in standard veranda rooms. 

Overall we enjoyed our cruise very much but in thinking ahead wonder if the Suite and Retreat experience was a good value.   I know the majority of people here will say yes.    Let me opine on each aspect of the suite life.

1.  The room.   Was very nice but not all that large or substantially better than our IV room on Edge.   Enjoyed the nice bathroom.   But overall, for the price, the room isn't a value worth the price

2.  The Retreat.   The reception area and bar are nice spaces but again, food and drink are everywhere on the Apex and places to hang out inside are plentiful so in and of itself not a value worth the price.  The retreat concierge was nice but really didn't do anything for us that I couldn't do on the app.   Eden was sold out by day 2 of our cruise and she put us on some "list" but that was the last I heard of that.

3.   Pool area.   The pool and hot tub area were nice but were the most crowded space on the whole ship.   We spent some time there but truthfully found the solarium a less crowded and quieter space.    We did enjoy the non-pool side of the retreat which which was almost vacant most of the time.

4.  Luminae.   Now this we enjoyed.   The service was very good and a bit better than in Blu.   The food was great and I thought a notch above what we had 2 years ago in Blue.   Breakfast menu could have used some unique daily items as it was the same menu everyday.

In summary, if one's financial status is such that price is not really a concern I would book a suite every time.   On the other end of the spectrum if your financial situation is a bit tighter I certainly wouldn't stretch my finances to have a suite.   It won't improve your cruise experience that much.   We reside financially  somewhere in-between and so we may or may not choose a suite again.    I don't think the value added is generally worth the price but I will consider it depending on pricing.    And the stock market!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

As you mentioned, "worth it" is totally a personal situation and depends on many things.  It's funny how it might work out, too.  For example, I don't think we would find a Sky Suite worth the extra cost on S and M class ships, but the super-extra cost for CS and higher does make sense because we find a lot of value in having the separate bedroom.  However, on E-class ships, we might find the Sky Suite worth it because we want a true veranda and not the "infinite veranda."

I'll also throw in that there are a number of other perks, tangible and intangible, that come into play with higher suites.  Again, though, "value" is a personal calculation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think there is any right or wrong answer.   For us it also depends on perceived value or value added.  

We feel the same about the cost.   Sometimes we can’t justify the the additional cost.   If it is in reason than we may go for AQ or a suite and it all depends on the ship.  Everything has to be evaluated at the time.  

The highest we would spring for is a SS.  I could never afford or justify the Iconic Suite and if I could I still couldn’t justify it.   It is hard to believe that those sell out.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We had a S2 booked on Edge for March 2020 and it was cancelled.

We had every intention of duplicating that booking on either Edge again or Apex.

Until we kept reading how the Retreat is so crowded....the most crowded area on the ship, so it seems.  This area is fully booked, where the rest of the ship is not.

So if this persists, when we get ready to book E Class again (we recently cancelled a short Brilliance cruise), we'll look at the SV verandas, or go back to MSC, where I know the Yacht Club will give us the "space" we desire.

What's the difference in suites:non-suites percentage wise on E class ships vs S class? I've read a couple things about crowding on E class, and didn't know if that was owing to more suite guests onboard.. or less space for them? 

Tom

9 minutes ago, mafig said:

We had a S2 booked on Edge for March 2020 and it was cancelled.

We had every intention of duplicating that booking on either Edge again or Apex.

Until we kept reading how the Retreat is so crowded....the most crowded area on the ship, so it seems.  This area is fully booked, where the rest of the ship is not.

So if this persists, when we get ready to book E Class again (we recently cancelled a short Brilliance cruise), we'll look at the SV verandas, or go back to MSC, where I know the Yacht Club will give us the "space" we desire.

The crowding issue is stopping us, and we are not even close to germaphobes. 

With the push for revenue (no surprise) you can almost be 100% sure that the entire suite area will be booked - any gaps filled by move up bids.  Can't justify the extra $ to sail in a crowd.  Maybe in a year or two, but not now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it comes down to disposable income. For the cost of a Suite on one cruise you could go on 2 - 3 cruises in a veranda. Quality vs Quantity.

I had two fiends go on sperate vacations to Hawaii at the same time. The one with money, stayed at the Four Seasons and the one with less money stayed at the Best Western. When they returned the one who stayed at the Four Seasons was complaining about everything. The one who stayed at the Best Western said she had the time of her life. I guess it all comes down to expectations and your attitude. 

• Like 12

In the past I would have said, personally it's a no. Which is an odd stance for me due to my line of work. However there are two factors that more recently sway me to yes. We enjoy E class ships and if you catch it correctly, the pricing difference when all things considered + OBC is not that far off to jump from CC/Aqua to a Sky Suite. Also, like most, our travel spend has been significantly reduced since 2020 so I don't mind spending more. 

We are elite plus. We have sailed in every category except inside.  Many years ago, my TA told me that booking a suite on a mass market ship is not a good choice. If you have the money, book on a ship that has all suites.  While we still sail occasionally on Celebrity , mostly verandas, we have moved on to other cruise lines.  

We say no. Cost, of any suite is not a problem, the problem is the value you are getting for it is. Of the four perks that are available, when booking a suite, the only one we put any value to is the gratuities. We enjoy the room, the Retreat, and Luminae but not at the pricing they charge, even if you can book under the Simply Sale.

13 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

We are elite plus. We have sailed in every category except inside.  Many years ago, my TA told me that booking a suite on a mass market ship is not a good choice. If you have the money, book on a ship that has all suites.  While we still sail occasionally on Celebrity , mostly verandas, we have moved on to other cruise lines.  

There's something to be said for that, but I don't completely agree. We still often want what larger ships have to offer. While the upper scale ships are getting there, they aren't quite there yet (or, if they are, the cruise tends to cost twice as much).

Like you, though, we're shifting. We have about 50 nights on Silversea and will sail with them again in April. 

We LOVE the S-Class ships.  Since my favorite place is the Solstice Deck, we are driven to try to book Sky Suites in order to get a place on that deck.

I've learned that if I book as soon as the schedule is released, it is often considerably less expensive than later on.  If I don't like the price when I first book, I keep watching, plus try to use the Move-Up process.

In November and December, we stayed in a Reflection Sky Suite, Summit Veranda, and Reflection Veranda.  On the Summit, our first time, we realized that if we sail on a M-Class ship in the future, we want to be certain we are in a CC or Sky Suite no matter what.  The Veranda rooms are smaller than the others.   On the second Reflection cruise, we realized that while we are reasonably satisfied in the veranda, the closet in the sky suite and the bathroom in the sky suite make a large difference.  

It also depends on who we are traveling with, as well as how many guests are on board the ship.  If we are by ourselves on a crowded ship, we spend a lot more time on our private balcony.  If we are traveling with our (grown) kids, we spend much less time in our room and on our private balcony. 

So, the best answer is, it is all personal.

28 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I'd of told that TA, if she/he were mine, sorry but you are wrong.

• Like 1

Yes, we love suites and there perks, less hassle getting on board, we enjoy the retreat on Edge , Luminae is normally very good , but agree seemed a little crowded on the edge . Doubt we will ever sail on celebrity unless we are in a suite, rather cruise less but do it first class .

• Like 2

No one has mentioned itinerary (that I saw).  To me that's a big factor.  Also number of sea days.  If you are sailing during warm weather chances are you will be indoors/in cabin a lot less than if you are cruising where it might be cooler/raining more  (AK near offseason, NE/Canada, Iceland, etc).   As far as the food part with the pricing I've seen lately you really can eat in a specialty restaurant A LOT and still spend less than a suite.  I've done several suites because I got some good pricing and have never regretted it at all but I haven't seen any deals lately.   

"Worth it" ... Definitely a vague concept.

Unless applied to a sliding scale of disposable income, meaningless.  

Since we're talking accommodations, try applying the same question to hotels.  Yeah, a Motel 6 is just where you sleep when on vacation, you don't spend much time in the room...

Now, how many people of reasonable means, where the choice doesn't limit the trips that can be made, would put that at the top of their list of choices for accommodation while on vacation?  

20 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I'd of told that TA, if she/he were mine, sorry but you are wrong.

I'm not sure about that, actually I think the TA is right and that approach makes a lot of since.  With X's suite pricing the way it is these days you can upgrade to some of the better quality cruise lines for the same money, even less money in some cases.  X's suite pricing is not what it used to be but it's a business and they are going to take what they can get people to pay.

• Like 1

We have cruised on all the luxury lines and find the prices close to the X suites. We have sailed in X suites but actually enjoy Blu. If we were on a Transatlantic a suite would be considered. 

We really enjoyed the SV cabin with large Balcony on Edge and Apex. Thought the four MDR were fabulous and no waiting to be seated. 

I think suites on X are overpriced. 

• Like 1

Sorry, for us the answer is now "not really" unless we can get a corner aft-facing sky suite with all the perks for less than $325 pp/day.

Why? We really have no need for a butler, hanging out in the Retreat Lounge or outside up on the Retreat Deck. But, if you like having access to those services, book your suite as early as you can as the per person prices do seem to creep up starting around 6 months after the itineraries are first posted.

BTW our next cruise is on the Reflection in a couple of weeks in a corner aft-facing SS cabin with all of the perks at a price of $274 pp/day, so it can be done.

Edited by Ken the cruiser