The Daily for Sunday 02/13/2022

richwmn

Good morning, all! Just a moment of wifi before we hit the road on our final drive to Palm Springs. We get to skirt LA in Super Bowl Sunday traffic. They say it will be the hottest weather a Super Bowl has ever been played in. Good Times!

Happy Sunday, and it’s as warm here as on a BHB!

FE243249-7439-4274-BEBF-9D19B2B09405.thumb.jpeg.e955a7ff180983dec3bc84f13167fa49.jpeg

• Like 28

Good Morning All,

Another very warm (hot) day is shaping up. We’re planning on going to a museum that was closed when we tried a few months back. And to the store where they are building our island to sign off on the design and pick the grout. 

@kazu Lovely flowers. I bet Jose loves them. I had pictured cut calls and tulips.

@grapau27 Those sure are lovely palm trees growing in England.😉

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 22

Good morning all!

Another morning of heavy frost (34F) but heading up to a sunny 54 degrees this afternoon -- the warmest day yet this year.  I won't be watching any of the Super Bowl, I plan to garden most of the day again today.  DH probably will watch off and on.  The taco recipes today look really yummy, but we just had tacos last night.  I haven't decided yet what will be for dinner tonight.

I enjoyed reading others' marriage stories yesterday and today.  DH and I are another couple "they" said would never last.  I was 18, he was 21 and in the military.  He was a Southern boy (Savannah) and I had never been further east than the Dakotas.  After being married only 2 months he was sent to Viet Nam for a full year....rough for anyone but especially newly weds, but we made it and have been married now for over 52 years.  

@HeartgroveYay a girl!  Congratulations!

Have a wonderful day everyone, stay safe and healthy 🙂  

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning again! Enjoyed a great sermon and message this morning. Back home and time for another coffee, newspaper and crossword puzzle. 

No walk as it’s close to getting some light rain showers in area. Looking forward to “Gluttony Day” which consist of wings, sloppy joes, Texas Caviar, dips, wraps and whatever guest bring. Plus DW is making a pineapple upside down cake!❤️

Haven’t watched much pro football this year but did watch most of the playoffs which were great games. My main sport auto racing kicks off this week with Speed Weeks at Daytona and next Sunday’s Great American Race the Daytona 500.

We’ll be watching Rotterdam Sail Away today as DW’s sisters are going on a back to back cruise. DW’s identical twin will join us for our two weeks back to back in March. So she’s checking everything out for us.

Thanks Rich for the report and to all who contribute to our Daily.

Have a great and healthy week!

• Like 31

3 hours ago, kazu said:

For the Super Bowl fans here:

9AC46F15-5DE9-43E1-B553-D8083135C955.jpeg.c872924fc58239345d2d30904167e706.jpeg

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!  🏈 I am the caterer so will only stop to watch the halftime show and share some snacks.  Hubby found me doing prep work when he came home last night and asked what was on the menu.  His face fell when I said “crudité” so I laughed when I saw your meme.  😂

My son-in-law calls me his WingMom. 🙃  

When I was a teenager I changed my first name  because I had had it with people mispronouncing my name.  When my boyfriend (eventually my husband) suddenly showed up one day with it tattooed on his arm I told him “That’s not my name.” 😂 I reverted back to my given name and have resigned myself to the fact that the only time I will hear it pronounced properly is when I am in the UK.

I do not agree with the quote but I guess it could start a good debate.  Thank you to all who have shared their marriage stories, both yesterday and today.  I have really enjoyed them.

Oh!  I woke up to a winter wonderland today!  Quite the shock when yesterday it was t-shirt weather.  By the time it’s done we will have about 4”.  It’s very pretty.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 31

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday!  

Great collection of days today. We will be watching the Super Bowl commercials today. Craig and I have been married for 47 years. We met on blind dates set up by my youth pastor but we weren’t each other’s blind date. It’s a long story — We didn’t start dating until a year later when we were in college in San Diego.  We married a year later. Even though I really liked my last name I changed it to his. Over the years I added my middle initial after I had to prove my identity when we bought a house. 

We love tacos but I don’t think we will have them today. 

The Husky puppy— Storm has been a challenge. He doesn’t know us so doesn’t want anything to do with us. @marshhawk he’s really gentle, he just looks fierce, probably because he has one blue eye and one brown eye. 

I haven’t read yesterday’s Daily yet so I’m eager to read the stories. I need to make the girls pancakes right now so I’ll check back later. Have a great day everyone!

• Like 28

Good morning from sunny, but a little chilly Quartzsite. It was 40F an hour ago, but it has started warming up nicely.  

We'll be watching the Super Bowl today, mainly for the commercials.  While we've never really followed the NFL, some of the playoff games this year were interesting with overtimes and last second scores.

I changed my last name 54+ years ago when DH and I got married.  So we are celebrating two of the days today. 

I didn't share this yesterday, but we met when we were both students at UT in Austin.  I was working on The Daily Texan, student newspaper, and DH was a photographer for all the student publications.  He saw me one night. and asked several other staffers my name.  I'd been working there for a short time, and one could remember my name.  They got out The Cactus, yearbook, which weighed 7 pounds back then, and started going through the pictures.  Luckily, I'd had my picture taken for the yearbook.  He also had dated one of my sorority sisters and called her to learn more about me.  (He should have known she and her roommate would tell me and give me their opinions.)   

The rest of the story is we had a short date, and for one of us, it was not love at first sight.  Since we both worked on the paper, the other students made sure we got to know each other, and a month and a day after our first date, we were engaged.  We married on September 2, (ages 20 and 22) and when we returned to school everyone on the Texan was expecting us to return with a baby or a baby on board.  It turns out, it was another photographer who came back with what a third photographer described as "a little oops". 

Our older DD did not take her husband's name when they married.  She was established in her career and has a few patents in her maiden name

I like today's quote, and indifference can cause problems.   The meal sounds good, but we'll be having a very unhealthy supper -- cheese dip and nachos.  The drink does not appeal to me, but the meal does.

We have not been to today's port.  Hope one of the Dailyites has pictures to share with us.

@cat shepard  Loved the memes.  I think one is my spirit animal too.  The self-help one made me laugh about the "Art of the Silent Fart".  All our dogs and DDs' dogs perfected the art.  We called them SBDs -- silent but deadly.  😱

@Heartgrove  Yeah on a Girl!  Of course, we'll want pictures after she arrives.

@kazu  Jacqui, the flowers are lovely.  Have a great visit with Jose.  Hope the storm fizzles out.  How did Marley do with getting the pills later?

@ottahand7  Bon Voyage.  Have a great time.

@Mr. Boston  I think your Super Bowl prediction is correct.  😄 

@rafinmd  Roy, I can sympathize with you about bank ownership changing.  Our small bank in Texas, changed hands several years ago with not problem.  Last year, the owner of the bank that bought ours retired and sold to a small Texas bank that is expanding.  This time, it did not go as smoothly.  Got it worked out after several calls to our local branch.  Hang in there, and it will get fixed eventually.

@mamaofami  I hope the nurse agrees with keeping paying for the aides.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm happy they kept the Clydesdales.  Beautiful animals.

@Navybikermom  Time to Say Goodbye (Con Te Partirò) is one of my favorites too.  In 2020, when Captain Jonathan Mercer retired and left the Amsterdam by tender in Manila Bay, the ship played that song as the tender circled the ship.  The crew were on deck or the balconies of their isolation cabins waving as he left.  It was very moving video posted by some of the crew.  When we were on the Koningsdam, talked to one of the Guest Services ladies who was on the Amsterdam then.  We both got teary eyed talking about it.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Safe travels again today.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, today will give the puppy a chance to get to know you.  He does look fierce, so I'm glad he is gentle.

@aliaschief  We'll be watching the races too, or as we call them the "wrecks".  The qualifier in the LA Colosseum was strange.

For everyone in the path of the storm(s), please stay safe and warm.

Three weeks from today, we'll be boarding the Koningsdam for three weeks.  Kind of a symmetry to that.

Lenda

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning>

Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

Super Bowl Sunday. I am one of the outliers. I never bother watching the half time show..

When one of my favorite teams is not playing, I pull for the underdog. So, Go Bengals!

I played sports in my younger days and understand the games. As a result, I oftern turn the sound off for football, basketball or baseball games. I often find the comentaries distracting and not very insiightful.

We had rain earlier this morning and now a cold front will be moving in, but only for a day or two.

Stay safe everyone

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! 

A sunny, but cold day today in St Louis. 

Not a huge fan of the Super Bowl. My church sponsored a Souper Bowl Sunday this month where you could make donations of canned soup for our local food pantry for your favorite team. Our final vote was for…..the Cincinnati Bengals! That may partly be because Stan Kroenke (Ram’s owner) is not a popular person in St Louis and we don’t want to see his team win. That’s sad because honestly Super Bowl XXXIV was the most exciting game I ever watched when the Rams played for St Louis. Good luck Cincinnati!

I cheated and watched the Clydesdale commercial ahead of time and I agree with @StLouisCruisersit’s not the best. Foreign ownership of Anheuser-Busch Brewery has been disappointing, although they did keep the Clydesdales, including the breeding farm in mid-Missouri. 

The food and drink today sound like winners. I haven’t been to the destination.

I did my online church this morning, but I also appreciated your sharing @grapau27I really enjoyed that message especially the story about C.S.Lewis.

Praying for all on the cares list 🙏 and a toast to cruises and visitors and grandchildren and all the happy times. 🍷

Take care, all

St Louis Sal

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sea Viewer said:

When I cruised on MSC Divina this song was played at every sail away, it was magical sitting on the balcony as the ship left port, especially at sunset.

Mary 

It's also the finale of the Italian Night shows on MSC ships, great, great song. My favorite version is by Bocelli and Sarah Brightman.

• Like 19

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

It's going to be a girl !!!  My first granddaughter.

WOO HOO, Jack!  So exciting 🙂 Congrats!

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Still in considerable pain and hope I can get an injection in my hand (at least the right one) to get some relief.  The arms and shoulders are doing slightly better.

I do hope you can get some relief 🙏🏻 Glad to hear that your arms and shoulders are doing a bit better 👍 

2 hours ago, superoma said:

My last few days have been stressful watching events unfold in Canada and especially here in Windsor (making no further comment only giving context) and coming here just brings down my blood pressure.

I know exactly how you feel.  I feel your angst on the developments.  Our son is in Ottawa and sadly in the “zone”.  He can barely leave his apartment 😔 

2 hours ago, Tbay said:

@kazuHow did Marley sleep last night?   

Score is Marley 7 - Jacqui 0.  He was up at 4:30 having to “go”.  At least that’s a bit later so I’ll try the pill even later tonight.  There’s not much later time to go, though.

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

🎉Power just came back on.

Thank heavens!

49 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

The Husky puppy— Storm has been a challenge. He doesn’t know us so doesn’t want anything to do with us

So sorry to hear that 😔 Hopefully he will gain trust and comfort and the challenge will be less each day.  Treats?  Walks?  They. Might help.

39 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, the flowers are lovely.  Have a great visit with Jose.  Hope the storm fizzles out.  How did Marley do with getting the pills later?

Thanks.  DH still thinks they are not for him 😢. Answered TBay on Marley but it was a bit later at least 4:30 is better than 3:45.  Now, if I can just get him to even 5:30.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Here is DW's take on Get A Different Name Day:  She was born with a Chinese name, Tsun Tzu.  But she was born when Taiwan was part of Japan, so she also had a Japanese name, Salako.  Most of her friends knew her as Salako as did I when we met.  After we married she decided to change it to Sala, so people wouldn't assume she was Japanese with a Japanese name.  After a few years in the U.S., some people would assume her name was Sara and assume as Chinese, she couldn't pronounce her Rs.  So one day we decided to just change it to Sara.  No lawyer was required; she just wrote it as Sara when she updated her California driver's license and it has been Sara since then.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I once thought about adding a middle name, as I have none. And not too long ago got my original birth certificate and found my birth name (I was adopted at 7 days old). A salute to wingmen and marriage. Great quote.

I've never had a chicken taco. I'll pass on the drink, but take the merlot.

I've been to Chile, but not this port.

It's cold here today, but at least no precip. I'll try to get a few things done prior to the big game, mainly laundry. I see the Hematologist tomorrow, then a break from appointments until next month.

@kazu Good job on getting the flowers to Jose safely. I hope your weather holds out for your visit today. 

@grapau27 Thanks for today's sermon. Lovely pictures of your dinner with Pauline yesterday.

@Heartgrove Congrats on your first granddaughter!

@Cruzin Terri Enjoy your visit with your friends today. I hope you get some relief from the pain.

@Suslor I share the pain of not having anything monogrammed, with no middle name and no married name.

@1ANGELCAT I'm glad your power outage wasn't too long.

Prayers for the Care List and a toast to the Celebration List.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks for all the posts.  Congratulations, Grandad Jack @Heartgrove on your granddaughter-to-be!  Thanks for the sermon, Graham, nice that you can send it via Spain!  What would we do without the internet these days?  When I first opened my laptop this morning I couldn't get on line, Pat did all the unplugging and re-plugging, etc., still no luck, but about 15 minutes later everything was fine.  

The cheetahs at the National Zoo can't decide if they want to go out of their den this morning, just took this picture.  Evidently the kittens are not crazy about the snow...

102777505_ScreenShot2022-02-13at10_11_16AM.thumb.jpeg.fcfd08cb3ad02b81089cf9d36442afb7.jpeg

Nice to see six ships with passengers and only five without.  May that trend continue!  

Jacqui, maybe you need a little banner that says "These flowers are for Jose" to remind him that you are thinking of him!  And I hope Marley gets used to his new meds and will stop waking you up so early.  I imagine he will take a little while to get used to being an "only child", too.   That's what happened with our Bella, when we lost Trapper.  

I don't think we will be watching football today.  Still getting used to the new PVR box and we had to go back to the old remote, as I couldn't get the new one to work - we're hoping that one of these days DD will be able to set it up properly for us.  

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 28

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Super Bowl Sunday

Today is Get a Different Name Day, ................................

Some of you might know that I was born in Amsterdam, the Netherlands to Dutch parents so that made me a citizen of the Netherlands with a Dutch passport. My Dutch given first name is Jan, which used to be a very common boys name in the Netherlands. When I came to the States/California one month after graduating high school, I soon found out that "over here" Jan is more of a girls name, being a shortened form of the first names Janice, January or Janet, with corresponding pronunciationis. Well, we couldn't have that 😉 so I changed it to John. To end this little story, I became a U.S. citizen, after meeting a United States Marine Corps recruiter in college who made me an offer I simply could not refuse "Give us four years, and we'll make you a U.S. citizen" and, as they say, "That's how the story goes" 

Jan Name Gifts & Merchandise | Redbubble  

• Like 23

Morning is nearly over here and I have not gotten much done. The tacos sound good, but my meal tonight with be a cheeseburger with no bun. I have been to today's port and enjoyed the walk around. I bought a really nice (and a bit pricey) T-shirt with the local hummingbird on it. I wear it for special bird related events - we really do not dress up much here in Durango.

Will probably watch a bit of the game... my Father was a real football fan and all the kids can call a game. I remember when I was in high school I had a date for a local game. My date spent the time before kick-off carefully explaining the broader points of the game to the girls. Game started .... a whistle blew on the field and I said "off side" before the refs signal. So much for that date.

Susan

• Like 15
  • Haha 10

Good morning.  Both DH and I grew up in Southern California, so we'll be cheering for Los Angeles Rams, the team of our youth.  I'm gonna take DGD on a walk during half time.  The last one was so racy, I was embarrassed that she was in the room.  One sure thing about this day, there will be a lot of calories involved.

@Sharon in AZ, I'm so glad to hear that your visitor is sweet.  He looks scary, though a beautiful animal, and I was worried about Blue.  I had to laugh at your referring to him as a puppy, when I've got this shrimp of a puppy in our house now.  In any case, enjoy your company.  I bet it's fun having the girls around.  😍

@Heartgrove, awesome that you will have a DGD!  We certainly enjoy ours.  So fun to spoil them!

@kazu, beautiful flowers and clever delivery.  They are very cheerful.

I've been kind of popping in and out of the Daily and skimming fast.  TBH, I'm super tired because I've had to switch up my sleep schedule to accommodate our new puppy, so I'm only catching some things here.  But you're all in my thoughts and prayers.  Wishing all a lovely Sunday.  🌻

Maxine

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1