The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 15th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Acadian Day (Canada), Relaxation Day, and National Best Friends Day

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.--F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Meal Suggestion for today - Loaded Chicken Carbonara Cups
Drink of the Day - Fuzzy Beam
Wine of the Day - Domaine Jean Dauvissat Pere et Fils 2018 Montmains
Destination of the Day - Dili, East Timor

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 2200

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 08/16

Nieuw Statendam

Djupivogur, Iceland 07:00 - 15:00

Noordam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Oosterdam

Istanbul, Turkey, Galataport - 16:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord eta 08/16

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 08/16

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0815World.thumb.png.3c10d085006581c47e479e0087c2ed46.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 13

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

I'm in on Relaxation Day and Best Friends Day, not sure what Acadian Day is in Canada.

Meal sounds good.

We had a great time on our cruise on the Equinox last week, everything was very good except for the last night when they had a extremely loud hard rock group, we left the showroom after 1 song. Strange that Celebrity would book a hard rock group.

Off to the golf course, hope I still have my game.

Thanks for The Daily, stay and well and have a great day.

• Like 28

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  3 very nice days to celebrate including the Acadians.  Interesting quote by Gatsby.  I have never been to East Timor.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Carrot and Ginger Soup, Pinnacle Burger, and Sorbet, my lunch in Prinsendam's Pinnacle Grill August 4, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Devastating news on Shadow
HorizonChaser1957 DD endangered in Taiwan
Fires near Seasick Sailor
Tana with persistent problems
ger_77,  DH, and DS with covid
RIP Koningsdam entertainer Anthony Lorenzo Hopkins 8/9/22
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
2 days for Av8rix (Zuiderdam 8/17 to 8/31)
Welcome home StLouisCruisers
Copper10_8 (Zaandam to 8/20) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon from the MS Rotterdam. It’s 68 degrees outside so lot’s of activity inside. Didn’t attend the Mariner’s reception but did listen to shoreEx presentation and a well conducted lecture on Norway. The line at Guest Services is long as well as how to work or fix Navigator App line I had to log out and log back in and it’s working fine. Not sure why so many in Guest Services line but we have no complaints or issues so far. 

Great dinner at Rudy’s last night and tonight we are in Pinnacle. Lot’s of specialty dining this week as SIL is only aboard this week.

Yesterday we turned in our two laundry bags at 3.00 PM and our cleaned clothes were back in room when we returned at 8:00 PM! That was our fastest turnaround ever and we all deny kudos to the laundry team using the Navigator App.

After our busy three weeks in Scotland we are all enjoying this sea day as do nothing day! Yes, a nap is awaiting!

Thanks Rich for the Daily report. 

• Like 29

Good afternoon.

It is currently 67°F and sunny.

I had a physio appointment this morning analysing my knee and hip joints.

It was interesting to see the x-rays and having them explained to me.

Thank you Rich for today's daily and fleet reports.

Thank you Roy for today's lists.

I am resting now after doing the exercises recommend at the physio session earlier.

Nice food but not sure about the drink.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 26

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Happy Monday!

A nice day weather wise for us today, a high of 26C (79F) and sunny.🙂

An interesting group of days.  We don't celebrate (officially) Acadian Day in this part of the country, but maybe we should.  I'm all for relaxation day, but I do have some chores to do.  I'll spend the day with my best friend, my hubby.🙂❤️

I guess I need to read the novel to understand the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'm sure the drink is good too.  I hope the wine isn't too expensive.

I've never been to East Timor.

Prayers for everyone. 

Good luck with the therapy for the joints Graham.

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! It was so cool this morning that I almost needed longer sleeves. But the sun has now crested the trees, so it will warm up quickly. 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy. Morning Dailyites. An early class then chores, walks and pool time for me today. I have leftovers, I need to start using in meals. 

Wanted to share what a very creative person did with an amazing moon….

E40DABA9-AA3A-4ED4-A59F-A8639E2D61ED.jpeg.e2a8e09b236020bd0e17b465647c079d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Domaine Jean Dauvissat Pere et Fils 2018 Montmains

This Chablis sounds lovely, but it is a bit pricey. A superb rating from consumers and critics alike - perhaps this is one I might splurge on - after a taste. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $43.71.

95 + EDITOR'S CHOICE - 36TH RANKING IN WINE ENTHUSIAST'S TOP 100 WINES FOR 2021

Montmains, a Left Bank Chablis premier cru, is perhaps the best ‘all-around’ example of what Chablis should be. It comes from a very rocky soil which gives a very pronounced minerality with extraordinary power and good aging potential. At the same time, it is ample, full and round. It can be tight in its youth, but is characteristically exuberant and vivacious.

PRODUCER

DOMAINE JEAN DAUVISSAT PERE ET FILS

Chablis

There’s a new kid on the block. And it’s pretty exciting news for Elden Selections.

Fabien Dauvissat, son of Jean Dauvissat (no, not that Jean Dauvissat) took charge of his father’s considerable Chablis domain, and proceeded to make some radical changes. His father was first and foremost a grape farmer. On nearly 53 acres and 53 different parcels ranging from Petit Chablis to Premier Cru over seven different communes, he produced quality grapes for a big negociant house. But Fabien has different ideas. He is one of a generation that sees the value in producing not just good Chablis, but great Chablis. So he has taken the domain organic, using only copper and sulfur, no weed killers, no chemical fertilizers and no systemics.

Chardonnay is famous for rampant yields, and so the primary job of the vigneron here is to keep those yields at a level that lets the grapes ripen and sugars concentrate. They only viable way to do this is to prune the vine during the winter so that it will only produce a certain number of grape bunches. Sounds easy, but a lot can happen between the winter pruning and the harvest the following autumn. Shoot for 60 hl/ha, and you might get 40.

The best producers will tell you that quality is all about taking risks. And Fabien is fully aware of the gamble. But in the process, by reducing the volume of wine produced on the domain in his father’s days to the levels he targets now, he has made himself a considerable reputation for a winemaker barely into his 30s.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Fuzzy Beam cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps Liqueur
2 parts Jim Beam® Original
2 parts Orange Juice
Garnish: Orange Wheel, Lemon or Lime

Instructions
Build in order over ice in a highball glass. Stir. Garnish with an orange, lemon or lime wheel.

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 7.53.16 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for the Fleet update and other things.

Today is also National Jean Day. Warning, the following is adult entertainment only and if offended please don’t read. 

Do you know how a famous Jean maker got it’s name. This French clothing designer was trying out new Jean designs with both female and male models (trying to cover all bases). The jeans were very tight and when the model tried on the jeans there were so tight that when the model bent over the jeans split right up the behind. The French designer shouted out, “Jordache is showing” and the rest is history 😀.

Oh no, just discovered that National Jean Day is the person named Jean. Should I delete my comments?

• Like 5
  • Haha 17

It is very important that the last line of The Great Gatsby is not taken out of context.  Jay Gatsby pursued wealth , “the American Dream” with the hope of winning Daisy’s love. Nick, the novel’s narrator, says, “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” 

I believe Nick realized that the only way to accept the past is to learn from it, find new beginnings, while acknowledging the failures that help us grow.  

My high school students often find the lines to mean is no matter how much wealth or success is accumulated we’ll always chase after more in an effort to have it all.  

Perhaps we interpret the end so differently because of our age difference.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone, from mid-Michigan.  It is supposed to be a nice day here and at home in Ohio.  I will be heading out on my trek home in about an hour.  

Sue and I went to an open house yesterday.  We had kind of crossed the house off our list but decided we should see it and talk about the house to see where we stood.  The house had some really good points, but the drawbacks were too many.  

Carbonara is an Italian pasta dish from Rome made with eggs, hard cheese, cured pork, and black pepper. The dish arrived at its modern form, with its current name, in the middle of the 20th century.

The cheese is usually Pecorino Romano, Parmigiano-Reggiano, or a combination of the two. Spaghetti is the most common pasta, but fettuccine, rigatoni, linguine, or bucatini are also used. Normally guanciale or pancetta are used for the meat component, but lardons of smoked bacon are a common substitute outside Italy.

This is the only recipe I found for carbonara cups.  There are other webpages with the recipe on them, but they are all the same recipe.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/loaded-chicken-carbonara-cups/

1838244705_carbonaracups1.jpg.800d998b1e3c5ad354880828087e2aa3.jpg

If you want just the loaded carbonara, there are plenty of versions.  You could make the cups from above and use any of these recipes for the "load" in the cups.    https://www.framedcooks.com/2011/11/loaded-pasta-carbonara.html

641508354_carbonaracups2.jpg.ba406772c33b5248f85e3e408dd4480e.jpg

This next one is just a great chicken carbonara recipe.  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a48598/chicken-carbonara-pasta-recipe/

1325213804_carbonaracups3.thumb.jpg.8661deae32c2f7f9b1e7157114215a12.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.   Time to pack up the car.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

A new week and a gorgeous sunrise. We are becoming short timers here so the work load picks up. I am only going to go fishing after John tells me he has caught fish.  Too much to do in about 3 weeks.  55 degrees now and heading into the 70s. 80s by the weekend. 

Today's dish looked wonderful in all versions, the drink a bit sweet but the Chablis looks good.  Really have no desire to go to East Timor.  Thanks for the reports Roy and Rich.  Prayers for those needing them and for the people of Ukraine. 🙏🇺🇦

Today's sunrise and last night's store bought walleye dinner.  Have a great Monday.

IMG_20220815_055016794.jpg

IMG_20220814_162931430.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning  to all. Our weather is beautiful  today, similar to @puppycanducruise with highs in the low eighties.

I will salute all the days listed and appreciated Tina's  thoughts on the Gatsby quote, @0106.I would like to read that book again and see what I think.

We have decided to maintain the 24 hour help for our Tana for another two weeks at least. Right now, I can't  imagine coping without these ladies.

@ger_77,I hope things are improving  in your house today.

@kazu,I am thinking of you and sending  prayers and hugs. 

@dfish,Thanks for the recipes  and drive carefully. 

Terry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I really like today’s meal suggestion but rarely have it.  @dfish thanks for the recipes and pictures.  It’s a very comfortable morning.  Hopefully the rain that is in the forecast comes our way, it is much needed.  I hope everyone has a good Monday.

• Like 24

18 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  to all. Our weather is beautiful  today, similar to @puppycanducruise with highs in the low eighties.

I will salute all the days listed and appreciated Tina's  thoughts on the Gatsby quote, @0106.I would like to read that book again and see what I think.

We have decided to maintain the 24 hour help for our Tana for another two weeks at least. Right now, I can't  imagine coping without these ladies.

@ger_77,I hope things are improving  in your house today.

@kazu,I am thinking of you and sending  prayers and hugs. 

@dfish,Thanks for the recipes  and drive carefully. 

Terry

Terry 

Sending prayers your way.  Thank God you are able to have the help you need to care for Tana.

Take care of yourself. That is very important too,.

Terri

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from an overcast but warm day at the beach.

Had some beautiful breezes earlier today, hope they last for my golf game later.

Good days to celebrate. It would be wonderful to relax with my best friend. I consider DH my best friend  but he does not play golf so I will go with the next in line! LOL

Dili East Timor is on our scheduled Australian circumnavigation this fall. Dont know much about the port, so hope someone has pictures.

@dfish Happy house hunting!  I know you will eventually find the perfect house . I think moving together is a great idea. Safe travels home

@ger_77  Hope everyone is feeling better. Rest.

Water aerobics and then golf this afternoon.   

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 25

Beautiful morning here in Georgetown. Hello friends!

I like all of Debbie's meal suggestions today but could eat a burger with Roy. Oh and that picture of walleye!! I'd sure be stuffed!

Prayers out to Jacqui and Shadow, Tana, Gerry and DH, as well as all others on Roy's care list.

Yesterday was filled with rain clouds but we never got a drop. Today is going to be hot again. (98) and back into 100+ tomorrow. 

I am babysitting our sweet neighbor dog while her parents are on an Alaska cruise. She's the sweetest little thing.

I finished my VA Caregivers class at 100%, and our last video meeting is tomorrow. The social worker sent a list of what they want to see during the call. (Grab bars, fire extinguisher, door locks etc. To ensure my veteran is safe in the home) It's a great program. 

Wishing everyone a great day. God bless, prayers and cheers. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning to all,

Thank you to Rich for the lists.

I am not sure what Acadia Day is but I am sure it is a day of celebration for our Canadian friends.

I am always one for relaxing.  I spent a good part of yesterday getting rid of a lot of clutter.

I always celebrate my friends.  They are what keep me going.

The quote makes more sense after the explanation.

I will pass on the meal.  Too many carbs. Don’t drink hard liquor so that goes too.

The wine is a bit on the pricey side.

Have not been to the port.

Today is also the Feast of the Assumption on the Catholic Calendar and usually a Holy Day of Obligation.  However, because it falls on a Monday there is a dispensation from attending Mass.

In Italy it is also Ferragosto.  A day when the Italians begin their Holiday.  Everything closes down for the remainder of August.

I am finally starting to sleep better and I think that once this Prednisone is completely out of my system, it will keep getting better in time. One can only hope.

The morning is busy with our annual termite inspection in an hour or two.  Let’s hope there are no problems.  

Prayers for everyone on the Cares list—especially Tana and @smitty34877, her caregiver,  @kazuas she figures out what her next steps are with Shadow.  And all those who are suffering from Covid.  

Graham, @grapau27take it easy after PT.

Cheers to those celebrating special events and cruising.  @aliaschiefyou deserve a day of relaxation after all the touring you have been doing.

Have a great day everyone,

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Happy Monday Morning Dailyites!

Today DH is meeting with a PA (doc on vacation) for his new primary physician. Today is supposed to be hot, so I do hope the medical offices let me in when I take DH to the appointment. He probably will also be looking for a new turn light to replace the one I destroyed yesterday by hitting the garbage can on Penny's street.

I slept late this morning,  and need to get organized to get to work.  And I woke up to find that Furnando who is turning into a bed snuggler, barfed on the bed.  Arghh!  Bobagingee was sick yesterday, and hid in the back room.   I did go back to stay with him for a bit, when a spider crawled out from under the pillows.  Eek! 

@dfishthe meals look delicious, thank you for finding them.

@aliaschiefI am so glad that you are having a great cruise, and I loved all your pictures of Scotland.

@smitty34877I am glad that you got the extra care giver in to help with Tana.  You all needed to get some extra rest.

@ger_77I hope you are feeling better today.

@ottahand7Your table setting always looks so inviting...and that fish looks great!

@cat shepardI love the picture.

I have no idea where Timor is.

I have a Grand Cayman question, I know most of you cruise to more exotic places, but has anyone just gotten on the bus, and ridden around Grand Cayman?

And another question from the BFF -regarding Anchorage- (he called last night) when you dock at Anchorage, what is near the dock to check out.  We are taking a morning excursion, and have several hours after we get back before we need to board  and he wants to do as much as he can while there.

9f15a55c614c44d4de4a8c359d8a5e40--support-center-call-center.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I visited Acadia years ago, staying in a friend’s cabin on Cape Split.

Cooperstown has been having beautiful weather, sunny but not hot. There is a chance of rain later today but most likely while I’ll be inside the theater.

CAF87612-AE53-4A10-9270-0049D24FD2D5.thumb.jpeg.482e6e211d48ef58aa315d0301e8d54a.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Haha 2

Good morning from central Texas.  The weather forecast is showing our triple digit days are almost over with Wednesday forecast to be the last one through August 29.  Thursday's high is predicted to be 88F, then back to the 90s.  I can easily live with that.  Even better, rain showers are predicted for Thursday and for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday next week.

I will join our Canadian dailyites in celebrating Acadian Day.  Many Acasians settled in our neighboring state, Louisiana.   We celebrated relaxation day yesterday, and I always celebrate my best friends.

@0106  Tina, thanks for the explanation of the quote since I have not read the book.

Chicken carbonara sounds good, but I'll let someone else do the cooking.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.  

We have not been to East Timor.

@MISTER 67  Welcome home, and glad you enjoyed your cruise.

@aliaschief  Bruce, thanks for the report on your cruise 🛳,  and enjoy your sea day.

@cat shepard  Ann, thanks for the very creative meme.

@dfish  Debbie, safe travels home today.  You will find the perfect house for both of you.

@smitty34877  Terry, that's good news you're keeping the extra help for Tana until everyone recovers completely.

@grapau27  Graham, I hope the physical therapy helps your knees and hips.

@marshhawk  Ann, I'm not sure about a bus in Grand Cayman, but in the past, we've rented cars and driven around the island.  You might be able to hire a taxi for an island tour.  In Anchorage, the ship will dock in a very busy industrial port where you are not allowed to walk around.  There will be a shuttle to downtown at the convention center.  You could walk around, or pick up a local city tour.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 4