The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 8th, 2022

richwmn

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure; try to please everybody all the time.--Herbert Bayard Swope

It is obvious that you cannot please everybody all the time, but the failure is not in the attempt. Scripture says, "If at all possible, live peaceably with all." Attempting to please everyone isn't the definition of failure; it is part of caring for others. 

I think too many people use the excuse of, "you can't please everyone", as a reason to stop trying to be civil.

• Like 25

Good morning  to all. We have a nice day here with pleasant dog walking accomplished  earlier.

I salute literacy and date nut bread and will acknowledge  the &.We have not been to the Philippines  and look forward to pictures. 

Thank you Debbie. @dfish for the ideas for sweet and sour sauce as well as the lower sugar recipe.Decisions have not been made yet on our dining options but it sure sounds good to me.

@Cruzin Terri, I sure hope the insurance  will cover a hotel stay.It sounds very stressful living with the after effects of the flood.

Almost 30 years ago we lost our home( along with 8 other families) in a fire.It was a condo development  and a nightmare to rebuild and  try to salvage anything.The insurance covered a short hotel stay  and some funds for a rental. That was a long time ago though.

@JazzyV,  Vanessa, I have a similar problem  with fried foods and now completely  avoid them.It makes for dull dining and I am sorry this has been an issue for you.

Terry

• Like 24

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! Yay for literacy, a shout out to the &, and I'll pass on the date and nut bread.  Today is also Grandparents Day according to my FB memories page.  Happy Grandparents Day to all grandparents, and those who stand in for them. The best thing you can do for those little ones is surround them with love and kindness, and lots LOTS of sugar, then give them back to their parents. It's called payback, kids.  LOL

Well as some of you may already know, the last of the suspects was apprehended yesterday after he'd stolen another vehicle and was ultimately run off the highway by the RCMP.  He died of self-inflicted injuries on the way to the hospital, which is unfortunate because now the families of the victims will never have answers.  I feel bad for his family, as they've lost 2 sons; they gave a recorded interview yesterday in which they were both in tears, apologizing for their son's actions.  How devastating for them and all concerned.

Not good news about Queen Elizabeth II, as it appears the whole family is converging on Balmoral Castle due to her health concerns.  Hard to believe she was up and about just 2 days ago as she welcomed Britain's new Prime Minister, but she is 96 years old, so . . .

Lots of last minute things to do today in preparation of our dear friend's funeral tomorrow - we have to go to the funeral home to check out the venue and talk with the attendants about what we'll need, etc.  Have to wash & iron (yes, I'll iron the darn thing) DH's white shirt, and get our clothes ready for tomorrow, then do a final run through of the service.  I also have to make myself a nice handkerchief for my tears - I totally expect to cry, I'm a crier after all, so I might as well be prepared.  Tissues are for noses, handkerchiefs are for tears.  With all that, I think we're just going to pick up something to eat on the way home and will enjoy it on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are hurting, extra for QE II, and cheers to the celebrations.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

The news about the Queen is very concerning, especially in light of the fact her family is in Scotland or is heading there, including Prince Harry and his wife.  I hope she can recover from this latest set back.

The Queen, her family, and the Commonwealth are in my thoughts.  I remember going to Ft.Worth to watch the coronation on television.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

BBC ONE has now suspended all regular scheduled programming to dedicate all reporting to the Queen.

Also, THE SUN is reporting that BBC "...Presenter Huw Edwards is dressed in a dark suit, white shirt and black tie, in line with the BBC's dress code for when a member of the royal family dies as a mark of respect."

🙏-Melisa

Edited by HAL Sailer
typo
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1

Good morning all!

Today DH will do more pressure washing. That should finish it and then hopefully in a few days when everything is dry I can repaint the post that my Sweet Peas climb every year, and put stain on the front porch.  

Literacy Day goes along with our discussion of authors the other day.  Not a fan of date nut bread, I'm strange but just don't care for nuts in bread, cookies, or cakes. I use Sweet/Sour Sauce for chicken nuggets, Lumpia, and Stir Fry.  Will pass on the drink but the wine sounds very good.

Prayers for the Queen, it must be very serious. I was 18 months old when she took the throne.

Yesterday our DSIL's dear Grandmother passed away, she was the same age as the queen.  She was a remarkable woman, survived living in a concentration camp in WWII.  Her family will miss her deeply, especially our DSIL.

Gerry @ger_77here in the states Grandparents Day is not until Sunday the 11th.  

• Like 26

16 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

BBC ONE has now suspended all regular scheduled programming to dedicate all reporting to the Queen.

Also, THE SUN is reporting that BBC "...Presenter Huw Edwards is dressed in a dark suit, white shirt and black tie, in line with the BBC's dress code for when a member of the royal family dies as a mark of respect."

🙏-Melisa

It sounds like the Queen is in trouble. Her four children are at her side, Price William is in Scotland and Harry is in the air heading to Scotland

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Prayers for the Queen, it must be very serious. I was 18 months old when she took the throne.

Yesterday our DSIL's dear Grandmother passed away, she was the same age as the queen.  She was a remarkable woman, survived living in a concentration camp in WWII.  Her family will miss her deeply, especially our DSIL.

Carolyn, I too am very concerned about the Queen.   My DMIL was essentially the same age as the Queen is and it was shocking to see how much better the Queen got around compared to DMIL in her last 4 or 5 years.  Lately, the Queen hasn't looked well so I was already dreading hearing news like this.

I'm also sorry to hear of your DSIL's Grandmother passing away yesterday.  Condolences to the family and all who knew her.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

How very sad about the Queen.  Prayers for a gentle passing for her, if that is approaching.  Next it will be King Charles III, I guess.  All the stamps will have to change, and the Royal Mail is right now going through a huge change of the definitive (everyday) stamps and recalling the old ones.  Her mother lived to over 100, I had thought this Queen would go on forever!

And really, another trauma in Saskatchewan - now no one will ever really know what and why it all happened.   

This week has gone by so slowly - I know it is because we are anticipating travelling on Sunday.  We  bit the bullet yesterday and upgraded to a balcony.  I had been dreading all the crowds out on deck looking at glaciers, etc., and now I will happily "stay home" and watch from my very own spot.   A lot of threads nowadays seem to be confirming that the ships are floating petri dishes!

@Cruzin Terri, I do hope you can find some relief from your flood woes.   And welcome, @fieldsofclover.  Thanks to all for the information about ships, drinks & food!

• Like 26

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Literacy is important. I like the ampersand & date nut bread (homemade). True quote.

Hmmm, sauce? Maybe on chicken. I like the drink and will pass on the wine.

I haven't been to Boracay. Thanks for any pictures.

Prayers for Queen Elizabeth II; her health news is very concerning. Some online speculation that she has passed, although not from any credible sources.

It's cloudy and warm here, but no rain expected. The grass is getting tall from all our rain. I need to edge and mow. I was up early as the bed delivery was today. They put on masks when they saw me with mine. They had a struggle getting the box spring down the stairs (there's a landing and there are stairs above that limit the height somewhat), and the adjustable base upstairs, but got it done. They don't take the old frame, but I got it out to the garage to give away.

@marshhawk I hope DH's appointment with the pain doctor is productive.

@StLouisCruisers I hope Linda has made it to rehab. And that the dog has been picked up.

@kochleffel I hope you're ok. Did you test yourself again?

@Seasick Sailor Good to hear DH is feeling fine, and getting medical details tidied up.

@Cruzin Terri Sorry to hear how bad things are in your house. It's unconscionable that your insurance agent is so hard to get ahold of. I hope you can stay in a hotel.

@smitty34877 Thanks for the insight. I'd brought half my dinner home, and put it in the air fryer last night to reheat it. I ate it and no issues. So I don't know. I don't ever deep fry at home, and will limit it when eating out.

@Cruising-along Condolences on the passing of DSIL's DGM.

@fieldsofclover Welcome to the Daily!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from the mountains. It’s currently 70 degrees and a bit cloudy and only going to get to 75 degrees today. It might rain tomorrow but I hope it holds off until Saturday because DS is bringing the girls up the mountain after school for the weekend and he won’t drive the road in the rain. I don’t blame him though but I really want them to come. 

I’m catching up with the Daily very haphazardly, going backwards and realizing that I’ve missed a lot of news. So, I want to wish Lenda & her DH a Belated Wedding Anniversary. 

0D9F0E72-D220-4FF6-BED5-E79E2DFEE6FE.jpeg.b63ecee2115a604c5fb14ae6911dc866.jpeg

And on Monday, Labor Day, I saw that Cheese Pizza was celebrated. It just so happened that we made homemade pizza, it was delicious, so I have to share the picture. 

1AE63C41-0E58-4104-9099-2AB4BC00EB66.thumb.jpeg.3639b0ed38469e19affa62308110f815.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.  There is a lull in the action as far as the yard work is concerned.  Right now, I'm waiting for batteries (both for the mower and trimmer and mine) to recharge.  After all our rain, the grass is growimg so fast and thick in places, the mower has to work harder, and then the batteries run down faster.

It's not too bad outside with the breeze and a fan blowing on me. I have my tablet and my book, so will just enjoy some down time.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope you can reach the insurance adjustor and get coverage for a motel or short term rental.

@marshhawk  I hope your DH has some good results at the pain doctor.

@kochleffel  Good to know you are feeling better.  Have you done a second test?

@Heartgrove  Jack, glad Sam is adapting to his condition, and I hope the coming cooler weather offers some improvement.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, our condolences to you, your family, your DSIL, and his family on the loss of his grandmother.

@fieldsofclover  Welcome to the Fllet/Daily.  I hope you will join our happy group often.

@Vict0riann  Ann, good to know you upgraded to a balcony.  Now, you can enjoy the glaciers without worry.  I also thought the Queen would live to 100 or 101.  She has had an amazing life.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon thank you for the anniversary wishes.  Hope the rain holdsnoff and the girls can make it to the cabin.

Sadly, I just saw breaking news that the Queen has died.  May she Rest in Peace.  She will be missed around the world, and the world is a better place because of her presence.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5