3 ounces dark rum
1 ounce simple syrup
3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 teaspoon grenadine
3 dashes Angostura bitters
1 splash club soda
Garnish: mint sprig
Steps
Add the dark rum, simple syrup, lime juice, grenadine and bitters into a shaker with ice, and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a Collins glass over crushed ice.
Top with a splash of soda water, and garnish with a mint sprig.

Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 8.23.13 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Have not been to Lerwick but I'll post something about the "Shetland Bus," a covert operation between Shetland and Norway during WW II.

The Shetland Bus (Norwegian Bokmål: Shetlandsbussene, def. pl.) was the nickname of a clandestine special operations group that made a permanent link between Mainland Shetland in Scotland and German-occupied Norway from 1941 until the surrender of *** Germany on 8 May 1945. From mid-1942, the group's official name was the Norwegian Naval Independent Unit (NNIU). In October 1943, it became an official part of the Royal Norwegian Navy and was renamed the Royal Norwegian Naval Special Unit (RNNSU). The unit was operated initially by a large number of small fishing boats and later augmented by three fast and well-armed submarine chasersVigra, Hessa and Hitra.[1]

Crossings were mostly made during the winter under the cover of darkness. This meant the crews and passengers had to endure very heavy North Sea conditions, with no lights and constant risk of discovery by German aircraft or patrol boats. There was also the possibility of being captured whilst carrying out the mission on the Norwegian coast.

There's an exhibit about it in the Scalloway museum.

The Shetland Bus figured in the mystery novel Red Bones by Ann Cleeves, and in the first two episodes of the Shetland TV series.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Rabbit Rabbit white Rabbit. Good morning everyone. Yesterday I had flowers blooming in pots in y yard and this morning half have died. It must have been very cold last night. Nice collection of days. Prayers for all on our care list as we enter the next to last month of the year.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 12

Good morning!  Thanks for all of the information and recipes and photos!

I’m not sure how type face changed??

Best wishes to all!  @kazujacqui, I hope your foot heals quickly.  

This morning I got an email from TA regarding luggage for WC and I followed link and reserved my luggage pickup!  

• Like 15

Good morning. I am seated in the hospital cafeteria  waiting for the cardiac catheterization  nurse to text me.The procedure  was started about an hour ago.I realized that I worked in this hospital 50 years ago in the summer between high school  abd college.It if course has changed considerably  but  still has that very comfortable " home" feeling. I even ran into someone I used to work with in my last job before retiring! 

Thanks @cat shepard and  @rafinmd @StLouisCruisers for your kind thoughts.I think we were both a little nervous earlier. ..DH left his insurance  cards down in admitting! I  went to get them on the way to the Cafe.

Will let you know how we  do today.

Terry

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

@smitty34877I hope your husband is back in recovery quickly with good news.  @kazuI am praying for you that your foot gets better quickly!  @StLouisCruisers and @Quartzsite Cruiser Sandi and Lenda thank you for the wonderful photos of the port in the Shetlands.  A place I would love to visit.  Thanks for the cute photo of Sadie.  We had two trick or treaters last night.   First time having trick or treaters since 1994.   I have always lived in a quiet area.   

DB is doing poorly.   I thought he would be moved to rehab yesterday but his BP crashed to 39 yesterday.   There is a problem with his medications, BP and narcotics were building up in his system.  My niece said they gave him Narcan to clear the narcotics quickly.  Sounds like some kind of kidney issue to me since it is unusual for those drugs to build up.  Oh and he is bleeding again.  I hope to hear from DSIL that we can visit him today.    

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports Rich and thanks for the Cares and Celebration reports Roy.  Today's Rose' Coq a Vin is a great idea, it is more visually pleasing.   I may try it but we have no Rose in the house right now.   The cocktail looks good and today's wine would be perfect for today's menu.  Thanks for all of these!  Prayers for all needing them and for the people of Ukraine.   Nancy 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Hello from Barcelona, sitting on the roof top terrace at my hotel.

Thanks for all the good wishes.  I’m trying to figure out if I am going to need wheel chair embarkation.  ‘Sigh’ & something on board or if I will be healed enough to be ok with the crutches if I need them.

I’m usually a pretty good healer 🤞 but I still can’t put weight on it.

Hotel has been fabulous!   Took a spill last night trying to get in the wheel chair (didn’t hurt my foot, thankfully) - it moved even though I had it locked.  Called down as I had spilled the ice bucket and couldn’t clean it up myself.

Ceyatano came running up, tidied up my mess and frowned when I told him the chair moved.  He took a look at it - sat in it and said “there’s rust on the right side - this is not safe”. Told me he would be back in a couple of minutes - was right back with tools and thought he could fix it.  He worked on it for 10 minutes - tested it and it was fixed.  He warned me if I didn’t hear this noise - to call the hotel right away and not use it.

God bless him.  I raved about him this morning. They smiled knowingly and said they knew.  LOL

Everyone is super.  They let me leave the terrace door open so it’s easier for me to get back in.  So very, very kind here.

I chose well. 👍 😃 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds really good, thank you @dfish for the pictures and recipes.  I would not resist the last dish at all.  Today started as a rainy day and has stopped, at least for now.  Today, in between meetings, I need to put together a work list for my coverage while I’m on vacation.  @kazu I do hope you recover quickly and get to enjoy your cruise. Wishing everyone a nice day.

image.png.cbbeef201b6355dc50df878754962f11.png

• Like 11

Good morning Dailyites.

Rabbit, white rabbit!

Prayers going out to Jacqui, Terry, Debbie, and a long list in my book and Roy's list.

Sure would like more added to the celebration list.

I have one to add Roy! It's an emotional one but I want to share it with my Daily friends. 

Allen met with an awesome doctor for his psychological evaluation. The doctor knew exactly what was going on, yet waited to talk afterwards. I sat quietly listening to them with tears running down and my mouth open. Too many memories of tours in Vietnam (Allen flew gun ships) friends coming home with visible and invisible scars. Cancer, deaths of friends and family, heart surgeries.. Afterwards we met with friends for lunch, a friend he flew with in Vietnam. His friend reached over and held Allen's hand and told him we've got each other brother. A celebration and cleansing for both.

Today lastly is bloodwork. Hopefully the VA will stop poking and prodding and have a good baseline for one hell of a great veteran's healthcare. 

Have a great day. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

I just spoke to the doc and they placed a Stent in the 90% blocked artery.He said the old bypass grafts look good.I felt like jumping up and down but restrained myself.Now he has to lie flat several hours due to entry through the groin. Modern medicine can be amazing!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Dailyites.

Rabbit, white rabbit!

Prayers going out to Jacqui, Terry, Debbie, and a long list in my book and Roy's list.

I have one to add Roy! It's an emotional one but I want to share it with my Daily friends. 

Allen met with an awesome doctor for his psychological evaluation. The doctor knew exactly what was going on, yet waited to talk afterwards. I sat quietly listening to them with tears running down and my mouth open. Too many memories of tours in Vietnam (Allen flew gun ships) friends coming home with visible and invisible scars. Cancer, deaths of friends and family, heart surgeries.. Afterwards we met with friends for lunch, a friend he flew with in Vietnam. His friend reached over and held Allen's hand and told him we've got each other brother. A celebration and cleansing for both.

Today lastly is bloodwork. Hopefully the VA will stop poking and prodding and have a good baseline for one hell of a great veteran's healthcare. 

Have a great day. 

I was so touched by your post and glad Allen has you and fellow veterans .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I just spoke to the doc and they placed a Stent in the 90% blocked artery.He said the old bypass grafts look good.I felt like jumping up and down but restrained myself.Now he has to lie flat several hours due to entry through the groin. Modern medicine can be amazing!

Excellent news for your husband Terry that he only needed 1 stent and his bypass grafts looked good.

A couple of older men  on my cardiac ward 35 months ago had the scope entry in the groin and they were in discomfort and rested for several hours after the op.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites.

Rabbit, white rabbit!

Have a great day. 

A very emotional story Joy.

My respect for Allen and very best wishes for his recovery.

Graham.

• Like 3

I could not log into CC today. After a few tries my account was locked. Then when I finally did get in, my profile picture was gone. Finally in!

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.

A salute to authors, I've no pet to cook for, and family literacy is important. True quote.

Yes to the meal, the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Lerwick, Shetland Islands.

It's going to be milder here as the week goes on. If it stays dry this AM, I may try to blow leaves to the curb. Usual stomach ache this morning, but it eases off when I eat something. I've resumed taking Omeprazole, thinking maybe too much stomach acid.

@ger_77 So glad you finally got your flights! But such stress to get to your cruise isn't any fun.

@kazu I hope the foot will start to feel better soon. Thank goodness you have family with you and that the hotel is being so helpful. 

@smitty34877 Prayers for DH undergoing his cath today and the stent placement success, as well as open grafts.

@aliaschief Safe final leg of travel to home.

@MISTER 67 Take care of that finger!

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. When is actual moving day?

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the Lerwick photos. Aww, Sadie is being such a good girl!

@marshhawk Safe travels to visit MIL.

@Quartzsite Cruiser So good to hear of DH's progress. Excellent Lerwick pictures.

@kochleffel Interesting information. Thanks.

@ottahand7 Oh no on DB's new medical issues; prayers for him to recover.

@Seasick Sailor So good to hear of the compassionate doctor for DH's evaluation and his equally compassionate friend and fellow veteran.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Cruise Critic is having some problems today , which causes me problems ,  have to sign in every time  even with the pages i have bookmarked and also my picture is gone ????? 

Now have to try to find my Roll Calls of future cruises .........

Tony 😥

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We had rain last night and turnout for Halloween was extremely light, leaving me with more than half my candy.  My story will be about my strangest Halloween ever, exactly 10 years ago. 

I had booked a Crystal Symphony Panama Canal cruise New York to Los Angeles, leaving New York October 31, 2012.  With the prospect of Superstorm Sandy moving through I made the fateful decision to head to New  York an extra day earlier so I would not be traveling during the storm.  Well, Sandy came through October 30 with devastating results, including completely flooding out the port of New York.  Symphony, which had been docked in Boston would completely skip New York and head straight to Charleston, and there was no provision for people waiting in New York and almost all transportation shut down. 

Embarkation day, October 31 came with me stranded in New York.  My travel agent came up with an interesting plan.  While the airports were closed, she fond that the rental car office at LaGuardia was open and she reserved me a one-way rental to Baltimore and a November 1 flight to Charleston.  I would spend Haloween at home completely unprepared.

At the time Crystal has stopped giving traditional pillow chocolates and instead provided little boxes of Chocolini's, little bits of something covered with a bit of chocolate.  I think they were either cereal or dried fruit but the consensus was they tasted more like chocolate covered kitty litter. 

I arrived home in early evening and did have a few small items like Hershey Kisses and mints, but the last few got --Chocolini's.  I left for the cruise praying there would not be a child abuse warrant waiting for me when I got home.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

Good evening, everyone.  

I tried checking in earlier as I wanted updates on @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda's DH, @smitty34877 Terry's DH, @kazu Jacqui's foot, etc.  Finally I have been able to log in.  

@JazzyV Vanessa, we load the truck here in Ohio on Friday and drive to Midland.  Then, we unload in Midland on Saturday.   And when the truck leaves, I am moved in!   

Ok, back to packing!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Did anyone get the shakes when we couldn’t log in most of the afternoon?😁 We have arrived home and it may take us a couple of days to recover. Worth it. Great time.

@kazu I do pray your foot heals quickly enough that you can enjoy your cruise. You have been through enough.

Bruce

• Like 9

Finally back on. CC should not do that to us without warning.Hope you have all survived.

We are under a winter storm watch for Thursday although I think we will get mostly rain but I am hastily moving stuff about. I need to set up a patio "business" area for the chihuahua who thinks he will melt in rain..... and if there is snow I will never get him off the porch.

More tomorrow.... take care all.

Susan

• Like 9

Today was another frustrating day.  And Cruise Critic added to the mix by not letting me log on.

Why should anything go my way?  

I went through another day of no answers.

As for our email situation, I am trying to set up new emails for myself and DH.  He hasn’t a clue how to do it.  I have successfully set up two different emails for me on Outlook.com.  However, Outlook.com does not want to recognize DH’s email.  I keep trying and then get a message that I have tried too many times and have to wait until tomorrow.  This has been going on since Saturday.  If anyone has any suggestions how to fix this situation, I would appreciate any help.  Thanks in advance.

As for my insurance adjuster, it is another day of no response. i talked to my contractor, who also has tried to get in touch with the adjuster and has had no success.  The Contractor has suggested that I call the company and ask for a new adjuster.  i will do that tomorrow.  The contractor is ready to go and just waiting for the go ahead from the insurance company.  

i have not gotten the money I need to pay the rent in the alternate housing.  

So that has been my day.

Hope yours has been better.

God bless everyone,

Terri

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1