The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday November 27th, 2022

richwmn

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Seeing all the nasty discussion in the other thread about water being turned off on Koningsdam in the wee hours of the night and certain people up in arms about it, I've decided I'll post my update here instead!

We have a notice at our door that states they will conduct a potable water shutdown in our section for three hours between 1 pm and 4 pm today.  That's not the middle of the night when most of us are asleep, so I can just see the uproar this would cause for some people, but we are adjusting just fine to the news.  Shower beforehand.  Use your HIA and order water or wine or cocktails!   We will live through it - somehow...😁

Unfortunate that it's happening in the afternoon but at least you can go elsewhere for a toilet if needed.  It might be a more significant issue if it was the entire ship in the afternoon but either local or middle of the night should not be a big deal.

Roy

• Like 17

Happy Sunday Dailyites.  Tummy is growling in hunger, so I must move and make breakfast!  The quote goes hand in hand with Father David today.

I did go to a psychic fair after college.  The card reader told me I was about to move, and that I would never have luck with men in my life.  This was on a Saturday.  On Monday morning following the fair, I got called into the big bosses office, and they offered me a promotion with a move, to either St. Louis or Atlanta, my choice.  Since I had no love life, and had been living in my parents attic for the last two years, I said, St. Louis!  One of my best friends from college lived in St. Louis.

Three days later I flew to Atlanta, as they had decided to close the office in St. Louis.  I had my interview, people seemed nice enough.  I took the job.  Card reader was correct,  I moved.  What they should have also told me was, that if you have terrible luck with men, it's either you or them.  And if it keeps repeating, it's probably  you. Turns out, I'm not easy to live with.🙀  But I live real well with me.

Weather today-WINDY! in the 60's  and then tonight WINDY  in the 40's.  The back yard is not windy, but the front yard sure is.  The weatherman said, if we can find a sunny place out of the wind, it will be a marvelous day, but to tie down anything that would blow away. 

Today my friend Debbie is coming over for Ruebens.  I make the best in my opinion.  I don't scrimp on the corned beef, I sweeten the sauerkraut just a little, and i am not afraid of extra dressing on the side.

94422b575253c6c52051d2a7d80cb754.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 32

Good morning all. Thanks to Rich and everyone who contributes to make this my morning coffee place to be.  We had a record breaking rainfall last night but today is bright and sunny. I will take my grandson out to brunch at Ruby Slipper. He has chosen to order the White Chocolate bread pudding pancakes as I printed out the menu for him to review last night. It is so overwhelming I need to give him time to decide before we go. I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday. 

• Like 25

Good Sunday morning!   We were thrilled to see Michigan beat Ohio State.  First time on their stadium in 22 years!   Today is the Ravens versus the Jaguars.    

@richwmnThanks for the Daily and Fleet reports and the comments on my favorite summer cocktail.  I love a CL with Diet Pepsi and Pusser's rum and some lime.  Since we have been traveling in the Caribbean a lot of late I picked up some new ones in the DR and Barbados.  A couple of those I really enjoyed at our cabin this summer.   A great quote and some interesting days.   @0106Thanks for the happy memories of the Orioles pie in the face activities, my DH loved the Orioles.   All the comestibles look like winners!  @Quartzsite Cruiserthank you for the photos today.  Such beautiful sunny weather there.   @rafinmdThank you for the Cares and Celebrations reports.  Prayers for all needing them and for the people of Ukraine. 

I had a very brief visit with DB yesterday but for a good reason.   I got there at my usual 10 am and he was still in bed.   He said don't stay long because they had put him on a bike in PT and he suffered the consequences all night in pain.   He called later and apologized but I said no problem.  DF asked why I was home so quickly and I told him that it was for a good reason since DB was put through his paces in PT.   

Today we are putting all of our Thanksgiving decor away and I will bring out a small fabric Christmas tree with a matching white bunny in a cap.  That will be the extent of our decorating.  Usually every flat surface is covered and two Christmas trees plus lights front and back.   

Have a wonderful day! Nancy 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites. Blessed Sunday.

Thank you @grapau27 for Father David's sermon. Thank you Rich, Roy, and the F & B ladies for your loyal posts.

I received some beautiful pictures of Ethan but am not posting til I get an ok. He's adorable. 

It's a beautiful morning here, warming to 66 today. I have a few last minute things in the yard to put away and the chairs to duck cover and that will be done. I am way ahead of schedule!

I have tried today's drink. On a tour in Cuba we were handed the beverage when we got off the bus. I'm just a wine drinker, so go with Rich's review..

My sweetheart asked for Biscuits and gravy this morning,  so I have the gravy ready to go and was about to put biscuits in the oven and just heard "let's go to brunch" coming from the bedroom. 

I wish everyone a great day. Prayers lifted to everyone on our prayer lists. Thank you Roy for the joyful celebration of Ethan's birth!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

A little bit more on the drink - (since it is one of my favorites)

The Cuba Libre is more complex and beguiling than its simple formula suggests. It calls for rum and Coke with lime, but within those three ingredients lies a synergy that has pleased palates for more than a century. Today, it’s one of the most popular Cuban cocktails in existence—right near the classic Daiquiri, which was created around the same time.

As the story goes, the Cuba Libre’s origins can be traced to 1900 and to a U.S. Army captain who was stationed in Havana during the Spanish-American War. He added Coca-Cola and a little lime juice to his Bacardí rum and toasted his Cuban comrades by exclaiming, “Por Cuba Libre!” (“To a free Cuba!”). The drink, and the name, stuck.

Naturally, Bacardí has embraced the drink, cozying up to its creation. And according to company lore, Bacardí rum was readily available during Cuban independence to quench thirsts and celebrate the island nation’s freedom from Spanish rule. But technically, the drink does not call for a specific rum, which means you can choose whichever rum you prefer.

From liquor.com

Did you attend the new Holland America presentation onboard about the drink?  I thought it was very well done with the history of Bacardi.  Spirits of the Caribbean. 

• Like 18

29 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  I think if I ever got a pie in the face I would prefer Bavarian Cream.  I won't adopt a turtle but will salute those who do.  I like the Palahniuk quote.  I have not been to Limassol but remember it as one of the places ships hung out during the shutdown.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Honey Dew Melon and Papaya Gazpacho, and Grilled Lamb Chops with Apple Chutney as served on MS Prinsendam November 27, 2013.

Today’s care list:

RIP Irene Cara
Mamaofami grandson with Covid and Carol possibly exposed
Jazzyv canceling cruise due to friend’s hospitalization
Safe travels for those returning home
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab
From the rotation:
Kazu severe foot injury
Crabbbi Patti dealing with Dad’s dimentia
Quartzite Cruiser DH in rehab
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidneyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

New family member for Seasick Sailor Baby Ethan
Welcome aboard lobsternight
Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades

na1127.thumb.JPG.6bf46b3e91ae50c83ec6770
New furnithre for Cruisin Terri (and responding to prednizone)
7 days for Mister67 (Nieuw Amsterdam 12/4 to 12/11)
6 days for Dobiemom (Discovery Princess 12/3 to 12/10)
4 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS, 12/1 to 12/9)
1 days for SusiekIslandGirl (Island Princess 11/28 to 12/12)
Welcome home Crazy for Cats
Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam  to 11/30),  Ichiban Nekko and Himself (Nieuw Statendam 11/26 to 12/3)  StLouisCruiser  and Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's list's Roy.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. It’s going to be 58 degrees , but raining today. This is day 3 since I was exposed to my grandson and covid and too early for me to test. This is not a good week for me to have to isolate . I had plans tonight, and two doctor appointments and my book club, but I don’t want to expose anyone. I’ve been told if ingest negative band wear an N95 mask I’m ok and so is everyone else, but I don’t think it’s fair till I know my status. Unfortunately, I’ve been advised by my infectious disease MD not to take the boosters because they are no longer giving J and J and I am allergic to the ingredients in the other vaccines so I’m hoping for the best. I’ve ordered any supplies and food I think I’ll need and now will buckle down to read and watch TV. My grandson is doing OK, but can’t fly back to LA today as he had hoped.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's warm and sticky outside but I stepped outside after breakfast and snapped a couple of photos of Macapa.  Not much to say about it, that's for sure!  It's definitely a scheduled service call.

As I mentioned in yesterday's Daily just before Rich posted today's Daily, there was an announcement that the Coffee Chat with CD Ryan had a change in the guest.  The doctor would not be the one chatting it up with us (hoping nothing terrible is happening down the hall in the Medical Center), and instead the guest would be pianist Naki Ataman.  So I ran down there and sat in the front row.  Near the end I mentioned I had a friend from Abilene who had met him while they were cruising and highly recommended going to his performances.  I gave first names of Lenda and Steve saying hi.  And by the way, what was your connection to Abilene.  He laughed and said yes it's surprising how many people he's met over his many years from Abilene.  He then told everyone he had been an exchange student in Big Springs.  Everyone enjoyed that information, since he hadn't mentioned it earlier.  He's a very nice person and I'm sure we will enjoy the second show, which he said is even harder to perform than the first one. 

Limassol, Cyprus was our port of the day on May 25, 2021.  Here is the link to that date's post.

I haven't been to Limassol before so thanks everyone who posted photos.  Lenda has been there before so hopefully she can post hers again.

Could you post a picture of Ryan, your cruise director?  We had an on location/port lecturer on the Zaandam, Ryan, from Buenos Aires back to San Diego in 2016 who was excellent.  

• Like 12

Good morning. We are recovering  from a very full house but a marvelous  few days.My family makes fun of me but I  always cry when they arrive and when they leave.I remember my mom being the same way.The time together has always been special but the last almost three years have made it even more so.

Thanks Debbie for the recipes @dfish.I may make that tonight as we are all tired of leftovers.

@mamaofami,  Carol, I hope you can avoid getting covid.I am thinking of you.

On Friday we went to the City and the Natural History  Museum. My grandchildren are reaching that age where we embarass them and reluctantly  posed in front of the elephant.

10577.jpeg

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 27

3 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Could you post a picture of Ryan, your cruise director?  We had an on location/port lecturer on the Zaandam, Ryan, from Buenos Aires back to San Diego in 2016 who was excellent.  

Lucky for you I surreptitiously took a photo from the front row in the World Stage this morning of Ryan and Naki Ataman. I don’t know Ryan’s last name and HAL doesn’t advertise the staff’s full names much like Princess does.  Taken from my IPhone and no editing done to the photo so excuse my photography. 

0514AF1C-E7EE-4238-BC0F-C05FA0AB8957.thumb.jpeg.ad0771648614f05848b2b341bfab5041.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. The brisket cooked for eight hours and was delicious! Folks are just starting to rise and we haven’t discussed any plans for the day if any. Time to head for the coffee pot and this I Pad is in serious need of a charge.

Thanks for the reports. Later!

• Like 21

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. It’s going to be 58 degrees , but raining today. This is day 3 since I was exposed to my grandson and covid and too early for me to test. This is not a good week for me to have to isolate . I had plans tonight, and two doctor appointments and my book club, but I don’t want to expose anyone. I’ve been told if ingest negative band wear an N95 mask I’m ok and so is everyone else, but I don’t think it’s fair till I know my status. Unfortunately, I’ve been advised by my infectious disease MD not to take the boosters because they are no longer giving J and J and I am allergic to the ingredients in the other vaccines so I’m hoping for the best. I’ve ordered any supplies and food I think I’ll need and now will buckle down to read and watch TV. My grandson is doing OK, but can’t fly back to LA today as he had hoped.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

No reason not to test if you have symptom.

• Like 12

A good Sunday morning to all.

Today, while it is warm, it is also rainy.  So very glad that DH and I made our trip to Beaufort yesterday to look at the the furniture that i have been eying for the last two months.  

Today is a stay at home day.  Or I should say, stay in the apartment day.  I hesitate to call this place “home”.

Thank you Rich for the Daily and the Fleet Report.  Interesting collection of days.  Don’t think I want a pie in my face, but I would happily have a piece of Bavarian Pie.  I used to have a pet turtle when I was a child.

I used to drink Cuba Libres but not any more since I do not drink carbonated beverages of any kind.  However, I did enjoy them at one time.

Will pass on the meal and the wine is a bit above my budget.

Like the quote.

Have never been to Cyprus.

Thank you Roy for the lists.  

I am doing much better.  It seems that my polymyalgia is again under control.  Yesterday when I got my flu shot, the pharmacist and I were talking about the flare up after the Covid vaccine and he said that is a known side effect for people with my condition.  

Thank you all yesterday for your positive comments on the furniture and the advice on the ottoman.

Will take all under advisement before we decide to order one.

Hope everyone has and wonderful Sunday and stay safe.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 21

Good morning and Happy Sunday!  When I saw Pie in your Face I immediately thought of Soupy Sales. I’ll pass on the Bavarian cream pie but celebrate turtles.  Not sure what we are eating today but it won’t be chicken. The drink is one of Craig’s favorites, especially if there are no Negroni ingredients. We were surprised in Barcelona that they poured the rum and then gave the can of coke for you to pour. 
86F8D176-E55A-4C9A-B05B-7FF2D508B715.thumb.jpeg.17973305da7e98ac59e9acc7302368bc.jpeg

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, you are wise to stay away from that thread. Yesterday it was even worse. I think only Jacqui @kazu saw it before I reported it and it was removed. I did a screenshot just in case. Oh my!

Terri @Cruzin Terri, I love your new living room set and also the ottoman. Like others said I would get a large tray with sides to set on top. It could look quite decorative too. 

DGD enjoyed her grilled cheese yesterday for lunch  278BF1B9-092B-46EF-9196-DF55927D47FE.thumb.jpeg.21b84a38eafef238f1fdabc566da09c8.jpeg

For dinner she asked me to teach her how to make my pasta with cream sauce, it’s like Alfredo sauce.  That girl sure can eat. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily/Fleet Report.

I won't waste pie hitting anyone in the face. I think I had Bavarian cream pie while in Germany. Turtle adoption is good. I like the quote.

I like the meal, the drink is a favorite, and I like the wine.

I haven't been to Limassol.

It's rainy here right now, but on the warm side. It was a rough night. I got a call that we needed to go into the hospital to see BFF's Dad around 11:30. I got home around 2AM, and am heading back there shortly. He's not doing well and some tough decisions need to be made. We thought tomorrow, but BFF just called and I think we're going to comfort measures this afternoon. He actually included me in his living will as one of the decision makers. I don't know if he'll last the day. Of course, BFF is distraught, but doesn't want him to suffer.

@grapau27 Thank you for Fr. David's sermon today.

@richwmn Thanks for the info on the drink.

@kazu Great memes.

@seagarsmoker I'm glad you're feeling better, and hopefully no rebound.

@Lady Hudson Good to hear DH was able to eat some turkey and stuffing. I hope the upcoming dental work goes well.

@StLouisCruisers Sorry to hear about the water leak at DD's house.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos. 

@Cruzin Terri I really like the furniture you picked out. Can you tell me the brand? I need new furniture for my music room.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 11

2 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

There's a section on the interactive TV that lists officers by full name and gives a short biography. Cruise Director is one of them.

I was thinking the same thing but I think Volendam still has the old TV's which may not have those interactive features.  I hope Naki Ataman's appearance at the coffee chat was due to his availability and not an issue with the Doctor.

Roy

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily/Fleet Report.

I won't waste pie hitting anyone in the face. I think I had Bavarian cream pie while in Germany. Turtle adoption is good. I like the quote.

I like the meal, the drink is a favorite, and I like the wine.

I haven't been to Limassol.

It's rainy here right now, but on the warm side. It was a rough night. I got a call that we needed to go into the hospital to see BFF's Dad around 11:30. I got home around 2AM, and am heading back there shortly. He's not doing well and some tough decisions need to be made. We thought tomorrow, but BFF just called and I think we're going to comfort measures this afternoon. He actually included me in his living will as one of the decision makers. I don't know if he'll last the day. Of course, BFF is distraught, but doesn't want him to suffer.

@grapau27 Thank you for Fr. David's sermon today.

@richwmn Thanks for the info on the drink.

@kazu Great memes.

@seagarsmoker I'm glad you're feeling better, and hopefully no rebound.

@Lady Hudson Good to hear DH was able to eat some turkey and stuffing. I hope the upcoming dental work goes well.

@StLouisCruisers Sorry to hear about the water leak at DD's house.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos. 

@Cruzin Terri I really like the furniture you picked out. Can you tell me the brand? I need new furniture for my music room.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Thank you Vanessa.

Prayers 🙏 for your BFF dad.

Graham. 

• Like 5