The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday December 3rd, 2022

richwmn

41 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon from a partly cloudy, windy with a north wind, and chilly central Texas.  It was a busy morning, but a good one.  For the first time in many months, DH wanted me to cook breakfast.  Usually, we each have a very light one with maybe a bigger one on the weekend.  Looking at what we had in the kitchen, I made cinnamon French toast, which we had enjoyed on the Koningsdam.  DH also scheduled his Covid booster and flu shot for 10:30 this morning.  It was a good thing we got there early, because the pharmacy got very busy just after we arrived.  The pharmacist was nice enough to come out to the car to administer the shots.

I will celebrate Persons with Disabilities today, and it should be celebrated everyday.  Spirit of the game and give a hug days are also to be celebrated.

An interesting quote from Maya Angelou, but I'm not sure if I agree with it entirely.  However, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt when first meeting them.

The meal looks interesting as does the drink.  The wine is my go to white wine.  It is not as sweet as the late harvest Rieslings or the really sweet Rieslings, but for me, just the right hint of sweetness.

We have been to Reykjavik three times.  The first time was in 2003 on Rotterdam III roundtrip from NYC.  We were there again on Prinsendam in 2016 and 2017.  We have always found interesting things to do and see, but never have had enough time to look around Reykjavik itself.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, you and BFF are in my thoughts as you say goodbye to DF.  

@mamaofami  A suggestion about the white letters on the blue background.  Before you change the background color, click on the A to the left, and change the color of the letters to black, then follow the directions for changing the background.  Otherwise, you could wind up with white letters on a white background.  On CC it's still easy to correct that, but on the computer it isn't, and I know that first hand.  😱

@rafinmd  Roy, I happy the medicine seems to helping.

@dobiemom  🎈 🛳️ BON VOYAGE!  🥂🍾

@aliaschief Bruce, I hope that cold clears up by Monday.

@RedneckBob  🛳️ BON VOYAGE! 🍷  Enjoy your cruise on NA.

@marshhawk  Annie, I ordered my Christmas cards on Amazon.  They had a great selection.

@Cruzin Terri  Teri, I agree with the others, go on the cruise and get a good rest both mentally and physically.  I think it will give you a new outlook on all that's going on.

@HAL4NOW  I agree with you.  While not a big soccer fan, I'll be rooting for The Netherlands or England whichever one goes farther in the tournament.  I just hope they don't play each other until the final.  Then, may the best team win.  

@bennybear  Brenda, I'm glad the two skin cancer excisions, and the new crown are behind you.

@grapau27  Graham, good luck with your appointments next week.

I have enjoyed all the pictures of Iceland that everyone has shared.  Now, I'll follow the link to Rich's page, and add my pictures.

Lenda

Thanks Linda but I am on N. Statendam today

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well, things are going great. Just met Damcruisers who are on ship until mid Jan 2023. Never met them before. Just asked them how long they had been on NS and through deductive powers of RNB I asked them if they were Damcruisers. Boy were they surprised. Then they asked if I was RedneckBob. And the rest is history.

• Like 12
  • Haha 9

Good afternoon everyone.   I got done with my stint at the Greens Sale selling wreath and roping a little early because it seems volunteers show up in droves for the end of the sale for when unsold arrangements are marked down.   I saw one I liked when I first arrived but later in the sale it was gone.  I did buy a giant custom made silver bow which I will use for my outdoor decor next year.  It was very windy all night and earlier today.   I was very happy with our new venue at a Senior Center there was space for us to be inside.   

@richwmnthank you for the daily and fleet reports.   Everyone thank you for sharing the photos of Iceland.   It is a beautiful place and I look forward to visiting there in the future.  The last tortilla pie that was heated looked very yummy especially if made with corn tortillas.   I will pass on a cocktail with candy in it but the Riesling looks like a good wine with seafood.  

@rafinmdthank you for the Cares and Celebrations and thank you for adding my brother back in.   They are keeping him at least through the day in the hospital but they are having him do PT while there. Hopefully they can get his red blood cells at a normal level and he can return to his rehab.   

Have a nice weekend!   Nancy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for all of your stunning photos Lenda.

Good wishes for Steve's continuing recovery too.

Graham.

Graham, thank your for the good wishes for Steve's recovery.  He is making good progress, but it will still take time, and some more therapy to strengthen the muscles.  I appreciate your comments on my pictures.  My theory is to take several of the same thing in the hopes one turns out.  That is the beauty of digital pictures.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks Linda but I am on N. Statendam today

Oops, sorry.  Somedays it's difficult to remember who is on which BHB.  Anyway, have a great cruise.

56 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good afternoon everyone.   I got done with my stint at the Greens Sale selling wreath and roping a little early because it seems volunteers show up in droves for the end of the sale for when unsold arrangements are marked down.   I saw one I liked when I first arrived but later in the sale it was gone.  I did buy a giant custom made silver bow which I will use for my outdoor decor next year.  It was very windy all night and earlier today.   I was very happy with our new venue at a Senior Center there was space for us to be inside.   

@richwmnthank you for the daily and fleet reports.   Everyone thank you for sharing the photos of Iceland.   It is a beautiful place and I look forward to visiting there in the future.  The last tortilla pie that was heated looked very yummy especially if made with corn tortillas.   I will pass on a cocktail with candy in it but the Riesling looks like a good wine with seafood.  

@rafinmdthank you for the Cares and Celebrations and thank you for adding my brother back in.   They are keeping him at least through the day in the hospital but they are having him do PT while there. Hopefully they can get his red blood cells at a normal level and he can return to his rehab.   

Have a nice weekend!   Nancy

Nancy,  that is good news they are having your DB continue his therapy in the hospital.  It is hard to catch up when you miss some sessions.  I hope they can get the red blood cells at a normal level soon. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser  I  loved your picture of this fellow.  He looks like how I feel in the mornings!

IMG_1820.thumb.JPG.afc53d2b1fcee1efe87c2a17f8bfe68c.JPG

@ger_77 Watched the video, loved it, Even DH stopped working for a few minutes and came out to watch it.  What day of the year should we all head out there to get weather and warmth like that?

He looks like I look some mornings with my short hair sticking straight up.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

He looks like I look some mornings with my short hair sticking straight up.  🤣

Lenda

Funny because that is exactly like I look in the a.m. I recently cut m6 hair short again after letting it grow for 3  years. I am trying to find an organization that will take the cut hair to make wigs for cancer survivors. 

• Like 9

Well, I shoveled a path down our driveway, waited for the sun to melt the ice, and went to p/u our mail.  Unfortunately, the mail man didn't come by today.  Looking on the bright side, our weather is like Summer compared to our neighbor North of us, like @HAL4NOW.  And the other bright side, at 83 I can still shovel snow.  A couple of pictures:IMG_0063.thumb.JPG.1d47d2c60a022a14caab26c40b2d56c1.JPGIMG_0065.thumb.JPG.769ff90bcfcdae951f899151f4f94e15.JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  At a little after 8 am the Volendam left Manaus and we are heading to Boca da Valeria (tomorrow).  After sitting still so long at anchor in Manaus it feels strange to be moving again.  Thanks to Rich for today's Fleet Report and Daily.  Looking at the map you posted what a weird sight to see a cruise ship in the middle of Brazil instead of on an ocean like the rest of the ships!  😁

Thanks Roy for the lists today.  I'll pray for those on the Care list and am "Happy as Larry" for everyone on the Celebration list.  Good wishes for Graham as he has his lesions looked at on his face.  Go USA in soccer!  Thanks everyone for your contributions here each day.

Reykjavik, Iceland was port of the day on May 19, 2021 and here is a link to Rich's post that day.

Reykjavik is a fine city to visit.  Our first visit there was on Emerald Princess in 2011, second visit was on Caribbean Princess in 2015, third visit was on Seabourn Quest in 2018, last visit was on the Covid cruise Island Princess in June 2022.  On the 2018 Quest cruise we actually started our cruise in Reykjavik so flew over a day early to spend the night there.  That made the stay there a little more interesting because we had more time.  We have also flown through Reykjavik several times on our way to Europe.  On the 2018 flight to Reykjavik from Boston we had a TV news personality and his family on the flight with us.  DH spoke to him while they waited for luggage to show up at the carousel.  After hearing our cruise plans, he said he wished he was going on our cruise with us, but he didn't have that amount of time off, so they were going fishing there in Iceland.

For those who haven't been to Iceland yet, one of the best tours you can take is a Circle Iceland tour.  Sometimes they call it Golden Circle tour and other times Grand Circle tour.  The point is they take you outside of Reykjavik to see the geysers, waterfalls, and volcano site.  You will probably also see the Icelandic horses in the countryside.  They take you quite a distance on these tours so it will take a long day in port to achieve it.  We took a private tour with CC roll call members our first time in Iceland.  I recommend it for a good overall look.

A photo of the famous Hallgrimskirkja church which I took in 2018.  The weather was perfect for our overnight visit so we saw pretty blue skies which made all our photos better.  You must see this church when you visit Reykjavik! enhance

enhance

Another place that Reykjavik is famous for is the Blue Lagoon.  I have never had an interest in going there in the past, but if I continue to visit this city I have a feeling I will end up there someday.  I might even find I like it!  

A typical street scene.  enhance

The second stop on the Golden Circle tour was the Pearl, a dome with stunning views of the city from the panoramic 360 degree platform.  The dome sits atop the huge tanks in which natural hot water is stored for heating the city.  Inside is a rotating restaurant, a cafe and a museum.  At least it did in 2011 when we visited there.enhance

enhance

enhance

Driving around the island you saw scenery like this.enhance

We stopped to see the tectonic plates which divide Europe from North America.  At least I think that's what they told us.  This would be a good thing to do some research on when I have nothing else to do.  Right...enhance

enhance

Heading towards the geyser areas we saw scenery like this.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Then to the Gullfoss waterfall.enhance

enhance

Then we drove to another waterfall, name unknown but I did take a photo of this sign just before we arrived so it could be a clue.enhance

enhance

Last stop was to see this volcanic cauldron.enhance

Before we got to the cauldron we were looking at some Icelandic horses in the fields.  In their native country they have few diseases; Icelandic law prevents horses from being imported into the country and exported animals are not allowed to return.  This is a poor photo of them but we had an accident with a farm dog who ran into the road and had to stop and see to him.  The horses were forgotten at that point.  enhance

Nice photos Sandi and thank you for your good wishes for my op next week.

Graham.

• Like 3

Sorry all of you, I spent the afternoon reading and napping, plus we are going to dinner earlier than usual at Canaletto so I just got finished reading several pages of the Daily.  Cheers to all with good news!  It's nice to have such a caring community.❤️

• Like 12

Good evening. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Persons with disabilities should be respected and accommodated. Let's hug day is appropriate for me; I hugged many today, while masked at the funeral (a few others wore masks as well). Interesting quote.

I like the meal. Pass on the drink and maybe on the wine.

I haven't been to Reykjavik. BFF and I were discussing today that we'd like to get to Iceland, as it was on Amazing Race this week.

It was rainy this AM, but not cold. Then a cold front came in and it's blustery. I'm so tired. I think I was running on adrenaline all day. The service for BFF's Dad was very nice. Simple and sweet, with a talk by BFF about his father. The slideshow I made was commented on a lot. As we left for the cemetery the sun came out. He will be entombed in a mausoleum, in a companion crypt with his wife. Most of the people present I hadn't seen for a couple of years due to the pandemic. Afterwards we went for a luncheon at a restaurant that opened early just to accommodate us, and the food was very good. BFF and I got leftovers to bring home, as we had less than the minimum number of people. I appreciate all the thoughts from the Dailyites.

@rafinmd Good to hear the lips are doing better.

@grapau27 Prayers for good results on the upcoming lesion removals and other medical appointments.

@mamaofami I'm glad you remained negative.

@kazu I hope the brace makes life a bit easier for you.

@ger_77 I will check out the video! 

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the Iceland photos.

@RedneckBob @dobiemom Bon Voyage!

@Cruzin Terri You so deserve the cruise to rest and relax.

@sailingdutchy Congrats to your team. Thanks for the photos of Reykjavik.

@bennybear I'm glad the skin cancer excisions and crown went well.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thank you for the great photos. 

@HAL4NOW I hope the power comes back on and stays on!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

We had power restored yesterday at about 5:30 PM. Only got a few inches of snow overnight. Power is off again as of 1:30 PM today. We haven't had 24 consecutive hours of power yet this week.

😱 Oh my heavens - that’s nuts and so frustrating on the lack of power 😔 😖. So sorry you are going through this frustration.

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

They are keeping him at least through the day in the hospital but they are having him do PT while there. Hopefully they can get his red blood cells at a normal level and he can return to his rehab.   

Thank heavens that they are doing his PT there.  that is a big help.  My prayers continue for him 🙏🏻 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, superoma said:

Funny because that is exactly like I look in the a.m. I recently cut m6 hair short again after letting it grow for 3  years. I am trying to find an organization that will take the cut hair to make wigs for cancer survivors. 

@superoma Google "Transitions Studio" in St. Catharines (on Grantham Avenue). They make wigs. (I think they are for people that are dealing with Cancer as well as other issues.)   I will be donating the ponytail that I just had cut off last week.  I am close enough to drive there. This will be the second time in the past 8 years that I have done this. 

Edited by 4966and556
adding info.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good Evening Dailyites!

Apologies for not coming back with an update sooner, but it’s been kinda crazy, ya know? All your well wishes and encouragement has been like a salve to the soul. Thank you all.

Best news: I think @rafinmd Ray can remove David from the Cares List! This last week has been quite a learning experience. In any event, DH was released from hospital on Thursday and we were able to get seats on a non-stop back to Dulles on Friday. After retrieving the car and enriching a grocery store, we were finally home. Dear friends came by with a huge tureen of homemade chicken/turkey soup, along with a stunning poinsettia and baked goods. Wow. The soup was like divine and was a definite sleep aid. We headed off to Dreamland shortly after 9:30p,  and stayed there until 7:30 (for DH) and 8:30 (for me).

DH’s congestion was severe enough to block his ear channels this morning, rendering his hearing aids virtually useless. I woke up with a fireball in my throat and sounded like a raspy frog. Not a good combo at best. We had to resort to writing things down to communicate. I’m not sure if our kids laughed or cried when we reported that.

After testing negative (again) for antigen COVID tests, we headed off to Urgent Care. We think it was a worthwhile visit, despite more COVID & flu tests. When we emerged, we both had prescriptions to fill, pills & potions to purchase at the pharmacy (we weren’t crazy after all!). 

Our pharmacy closes at 5p on Saturday. However, a benefit of small town living is knowing everyone. They extended their hours so our orders could be filled. Isn’t that wonderful?

We just feel so much better mentally to be home and to have sought medical advice from providers we trust.

It will take a few more days, but we feel we are on the road to complete recovery! Yay! AND — wait, there’s more — I was able to touch base with a local caterer who is preparing an 80th Birthday meal (DH) on Thursday for us to share. It was supposed to be at Tamarind, but this is a terrific alternative. And by then, we will be able to have Nectar of the Gods  (wine) with it!

Of course, it is beyond disappointing that this long-planned cruise went sideways. And we missed meeting up with @RedneckBob. Fooey!

But for all my whinging and whining, this last week has taught me a lot. And when I think of what some of you all have gone through, I feel very wimpy. Extremely fortunate, but wimpy.

I guess tomorrow I can no longer ignore the suitcases to be unpacked, the laundry to be done. Not to mention the joy of completing various insurance documents.

As Rhett said to Scarlett, tomorrow is another day. And it will certainly be much brighter for us than the days we experienced earlier this week.

Bless you all,

-Cat

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, 4966and556 said:

@superoma Google "Transitions Studio" in St. Catharines (on Grantham Avenue). They make wigs. (I think they are for people that are dealing with Cancer as well as other issues.)   I will be donating the ponytail that I just had cut off last week.  I am close enough to drive there. This will be the second time in the past 8 years that I have done this. 

Thank you very much. I will check it out. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Good Evening Dailyites!

Apologies for not coming back with an update sooner, but it’s been kinda crazy, ya know? All your well wishes and encouragement has been like a salve to the soul. Thank you all.

Best news: I think @rafinmd Ray can remove David from the Cares List! This last week has been quite a learning experience. In any event, DH was released from hospital on Thursday and we were able to get seats on a non-stop back to Dulles on Friday.

So glad David is ok now and while I know home was not in the plan originally, I am glad you are safely home. 👍 

DH’s congestion was severe enough to block his ear channels this morning, rendering his hearing aids virtually useless. I woke up with a fireball in my throat and sounded like a raspy frog. Not a good combo at best. We had to resort to writing things down to communicate. I’m not sure if our kids laughed or cried when we reported that.

After testing negative (again) for antigen COVID tests, we headed off to Urgent Care. We think it was a worthwhile visit, despite more COVID & flu tests. When we emerged, we both had prescriptions to fill, pills & potions to purchase at the pharmacy (we weren’t crazy after all!). 

Oh my, so sorry to hear about your trials but glad you got meds to help.

Sounds like things are getting better 🤞 

It will take a few more days, but we feel we are on the road to complete recovery! Yay! AND — wait, there’s more — I was able to touch base with a local caterer who is preparing an 80th Birthday meal (DH) on Thursday for us to share. It was supposed to be at Tamarind, but this is a terrific alternative. And by then, we will be able to have Nectar of the Gods  (wine) with it!

Oh that sounds lovely that you still have special plans for your DH - good for you.  You have turned a let down into a lovely occasion.  I really admire your attitude 👍 

As Rhett said to Scarlett, tomorrow is another day. And it will certainly be much brighter for us than the days we experienced earlier this week.

You are so right!  And kudos to you for your fabulous attitude. 👍 I hope you have a fabulous celebration a wondrous holiday season 🙂 🎄 

• Like 7

I could envision making a tortilla pie. Since my home cooking doesn't combine meat and cheese, I might make it with beans, or with fake meat. I've had the wine many times, more when I lived in the Northwest, but living now in a different Riesling-growing district, I'm less likely to buy it.

I was supposed just to transit Reykjavik a few years ago en route to the Faroe Islands, which at that time required getting from Keflavik, the international airport, to the Reykjavik city airport, but I missed the connection. As it was a Friday and Atlantic Airways, the national airline of the Faroes, doesn't fly that route on weekends (they use the plane for holiday flights from the Faroes to the Mediterranean), I was there for close on three days, and then had half a day more in the return. My photos are similar to many of those posted, but here are a few that might not be.

Breakfast condiments at the Hotel Natura, which abuts the Icelandair HQ and looks out over the field at RKV.

1457536430_RKVbreakfastcondiments.thumb.jpg.b4f55574ea4fa2973ba4b5aa96b02d0c.jpg

A noteworthy monument that I don't think is mentioned in guidebooks.

468342530_RKVcivildisob2.jpg.7b4d969a947829dadc1068d5d3b3007d.jpg1298338413_RKVcivildisob1.jpg.2226a5d5ea3b6a1b7dd0a431f0886879.jpg500500

This evening I was at our stand in a winter street fair for three hours. Three cold hours, not because the weather was so very cold -- it was 41° F. -- but because of being nearly motionless in the wind for so much of the time. We decorated our stand as if it were Hanukkah, which isn't really until two weeks from tomorrow. It was pretty popular, but to be honest, anything whatsoever that seems reasonably safe for people to do is popular now.

160625087_HoozaGoodboi.thumb.jpg.42b5bb180a116aae512788af7559310e.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 2