The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday December 5th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning from a windy, cloudy, foggy central Texas.  Our temperature is 62F and is supposed to reach 78F.  In fact, the forecast is for 70s through Thursday.  I'll believe that when I see it. 

The only Ninja I know of is @1ANGELCAT's Ninja.  Volunteers are very important, and I volunteered at the DDs' schools.  Once the were in college and we were traveling more, I stopped volunteering since I never knew when I'd be available.  In the winter, I live in blue jeans, but today, I'm wearing black jeans.  The last couple of weeks, I've been enjoying wearing my different colored jeans, now that they are loose enough to be comfortable again.  I just hope they stay that way.  😉

I like and agree with the Albert Einstein quote.  Like @cat shepard Ann, I think the word faith could be substituted for religion.

While we won't be having one of the recipes Debbie @dfish gave us, we will be having chicken fajitas.  After last night's big meal of steak, baked potatoes and salad, we need a lighter one today.  We'll pass on the drink, but would like to try the wine.

We have not been to Chuuk, Micronesia, and are hoping to see some lovely pictures of today's port.

@rafinmd  Roy, glad you got the antivirus thing fixed.

@cat shepard  Ann, though I'm not usually one to brag, I also saw the deer when I looked at the picture.  

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I don't know about the decorations on your ship, but last year on Koningsdam, except for the gingerbread village, the decorations were very modern, stylized trees that were by the stage in the B.B. King Blues Club.  The also had giant ornaments in a couple of places around the ship.  Sending positive thoughts for your relative.

20211208_105334_HDR.thumb.jpg.cfe1a866a79068e4984f79c6ab1eb79f.jpg

20211208_105409_HDR.thumb.jpg.40b72f17d00df3cb90352f2ab23314ae.jpg

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, please give Queen Ashlee a birthday treat for us.  She is gorgeous.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, you summed the addiction best - that those not addicted have not been on the Daily long enough.

@smitty34877  Terri, thanks for the recipe.  I'm sorry Tana had a setback, and am sending positive thoughts the new antibiotic does the trick.

@ger_77  Gerry, I agree with your sentiments about Bob McGrath.  He was such a positive influence when the DDs used to watch Sesame Street.  I finally had a free moment to watch the video last night.  It was well done, and the narration was well written and well delivered.  You and Maurice should deservedly be very proud of your accomplishment.

@aliaschief  Bruce, safe travels today, and I hope the flights are trouble free.

It's time to get a few chores done, and have the house looking all right for the physical therapist who will be here about 11 am.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily, said by an addict @aliaschief.

I've never met a ninja, a salute to volunteers (I used to volunteer at the food pantry and a women's shelter), and I like blue jeans. Interesting quote. I like most chicken dishes (I have leftover chicken in the fridge from BFF's after funeral repast), pass on the drink, yes to the wine (but I don't belong to Costco). I haven't been to Chuuk. Looking forward to any photos.

It's cloudy and we'll be in the mid-40's today. I'm just up from vacuuming up more water in the basement. I called my plumber of 30+ years. Someone I wasn't familiar with answered and said they were booked up through Wednesday. I was always fearful this family business would be sold. So I called Mr. Waterheater and they will be here between noon-3PM. My 2nd water heater is from 2004, so I asked to have that one checked too. This may be an expensive day!

@rafinmd Thank you for our lists. And great you got the antivirus situation straightened out.

@grapau27 Good luck with your appointments.

@Crazy For Cats Happy Birthday to Miss Ashlee.

@smitty34877 Prayers that the new antibiotics help Tana. Thanks for the recipe.

@aliaschief Safe travels home.

@dfish Thanks for today's recipes.

@marshhawk That's too tight a connection.

@kochleffel That chicken recipe sounds good; I agree about the Russian dressing/pineapple one.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

@JazzyV, Vanessa, I am glad you got someone to come today for the water heaters.We just had to replace  the one that was new 7 years ago when we moved in.Grrr.

Tana  told me this morning  that she feels a little better,thanks for your kindness.

@cat shepard, Ann, I finally saw the deer!Amazing how she hides from Bindi so well.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

OK, Dailyites, I was checking on my May flight to Vancouver via Seattle.  They have changed my flight from a 4:30 flight to a 7:30 flight, and now I only have 30 minutes to get from one plane to another in Seattle.  Is this doable?  Or should I suck it up and take another flight and pay more? Not sure how this works.... Air Alaska

If both legs of the flight are Alaska Airlines, then they should both be in the same terminal at least, but it doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room. I prefer quick connections to long layovers, but I also just prefer to not fly commercial air and that means I don't fly often.

• Like 10

Good morning from a foggy Durango. When I walked out this morning with the dogs, I started humming Burl Ives "the Foggy Foggy Dew" and now I can't get the dratted song our of my head. Maybe if I dig up the old record it will help. It is still foggy. High today supposed to get up to 45F. 

Haven't been to the destination. I like chicken. Volunteering... yes. My work on the BOD for the shelter is all volunteer not to mention dog walking. And ...when I retired my theme song became "Forever in blue jeans". But jeans are the normal dress here. When Garrison Keeler was here with Prairie Home Companion and he sang a song "Durango ladies sing sing this song...Denim, Denim". I do have some better clothes which I usually wear for cruising and other travel and rarely, very rarely for events here. When I get back on to a BHB I am going to have to so some serious wardrobe adjustments.

Hope all are staying well. @smitty34877glad to hear that Tana is feeling a bit better after her setback.

Susan

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I bought some chicken that was on sale over the weekend, will have some later in the week.  About two years ago work started to allow us to wear jeans on Fridays while in the office.  Now we can wear them any day we are in the office.  
Ashlee,  queen of the house, turns 10 today.

image.png.2bfc99d04e3d04257d32e9841972577e.png

Happy 10th Birthday Ashlee.

Such a cute cat.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Happy Monday Morning Dailyites!  Once again my computer is out of sink with my reality. It says sleet on and off.  Not here. It's cloudy, we are expecting rain, and temps later this week in the 70's.  Where does my computer think it is?

@aliaschief Hope your flight goes well.  Glad to know you are feeling better. 

OK, Dailyites, I was checking on my May flight to Vancouver via Seattle.  They have changed my flight from a 4:30 flight to a 7:30 flight, and now I only have 30 minutes to get from one plane to another in Seattle.  Is this doable?  Or should I suck it up and take another flight and pay more? Not sure how this works.... Air Alaska

Very unlikely you will make it but Alaska will look after you.  I would call and get them to arrange a longer time, there shouldn’t be a charge  if the airline made the change.

• Like 11

Good morning from another addicted Daily-ite from an overcast but not rainy Tucson. I always feel like something is missing if I don’t read the Daily.  Thank you Bruce @aliaschief for bringing it up, and also safe travels. Thanks to Rich @richwmn, our loyal leader!

Yesterday I was able to get about half the ornaments on the tree, and I’ll try to finish it today. I also found out that our DS & SO are hosting Christmas Eve— what a relief after the stress of Thanksgiving. 

I still have a cough from my bronchitis and it has been interrupting my sleep. I’m taking Mucinex which helps.  Joy @Seasick Sailor— We had a hard time finding the regular kind also and I didn’t realize that it would be behind the counter. I remembered that Costco had it so Craig ended up getting it there. Only problem is that you take it every 4 hours.  How exciting you two are about to leave for your cruise. Are you planning on staying at the Centric?  We love that place and love the bar there too, thank you for the recommendation. Not sure if I told you I made a big mistake booking it for our October after cruise stay. I put in the wrong dates and didn’t realize until a week prior and of course they were booked. But we still went there for drinks prior to eating down Las Oslas. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19

Good morning and thanks all!  Love my blue jeans! Hoping the new antibiotics work for Tana! 
Loved seeing the little fawn hiding in plain sight! 

speaking of creatures hiding in plain sight..

6F446C41-BAF9-4D87-A7CF-ECBABB2252D3.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  The last time I look, it was 72F outside, so we may see the predicted 78F.. However, even 72 is better than the 55F of the past several days.  The sun even made an appearance a for about ten minutes.

The physical therapist was here for about 50 minutes and had DH do a few exercises and walk around the house.  She also checked the house to see if there were any problems.  We liked her and appreciated all her knowledge about the PT and also other aspects of his recovery.  With back surgery, they do not start with back exercises, but exercises to strengthen his legs and arms, and to help him have the correct posture.  They want to give the back time to heal.

@smitty34877  Terri, that is good news that Tana is feeling a little better.  I hope the antibiotic continues to work for her.

@JazzyV    Vanessa, I'm sorry your plumber is no longer available, but I hope the new one is as good, and that the visit isn't too expensive.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Happy Monday Morning Dailyites!  Once again my computer is out of sink with my reality. It says sleet on and off.  Not here. It's cloudy, we are expecting rain, and temps later this week in the 70's.  Where does my computer think it is?

@aliaschief Hope your flight goes well.  Glad to know you are feeling better. 

I understand that May flights may be much different than current flights.  However, for the last few weeks when our local news discusses flight delays and cancellations at SeaTac airport, if there are 60 flight cancellations 50 of them are Alaska Airlines.  Not sure what their problems are, but I would avoid booking them if something else was available.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good Monday everyone. 

Another beautiful day here in St Petersburg. 

Biked downtown along the waterfront and came across my Christmas present. The super yacht is the Double Down, a 216 foot  beauty that is here at our port. She is for sale for $44M. Truth be told, I'd rather be in a Holland America suite or maybe a Seabourn which I've never tried. 

20221205_120547.jpg

20221205_121052.jpg

20221205_123752.jpg

20221205_113335.jpg

• Like 23

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

We’re coming home we’ve done our time. Getting ready to board  have a great day and thanks for the report and the crew that will be flying us to our first stop. Salt Lake City.

Safe travels ✈️ 

6 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Tana had a bit of a setback yesterday  and is on a different  antibiotic since then. Hopefully this will work.

Prayers that the antibiotics do the trick 🙏🏻   Was grateful to see your post later that she was feeling a bit better 👍 

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

They have changed my flight from a 4:30 flight to a 7:30 flight, and now I only have 30 minutes to get from one plane to another in Seattle.  Is this doable?  Or should I suck it up and take another flight and pay more? Not sure how this works.... Air Alaska

I’m with everyone else - that is too short a time and if you have checked luggage - it will never make it.   If they changed it you should be able to change it at no cost.  Good luck

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

So I called Mr. Waterheater and they will be here between noon-3PM. My 2nd water heater is from 2004, so I asked to have that one checked too. This may be an expensive day!

I’m glad you could find someone to get over today.  I hope it’s not too expensive a day for you 🤞 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Thank you Debbie. I have modified this from a NYT recipe that hides behind a paywall that I refuse to pay and tend to not measure things after I have made something a few times.

Chicken with shallots and lemon and vermouth 

six boneless skinless chicken thighs

3 tablespoons flour with salt and pepper to taste

3 shallots sliced in half

2 lemons

one half cup vermouth

Preheat oven to 400

dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess

place in a large oven safe skillet

place shallots in between chicken

slice one of the lemons and place those around The chicken as well.

juice the other lemon and add to the skillet 

herbs d’Provance go nicely on top of the chicken pieces,maybe a tablespoon in total.

pour the vermouth over all and place in your oven

It usually takes  forty to forty-five minutes in a 400 oven. I baste twice also.The alcohol burns off so it is safe for folks like me but I must say it smells great while cooking!

This one looks like a keeper.  I hear  you on the measuring thing.  This recipe looks pretty easy!

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

As others have said, since Air Alaska made the change they will work with you to get a better schedule for you.  It may not be a legal connection.  

5 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Chicken recipe:

6 bone-in chicken thighs

1/2 cup apricot jam

2 TB onion soup mix

1 TB balsamic vinegar

1 TB olive oil

Combine jam, soup mix, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil, arrange chicken on it, and spread the mixed ingredients over the chicken. Bake at 350°F. for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

This is derived from a classic recipe that uses bottled salad dressing, a much larger amount than the liquid ingredients here. Originally the expected dressing was a vinaigrette, but there is a well-known variation that uses Russian dressing and pineapple preserves. What I think about that cannot be posted in a public forum.

This sounds really good.  I might have to suffer the consequences of the sugar and try it.

5 hours ago, travelnap said:

Debbie.  This is my favorite chicken recipe.

1. Drive to grocery store

2. Go to deli section of store.

3. Purchase 8-piece bucket of fried chicken.

4. Return to house and enjoy chicken.

Hint: You can substitute a rotisserie chicken for the bucket of fried chicken.

Easiest recipe I have ever found.

I think that is a recipe that most of us have made at one time or another.

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

It's cloudy and we'll be in the mid-40's today. I'm just up from vacuuming up more water in the basement. I called my plumber of 30+ years. Someone I wasn't familiar with answered and said they were booked up through Wednesday. I was always fearful this family business would be sold. So I called Mr. Waterheater and they will be here between noon-3PM. My 2nd water heater is from 2004, so I asked to have that one checked too. This may be an expensive day!

I sure hope the appliance gremlin hasn't jumped species.  Hot water tanks are not in the same category as dishwashers and dryers.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Happy Monday!  Well the Ravens and the Vikings both squeaked out wins although with very different scores.   We have our National Championship playoff teams.   We will be onboard the Volendam and I am pretty sure they will be carrying the games.   We will have to make a brief appearance in the MDR for dinner and head back for game 2.   My 2 favorite teams are playing each other first.  This is probably not the NYE my DF imagined when we booked this cruise but it is what it is.    

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports Rich!    I used to do a lot of volunteer work as a Master Gardener but I emailed the Coordinator I am pulling the plug on my membership.  The MSU Extension has new rules for reporting hours and they are too onerous for people like me that do one off projects like lectures.  I will just step up activities with my local GC and the Michigan Garden Clubs.  I live in blue jeans.   Great quote by Einstein.    We are having the Cook's Country recipe Pork Chops with Prunes.  I need to get a bottle of brandy and more chicken stock today so I can do it right.    Pass on the salad martini.  Today's wine is a favorite of ours.   We bought a case of it at the end of September and we only have a bottle left.  It sold out quickly.   I look forward to the port photos.

@rafinmdThanks for the cares and celebrations.   Prayers for Tana as she battles pneumonia.  @Quartzsite Cruiser I am glad that Steve is doing so well at home.   Prayers for all on our list and for the people of Ukraine. 

@Crazy For Cats Happy birthday to pretty kitty Ashlee. 

My brother remains in the hospital because they couldn't make a decision about whether to release him or not.   I will be heading there shortly.    There is good news that he can go on oral antibiotics so his pic line will probably be finished when he leaves the hospital hopefully today.   

We had a pretty sunrise this morning.  Have a nice day!  Nancy 

sunrise 12522.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Well for some reason my post from this morning did not go through.  Thankfully it was still there when I was getting caught up this afternoon.  DB is still in the hospital but is now on oral antibiotics and is getting PT.  The only reason he isn't back at the rehab is "paperwork".  @Quartzsite CruiserI think you went through that last month.    He looked and sounded good.  I am sure three pints of blood surely pepped him up and his color is better. 

I am so glad I wore a mask for almost all of our greens sale.  Only one other from our group wore a mask and she is a physician.   I took it off when I was in the back of the room wreath selling area and when I ate lunch for about 10 minutes with 2 other ladies.  We got a message about leftover items and how to purchase them and way at the bottom of the email was "On another note....." someone whose name I didn't recognize has cold like symptoms and a positive Covid test.   I was more worried about flu but so happy I opted for caution.

@JazzyVI am sorry about your hot water heater.  We had that happen last summer at the cabin and we were without hot water for almost 6 days.  Our range got a workout heating water.   No one wants to drive 45 minutes from the main road on bad roads to do someone's HWH.

@smitty34877I am so happy to hear that Tana is responding the antibiotics.  

Nancy 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'm the proud owner of a shiny new water heater. Apparently copper isn't allowed here for the gas connection any longer due to corrosion from the hydrogen sulfide added to the gas for smell, so there's a new stainless steel flexible line. They carted away the old one for $10. The guy was shocked at how old it was. Maybe in 2023 I'll replace the other one. The basement is a mess. The floor was dusty, and mixed with water there's a thin layer of mud. I'll clean tomorrow. Total cost was $1075. I still need a regular plumber for some other issues; my prior guy was quite expensive, so maybe time for someone new.

@Sharon in AZ I hope the cough goes away soon. 

@XBGuy The meal looks good. 

@ottahand7 That sounds good that DB can be on oral antibiotics. Good that you wore a mask. I wore mine at BFF's DF's service and a few others did also. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

@dfish  What did you mean when you said-

As others have said, since Air Alaska made the change they will work with you to get a better schedule for you.  It may not be a legal connection.  

??

Well I did call Air Alaska, spoke to Jessa (who sounded like an old employee) I told her that they had changed our flight on us from 4:30 to 7:30 which only gave us 40 minutes to change flights...which just wouldn't work, and instead of getting in Vancouver at 9, we were now getting in at midnight. But if we missed that 10:55 flight connecting flight from Seattle to Vancouver, we wouldn't be able to get a flight into Vancouver from Seattle until the next morning.  The last three flights from Atlanta to Vancouver all had the 10:55 departure time from Seattle.  So , now we leave at 5:30 from Atlanta, get into Seattle at 8:15.

So, I have booked the flight to Rome in October, changed the flight in May for my first BHB cruise, booked my hotel in Rome for 5 nights, and now I am waiting to hear from the BFF for his flight plans.  Because if he flies in the next day, after us, I will change the hotel reservations in Vancouver from 4 nights to 3 nights, and get a hotel near the airport for that first night.  That is going to be a very long day.

The weather information on my screen is still saying sleet.  but now Heavy sleet.  So I checked, what and where is this weather coming form on my computer-Decatur IL?  Decatur AL?....no it said Decatur GA (the biggest actual town near us)  It's raining, but maybe if i was a weather balloon about 3K feet up?  it might be sleet.  Even the dog wanted to get back in the house today.  Her mommy always says she loves cool weather...maybe on a sunny day, but it so dark and dreary here.

I am trying something new today, Delicata Squash. To be served with salmon and salad.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I still have a cough from my bronchitis and it has been interrupting my sleep. I’m taking Mucinex which helps.  Joy @Seasick Sailor— We had a hard time finding the regular kind also and I didn’t realize that it would be behind the counter. I remembered that Costco had it so Craig ended up getting it there. Only problem is that you take it every 4 hours.  How exciting you two are about to leave for your cruise. Are you planning on staying at the Centric?  We love that place and love the bar there too, thank you for the recommendation. Not sure if I told you I made a big mistake booking it for our October after cruise stay. I put in the wrong dates and didn’t realize until a week prior and of course they were booked. But we still went there for drinks prior to eating down Las Oslas. 

Hi Sharon, hope you turned the corner on your bronchitis. Mucinex is a good go to drug that works well for congestion. There is a new Mucinex cough drop out that is supposed to be soothing and long lasting.

We're staying at the Westin this time. (Points) 

My problem now is a gum abscess. I had my teeth cleaned 2 weeks ago and apparently the hygienist left some polish up in my gum and I got infected. I'm on antibiotics and go back to the dentist tomorrow. I've never heard this before. I'm hoping everything gets fixed soon!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

@USN59-79I booked Air Alaska after a quote from Delta for two regular seats for over 2K.  No way!

The problem with flying around this country from Atlanta is that  every airlines wants you to change flights in their airport Hub.  I didnt want to fly to Dallas, LA or Chicago to get to Seattle.  You cant fly directly from here into Vancouver.  We upgraded our seats, we are right behind First Class, we have more leg room.  We get meals (although we do have to order and pay in advance) we get snacks, we dont drink, so that wasnt a problem....I am hoping that Air Alaska or Alaska Air, gets their act together.  The day we booked the flight there were 3 flights to choose from, now there are over 14.  I know they are not going to fly 14 flights from Atlanta to Seattle in one day.  And I didn't want the last one, because if they screw up, I'm on the first one the next day.  Just hope that if I leave Atlanta on May 3rd, I'll be in Vancouver on the 6th.

• Like 11