The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday January 30th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good morning all!

It's a crisp 24 degrees F here this morning.  Our "kids" returned home on a 5:30 am flight from Thailand this morning -- oh my they must feel cold!  That's a good 60 degrees colder than what they've had the last 12 days.  So glad we turned up the heat for them at their house. It was cold in there yesterday!

We haven't had a land line in a long time, but I've heard some good "inane" answering machine messages. I love bubble wrap, and would really love to escape on a cruise but have to wait 3 months before doing that.  I'll pass on the drink, wine and meal.  Tonight's meal will be some Brunswick Stew I took out of the freezer.  It's good for a chilly night. I've never been to Japan.

Jacqui @kazuyes isn't the Kitchen Mama great?!  I have my dear Dad to thank for it.  A few years back (he probably was around 100 at the time) he showed me his.  A little background, I've had a years-long aversion to electric can openers and due to arthritis, forget manual can openers.  I don't know if it's because I'm left-handed or not, but electric can openers and I just don't get along.  Anyway, I'm so glad you like yours and it helps you!  I'm sure he's smiling in heaven to know he's helped several of us.  Also very glad to hear that you slept well last night!  

Roy @rafinmdin nearly spit out my coffee when I read what that night nurse told you.  I agree with the others, that's hogwash!  I think you should let the doctor know, I'm sure he/she won't be pleased.

@HAL Sailerbelated Happy Birthday!

Jack @Heartgrovethank you for the adorable photo of Lily -- she's such a cutie!

Sandi @StLouisCruisersthank you for stepping up and getting the Daily started each day.  We appreciate you!  One thing -- on the Care rotation list --sadly my niece (actually 2nd cousin but I always thought of her as a niece) is the same Patricia who passed away a week ago.  So she can be removed from the rotation list. 😞  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Good morning from a cold 28F, windy and cloudy central Texas.  Just remember that what is cold is relative to where you live and what you are used to.  Our temperature will not be above freezing until sometime Wednesday.  We are supposed to get everything from freezing drizzle, light freezing rain, freezing rain and sleet.  I'm glad we don't need to go anyplace for the next few days.

We still have landlines here and in Quartzsite because of internet requirements.  The base phone for the landlines has a built in answering machine with a standard message.  I try to save bubble wrap for mailing packages, especially the Christmas cookies.  It helps keep them in one piece.  But I also like popping the bubbles.  It will still be a while before we can escape, but we did a mini escape Saturday, with a drive around our lake.  It was good getting out of the house without going to see a doctor.

I like the Bob Dylan quote, and agree with @0106 that it says to keep learning and growing.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice, but the price isn't.

Kushiro was our first Japanese port on our 2018 Circle the North Pacific cruise on Coral Princess, and it was our first refueling port.  However, having to dodge the worst of two typhoons between Alaska and Japan,  we were a day late and had to skip Kushiro.  It then took took three days in Yokohama to get a bunkering barge to the ship.  The second day, we were anchored in Yokohama Bay and could not bunker or go ashore.  That delay also meant we skipped Osaka.

@kazu  Jacqui, that is good news you were able to get a better night's sleep and that the combination of Tylenol 3 and ibuprofen helped ease the pain.  It's nice you have neighbors who will take you shopping and have the ability to miss the storms.  I hope the hospital gets the bill to you asap.,

@rafinmd  Roy, I was shocked when I read what the night nurse said, and I thought he was way out of line.  I think he should be reported to the supervisor or the doctor.  When DH asked the nurses questions about his embolism and his prognosis, their standard answer was that was a question for the doctor.  Sending very positive thoughts that with the antibiotics, time and therapy, you will be back home and off to more adventures.

@0106  Thanks for the information on the credit reports.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks again for starting the Daily and doing the lists.  Great that the boys were invited back for more tryouts, but I'm sorry Ren, his friend and their dads are in Dallas during this winter storm.  The forecast for Dallas is for freezing rain and sleet, but they won't be above freezing until Wednesday either.  Just a heads up, even with you DS being used to driving in winter weather, Texans are not, so he needs to be very careful and watch out for the crazy drivers.

@ger_77  Gerry, I used to do some ceramics when DH was in the Army.  I'm not an expert, but if the glaze is just crackling with thin lines, it might be all right to use the mug.  On the other hand, you could always just use it as decoration.

@aliaschief  Safe travels tomorrow, Bruce, and enjoy you time in the warm weather.  You have a really nice neighbor if they are willing to drive you to the airport so early in the morning.

@cruising sister  Great photos of the grandkids yesterday and today.  I hope everyone has a great time on Disney Dream.  🎈 BON VOYAGE! 🛳️

@Heartgrove  Welcome home.  Glad the cruise was good and a nice change.  Thanks for the photo of cute, happy Lily.

@ottahand7  Thanks for the photos, and glad you enjoyed your tour to the national park.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope your oral surgery goes well today.  Be careful driving, but at least, you won't be getting freezing rain.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, I'm glad you "kids" returned home safely.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 8

7 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Just heard hockey great Bobby Hull passed away.  He was 84.  RIP

I did, too.  We had a personal connection with him, as he and DH's uncle were in partnership with many Polled Hereford cattle.  Somewhere we have his autograph, and the memory of him holding our son when he was just a baby.  They were at an auction together and we had the opportunity of spending an entire evening in his hotel suite.  Unfortunately, nobody had a camera at the time.   Great memories of a great hockey player.

• Like 25

The West African peanut chicken stew was a hit! I forgot to get a picture of it though.

I kinda melded two of the recipes that @dfish posted (as is my nature being a synthetic research chemist) and will try some tweaks when I make it again. And we will make it again! My main "problem" was that it was a bit thinner and soupier than I had expected. But a little corn starch tightened it up nicely!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all.  Cloudy here and still cold with possible light snow tomorrow. The really cold weather has moved east to Denver. Our temps should be warming up into the 30's this week. The Chihuahua is pushing for a move south. As soon as as he sees me pick up his coat to put on him to take him out he starts shaking. Summer can not come soon enough for him. Bandit on the other hand loves the snow.

@kazuGlad you got a bit more rest and that can opener is working well for you. I love mine. Just need to be sure when I buy cans that there are no dents or dings in the lids. @rafinmdI agree with others... that night nurse needs to be retrained in patient interactions.

I have both a land line and a cell phone. Have kept my old land line as I have friends from the past who do not have my cell number and try to call when they come through Durango. And it is amazing how many people come through Durango.

Off to the races.... need to put some gas in the car or I will be pushing it through the streets. Groceries, dog food (very important) and dropping stuff off at the Thrift Store. And tossing stuff out. I have my eye on a drawer in a chest in my back bedroom I have not inventoried for several years. And maybe get some reading done - the magazines are piling up.

Susan

• Like 27

Just now, Overhead Fred said:

The West African peanut chicken stew was a hit! I forgot to get a picture of it though.

I kinda melded two of the recipes that @dfish posted (as is my nature being a synthetic research chemist) and will try some tweaks when I make it again. And we will make it again! My main "problem" was that it was a bit thinner and soupier than I had expected. But a little corn starch tightened it up nicely!

I let mine simmer for an hour or longer and it thickens up nicely

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, superoma said:

I let mine simmer for an hour or longer and it thickens up nicely

I put ours in in a 325F oven without a lid for over an hour (after simmering on the stove for 10-15 minutes). I think my issue was using too much chicken stock and maybe not enough peanut butter.

• Like 15

30 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's a crisp 24 degrees F here this morning.  Our "kids" returned home on a 5:30 am flight from Thailand this morning -- oh my they must feel cold!  That's a good 60 degrees colder than what they've had the last 12 days.  So glad we turned up the heat for them at their house. It was cold in there yesterday!

We haven't had a land line in a long time, but I've heard some good "inane" answering machine messages. I love bubble wrap, and would really love to escape on a cruise but have to wait 3 months before doing that.  I'll pass on the drink, wine and meal.  Tonight's meal will be some Brunswick Stew I took out of the freezer.  It's good for a chilly night. I've never been to Japan.

Jacqui @kazuyes isn't the Kitchen Mama great?!  I have my dear Dad to thank for it.  A few years back (he probably was around 100 at the time) he showed me his.  A little background, I've had a years-long aversion to electric can openers and due to arthritis, forget manual can openers.  I don't know if it's because I'm left-handed or not, but electric can openers and I just don't get along.  Anyway, I'm so glad you like yours and it helps you!  I'm sure he's smiling in heaven to know he's helped several of us.  Also very glad to hear that you slept well last night!  

Roy @rafinmdin nearly spit out my coffee when I read what that night nurse told you.  I agree with the others, that's hogwash!  I think you should let the doctor know, I'm sure he/she won't be pleased.

@HAL Sailerbelated Happy Birthday!

Jack @Heartgrovethank you for the adorable photo of Lily -- she's such a cutie!

Sandi @StLouisCruisersthank you for stepping up and getting the Daily started each day.  We appreciate you!  One thing -- on the Care rotation list --sadly my niece (actually 2nd cousin but I always thought of her as a niece) is the same Patricia who passed away a week ago.  So she can be removed from the rotation list. 😞  

Thank you for pointing that out and helping to keep the lists current.  Sorry for the mixup.🙁

29 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a cold 28F, windy and cloudy central Texas.  Just remember that what is cold is relative to where you live and what you are used to.  Our temperature will not be above freezing until sometime Wednesday.  We are supposed to get everything from freezing drizzle, light freezing rain, freezing rain and sleet.  I'm glad we don't need to go anyplace for the next few days.

We still have landlines here and in Quartzsite because of internet requirements.  The base phone for the landlines has a built in answering machine with a standard message.  I try to save bubble wrap for mailing packages, especially the Christmas cookies.  It helps keep them in one piece.  But I also like popping the bubbles.  It will still be a while before we can escape, but we did a mini escape Saturday, with a drive around our lake.  It was good getting out of the house without going to see a doctor.

I like the Bob Dylan quote, and agree with @0106 that it says to keep learning and growing.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice, but the price isn't.

Kushiro was our first Japanese port on our 2018 Circle the North Pacific cruise on Coral Princess, and it was our first refueling port.  However, having to dodge the worst of two typhoons between Alaska and Japan,  we were a day late and had to skip Kushiro.  It then took took three days in Yokohama to get a bunkering barge to the ship.  The second day, we were anchored in Yokohama Bay and could not bunker or go ashore.  That delay also meant we skipped Osaka.

@kazu  Jacqui, that is good news you were able to get a better night's sleep and that the combination of Tylenol 3 and ibuprofen helped ease the pain.  It's nice you have neighbors who will take you shopping and have the ability to miss the storms.  I hope the hospital gets the bill to you asap.,

@rafinmd  Roy, I was shocked when I read what the night nurse said, and I thought he was way out of line.  I think he should be reported to the supervisor or the doctor.  When DH asked the nurses questions about his embolism and his prognosis, their standard answer was that was a question for the doctor.  Sending very positive thoughts that with the antibiotics, time and therapy, you will be back home and off to more adventures.

@0106  Thanks for the information on the credit reports.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks again for starting the Daily and doing the lists.  Great that the boys were invited back for more tryouts, but I'm sorry Ren, his friend and their dads are in Dallas during this winter storm.  The forecast for Dallas is for freezing rain and sleet, but they won't be above freezing until Wednesday either.  Just a heads up, even with you DS being used to driving in winter weather, Texans are not, so he needs to be very careful and watch out for the crazy drivers.

@ger_77  Gerry, I used to do some ceramics when DH was in the Army.  I'm not an expert, but if the glaze is just crackling with thin lines, it might be all right to use the mug.  On the other hand, you could always just use it as decoration.

@aliaschief  Safe travels tomorrow, Bruce, and enjoy you time in the warm weather.  You have a really nice neighbor if they are willing to drive you to the airport so early in the morning.

@cruising sister  Great photos of the grandkids yesterday and today.  I hope everyone has a great time on Disney Dream.  🎈 BON VOYAGE! 🛳️

@Heartgrove  Welcome home.  Glad the cruise was good and a nice change.  Thanks for the photo of cute, happy Lily.

@ottahand7  Thanks for the photos, and glad you enjoyed your tour to the national park.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope your oral surgery goes well today.  Be careful driving, but at least, you won't be getting freezing rain.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, I'm glad you "kids" returned home safely.

Lenda

Yes, DS was a little bummed about this week's weather in Dallas when we spoke to him last night.  He mentioned the forecast for the following week seems lots better.  He doesn't have much luck  with weather while in Texas, it seems.  Two years ago he was an expert witness at a trial in Waco during the weeklong freeze and power outages.  What a disaster!  He couldn't leave!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

I noticed that the only photos from November 18th of Kushiro were posted by Tony @sailingdutchywho is still on the Koningsdam today.  I doubt he will be reposting those photos so I don't think he'd mind if I did it for him.  So for your viewing pleasure, here are Tony's wonderful photos from his stop in Kushiro, Japan.

From our cruise on the Volendam 

Kushiro is the city on the northern Japanese Island of Hokkaido and was the first Japanese Port we visited on our Trans Pacific cruise in 2017.

The Island is specially famous for the beautiful cranes which are near the Western side of the Island 

We just went into town for a walk to stretch our sea legs ( after 8 Sea Days )  and to see the famous fish market there where we had a few nibbles and a delicious bowl of Japanese soup .

We could use a very nice warm bowl of soup here tonight  " baby its cold outside “ and snowy !

Without too much commentary today  , you’ll forget names etc anyways by tomorrow , just a few nice pictures 

image.thumb.jpeg.64898ea5f7aecd3c5b5b44be9070ab21.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e5701d50ab94ea0fc134003f90434b1d.jpeg

Loved this little car check the wheels and the paw prints on the hood 

image.thumb.jpeg.29483c9a9833a2bd598cba9fd94ce575.jpeg

Utility box cover 

image.thumb.jpeg.a7519bfc7538a77accdd54dbdf750cb5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.45a161052d27325f2d996ffcff926ce4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3e2447bff1efe8d555b5b7afb83e0f8d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a50eeea175a3e1902a1ab4c376dc0309.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.13ead015a2a8c2dce664eaee0347748d.jpeg

Near the Port Entrance , some photo opportunities for us cruisers ........wonderful to be a geisha for a day for the ladies !

image.thumb.jpeg.8c7f5478079ca6f7cf456dc7943a300d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.73334961270139162eb5d76952f3696e.jpeg

Or to get some special Japanese treats 

image.thumb.jpeg.43e836f840838268485b99f0c38372d5.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Woo-hoo! I had delayed printing a luggage tag because I had an upgrade bid pending. I really expected to be informed this afternoon that it had been declined, because my bid was only slightly more than the minimum, but since it was from an inside cabin it would be in the last batch to be processed. It was accepted: to a balcony cabin on deck 9.

I found that I have to do a little more laundry, because clothes that I thought were clean are not.

1378327443_irishpossum.jpg.d4d2651edd45c52660fdf8596838f0ee.jpg

• Like 23
  • Haha 10

Good morning Daily-ites.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

My bridge was sawn off and the tooth holding the bridge that split in two and absessed was pulled.

I'm feeling pretty miserable but I'll be back tomorrow feeling chipper!

Prayers for all on our giant prayer list and Roy you are absolutely in my thoughts today. Shame on that nurse!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 13

8 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Woo-hoo! I had delayed printing a luggage tag because I had an upgrade bid pending. I really expected to be informed this afternoon that it had been declined, because my bid was only slightly more than the minimum, but since it was from an inside cabin it would be in the last batch to be processed. It was accepted: to a balcony cabin on deck 9.

I found that I have to do a little more laundry, because clothes that I thought were clean are not.

1378327443_irishpossum.jpg.d4d2651edd45c52660fdf8596838f0ee.jpg

Wow, that's fantastic news about the upgrade!  Enjoy your balcony as you sail to and from Bermuda.  😎☀️

• Like 18

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

My bridge was sawn off and the tooth holding the bridge that split in two and absessed was pulled.

I'm feeling pretty miserable but I'll be back tomorrow feeling chipper!

Prayers for all on our giant prayer list and Roy you are absolutely in my thoughts today. Shame on that nurse!

Sorry everyone for so many posts but Joy just posted while I did!

JOY, I am so sorry to hear what a miserable morning you had at the oral surgeon's.  I hope you aren't in pain!  If you feel up to it check in again later to let us know how you are coping.  I pray you will be in better condition tomorrow.🙏

• Like 21

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday.  I think our crazy freezing weather has moved on, that might be why Texas is so cold. Our low was 36F and warming up to the mid 60’s. 

Well, I had to reread Roy’s @rafinmd post three times to let it sink in what that nurse said. I just don’t believe that anyone can predict how your recovery will progress, especially since you were just recently diagnosed and hospitalized. I agree with everyone else that a discussion with your physician is in order. 

Gerry @ger_77, I’m not a ceramic expert by any means, but have you washed it in the dishwasher?  It’s possible that it isn’t dishwasher safe. I bought a mug for Craig once that has a “C” on it not realizing it wasn’t dishwasher safe, I think it’s because of the decorative painting, and it now is sitting on top of the kitchen cabinets never used. 

@GTVCRUISER and @Heartgrove, welcome home!

@kochleffel, congratulations on the upsell!

Joy @Seasick Sailor, I’m glad that the worst part of the dental work is over. Take care. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Sandi (and Rich).  Sandi, don’t worry too much about getting up early; I always did the lists well after the Daily came out.

Not a good night; I asked my night Nurse about how my release would be timed; when the antibiotics were finished.  He said in could be months if ever.  There could be permanent scarring which would leave me pretty much unable to live on my own..  

I have continuing low grade pain and hardly slept at all.  My body is at glacial speed but brain is racing.

One good thing is I coughed up a healthy bit of glop this morning.

Roy 

Praying that nurse is wrong. Hang in there.

• Like 17

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

At least 1 more day here.

Roy 

So glad to hear you have a release date in sight.  We'll pray tomorrow is the day.  Meanwhile you just get better!  I hope they were able to get you up with the walker again.  

• Like 20

I remember when growing up following the Chicago Blackhawks. I have a cousin in Montreal (Canadiens) and we would write each other about our respective teams. Chicago lost the championship to Montreal in the 1964-65 season which made my cousin happy. Bobby Hull was the handsomest Blackhawk at the time, of course we also had Stan Mikita as well.

• Like 23

Good afternoon. Thanks for starting up the Fleet Report/Daily @StLouisCruisers.

No to inane answering messages (my landline still has an answering machine). I'm a bubble wrap fan for shipping my ebay stuff. What are we escaping from? Strange quote. I've made an Instant Pot turkey breast in the past. Pass on the drink, but yes to the wine if someone else buys it.

I haven't been to Kushiro.

It's a foggy day here, gloomy and 40F. Snow and freezing drizzle tomorrow. My eyes are finally starting to clear some, but the right eye will take a while due to so much blood. I look like someone in a horror film! I've spent the morning trying to get my Medicare annual exam scheduled. My PCP has no openings until June. Then I talked with the company that sends my Kevzara, to try to find out about getting extra for when I'm away. I'll have to send an itinerary, which I don't have yet.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for your post and our lists. I think my treadmill is dying; it was making odd sounds and needs a new belt. I'm not sure it's worth repairing it, as it's over 20 years old. It's up on my 3rd floor so not easy to get rid of. I guess I'll try my elliptical for a while. Ren and Colton must be very good to get those invitations and hopefully make good decisions, with their parents' help. I can try to help when you're away, if need be  - just need to set an alarm for mornings; I've been staying up too late, which is the culprit!

@summer slope I hope the crown is easily fixed.

@kazu Wonderful news that you got a good night's sleep! So kind of your neighbors to help you out.

@rafinmd I am sorry to hear you still have pain and did not sleep well. I hope the antibiotics will clear things up, but it may take time. I would talk to the doctor about a realistic prognosis. Prayers.

@ger_77 I get cold just reading about your temps there. I'd be afraid the mug might break while full of a hot drink!

@aliaschief Safe travels tomorrow and have a great time.

@cruising sister Great photo! Bon Voyage!

@GTVCRUISER Welcome home. Great sunset.

@Cruzin Terri Sad to hear about your pain. Good luck with the HVAC.

@Heartgrove Welcome home. Thanks for the picture of sweet Lily!

@ottahand7 Looks like you got the Drake shake, rather than the Drake lake. Enjoy Antarctica, it's fabulous!

@Cruising-along I'm glad the family is safely home.

@kochleffel Woohoo on the cabin upgrade!

@Seasick Sailor Sorry your oral surgery was so involved and I hope the pain is tolerable.

Prayers for our too long Care List and Cheers to those with something to Celebrate.

Try to stay well everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 5

43 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

At least 1 more day here.

Roy 

A little short of “if ever” huh?  Moron.

Thanks for the news of Bobby Hull.  He was definitely one of the great ones.

@Seasick Sailor, thanks for checking in and I hope you are feeling better in no time.  💐

A big CONGRATULATIONS on the upgrade, @kochleffel!  What a score!

Sorry if I have missed anyone.  I always worry if I do.

• Like 23

Oh Roy!  Most nurses are angels but some….   
my dear aunt has lived in her own home until 96 and has now been admitted to hospice 

So glad Jaqui found the right med balance to keep the pain under control 

@ger_77 glad to not be home!  That’s how we like to deal with Canadian winter.  After nearly a month of extreme cold I cannot face anymore! 

E846EA02-5600-4349-BED8-0D48DFF21594.jpeg

• Like 22