The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday February 10th, 2024

kazu

Good Afternoon from the lovely Oceania Vista.

We are at sea heading to Miami.  

It is such a nice feeling to know that when everyone else is packing and rushing to get their luggage outside their doors tonight, we don’t have to do that.  We still have another seven days on the ship and will not be disembarking until Feb. 18.  

Thank you to Jacqui for the Daily and Fleet Report and to Roy for the Maps.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, thank you for the Cares and Celebration List.  Happy Anniversary for a year of doing such a wonderful job of keeping up with all of us.  Our pains and sorrows as well as our joys and celebrations.  And most especially our cruises. Hope you are soon pain-free.

Thank you to Paul for filling in for Dixie, and @superoma for filling in for Debbie and to Ann for the wine report.  

Thanks to Graham for the explanation of the days.

As for “All the News that’s fit to print,” we have a subscription to the New York Times.  We receive the Sunday Edition in Print and the daily edition online.  As former New Yorkers, it was one of the things we could just not give up.

@Haljo1935 A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

I am slowly recuperating from my injuries,  The bruises are getting lighter, but are still there.  I am able to cover up some of them with make up, and sunglasses hide the rest.  Tomorrow, I plan to get off the ship in Miami and try to get some Arnica Gel to help accelerate the healing.

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

God Bless

Terri

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, superoma said:

...Every time I wander into another thread I appreciate how civil we all are on this one. Thank you all.

YES!! I am amazed at what a bullyfest battleground some threads become. I am thankful I found this group.🙏

• Like 17

3 hours ago, cunnorl said:

I just noticed that I have been a member of Cruise Critic for 23 years today! Where has the time gone!

Happy CC Anniversary! 🎉 That is a long time - you must like it here 🤭

• Like 17

28 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good Afternoon from the lovely Oceania Vista.

We are at sea heading to Miami.  

It is such a nice feeling to know that when everyone else is packing and rushing to get their luggage outside their doors tonight, we don’t have to do that.  We still have another seven days on the ship and will not be disembarking until Feb. 18.  

Thank you to Jacqui for the Daily and Fleet Report and to Roy for the Maps.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, thank you for the Cares and Celebration List.  Happy Anniversary for a year of doing such a wonderful job of keeping up with all of us.  Our pains and sorrows as well as our joys and celebrations.  And most especially our cruises. Hope you are soon pain-free.

Thank you to Paul for filling in for Dixie, and @superoma for filling in for Debbie and to Ann for the wine report.  

Thanks to Graham for the explanation of the days.

As for “All the News that’s fit to print,” we have a subscription to the New York Times.  We receive the Sunday Edition in Print and the daily edition online.  As former New Yorkers, it was one of the things we could just not give up.

@Haljo1935 A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

I am slowly recuperating from my injuries,  The bruises are getting lighter, but are still there.  I am able to cover up some of them with make up, and sunglasses hide the rest.  Tomorrow, I plan to get off the ship in Miami and try to get some Arnica Gel to help accelerate the healing.

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

God Bless

Terri

How would rate Vista with other Oceania ships?

• Like 7

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Print newspapers are sadly going to digital around here. Happy Lunar New Year! I've not made brownies with cream cheese in them. I have friends who think like the quote, knowing more as we start out. The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Muroran. 4 interesting days in history.

It's cloudy here today, but still warm at 57F. I think they're calling for snow on Monday night, so winter's not done with us yet. I slept about 2.5 hours, then fell back asleep from 7-9 am, so not bad. I will be working in the DR again, boxing china. So many platters and bowls! I need to get rid of some. BFF volunteered to come over Monday if I still had stuff to do, as the furniture move will be Tuesday. 

@Haljo1935 Happy Birthday! 

@rafinmd Thanks for the map.

@kazu Thanks for starting us up today. The meme about fat cells is oh so true!

@StLouisCruisers Nice photos from Muroran.

@Denise T I think cooking a pizza on a grill is very doable. I have a countertop oven and since I got that I haven't used my big oven. I still need the big oven to bake bread, but I haven't done that lately since I can't stand to do all the dough mixing.

@cunnorl Congrats on your CC anniversary! That's a long time.

@ger_77 I'm glad DH's assessment went well and that they are trying for sooner rather than later for the valve replacement.

@Nickelpenny Sorry you didn't get to have your telehealth visit with the surgeon.

@smitty34877 I remember trying to complete the NYT Sunday puzzle growing up. I'm sorry you had no help last night and that there's no aide on the weekends. Kudos to DD and DSIL for helping out. I'm glad Tana is a little better today and hope the coughing eases up.

@Seasick Sailor That Mardi Gras party sounds like a fun time.

@Lady Hudson I'm glad you made it onboard with no issues and that DSIL is home now.

@RMLincoln The concert sounds like it was good; you'll learn your way around in time. Also nice that you went to the meditation group; good for the soul! 

@Heartgrove Congrats on the new car.

@Cruzin Terri Good to hear that your bruises are starting to fade. Lovely photo of you and Jim.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Thanks for the comments on the Care and Celebration Lists.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Muroran, Japan

In 2010 we took a Diamond Princess cruise from Bangkok to Anchorage.  After visiting Vietnam, Taiwan, China, S. Korea and Russia we stopped in Muroran, Japan.  When we arrived it was raining lightly.  We had that same weather in several other ports but it always seemed to stop raining by sail away time!  Before we arrived in Japan we were notified that we would have to turn off the ship’s satellite receiver in Japanese territorial waters.  So we had no internet or TV for 23 hours.   We also had to have our temperatures taken by thermal imaging before the ship arrived in Muroran.  They were very strict but as the ship’s comedian said “Hey, I thought WE won the war!” 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We had a nice welcome from the locals.

I noticed all this luggage under the tarp and wonder if some of our passengers planned to disembark before the long journey to Alaska.

Our friends from Myrtle Beach were with us, and took this photo of us in the terminal.

We didn’t have a tour to Sapporo but we did take a local bus into town so were dropped off at this little area with tents and vendors out, even in the rain.

We found one spot where you could get a beer and barbecue on a stick.  Another had samples of sake. 

There was one place you could try on kimonos, which this lady did.  We didn’t know her but she seemed happy to show everyone.

Displays of local handmade crafts 

I’m not sure what this building is but it's interesting looking.  Or the stones with Japanese writing on them. 

Later we walked around a bit and saw this temple on a side street and walked up to take a look.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We also saw this house with the name Honda on the front of it. 

If it hadn’t been raining we would have walked around more.  Time to head back to the Diamond Princess.  We noticed no business at the gas station on our way back, as seen from our bus window.

By sail away that afternoon the skies would clear as they usually did that week, and we enjoyed our last glimpse of land for a while.

We had 8 days until we reached Whittier, then a long day in Anchorage waiting for our 10:15 pm flight home.  On the way back across the Pacific we crossed the International Dateline and had two May 10ths.  We called it Groundhog Day.  Great memories from that cruise.

We were on the Diamond the same time as you, except we boarded in Beijing and got off in Vancouver.  Easy for us to take a bus to Seattle from there.  Just checked my photo file and all pictures from 2003 to 2011 are missing for some reason.  We enjoyed those repositioning cruises; we also took the Diamond from Vancouver to Beijing the previous September.

Ray

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

How would rate Vista with other Oceania ships?

Hi RNB,

Actually, I like the Riviera and Marina better.  We usually stay in a PH suite and while I like the spaciousness of the bathroom on the Vista, I do not like the configuration of the rest of the room.  They took away the walk-in closet and we now have two closets across from each other with less space.  Less drawer space.   The public rooms are beautiful.

I also like the small ships.  They have a special appeal.  

I do not think I will sail on Vista again unless there is a special itinerary i really want.

Terri

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Greetings from Hilo, Hawaii. 

@Haljo1935 Happy Birthday!

@JazzyV Happy Anniversary on doing the Cares and Celebrations list.  You are certainly worth a celebration!

@ottahand7  We are sailing full this cruise.  I think longer cruises allow people to settle into patterns and help keep the vibe a bit calmer.  Hopefully others will chime in on the demographics.  I’ve noticed a large range of ages.  We’re doing fixed dining this cruise and enjoying it.  Our table is diverse and pleasant.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Eva, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

We brought the new car home on Wednesday afternoon. I have to admit it was an essentially easy experience. I usually liken buying a car as to going to the dentist! The last two days I have been going out driving just to break it in, although I still have less than 100 miles on it. The picture was taken at one of our local Virginia wineries. The black-out look makes it look like a younger owner's choice in my opinion. Probably my last car so - why not!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

IMG_1214.thumb.JPG.5d34ce73889a16af413ce4200b477a80.JPG

Nice looking SUV, Jack 👍. What make/model is it?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hi RNB,

Actually, I like the Riviera and Marina better.  We usually stay in a PH suite and while I like the spaciousness of the bathroom on the Vista, I do not like the configuration of the rest of the room.  They took away the walk-in closet and we now have two closets across from each other with less space.  Less drawer space.   The public rooms are beautiful.

I also like the small ships.  They have a special appeal.  

I do not think I will sail on Vista again unless there is a special itinerary i really want.

Terri

Thanks.  We really like the Riviera. Prefer this size versus smaller ships.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Taken on Monday, February 5, 2024 aboard the Silver Moon Catamaran in Barbados.

Making some memories.  We had a wonderful sail.  Sadly I had an unfortunate incident at the end.

IMG_3358.jpeg

Nice photo Terri.

Sorry about your injury afterwards.

• Like 11

Morning here but for many of you good afternoon. Still Saturday, still at sea and a couple of more to go. We spent yesterday mostly without internet but around five PM it returned and it has been very good since. My Kindle ran out of juice so I spent some time on balcony mesermized by the vastness and beauty of the mighty Pacific. We enjoyed another Rice Table Chefs dinner last night followed by an outstanding guest entertainer Tom Seals. 

Today they have something planned for Lunar New Year and I have not read the Inside (Daily) yet. 
The old body says it’s time to rise and get some coffee. Will catch up on Daily post later. Have a great weekend. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.329c01c1ac285d2094ec34731d7e67cc.jpegimage.jpeg.3df2131b98583326dc2a29d262cdf362.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1a8385aeea62e64d47b232ff5d2eeb9d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.89ce89bf97ef18828d3e3a9851edf151.jpegimage.jpeg.38237abb37e021cc16e676a2fce5cb72.jpegimage.jpeg.c005843160daf69eed2d2c61ce8319f8.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Haha 12

24 minutes ago, kazu said:

Nice looking SUV, Jack 👍. What make/model is it?

Thanks Jacqui! It is a 2024 Subaru Outback Wilderness. This model from the factory has an additional 3/4" ground clearance vs. other Subarus, different gearing, all-weather tires, and a turbo engine. It is actually designed for "soft" off-roading vs. rock crawling. Probably not as offroad-capable as my Jeep CJ iwas n the '70's, but certainly more comfortable.Nearby are some forest roads that we might investigate this summer.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and happy lunar new year!   A special thanks to @JazzyVfor keeping our lists and to @rafinmd for starting and keeping track for several years! 

@Haljo1935 wishing you a very happy birthday! 
@Heartgrove congratulations on the new Subaru,  I agree that buying can be an awful experience.  We need to look at purchasing in the near future! 
@dfish wondering if your excursion was by boat?

@ger_77glad Maurice is a little further along, what a process!  
@smitty34877 sending extra hugs and prayers things improve soon for you and Tana! 

We had a rainbow too last night,  hopefully it was a good sign as I felt a little nervous going to bed last night after the earthquake.  It was really loud and seemed quite extended here. 

IMG_0586.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

Good afternoon, Dailyites,  Happy Birthday to @Haljo1935, Happy Anniversary to @JazzyV and @cunnorl, and my thoughts and prayers for Tana and everyone ailing!  This hasn't been a good week here, but it's over now, and Pat did get his "nose job" yesterday.  Actually, the doctor was quite amused by his memory of every date he has had a nosebleed, and said he must have a rare condition called autobiograpical memory.  The doctor did find, hopefully, the errant blood vessel and cauterized it.  

My mother was  born in the year of the Dragon, I was born in the year of the Dragon, and our DD was born in the year of the Dragon.  Imagine having three dragons in the house!  I have a beautiful wooden dragon I got at the Shanghai Friendship Store, Pat the Rat broke his tail off many years ago, it still needs regluing.   But at least Rats are good companions for Dragons.

IMG_4600.thumb.jpeg.1d6099db31b15f68e568d858dd93ba2f.jpeg

A friend in China sent us this

happy-chinese-new-year-2024-year-chinese-dragon-zodiac_623640-1840.thumb.jpeg.dda8380c800d8d423e7981b9678f6a56.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Ann, Paul, and Eva.  Great job Vanessa on a year with the lists, and thank you to Sandi for covering for me my first days after being hospitalized.  Happy CC anniversary @cunnorl.  Happy Birthday @Haljo1935,

Hats off to the New York Times.  I think I'll pass on the other 2 days.  I do kind of wish I could start living my ages backwards.

I have not been to Muroran.

February 10 has been quite an eventful day over the years.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Coconut and Nutmeg Soup, Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, and Pomenegranate Glazed Cornish Game Hen as served on MS Zaandam February 10, 2012.

It's been a crazy week with a number of changes at church and especially the cutover to a new implementation of the AV and streaming system.   I was supposed to be at the controls tomorrow but now the 2 leaders of the team will do it and I will try to find a quiet place somewhere outside the room to monitor the service and alert the team of any problems I see.  We had a long training session with the contractor last night and a practice session this morning.  After that I had to do some work at the fire house for our directors meeting Monday, so I'm way behind at things.

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

I quit reading our local newspaper (Mesa Tribune) several years ago when it went from a daily to weekly with no home delivery. It was down to just 4 pages and for a city of approximately 500K was just ridiculous. I've never cared for the Phoenix Republic as it isn't local. Love green bean casserole as a side dish but wouldn't cook it in a slow cooker. The wine I would enjoy if someone else bought it for me. Have never been to Japan of anywhere in the Far East. Thank you for the lovely photos @StLouisCruisers.

I was seen by the NP in the heart failure clinic and was told that I will probably need open heart surgery to replace my Mitral Valve. This had never been mentioned before. I had been scheduled to a diagnostic TEE on 2/26. It was moved up to next Tuesday 2/13 and added tests of right and left heart catheterization.at the local heart hospital. Then I have a follow up appointment on 2/22. Guess I will learn more then. I am not in pain and actually feel pretty good as long as I am just sitting. Any activity causes shortness of breath and fatigue.

Prayers for all who need them and hurrahs for all who are cruising.

Jane

• Like 14
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

I was seen by the NP in the heart failure clinic and was told that I will probably need open heart surgery to replace my Mitral Valve. This had never been mentioned before. I had been scheduled to a diagnostic TEE on 2/26. It was moved up to next Tuesday 2/13 and added tests of right and left heart catheterization.at the local heart hospital. Then I have a follow up appointment on 2/22. Guess I will learn more then. I am not in pain and actually feel pretty good as long as I am just sitting. Any activity causes shortness of breath and fatigue.

OMG Jane - I am so sorry to hear this.  I’m very grateful this has been caught in time.  You will be in my heart and prayers as you go through all of this 🙏 

• Like 16