The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 9th, 2024

kazu

Good morning, Dailyites, and condolences to Graham, @grapau27, Pauline and especially Sarah on the loss of her father.

DD and her BF are in St. John's and I hope they are not snowed in this weekend.  I imagine they need to be back in Gander for work after the weekend.  It is her birthday tomorrow.  I don;t think I have had chicken stroganoff, but DD's BF made us a delicious moose stroganoff when we were last in NL, and afterwards an also delicious Dutch Baby for dessert.  

IMG_0172.thumb.jpeg.a09f4c03101d3cf0d5aee2401ceb673e.jpeg

IMG_0177.thumb.jpeg.a3fb57cc5981d8a783ed060c507c60be.jpeg

Vanessa, @JazzyV, thanks for putting me on the list - my eye problems are very small  ones, compared with some, my vision is still good.  I must say, sitting waiting, I studied a poster of the eye and its parts, and I was just fascinated with the intricacy.  Whoever thought up eyes did an amazing job of it! 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

@kazu I'm glad you are getting a brief reprieve with the weather. I too have found things as I declutter that I rebought.

LOL Vanessa - I didn’t buy it - DD DH did.  I had no idea we had another.  He must have bought it and put it away and probably bought another one.  In the same box was a cute carving he bought in Columbia years ago !

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I think it's  "see you later, alligator" ?

Yup - you got it 👍 

Sorry, I didn’t realize the cartoon was that hard to get. 

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

It's time I stopped procrastinating and headed out to do battle with the weeds.  The sun will make it comfortable, but the wind has picked up.  Still the forecast is better today and Monday, which is the next chance I have to work outside.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute Vespucci and Genealogy. I used to wear fanny packs to amusement parks and sometimes touring; now use a small crossbody bag. Interesting quote. The meal sounds good, pass on the drink and the wine is a little pricey for everyday. I haven't been to La Possession. 3 good days in history.

It's rainy and cooler today; snow tomorrow. I didn't do a lot yesterday. The dining room chairs got whisked off to be reglued and reupholstered. During the evening I napped about 2 hours, then slept another 5 hours overnight. I think my coughing and head congestion are starting to improve (with Mucinex DM). BFF is having our friends to his house to watch the away hockey game today, but I will pass again. I'll work on DR drawers again if I feel up to it. Still issues with formatting on the Cares List, when I use the iPad; I'll work on something like maybe copying to Dropbox then to CC. 

@Haljo1935 It's frustrating when you get sent from one doctor to another to get answers. Sadly the Neurologist I saw last June, who did EMG/NCS, didn't find anything, despite my developing all my symptoms 3 months later.

@StLouisCruisers Sorry about the leak. Thanks for passing on Graham's sad news. 

@grapau27 Since condolences to Sarah, as well as you and Pauline. Even though there wasn't closeness, it's still a family loss.

@kazu I'm glad you are getting a brief reprieve with the weather. I too have found things as I declutter that I rebought.

@marshhawk Fingers crossed for a sale for you.

@cunnorl Congrats to your nephew on winning the golf tournament and to you on your putting. I'm glad the hip is feeling somewhat better. 

@Sir PMP @Mtn2Sea Thanks for the photos from Reunion Island. 

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for you and the family.

@dfish The recipes look good.

@RedneckBob 😉🕵️‍♀️

@cat shepard I'm glad you found what seems to be a great rehab place for your sister. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad you are doing better and getting some sleep.  I hope your chairs are back by Easter.

42 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! We are into the annual spring cleaning - in our case, sorting out all the ‘stuff’ that accumulated over the past year. Given that we were on the World Cruise last spring, we now have two years worth of ‘stuff’, including everything we picked up on our travels. I love DH, but the truth is a hoarder should never marry another hoarder!

We visited Reunion on the Zuiderdam last spring. It is French, but also part of Africa. St. Denis is a fascinating mix of European and African. We took the shuttle bus into town and walked ten blocks to the heart St. Denis with the huge Grande Marche market and a long pedestrian boulevard with shops and cafes. It was a wonderful experience in spite of the overwhelming heat. 
IMG_3182.thumb.png.1be27a4f67acc007b68600f6504bb82a.png

The ship,was at a container port some distance from town. Because of constant landslides closing the highway, a new one was built on an offshore causeway running along the unstable section of coast.

IMG_3184.thumb.png.96c26388bbd9d83d4a97a1a37f6ad758.png

The ten block walk in the stifling heat was broken up by several tiny parks with benches under huge trees to take a rest.

IMG_3175.thumb.png.123c3b80571dedc970804cc4da789fb1.png

The old buildings were intriguing. This doorway looks like the clock from Beauty and the Beast.

IMG_3176.thumb.png.21b97804d33788761e4057519deae553.png

By the time we reached the Hotel De Ville, I was sure we were walking through a Disney movie.

IMG_3178.thumb.jpeg.de21f79dd5dc06c8ffaf2e9ec2277fd0.jpeg

IMG_3183.thumb.png.03cf3a9e6e7311c4e470d4488664f38b.png

We turned one street too soon for the Grande Marche, and had to circle around. However, the detour gave us this mural and this view, so it was worth it.

IMG_3179.thumb.png.c769bd080ec2a29b4756dca1e62c6d38.png

IMG_3180.thumb.png.be08eaf353c66c207e4fb6ec682242a9.png

The Grande Marche. The indoor market takes up a full city block. There are carvings, clothing, linens, woven hats, etc. If it can be hand made on Reunion or Madagascar you will find it here. I did not leave empty handed!

IMG_3177.thumb.jpeg.f90dc148cbffdb73adfdb48e1ab7fe78.jpeg

We had some cards to mail. The two young Frenchmen running the post office were extremely helpful. They made sure we had the right stamps for everything, put them on for us, and gave us a souvenir St. Denis, France stamp. They treated us like an aunt and uncle, not like strangers.

Happy Saturday, everyone! Don’t forget to turn the clocks ahead tonight.

Thanks for the pictures of Reunion Island.  I can relate to going through things since I've been doing that for the past 3 2/3 years.  Still have a long way to go.

14 minutes ago, kazu said:

LOL Vanessa - I didn’t buy it - DD DH did.  I had no idea we had another.  He must have bought it and put it away and probably bought another one.  In the same box was a cute carving he bought in Columbia years ago !

Yup - you got it 👍 

Jacqui, it wasn't that hard to figure out since I've heard the saying all my life.

3 hours ago, Mtn2Sea said:

A year ago this month while on the Zuiderdam, we stopped at today’s port, La Possession, which is located on Reunion Island, a French overseas territory.  We took an all day excursion that took us into the interior of the island, which has impressive natural features created by long dormant volcanoes.  In addition to seeing magnificent scenery that included numerous waterfalls and steep mountainous terrain, we spent some time in a couple of small villages, Salazie and Hell Bourg, and had lunch in a small hotel with views of the mountains.  Our last stop was at the Roulof Vanilla Plantation, which is being run by the fourth generation of the family that established the plantation.  Reunion is a beautiful island, except for the traffic.

IMG_4842.thumb.jpeg.572d82b74d5b6b7f60b4a16018f98f37.jpeg

IMG_4841.thumb.jpeg.8e105e51b29e85c769f99bcd2e5763a0.jpeg

IMG_4840.thumb.jpeg.333f02105eeafd6027dc2bf5ce4b9ac5.jpeg

IMG_4839.thumb.jpeg.3cd810b90784fd9c913e2d324198975d.jpeg

IMG_4838.thumb.jpeg.c1d213fe10644c4aca636d79c27a84b2.jpeg

IMG_4837.thumb.jpeg.22e5ea3bcead1e8489a28312c12f7921.jpeg

IMG_4836.thumb.jpeg.ee60dbf663a357b0c047178a2680e3ac.jpeg

IMG_4835.thumb.jpeg.adc846035fdbc983bffc829dfcc8d2b3.jpeg

IMG_4834.thumb.jpeg.ee5f419648a7d22ce1b55463bb5afc0d.jpeg

IMG_4833.thumb.jpeg.ce19be7dcc2662adcc9d95e9ff6b2f88.jpeg

IMG_4832.thumb.jpeg.a7ab1fa23e404636373efe5eac709f0e.jpeg

IMG_4831.thumb.jpeg.7ed08438ef168ac011512880cfcd3dd1.jpeg

IMG_4830.thumb.jpeg.a96524399a1a3c4f5ea4bc3f50258320.jpeg

IMG_4829.thumb.jpeg.1cdeee240479aa8b311ed998e43712b7.jpeg

IMG_4827.thumb.jpeg.1fdb9772d64ca79124ec4c7bccf3d9b2.jpeg

IMG_4828.thumb.jpeg.ce46d8d7bea2c49fcc445fd63e281529.jpeg

Thanks for the great pictures of today's port.  I hope we'll get there someday.

4 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

La Possession, Reunion island:

reunion.thumb.jpg.9d711b7bb076c4ea1f9233bffe19fac5.jpgreunion-islamd-map.thumb.webp.6ec471eb5718f337fca9903eca8a997e.webp

Thanks for the picture and the map.

Lenda

• Like 21

Amerigo Vespucci Day--there's a typeface called Amerigo, designed by Gerard Unger and released by Bitstream.

amerigo.jpg.4003879eb3f8178dc6e8aecdd3e33a61.jpg

I suppose I could make chicken stroganoff with tofu sour cream. I'd skip the drink--too complicated--even if it were called something else. Two of the three grapes in today's wine aren't grown in the Finger Lakes--southern Oregon is hotter and dryer--so for a Syrah blend I might turn to The Element 2018 Can't Stop/Won't Stop, a blend of  Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir, and Syrah. (The name alludes to a cease-and-desist order they received on the blend's former name.)

GARDEN CLUB: Réunion Island receive its name from France, which claimed it in the 17th century, but France originally called it the Île Bourbon. In the Napoleonic period it was called the Île Bonaparte, and received its current name only in 1848.

Bourbon roses originated there. Vita Sackville-West put it this way:

The inhabitants of this small island had the pleasing habit of using roses for their hedges: only two kinds, the Damask rose and the China rose. These two married in secret; and one day, in 1817, the curator of the botanic garden on the Île Bourbon noticed a seedling he transplanted and grew on, a solitary little bastard which has fathered or mothered the whole race we now call the Bourbon roses.

From the Damask rose line they have fragrance, and the China rose ancestry makes them repeat-flowering. Most are hardier than China rose ancestry would lead one to expect, and can be grown in zone 5.

rainytrip.thumb.jpg.c807e1c1d00f341438f338972df6359f.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yup - you got it 👍 

Perhaps only those of us of a "certain age" would quickly get the alligator.............😊

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

Perhaps only those of us of a "certain age" would quickly get the alligator.............😊

No, no, no.  Talk about overthinking a joke!  I kept looking at the small portrait on the wall thinking it must mean something, like he'd let himself go since they married or something.  Pretty mismatched couple!  🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  Condolences to @grapau27, Sarah, and family.

Three interesting days to celebrate.  When I think of fanny pack I tend to think in terms of ski patrol.  The quote is interesting but I cannot really relate to it.

Three diverse days in history.  I'll celebrate the first and last more than the middle one.

I was due to visit Reunion in March 2020 on Queen Mary 2 but you can probably guess how that turned out.

The meal sounds interesting but not something I would find at the top of my list.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Yankee Pot Roast, and Cherry Strudel as served on MS Prinsendam March 9, 2019.

dishes09.jpg

I don't think our weather is as wet as predicted but still glad I got all my errands run before 10 this morning and don't need to go outside again.  Right now the rain sounds pretty significant on the bay window.

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, 

My condolences to @grapau27, Graham, Pauline and Sarah. I'll hold you close in my thoughts today. 

Today's plan is to stay home and get things done. My list is long. Of course I said that last Saturday and ended up at Goodwill, out to lunch, in a hailstorm and having snow! Hopefully today will be calmer and quieter. Our forecast is for wind and rain and the wind is kicking up so doing my laps inside to get my steps in. The laundry is started - changed the sheets since I'm changing the time tonight. 

Yesterday was the widow's support group and I got "encouraged" to be on the board. I said I'd let them know in a few days but I'm thinking I'll do it. Not much in the way of time commitment and I'm one of the younger people there so that might be good. 

Nothing else too exciting. I'm starting to see some results from PT for my stuck hip muscle and I'm walking a bit better. That's a plus. Cruising starts, for me, at the beginning of June with the Discovery Princess so I'm getting that "itch" to plan, go, etc. 

Karen

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning from sunny San Diego.  Hard to believe that Daylight Savings Time will be here this weekend.  

Thanks for all the contributions today.  La Possession looks like a beautiful island.  Never been, but would like to.

@cat shepardAnn, it's great to hear what a nice place your sister has for her rehab.  We've experienced challenges here in California for both my mother and DH's.  Florida is probably better set up for retirees and elder care.  

Well we thought we were home free. But the hospital wants my Sister out today and there are no beds currently available at her chosen facility. So we are all scrambling trying to find a decent facility in the general area. 

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

@grapau27

Graham, I was so sorry to read about Sarah’s father. My condolences to her, you and Pauline. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 11

9 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Well we thought we were home free. But the hospital wants my Sister out today and there are no beds currently available at her chosen facility. So we are all scrambling trying to find a decent facility in the general area. 

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Oh, how disappointing and stressful.  I know we're all sending positive thoughts and prayers that things sort themselves out in a positive way.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is from my 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  On March 9 Crystal Symphony was at sea from Yasawa-I-Rawa, Fiji to Nuku'Alofa, Tonga:

dawn0309.jpg

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

<snip>  capped off with dinner at Pinnacle  <snip>

IMG_6460.thumb.jpeg.5f473f6cca5ef273ac3a58a53affac81.jpeg

When did they start offering carpaccio at the PG for dinner?  It has always been on the menu at lunch but I've NEVER seen it offered at dinner (I'm most recently off a HAL ship just two months ago).  Or perhaps it wasn't on the menu and you coaxed them into serving it?  As I frequently coax them into fixing me a strawberry pavlova at dinner 🙂.  

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

@grapau27

Graham, I was so sorry to read about Sarah’s father. My condolences to her, you and Pauline. 

Ann, I'm sorry that the hospital won't let your sister stay until she can get a bed in the chosen facility.  Could she be moved to the chosen one when a bed is available?  She probably won't start therapy until Monday anyway.

2 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

When did they start offering carpaccio at the PG for dinner?  It has always been on the menu at lunch but I've NEVER seen it offered at dinner (I'm most recently off a HAL ship just two months ago).  Or perhaps it wasn't on the menu and you coaxed them into serving it?  As I frequently coax them into fixing me a strawberry pavlova at dinner 🙂.  

Susan, it's on the menu in Canaletto, and they also had it in the MDR the last night of our cruise last month.  Both did a good job, and it was very good.  I've read of someone getting it in the Pinnacle at dinner since it's on their lunch menu.

Lenda

Lenda

• Like 11

Posted (edited)

Good morning and thanks all!  
@grapau27my condolences to Sarah, Pauline and you.  Estrangement makes grief even harder.  
@cat shepard I am sorry to hear you are having to scramble. So unfortunate! 
@luvteaching I’m sure the board would benefit from your participation.  

Our last day here,  the laundry awaits, lol!  A view of Haleakala

IMG_0980.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

@Overhead Fred thank you for the correction.  Sometimes I click the wrong button.

No worries! I've clicked the wrong button countless times.

I wonder if the drink would be available on a BHB 😵? It sounds crazier than a Wang Wang...

• Like 11

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Susan, it's on the menu in Canaletto, and they also had it in the MDR the last night of our cruise last month.  Both did a good job, and it was very good.  I've read of someone getting it in the Pinnacle at dinner since it's on their lunch menu.

Yeah, I've had the carpaccio at all three venues -- I'll take it WHEREVER it's offered.  Oh and BTW, it has been deleted from the "new" Canaletto menu, much to my chagrin. 

No, I think that what my concern was with posting -- although I didn't articulate it very well -- is the following:  It would be very unusual to offer TWO raw-beef preparations as starters in the PG.  I'm wondering if the steak tartare was discontinued and the carpaccio was offered IN LIEU OF the steak tartare.  I hope not -- as the tartare is ALWAYS my appetizer choice at dinner in PG.

How's Steve's gait and memory progressing?

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 10

Good Sunday morning here. Yesterday we were given a thorough tour of the bridge by the Captain. They are doing this in small groups for all of us world voyagers. They also had an Aussie Tea lunch for us with meat pies, scones, petite sandwiches and even cottage cream. Very nice gathering. We also got an updated briefing on our detoured cruise around Africa. Some port changes and even the possibility of an overland safari excursion. They have been very generous in their offers. Basically 34 days of free cruising and 34 days of FCC.

Later this morning we will arrive in Alotau, Papua New Guinea followed by a sea day and then Madang, Papua, New Guinea.

It’s 6:50 AM and coffee is calling. Thanks for the reports and post.

Having a grand time. Bruce

The morning view.

image.thumb.jpeg.64c5d6ea2d6e1a3cf50462a42cca8078.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ab7c4ea22d287c3915cdbb92570f99c5.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hi -- engineer here (yeah, I really was one).

The name of the drink is referring to the colloquial nicknames of the sequential strokes of a four-stroke internal-combustion engine -- well, three of them at least:

Suck -- intake

Squeeze -- compression (somehow not included in the name of the drink)

Bang -- combustion

Blow -- exhaust

'Nuff said 🙂.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Well damn Ann 😡 the hospital has put you all in the lurch 😢 

I’m kind of surprised that the hospital will not keep her if there are no facilities.  Talk about heartless 😡 

I hope your scramble gets you something decent and you can then transfer your sister to the good one when there is an opening.

What disappointment, maddening and worrisome.  My prayers are with you all.

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Susan, it's on the menu in Canaletto, and they also had it in the MDR the last night of our cruise last month. 

It was still on the menu in the Canaletto?  My hopes are up then.  The new menu has it off - if it’s not there I will ask on the Volendam.  thanks 🙂 

24 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We also got an updated briefing on our detoured cruise around Africa. Some port changes and even the possibility of an overland safari excursion. They have been very generous in their offers. Basically 34 days of free cruising and 34 days of FCC.

Wow!  That sounds more than fair to me, Bruce 🙂.  I am glad they are “making up” for your detour.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

It was my understanding that the word "fanny" was not acceptable in many parts of the world. And even after @AV8rix's explanation, no way am I ordering it! @grapau27my thoughts are with you and your family. @57redbirdToo bad we're going to be on different islands next week. It would have been fun to meet up. Take care everyone and have a good weekend. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Still a very good score. May I ask which tee box do y’all play from. I am currently at the senior box and if things don’t improve soon will be at the ladies tee box.

At 78 years old, definitely the senior tees around 5200 yards, our course is on the tough side with quite a bit of water and way too many palmetto bushes. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

...  Annie, @marshhawk I’m saddened by your difficulties getting affordable meds, and by so many other parts of our medical system that I saw as broken during my years in the Emergency Medical Service… I want to say that my heart goes out to everyone dealing with our difficult, often broken, sometimes dysfunctional medical system. I have seen people suffer as they fall through its cracks, and been there when they died, especially those who needed and deserved mental health care...

Thank you @marshhawk @kochleffel @kazu and everyone who participated in the medical discussions yesterday. 

Your mention @RMLincoln of the shortfalls in our system, especially in Mental Health tugs at my heart as one who has lost a brother, nephew and cousin to suicide. 

These are important conversations.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4