The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 16th, 2024

kazu

5 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I'll give a quick answer, then a more complete one. Yes, the helpers have advanced lists so that they have the information available. Everything other than the fleet locations are already planned thru the end of the year.

The more complete answer. For the most part I am solely responsible for the content of the Daily. The lists come from searches such as best wines, best meals etc. Last October / November I spent quite a bit of time getting these lists together. I did the searches and sent preliminary lists to each of the helpers and asked for comments. Debi requested that I not use meals from some sources because they are more difficult to link to. Sandi and I went back and forth a bit about which ports to use. I think Ann sent me a link to a list of wines. Once everyone was at least moderately happy, I loaded the information into a database, which generates the Daily each day and publishes it to halfacts.com/daily.  If I'm not available to post it in a timely manner, than Jacqui or one of several other people do the posting, and are welcome to add / change things if they want.

For what it is worth, I found a list of about 1000 quotes so that part is set till some time next year.

Thanks for this peek behind the curtain or under the hood, whichever you prefer. 

I lurked for years on CC before joining and your thread before commenting. It was this fabulous place that pulled me over the edge. Thanks to all of you for the warm, embracing environment. 

Happy Anniversary!!

• Like 20

Wow! What a day - quite the anniversary, that black cloud of Covid certainly brought a silver lining.  Rich and the helpers have done an amazing job.  Kudos to you all.

We have had a busy couple of days.  DD fell again, and hurt her shoulder,  yesterday am., and stayed in bed all day, with me checking on her, then up most of the night feeding her T1's,  This morning she finally admitted she was not getting any better, and I was permitted to call an ambulance.  They decided she had fractured her humerus (they said "not funny") and carted  her off to the hospital.  She is still waiting for the doctor, but has had tests, x-rays, etc.  I'm afraid she is osteoporotic like me and most of the other women in my family.   Tonight is our complex St. Patrick's Day party and I have made 2 huge rounds of soda bread to take but I'm not sure if we will attend if we need to be at the hospital for DD.  Just have to wait and see how it goes.  I don't have anything green to wear, anyway...

Congrats to Pennie and Annie, must be the luck of the Irish?  Of course hard work on Annie's part.  Murphy looks so cute, how wonderful she is doing so well.  Isn't it great that Kathi is cruising again?  My thoughts are with all of the Dailyites.  Must go.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 12

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Wow! What a day - quite the anniversary, that black cloud of Covid certainly brought a silver lining.  Rich and the helpers have done an amazing job.  Kudos to you all.

We have had a busy couple of days.  DD fell again, and hurt her shoulder,  yesterday am., and stayed in bed all day, with me checking on her, then up most of the night feeding her T1's,  This morning she finally admitted she was not getting any better, and I was permitted to call an ambulance.  They decided she had fractured her humerus (they said "not funny") and carted  her off to the hospital.  She is still waiting for the doctor, but has had tests, x-rays, etc.  I'm afraid she is osteoporotic like me and most of the other women in my family.   Tonight is our complex St. Patrick's Day party and I have made 2 huge rounds of soda bread to take but I'm not sure if we will attend if we need to be at the hospital for DD.  Just have to wait and see how it goes.  I don't have anything green to wear, anyway...

Congrats to Pennie and Annie, must be the luck of the Irish?  Of course hard work on Annie's part.  Murphy looks so cute, how wonderful she is doing so well.  Isn't it great that Kathi is cruising again?  My thoughts are with all of the Dailyites.  Must go.

Ann, I'm sorry your DD fell and now is in the hospital waiting to see the doctor.  I hope she get the help she needs soon.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Ann, sorry to hear this. My DD DM fell and fractured her humerus high up. Because of the location it couldn't be casted and she was put in a sling. I hope DD gets soon seen and a treatment plan formulated.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JazzyV said:

Ann, sorry to hear this. My DD DM fell and fractured her humerus high up. Because of the location it couldn't be casted and she was put in a sling. I hope DD gets soon seen and a treatment plan formulated.

Yes, it's high up, I thought at first it was her shoulder - then I dreamt last night that the only thing they could do for her was a full body cast for 6 weeks (puts paid to our cruise coming up), when I told DD about the full body cast, she was not amused!

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

Hello everyone, I’m late again today.  DH has contracted my chest cold so it’s the house of coughing, sneezing, Mucinex, Dayquil rinse and repeat. I did want to at least say happy 4th anniversary to the daily report and to all of you who make it so special.  This place evolved out of the darkness of covid (really, weren’t the posts from folks asking when they were getting their deposits back enough to make you lose it?) and spread a little light around and then a little more until it’s present form.  We’ve lifted each other up through dark times and celebrated the happy ones. I hope this continues for another four years and beyond!

• Like 20

57 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@grapau27 and @dfish.. Graham and Debbie 

I grew up in a dysfunctional family. My mother went to parts unknown when I was 15. My dad remarried 8 months later. I couldn't live in the environment. Abuse, groundings, my stepmother had serious issues. I moved in with a family that charged little rent and I had 2 good jobs. I graduated and got a great job at Bank Americard in Chicago, and year's later working for Hughes Helicopters,  McDonnell Douglas, Boeing. 

I look back on those years now and I'm pretty proud of myself.

I wish I had a Graham/Pauline, Debbie/Sue to get me through the tough times. God bless all who have stepped forward.

Bless you, Joy.  My dad was mostly raised by his grandmother as his parents had an on again off again marriage, mostly due to alcohol and my grandfather's roving eye.  Actually, I think he was undiagnosed bipolar.  It sounds like the family you moved in with acted as your Graham/Pauline, Debbie/Sue.  

There are so many kids out there that need someone or something to help them find some stability.  My dad was always active in Big Brothers as he knew that need from his own experience.  We should all have a child we "foster".  The teenagers need it a lot, even though they are difficult. 

I remember one girl I had in class when I was subbing.  I was there for several days and called her grandmother because of her behavior in class.  She was living with Grandma at the time.  She was in 10th grade and had been in 7 school districts.  They went to Grandma's because she and her little brother had locked themselves in the bathroom to keep their mom's latest boyfriend at bay.  They ended up going out the window and running to a neighbor's house.  She and I had a long, long talk at school and I helped her get a counselor she could talk with on an as needed basis.  A few weeks later I was subbing in another class and she came in and exclaimed, "You came back to me!"   It doesn't take much to make a difference to a child. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I look back on those years now and I'm pretty proud of myself.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

My sweet sister!!! I am so proud of all your accomplishments through life! With all the ups and downs ( which I am one also) we are survivors! Look at your life now Joy! From Idaho which I was there through you and Allen selling everything and moving and leaving your friends for a wonderful new life with Allen!! You are a MAGNET 🧲 that attracts wonderful souls in your presence! Allen and you are so blessed with love and a wonderful community! Remember your future and not think of all the past! 
Life is so precious and all of us need to remember that!

Sorry Joy I needed to let you know!

we are all survivors! 
I so hope I did not step out of line, I only now write when I feel I need too!

🌺 Mahalo Deniseimage.png.3744020b363de14772c7e07c7f541200.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@Vict0riann I am so sorry for your daughter.  I hope they can set the bone and help with the pain. 

@richwmn You are way too modest.  Yes, Rich does the lion's share of the work.  I just look up recipes and put the links and pictures in the thread. But Rich has to compile all that and put up with those of us who are picky.  Like me.

@Mr. Boston I'm sorry that your DH has come down with the crud. I hope he recovers quickly. And, yes, those threads of people yelling that HAL was criminal for not returning their deposits immediately were a bit too much to take.  I stayed away from CC for quite a while until one day when I ventured in and found the Daily. 

46 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

DH uses the freebies from the dentist when we travel, and I stick to my Sensodyne.

Lenda

When Sue retired she brought home a huge big box of the trial size toothpastes.  We're set for cruising.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

DD fell again, and hurt her shoulder,  yesterday am., and stayed in bed all day, with me checking on her, then up most of the night feeding her T1's,  This morning she finally admitted she was not getting any better, and I was permitted to call an ambulance.  They decided she had fractured her humerus (they said "not funny") and carted  her off to the hospital.  She is still waiting for the doctor, but has had tests, x-rays, etc.  I'm afraid she is osteoporotic like me and most of the other women in my family.  

5 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Evidently, it is broken.  Now to see what they will do.

As soon as you said fracture Ann, I knew it was a break.  Fractures are breaks - and need to be treated as such.  

Hopefully it is a clean one and she doesn’t need surgery 🤞. Just based on my own (ouch) personal experience with broken bones - I am pretty sure she will be in a cast or a brace for a while. 

If she is, do let me know.  I can give you some tips for her on sending messages to the muscles and helping mobility in the cast.  I’ve been there and done that more than once, sadly.

prayers for her and and an easy treatment and recovery 🙏 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

When Sue retired she brought home a huge big box of the trial size toothpastes.  We're set for cruising.

My periodontist doesn’t give out toothpaste anymore.  I didn’t keep the old ones as they had expired.  Did I make a mistake?

@ger_77 - I like your idea of just transferring some toothpaste - I don’t think I have seen any tiny toothpaste holder gizmos but I’m going to look to see if any of my little bottles would work.  Thanks 🙂 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Hello everyone, I’m late again today.  DH has contracted my chest cold so it’s the house of coughing, sneezing, Mucinex, Dayquil rinse and repeat. I did want to at least say happy 4th anniversary to the daily report and to all of you who make it so special.  This place evolved out of the darkness of covid (really, weren’t the posts from folks asking when they were getting their deposits back enough to make you lose it?) and spread a little light around and then a little more until it’s present form.  We’ve lifted each other up through dark times and celebrated the happy ones. I hope this continues for another four years and beyond!

Oh darn - so sorry to hear that you DH has come down with a chest cold.  I hope he can get rid of it quickly with no dire consequences.

I too remember the clamouring for deposits back on the boards.  A calamity hits and they expected everything to work like clock work.  OMG.  this thread was the bright light then and still is. ♥️ 

• Like 19

Thanks for your photos today Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser.  Nancy @ottahand7 if you'd like more photos of Moorea, the first date it was posted there were some nice photos from John @Copper10-8 and @daisybertie.  

When I was looking for the first destination of the day I found @KirkNC started us up on Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit on the first of February 2021.  It caught on fast!  He wasn't familiar with the white part, but others recalled it from their ancestors.

Lorraine @cruising sister we are enchanted with Baby Murphy!  She looks so precious dressed in her shamrocks.  Thank you so much for posting her photo.

BTW, I found out from DD that my great nephew's twins are identical and boys!  The first set were too.  Not only that but both sets of twins were "natural" and did not need any medical intervention for their start in life.  Wow, is all I can say!

Elizabeth @Haljo1935 not a problem ranting about the miserable day you've had.  Any ONE of those things could put you in a bad mood, but all of them?  You have my admiration for holding it together this well!

Maureen @RMLincoln your photos of Moorea are gorgeous!  Give your DH our compliments.

@irishjim it's always good to see an old friend!  Congratulations on your 63rd anniversary tomorrow!

Rich @richwmn thank you for your gracious post today.  Everyone who can help here is pleased to do so!

Vanessa @JazzyV thanks a bunch for the photo of @RedneckBob today.  It was a hoot seeing him sail by!

Ann @Vict0riann I'm so sorry to hear of your DD's fall and OMG!  Her broken bone!  I hope things go as smoothly as possible with the cast and she's healed and back on her feet as soon as possible.

Oh no @Mr. Boston!  What a bummer for your DH catching your "germs".  Seems to never fail.  I hope it won't be long before he's feeling much, much better.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Our sunny day started turning cloudy this afternoon.  We did get to 63F, but while I was in the grocery store, a strong north wind came up and dropped the temperature to 57F.  It is now 53F and raining.  We got the taxes finished today, but we won't be filing them until closer to that dreaded day in April.

17 minutes ago, dfish said:

Bless you, Joy.  My dad was mostly raised by his grandmother as his parents had an on again off again marriage, mostly due to alcohol and my grandfather's roving eye.  Actually, I think he was undiagnosed bipolar.  It sounds like the family you moved in with acted as your Graham/Pauline, Debbie/Sue.  

There are so many kids out there that need someone or something to help them find some stability.  My dad was always active in Big Brothers as he knew that need from his own experience.  We should all have a child we "foster".  The teenagers need it a lot, even though they are difficult. 

I remember one girl I had in class when I was subbing.  I was there for several days and called her grandmother because of her behavior in class.  She was living with Grandma at the time.  She was in 10th grade and had been in 7 school districts.  They went to Grandma's because she and her little brother had locked themselves in the bathroom to keep their mom's latest boyfriend at bay.  They ended up going out the window and running to a neighbor's house.  She and I had a long, long talk at school and I helped her get a counselor she could talk with on an as needed basis.  A few weeks later I was subbing in another class and she came in and exclaimed, "You came back to me!"   It doesn't take much to make a difference to a child. 

Debbie, I'm know it is very rewarding when you know you made a difference in someone's life.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

I'm sorry your DH is now fighting a chest cold.  I hope he feels better soon.

9 minutes ago, dfish said:

@Vict0riann I am so sorry for your daughter.  I hope they can set the bone and help with the pain. 

@richwmn You are way too modest.  Yes, Rich does the lion's share of the work.  I just look up recipes and put the links and pictures in the thread. But Rich has to compile all that and put up with those of us who are picky.  Like me.

@Mr. Boston I'm sorry that your DH has come down with the crud. I hope he recovers quickly. And, yes, those threads of people yelling that HAL was criminal for not returning their deposits immediately were a bit too much to take.  I stayed away from CC for quite a while until one day when I ventured in and found the Daily. 

Debbie, my dentist not only gives out the small toothpaste tubes, but toothbrushes and dental floss.  I haven't bought dental floss in years.  Since we switched to an electric toothbrush, I save the toothbrushes for a while, and then take them to Carol's Closet where they distribute more than clothes.  I do keep a couple of the toothbrushes in case someone forgets to bring theirs when they visit, as has happened.

Lenda

• Like 16

17 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

My sweet sister!!! I am so proud of all your accomplishments through life! With all the ups and downs ( which I am one also) we are survivors! Look at your life now Joy! From Idaho which I was there through you and Allen selling everything and moving and leaving your friends for a wonderful new life with Allen!! You are a MAGNET 🧲 that attracts wonderful souls in your presence! Allen and you are so blessed with love and a wonderful community! Remember your future and not think of all the past! 
Life is so precious and all of us need to remember that!

Sorry Joy I needed to let you know!

we are all survivors! 
I so hope I did not step out of line, I only now write when I feel I need too!

🌺 Mahalo Deniseimage.png.3744020b363de14772c7e07c7f541200.png

It's friends like you who remind us how grateful and blessed we are. I'm so sorry we always missed our timing window at the Barefoot Bar. We walked by your house 100 times!

You never step out of line! Thank you for your sweet, kind words.

Hope to hear more from you, but I know you are keeping in touch. Love to you, sister. Give a hug to Paisley!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I had, what I now think, a dysfunctional mother...divorced from my dad when I must have been quite young as I have no memory of him till I met him when I was 25 or so. She had very few friends so my significant females were my never married aunt & her niece, both teachers, who lived across the street & endured hours of Monoply & taught me Canasta & let me grade 3rd graders papers & my mom's brother's wife who remained one of my treasured friends for many, many years until she passed.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

I had, what I now think, a dysfunctional mother...divorced from my dad when I must have been quite young as I have no memory of him till I met him when I was 25 or so. She had very few friends so my significant females were my never married aunt & her niece, both teachers, who lived across the street & endured hours of Monoply & taught me Canasta & let me grade 3rd graders papers & my mom's brother's wife who remained one of my treasured friends for many, many years until she passed.  

I was lucky and had a Leave It To Beaver childhood.  While Mom and Dad weren't perfect and made their mistakes, they always strived to do the right thing.  My dad vowed that he would make sure his kids had a stable home and loving parents.  They were the Mom and Dad who went to every Little League game, all the Band Concerts, the PTA meetings, Pee Wee Football, and a host of other activities we were involved in.  Mom was a Bluebird Mom when there was no one to lead the group and sister Barb wanted to be a Bluebird (older girls were Camp Fire Girls).  The band kids built their Homecoming float in our garage several years in a row.  And I'll never forget the time Dad took off for family hour swimming at the pool with 22 kids in the back of the car.  

We were also blessed with the family across the street.  Pop Hop was an art teacher and Mom Hop was the neighborhood mother.  There was always something cooking on the stove and if you were hungry, you pulled a bowl out of the cupboard, ladled out whatever was in the pot, and sat down and ate.  They owned a coney dog stand in town and if Mom Hop was taking the coney sauce down to the store, you went with her and everyone got a coney dog.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Just checking in real quick.

i have been super busy and will try better to post.

As for my friend, Anita, I have no news.  I have no idea where she is or where to even to start looking for her,.

She is not in the hospital, they will not even tell me is she was ever there.   I haven’t called the Doctor’s office because they will not give me any info due to privacy concerns.

She does not answer her phone and the cell phone number I have is the wrong number.

So i am completely lost.

@JazzyV, Vanessa,  if you wish you can take her off the list if you wish.  i am sure she needs prayers but I am at a total loss.  

I don’t travel in the same circle of friends as she does so I don’t know them.  

She and I are linked because our husbands were schoolmates in High School.  

There’s more to this story but I won’t go into it.  

i want to help her, but if I can’t find her, I can’t help.

Thanks for the prayers.

Terri

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

So, DD is not in a cast, just a cloth sling.  The doctor told her that her BP is too low and to cut her dose in half.  (Being the Mom, I had already told her that.)  I am to go and pick her up right after she has another x-ray.  She wants me to pick up a chocolate milkshake  at McD's on the way to the hospital.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

Hi from the Volendam, at sea today, on our way to Nuku'alofa, Tonga. It is a beautiful day at sea.

@cruising sister, sweet baby Murphy looks great! So glad to see she is progressing nicely. 

@richwmn, my thanks for creating this great thread. Happy anniversary!

Safe travels to all traveling. 

Take care all,

Caron

• Like 14