The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday, Mach 31st, 2024

kazu

Easter Sunday

Today is Bunsen Burner Day, Cesar Chavez Day, and International Hug A Medielvalist Day

If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.--Stephen King

Meal Suggestion for today - Spinach Egg Bake
Drink of the Day - Almost a Collins
Wine of the Day - Pierre Amadieu 2019 Domaine Grand Romane Red (Gigondas)
Destination of the Day - Nafplio Bay Anchorage, Greece

Today in History:
1930 The Motion Pictures Production Code is instituted, imposing strict guidelines on the treatment of sex, crime, religion and violence in film for the next 38 years
240 BC 1st recorded perihelion passage of Halley's Comet
1867 Alaska Purchase: US buys Alaska from Russia for $7,200,000 ($109 million in 2018), roughly 2 cents an acre

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles eta 04-01

Koningsdam

Ensenada, Baja California Mexico 07:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 09:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00 

Oosterdam

Panama Canal 

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 04-01

Volendam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 04-06

Zaandam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 04-13

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Hobart, Tasmania Australia eta 04-02

Westerdam

Himeji, Japan Hyogo 08:00 - 19:00 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Victoria, Seychelles eta 4

• Like 18
  • Thanks 22

Posted (edited)

Happy Easter everyone.

Almost A Collins cocktail:

A tasty and simple vodka cocktail, the "almost a collins" recipe is not quite a collins drink. However, its unique flavor combination is fantastic, so it gets a pass for breaking a few "rules." It is perfect for the colder months of the year and might be the ultimate blood orange cocktail. If you're a fan of the dark, sweet citrus, you'll thoroughly enjoy this drink.

Ingredients.
1 1/2 ounces vodka (Ketel One)
1 ounce blood orange juice.
1/2 ounce cinnamon simple syrup.
3 ounces blood orange soda (Dry Sparkling)
Garnish: blood orange wheel. Garnish: cinnamon stick.

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 6.23.06 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 20

Today’s Care List:

Seasick Sailor’s DH Allen with abnormal lab results, eczema flareup

Ger_77’s friend Gord post-arrest, in CCU

Seasick Sailor’s friend’s DM in hospice, another friend with pulmonary issues

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness

2 crew members killed due to steam line bursting on Nieuw Amsterdam

Baltimore Key Bridge collapse, 6 people presumed dead

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; Haiti unrest

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory issues

Nickelpenny with leg numbness and pain

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Easter!

Bon Voyage Sailingdutchy (Tony & Martha)!

Hogladyrider on the way to Utah

USN59-79 in Taipei

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Lobsternight (Koningsdam April 5 to April 27) 22d Solar Eclipse, Mexican Riviera and Hawaii

6 days for richwmn (Volendam next segment Apr 6 to Apr 21) 15d PC cruise

RedneckBob (Nieuw Statendam to March 31) 7d E. Caribbean, GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to Apr 6) B2B 7d Mexico + 7d Pacific Coastal, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Smmessineo (Rotterdam to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer, POA1 & Huskerchick (Rotterdam to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer, Ocean sounds (Zaandam to Apr 13) 14d Solar Eclipse & Mexican Riviera, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam Mar 31 to April 7) B2B 7d E. Caribbean + (Nieuw Statendam Apr 7 to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 24

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

62 right now with another great day coming up with a high of 82 and sunny skies.

Happy Easter to most of the Christian world. I’m Greek Orthodox and this year our Easter isn’t until May 5th as the Orthodox Church still uses the Julian calendar, I can’t answer why.

Strange selection of days, I guess the quote makes sense.

I’d try the meal of the day.

Illinois is out of the NCAA tournament as UCONN destroyed them.

For you Golf fans like me, my bet is on Scottie Scheffler winning his 3rd tournament in a row, he is in a 3 way tie going into the final round, he actually acknowledged the fans yesterday on a few occasions.

Have a great day, a beautiful Easter and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Happy Easter.

Cool and cloudy today, not much on the agenda.

Three interesting days to celebrate, I don't think I know a Medievalist to hug.

Not sure about the quote, I like to read but I don't write stories.

I'll pass on the meal, the drink sounds interesting, hope the wine is good.

I've never been to today's port, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends and Happy Easter!  This morning it is 52F.  Today will be a mix of sun and clouds and a high of 79.  Still, a lovely day for Easter celebrations.✝️🐰

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.  Quite a variety of days to recognize but doubt I run into a Bunsen burner, Cesar Chavez or a medievalist - sorry!  Stephen King may have something there with his quote.  A spinach-egg bake would not be my first choice.  Probably would skip the cocktail and red wine. Looks like we celebrate the Alaska Purchase again as well as Hailey's Comet and the 1930 motion picture code.  Thanks to our F&B ladies Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for you reports each and every day!

Prayers said today for DB, great nephew Alex's twin boys, friends Scott, Susan and Sandy, and our many friends here at the Daily who need prayers for health issues, pain, emotional issues and stress.  So sorry to hear about Paul @kochleffel's fall and hope the pain has reduced.  Also for Dixie and George's @summer slope aches and pains after the golf cart accident.  Hope the bruising is going away.  Also sending prayers for those in Israel and Ukraine living in war conditions, the hostages held so long, and our military in the region in harm's way.  🙏

Cheers to those celebrating birthdays and anniversaries and their wonderful cruises. 🚢🎂🎉 Bon Voyage Tony and Martha @sailingdutchy.   And thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping the lists updated for us today.  Hope you had a good night's sleep last night and not as much pain.

The destination today is Nafplio (or Nafplion?) Bay anchorage, Greece.  This is the first time for the Bay anchorage though we've seen the port of Nafplion, Greece three times  already.  I'll post the links for them in case you want to post photos of that area.

Wishing everyone who celebrates it a Happy Easter.  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Happy Easter everyone! 

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Happy Easter to all who celebrate!

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Hope you find someone for Ivan soon! Thank you for today’s maps, Roy. A lovely Easter sunrise at the beach this morning.

IMG_2670.jpeg.48e449fb3fd3a9500e7d6eee0b8b4e70.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us, in spite of the pain, and the disappointment of the pain returning so quickly. Praying that you get permanent relief soon. 

Gym, Bindi walks, a visit with my Sister & Brayden this afternoon. Saw my second fawn of the season yesterday. All wobbly legs. I wonder if we will have another set of twins this year. 

IMG_2628.jpeg.31aa6c128c3dfadf90a03d5f5625ec05.jpeg

IMG_2631.jpeg.5ca110714d4c2bf18ed3106376e383ac.jpeg

IMG_2616.jpeg.8cba2809457297107185b6156df2b27a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Pierre Amadieu 2019 Domaine Grand Romane Red (Gigondas)

This Rhône red blend sounds lovely. My favorite varietal combination. Available from a decent number of distributors with online prices starting at $27.99.

93 Wine Enthusiast 

This is a powerful blend of 65% Grenache, 20% Mourvèdre and 15% Syrah.The wine is so lively upon opening that it will surely pique curiosity amongst enthusiasts. An intense core of blackberries, sunbaked plums and touch of wild mint coats the palate. Natural high-altitude acidity helps draw a long, dark-fruited finish, with salinity, fine gritty tannins and clove. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 4

For the first time in 5 days, the sun is shining and the snow didn’t stick!  Is Spring here finally?  I’m not sure we can count on it yet based on the forecast.

IMG_1726.jpeg.39893070d4359b34a18ca9684759e2cd.jpeg

Ivan had a walk with a potential person yesterday and I interview today.  Another back up plan has arisen.  My friend who is an excellent dog trainer (helped me with Shadow) has offered to take Ivan if I like.  She has a massive wolfhound and I’m not sure how Ivan would react but we are going to find out.  Believe it or not, that huge dog is a service dog so if Ivan is nervous or unhappy, he’ll just walk away.  I am really hoping though that today’s interview and meet and greet is a good one.  It’s the ideal solution for Ivan.

IMG_2263.thumb.jpeg.53db324e9fa4856b81603e98017971e3.jpeg

Wasted half of yesterday organizing a private tour for next year.  Stupid company wants to do everything on what’s app and you are constantly talking to other people.  I’m not impressed.  All they had to do was answer my email and I would have saved 2 hours of crap - not to mention the difficulty of having to go back on what’s app to get them to fix a couple of things due to the failure of their website.  My back was up and I went looking for alternatives.

IMG_1700.jpeg.feb6cfd6c8b2c39ed4ba27d3d3941431.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries and those that need them. 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_2264.jpeg.2cc462db2c3aa0cd5dc4c44f385e7c87.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

Good morning, everyone!

Happy Easter to all who celebrate. Not much on our agenda today.  I am looking forward to a day of rest.  We took DB Jeff out to eat last night for his birthday.  That was pleasant.  DB Bill and DSIL Lauren have gone to their daughter's for the weekend.  Jeff will not be pulled away from the basketball tournament.  I was surprised he went to dinner yesterday!

Today's meal sounds like a good entry to the Easter Brunch.  Dad used to make special breakfasts for us on Easter in an attempt to lure us away from all the candy.  He was semi successful.  My favorite was chicken livers marsala over toast.  The spinach and egg bake is nutritious as the eggs provide protein and the spinach is just full of good nutrients.  The dish is also low carb and great for those watching their blood sugar.  Morning is sometimes difficult and some people react more strongly to carbs in the morning.   https://kalynskitchen.com/recipe-for-spinach-and-mozzarella-egg/

spinacheggbake1.thumb.jpg.51f7f89fd39f52aa6383a6ea65ee4488.jpg

This one is a little more savory with the smoked paprika and sharp white cheddar cheese.  https://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/spinach-egg-bake/

spinacheggbake2.thumb.jpg.d19e66a3420e0b5d7a786f76292daec8.jpg

I like the addition of tomatoes in this one. While all these recipes stick to the healthy side, you can add in some bacon or sausage if you like that!   https://www.skinnytaste.com/breakfast-casserole-with-spinach-and-feta/

spinacheggbake3.thumb.jpg.a25c2080488c22b5e4c33f7cc8381e7f.jpg

As for us, we are having Beef Wellington.  I've always wanted to try making it and DB Chef Jeff says it isn't hard.  

BeefWellington.thumb.jpeg.18b88c7d4334eb01f77ff5d4cfd689ba.jpeg

Wishing you all a wonderful day with no falls, accidents, or bruises.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 18

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Happy Easter to most of the Christian world. I’m Greek Orthodox and this year our Easter isn’t until May 5th as the Orthodox Church still uses the Julian calendar, I can’t answer why.

Wow, that's a big gap.  I was expecting it to be one week.

Roy

• Like 19

Happy Sunday and a Happy Easter to all who celebrate. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Beautiful sunny day today. High almost 60. Plans are to relax. Perhaps give Fancy a bath. Maybe do a little yard cleanup. 

Bon voyage to @sailingdutchy.

Bon Voyage Svg Cruise ship quote boat svg print decal shirt | Etsy

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Snapshots on Sunday: Happy Easter! | Pawsitively Pets

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

My rhodendrum bloomed after 5 years. It must be spring!

I love the spinach and egg bake and will give it a try tomorrow.

. I am learning to cook differently since DH was recently diagnosed with diabetes.

I got my dog sitter! At least for our short trip ( with the other millions of people!)  for the eclipse. She was starting to get worried that we had decided not to use her again. And all I had to do was get on her calendar. Fingers crossed for @kazu dog sitter success.

Prayers for all in need, and special thanks for all our blessings. I appreciate all the reminders on the Daily.

Debbie

IMG_5876.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Wow, that's a big gap.  I was expecting it to be one week.

Roy

Next year it’s the same day, like I said don’t ask why except for the Julian calendar.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann,Dixie, and Graham/Father David.  Happy Easter to all who celebrate today.  Bon Voyage @sailingdutchy.  Welcome home @RedneckBob,

I'll Celebrate the work of Caesar Chavez, haven't used a Bunsen Burner in decades, and not sure what a Medievalist is.  I like the King quote.

Have not been to today's port.I hadn't realized Motion Picture codes were that old.

I'll pass on the meal  My alternative is Chilled Apricot Soup with Snow Egg, Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad, and Mango Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Zaandam March 31, 2017:

dishes31.jpg

Off to church early as I am on the AV team and must be sure to get a parking spot.

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Headed to bed it’s 8:00 PM Sunday here, as we will be up early to fly to Bangkok and return to our ship Azamara Onward. On this Easter Day here we felt so Blessed at sunrise and throughout the day to be able to do this.

A few of our sweltering day sights. . Goodnight and Happy Easter everyone. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.3745a49be70b13d3cdfee8c4236a2792.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.05be1f9ae980501b4055ca6e8d5cae3d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4484c0c00476e8420e60953a47deb6cc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9e777e7f367a9fe8e6414ed315663f2c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.48bca673a3c2c3f9fd88e165ee25e1fa.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bd338ea6a59bb39356eebe6ee11a9522.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.05a6d9b1dfd85fc5cbc3afb3464300e4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.859146dc6dd9bc781d386572166139e1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2fc96539653efa55f2778139988bcb8d.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Happy Sunday morning Dailyites!  Happy Easter to those who celebrate. Computer says it's 55 and mostly cloudy.  My view from the desk, shows completely cloudy. So far on a day that should be filled with peace, Tigger attacked Furnando (who is not a fighter) and was thrown out on the porch with a mouth full of orange fur.  Poor Furnando. He ran down the hall to the bedroom and laid down in his safe place (near DH).

I saw the most interesting documentary on Netflix last night.  Live to be 100.  Now I am not sure I want to live to be 100, but I do want to live a healthier happier life, and this documentary explains how.  The teller of the information studied blue zones (areas in the world where people live longer healthier lives) and he took their philosophies and applied them to smaller living areas in the US.

And it worked!  While there are about 25 things to do, ( from all 5 blue zones) it basically

breaks down to 4 groups, your Outlook, Your connection to others, to eat wisely, and to figure out your purpose in Life. 

It was advised to find your "Right Tribe" .  And I thought about all that all of you have taught me over the last year and I think you are my "Right Tribe".   They mentioned the healthiest meal, called the 3 sisters, black beans, squash and corn.  For some reason when eaten together even the carbs are good. (they were not using butternut squash)  I won't babble more on the film, it is in 3 parts, but we stayed up until the program was done.  I will watch it again.  After April, to see if I can make some changes by following it for a month.

some_bunny_loves_you_hugging_easter_bunnies.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning Dailyites, 

Blessings to each of you and your family on this beautiful Easter morning. 

image.png.539f38b758d8f62de186706f1081460d.png

Yesterday we went for pedicures, lunch out, and the market since HEB is closed on Easter Sunday.

We are inviting friends over later for appetizers and drinks. Low key day.

Prayers lifted for Vanessa, Terry, Tana, Gerry, Maurice, and thier friend Gord, Sandi's family and friends. 

Vanessa, you can remove Allen and our neighbors from the prayer list. I'll let everyone know how the dermatologist appt goes Wednesday. 

I'll have to check yesterday's Daily to see if Graham posted Father David's Easter message. Graham,  please let him know how much we appreciate his sermons.

We have had hummingbirds at our feeder for at least the past week. I mark the date I first see them, and hang feeders 2 weeks before that.

Thank you to all who participate Daily. 

Happy bunsen burner and medieval day.

image.png.4fa16e43baae275dfb3b78ff02ca2b99.png

image.png.1bb2b01001431820f16d1689060fbe41.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 8