The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday May 23rd, 2024

@ger_77, I am so happy to hear that you and Maurice are doing well and the surgery is a success. And very glad your DSIL is bringing dinner.

Thank you for the birthday wishes for Tana. She is enjoying her day !

Thanks also to @Quartzsite Cruiser, @rafinmd, @dfish, @Haljo1935 and @marshhawk. We love the gnomes and the cats as well. Oops. Almost forgot @RMLincoln

The severe thunderstorm has begun and I have two things in the oven….hope the power  holds. It feels like a dark and stormy night at ten am.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise.  It's from my 2015 Prinsendam Kiel Canal cruise.  On May 23 we transited the Kiel Canal.

dusk0523.jpg

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Once again an interesting collection of days. DH likes it when I go to the east coast as he knows I'll return w/saltwater taffy for him. I support turtles 🐢 picked this up on a cruise - proceeds ($4) went to the turtle fund (actual name was long - I just know it works on nesting  safety, release and rehab of turtles).

20240523_083505.thumb.jpg.04247ed91e8a04744ea60d08c9fe0cb6.jpg

I would enjoy @dfish recipe #3 since it's w/o mushrooms, pass on the drink, yes to the wine, was in Quebec Oct 2022, but no pictures (they're on my computer and I'm on my phone).

Hope everyone stays safe from/all the bad weather.

This morning is PT eval and this afternoon is OT eval. The surgeon will not sign the papers until there is a date for the procedure and we're not there yet - still working on the frozen shoulder although he is very pleased w/the progress. He read the MRI report to confirm a couple tears in left knee & scheduled an appt in 2 weeks to discuss a treatment plan. So I'm sure PT is in my future for that.🤷‍♀️

Was 73° headed to 84° when I checked a few hours ago. Forecast says rain will roll in around 5; we have a flood watch again.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240523_065652.thumb.jpg.b45fa4191b58d3d443aa506fd01c9cb5.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 21

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is ........................... and World Turtle Day.....................................

Turtle jokes, uit 61% grote reductie - www.infoodfamily.com

Funny Turtles Talking on a Couch

Discover Cute Cartoon Turtles

turtle diary | Wrong Hands

The Teenage Mutant Hero Turtle Joke Book 🌭 - 1900HOTDOG

Pin by Tracy Flynn on Turtle Obsession | Turtle quotes, Tortoise turtle,  Turtle

Turtle Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

Oh, Snap! Check out these hilarious punchlines from Walt Handelsman's  latest Cartoon Caption Contest!! | Opinion | theadvocate.com

• Like 12
  • Haha 21

Good morning Dailyites from a very windy and rainy Georgetown. 

Happy Birthday to our favorite lady Tana! Wishing you a fun day. Enjoy your birthday dinner. Sounds yummy.

Lifting prayers to those on our cares list. Hoping Maurice has a good morning, as well as Vanessa's BFF. 

I never really chewed on taffy ever since I had all the sticky stuff on my teeth like glue. I would put a small piece in my mouth and let it melt. 

I enjoy Turtles, especially the chocolate covered ones with pecans and caramel...

Wishing all of you a blessed day. Be kind.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Happy Birthday to Tana!!!

Cool here this morning, but it will warm up into the mid-70's. Still dry and windy. Rains are staying north of us.

Little news from here. I have to leave shortly to pick up a friend being discharged from hospital. I didn't know she was in until she called me for ride. Need to run errands... pick up dog food and get people food. My fridge is really empty looking. The rest of the day will probably be devoted to cleaning out drawers since I am having trouble closing a few and I know there are things there that need to leave the premises via the dumpster. A friend of mine just wrote that he is sorted books and has 1,500 to get rid of. I am wishing him good luck with that and don't tell me any titles.

Off to the races. @kazuHope your foot is getting better and that Ivan has no adverse reaction to the attack. My dogs will get a chariot ride later today.

Susan

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, 

A quick note today as I have to be out of the house in less than an hour to head to BC for a day with my Mom. 

@smitty34877 Happy Birthday Tana!

@ger_77 Glad to hear all went well yesterday and, even better, dinner is being delivered today. 

Karen

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a beautiful sunshiny day here with temps in the mid 70's.  Sue was supposed to take River to her great grandmother's for the weekend, but River's father threw a fit and said he wouldn't come to the birthday party for the great grandmother if Sue and River were there, so they got uninvited.  Can't figure out what is wrong with some people, but Sue and River are better off without them, I guess.  The great grandma is very upset with them all over this.  

Yoga today!  I bought myself a new yoga mat so I don't have to use a communal one.  Little things can be so uplifting.

Happy Birthday to @smitty34877's Tana!  I hope Tana has a wonderful day!

HappyBirthday3.jpg.bb3175141878bf0a09a84929c36e0cac.jpg

Today's dinner sounds great to me!   I'd just leave out the rice and sub in riced cauliflower.  Easy Beef and Broccoli

Brocolimushroomandbeefstirfry1.thumb.jpg.d5a539a119a2b49817808f42e8339122.jpg

If you use the flank steak in this next recipe, be sure to slice it very thinly.  It can be pretty tough if you don't.  I always marinate a flank steak to help tenderize it.   Beef and Broccoli 2

broccolimushroomandbeefstirfry2.jpg.5c8c00d5cc84b021afb12f68487245a4.jpg

This last recipe doesn't have the heat that the second one does.  It also doesn't call for mushrooms, but they are easily added in.  I'm leaning towards this recipe.  Beef and Broccoli 3

broccolimushroomandbeefstirfry3.thumb.jpg.9bdb8953aafb4713cdaf2367d817d80a.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Before I come to dinner, light on the broccoli, please!

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

No friends-in-law, because no in-laws. My first thought of Taffy Day was not candy, but Wales ("Taffy was a Welshman"). In favor of world turtles and even domestic turtles.

Would make the meal if I had the ingredients. No on the drink. For yet another SB, let's consider Hazlitt's even though only the 2023 is in stock, "notes of lemongrass and flavors of papaya, grapefruit, and gooseberry that linger on the finish.This variety has done very well in the Finger Lakes.  It’s an engaging, energetic wine with great aromatics and palate-cleansing acidity."

Also today in history:The Defenestration of Prague occurred in response to religious persecution, helping set the stage for the Thirty Years' War.

shipmentofmusicians.jpg.53c409f64293ff8875403c31a16cbe7e.jpg

(When the captain of your cruise ship calls for a harbor pilot, hope that she or he speaks distinctly.)

• Like 12
  • Haha 9

Good morning and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Have never liked taffy, best friend in law????, but turtles - oh, how I love them.  Meal sounds good, no on the drink and wine, I probably passed Baie-Comeau on my way down the St Lawrence, and what a day in history.  Now, about the quote:  I had to do some research and after doing so, I think I agree - 

The phrase 'Life must be lived as play' by Plato is an influential concept in philosophy. It suggests that life should not be filled with hardship and seriousness, but rather, it must be enjoyed as if it were a gameThe saying carries with it the flavor of a modern therapeutic counsel to lighten up, to let the small things roll off, and to partake of life freely, enthusiastically, and enjoyably. 

ScreenShot2024-05-23at08_22_57.png.c4cdc8574df241d1896d78ece45d74d3.png

Beautiful day here with the windows and door open, ceiling fans a blazing.  High of maybe mid 90s.  So it will be a beautiful day for my outdoor project.  As I am sure most can tell, I am very independent; my philosophy is if you can do it then so can I.  I.E - I completely redid my bathroom in my old house - tearing up floors, walls, bathtub, toilet, redoing plumbing, etc - and redid it all by myself - well, except tearing out the bathtub as it was cast iron and I couldn't do that.  It took a year and only cost me ~$1000 vs ~$15k and I had the best time, albeit with cuts and bruises, though I came up against several obstacles along the way - such as the tub I bought was too high for the piping so I had to redo the faucet pipes.  I researched and got on contractor's forums, asked questions, etc.  So I love DYI.  

ScreenShot2024-05-23at08_23_14.png.ce46cbf5ce3cc5e011de3058b9495d89.png

That being said, I came across an obstacle installing my gate lock; the space to screw it in has a wood block piece on the gate in the way.  I have a Dewalt drill and I found a flexible right angle attachment that will give me a way to install it.  🙂 Plan on getting that today (and maybe a sander) and 🤞 it works. 

ScreenShot2024-05-23at08_23_32.png.70ece06c6e98c7cdeaf1469d649c34a4.png

Happy Birthday to @smitty34877 Tana, Bon Voyage to @MrSnuffleupagus, glad to hear all went well @ger_77 DH and @JazzyV BFF.  Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone!

ScreenShot2024-05-23at08_23_52.png.8409113053891aa346872a77138fd98c.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Good morning, the sun is shining and it's 70F here now!  The weekend forecast is iffy, but we shall see what comes.  

Thanks for all of the info today.  Also the port and garden pictures. I'll take the meal, but not so sure about Taffy, I've had more than enough dentist visits for a while!  I was at our school's closing service this morning.  They sure have more fun now than back in my school days!  

@ger_77Good to hear that surgery went well yesterday. 

@smitty34877Happy Birthday to Tana! 

Have a great day!  Karen

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the Day - Scott Base Sauvignon Blanc

Another Sauvignon Blanc?  OK, I'll propose another Arnot-Roberts.  This one sourced from a vineyard in the Santa Cruz Mountains--about a four hour drive south of the Yorkville Highlands region of the A-R SB that I posted here about two weeks ago,  

i4ygy7s32ll4jkjkj.jpg.5169e5e3cee37c575a838914d3e8f48f.jpg

4e9j5gdw5krhoioioioi.jpg.964e9ec3fb483d8dccb0a4fa1f8c15c5.jpg

I found notes for this wine that I posted on an online board.  Yes, I know that my notes are not the glittery prose that most wine reviewers perfect for their audience.

I am beginning to come to the opinion that you can include the word "lean" the characterization of any Arnot-Roberts wine. This wine is a crystal clear pale yellow in the glass. Some serious grassy aroma--no surprise for a California SB. Quite tart on the tongue--a strong suggestion of lime pith. Light and refreshing. As I said, lean.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and Happy Thursday. It’s a lovely sunny day. 

Terry @smitty34877 please forward this:

Happy Birthday Tana!  Enjoy your special day!  

@MrSnuffleupagus — Bon Voyage!

I was never fond of taffy. Turtles should be celebrated. The MOD sounds good and so does the wine. I’ve never been to Baie Comeau. 

Not sure where the day went yesterday but I did have DGD overnight. She left about noon. It used to be that she spent a lot of time with us but now that she is almost 17 only comes every other week or so, mostly for a good meal. 

Craig is still in the White Mountains and today they are driving to Pie Town, NM. Yes it’s really a place. There is a famous pie restaurant they have been wanting to visit for a while. Not my idea of fun, driving 2 hours just for pie, but they all enjoy driving. 

Pennie @Nickelpenny, I admire your fortitude and do it yourself-ness. I’ve had mornings when I wonder what day it is and worry if I’m supposed to be somewhere. If you would like the name of the doctor please email me and I’ll give you more info. 

I am thinking about making a spinach quiche today. I think I have all the ingredients. I’m sort of home bound, Craig doesn’t want me driving the old car anymore d/t all the repairs it needs. I could walk to the grocery store but don’t really want to. I think I’m also going to watch Call the Midwife today. I have saved it just for a day like today. 

Jacqui @kazu, I gasped when I read Ivan was attacked by another dog and shocked that the owner was so rude to you. I hope he is okay. Also, I’ve been praying about your foot and hope things improve. 

Gerry @ger_77,  great news about Maurice!  Also I’m not surprised about the antibiotics and dental work. Any amount of dental work “kicks” up all kinds of germs and can cause infections, especially dangerous for people with heart issues. 

Have a great day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Per ger_77's definition: Since BFF's best friend is me, am I my own best friend in law? Turtles are important and need to be protected. I'm not a taffy fan, even though growing up at the shore, there was always saltwater taffy at the boardwalk. Good quote. The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink and the wine. I haven't been to Baie-Comeau. A good day in history.

It's another warm and sunny day here, with some possible thunderstorms this afternoon. I guess I was exhausted after yesterday's exertions in caretaking. I ate dinner and had a Mike's hard lemonade with it. Then I got in the recliner to watch some shows on my DVR. The next thing I know I awaken and it's 11:30, so I go upstairs to bed. According to my Fitbit, I slept a total of 9h25m! I feel good after that. And talking to BFF, he fell asleep in his recliner after I left, until about 11:30 and then went to bed and slept another 5 hours. I'm going to just relax today if I can.

So, the 2026 NFL draft will be here! The city is very excited.

@smitty34877 Happy Birthday to Tana! So nice that the teenager's girlfriend will be giving Tana a preview of her prom dress. Prayers that medical research will come up with new treatments to help Tana. I hope your power stays on.

@MrSnuffleupagus Safe travels today.

@doobieb All these tornadoes are quite frightening! I'm glad you were safe. 

@cat shepard I hope Bindi passes her physical with flying colors.

@dfish So sad about the family dynamics. River is lucky to have you and Sue to give her some stability. Thanks for the recipes.

@superoma Your flowers are beautiful.

@aliaschief Thanks for sharing your visit to Las Palmas.

@RMLincoln Continued prayers for the success of DH's eye treatments. And so nice to hear that your girlfriend from NM will be closer now.

@ger_77 I am so glad to hear that Maurice's surgery went well. I hope all the tests go well today. Antibiotic prophylaxis for any dental procedure is pretty common after valve replacement. Nice of your DSIL to provide dinner tonight. I know that adrenaline crash!

@rafinmd I'm sorry to hear they want some more invasive tests to check out your heart; prayers they all go well.

@Haljo1935 Interesting that you need antibiotics because of the ankle hardware. I wonder if BFF will too? I'll have to ask at his 3 week check up. Lots on your plate with the shoulder and the knee issues.

@Overhead Fred Lovely photo.

@Copper10-8 Great memes!

@durangoscots Wow on your friend needing to get rid of 1500 books!

@luvteaching Have a great visit with your DM.

@Nickelpenny Thanks for the interpretation of today's quote. I'm impressed by your DYI. I used to do a lot, now at this age it's renovation by checkbook, LOL. The problem is finding competent and honest contractors any more. 

@bennybear Great turtle photos.

@Sharon in AZ I love Call The Midwife! Being late to it, I had to binge about 10 seasons to catch up last year. 

@kazu I hope you're getting the tests to finally figure out what can help your foot.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9

The nasty storm seems to have spent itself without any damage here. I was able to complete my cooking without incident.

Tana has really enjoyed all the festive wishes for her. Thanks so much to @Seasick Sailor, @durangoscots , @luvteaching, @Nickelpenny, @bennybear(excuse the multiple posts), @quilty964, @Sharon in AZ and @JazzyV
I think everyone here is amazing!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

@ger_77  Gerry, thank you so much for the update.  It was tough waiting for news, but I'm sure it was much harder on you yesterday.  But, Yay!

thinking-of-you-memes-24-720x540.jpg.301de129af226aaa9794a58e5942e029.jpg

2 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Before I come to dinner, light on the broccoli, please!

I usually double up on the broccoli and add in a few brussels sprouts for good measure.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites, and a very Happy Birthday to Tana!  Great news that Gerry's DH came through his surgery with flying colours.  Very encouraging.  Our youngest DD had a tiny red-eared slider in university, and of course it came home with her and was left with us.  Dork loved raw hamburger "worms" and grew rapidly into a Big Mac-sized turtle.  Eventually, DD took him to the National Zoo in Washington and hopefully he is still there with his friends.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, dfish said:

@ger_77  Gerry, thank you so much for the update.  It was tough waiting for news, but I'm sure it was much harder on you yesterday.  But, Yay!

thinking-of-you-memes-24-720x540.jpg.301de129af226aaa9794a58e5942e029.jpg

I usually double up on the broccoli and add in a few brussels sprouts for good measure.

Oh my, the Brussels sprouts is a deal buster! 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 9