The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 2nd, 2024

richwmn

Today is Made In The USA Day, National Wildland Firefighter Day, and World UFO Day

We live in a rainbow of chaos. - Paul Cezanne

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Fish with Peperonata
Drink of the Day - Volcano
Wine of the Day - Gotham Shiraz
Destination of the Day - Mombasa, Kenya

Today in History:
1679 Europeans first visit Minnesota and see headwaters of Mississippi in an expedition led by Daniel Greysolon de Du Luth

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 06:30 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Husavik, Iceland eta 07-03

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Oosterdam

Sarande, Albania 08:00 - 15:00

Rotterdam

Kristiansand, Norway 07:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 06:30 - 23:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 07-03

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Akureyri, Iceland, Lake Myvatn eta 07-03

0702Alaska.thumb.png.ada186baf8b45b74a9216c8c14087f64.png

0702Atlantic.thumb.png.1506c64b57332f81211867ec3fdf1537.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 29

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having leg/foot pain, seeing vascular surgeon today

Luvteaching’s DM having heart procedure today

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection

StLouisCruisers’ twin’s arm injury

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Seasick Sailor’s friend Belinda with a fall and shoulder injury

Ottahand7’s DB with operated knee red and swollen

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Mr. Boston’s condo sale day

RMLincoln’s DH’s satisfactory eye doctor visit

Nickelpenny’s incision coming along

Ger_77 in Calgary

Vict0riann doing well post-surgery

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for luvteaching (Westerdam July 7 to July 14) 7d Alaska Explorer

Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice, tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 16
  • Thanks 28

Good morning friends!  Zuiderdam left Alesund Monday evening and we are halfway to Akureyri, Iceland, beginning the long journey back to Boston.  Seas are a rockin’ today with winds at 17 mph, a temp of 46 and overcast skies.   Ship speed is 17 knots.   We turned our clocks back an hour last night so are only 5 hours ahead of Eastern time.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report as well as the maps.  I notice that Nieuw Statendam is heading to Husavik, Iceland today!  That sounds like a good place to visit and I’ve never been there before.  Lucky people on the NS.  Today we can recognize Made in the USA Day which I am for wholeheartedly.  Hurray for wildland firefighters, and we should all be on the lookout for UFO’s.  The quote is, let’s say…interesting.  No thank you to the meal, drink and wine.  Exploration of Minnesota and the headwaters of the Mississippi is something we didn’t hear much about in history class.  Not as exciting as some of the other explorers adventures maybe.  Daniel Greysolon de Du Luth was certainly extremely far inland!  Thank you to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports.

Prayers today for my DB and Alex’s twin boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine,  the hostages still held, and our troops on bases and ships in the region.  They’re on high alert right now due to a high terrorist threat.  Many prayers for our Dailyites here and our families/friends.   Tana, Chuck and Annie, Ann, Joy’s sister Bonnie, Elizabeth, Pennie, Jacqui, Roy, Debbie, Terri, Richard and hopefully I haven’t forgotten anyone.   Hoping for a great day for all celebrating special events and for the cruisers.  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the great list keeping.  Hoping someday soon you and your BFF are back to good health just like the “old days”.

The port of the day is Mombasa, Kenya.  Another new port so no links today!  No I haven’t been there before and probably won’t be going.  Please feel free to fill us in on Mombasa if you can and all photos are welcome!

I’m grateful @Harboursiders are back on the Zuiderdam and we ran into each other again last evening.  Hope you all have an enjoyable day!  Please stay safe and keep well.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

It’s 77 this AM heading up to 92 with PM showers.

Beryl is now a Cat. 5 hurricane with 160 MPH winds and heading towards Jamaica and then the Yucatán.

Good selection of days.

Strange quote.

I’d try the meal but with only fish that I like.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 good days.

Not sure about the quote.

Fish is usually nice.

Never been to today's port.

I had a blood test at the doctor's this morning.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who wants them and believe they will help.

I hope everyone is healthy and happy.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Volcano cocktail:

Ingredients:

6 oz. grapefruit juice
2 oz. fresh lime juice
3/4 oz. maple syrup
1/2 oz. simple syrup
3 oz. Demerara rum or
3 oz. golden rum
2 oz. jamaican rum or
2 oz. dark rum
1 oz. hawaiian rum or
1 oz. white rum
1/2 oz. Bacardi 151 rum (optional)

Directions:

Shake ingredients (except 151 rum) with ice, then strain into volcano bowl or cocktail glasses.
Pour 151 rum into volcano crater if using volcano bowl, and ignite just prior to serving.

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 6.46.14 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 20
  • Haha 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and clear this morning, should get to 25C (77F) this afternoon.  Bertie and I have already completed one walk today.  Not much on the agenda, I may go shopping for a cordless vacuum for the RV.  

Interesting days.  I salute all firefighters.

I don't know what to make of the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, the drink sounds dangerous, I hope the wine is fine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a terrific day.

• Like 33

21 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Volcano cocktail:

Ingredients:

6 oz. grapefruit juice
2 oz. fresh lime juice
3/4 oz. maple syrup
1/2 oz. simple syrup
3 oz. Demerara rum or
3 oz. golden rum
2 oz. jamaican rum or
2 oz. dark rum
1 oz. hawaiian rum or
1 oz. white rum

Directions:

Shake ingredients (except 151 rum) with ice, then strain into volcano bowl or cocktail glasses.
Pour 151 rum into volcano crater if using volcano bowl, and ignite just prior to serving.

Could we add more rum!

Years ago the Pinnacle Grille had on its menu for dessert, the Chocolate Volcano. Can you imagine having this drink with this dessert. I guarantee if you had this you will lose weight on that cruise! 😳

• Like 13
  • Haha 12

Thank you Rich for the Daily FR, thank you for your dedication. And thank you Vanessa for our lists - you are an amazing gift to us all!  

🫡 to all Wildland Firefighters!  May they all be safe. It is grueling work. June 30th was 11 yrs since the 19 Granite Mountain Hot Shots died in AZ. Such a deep loss that their family and friends will feel forever. 

Thank you Sandi for your daily reports, prayers and wishes. Hoping you continue to recover and your DH too. Enjoy your travels together!  

We looked at some cruise options again. Maybe a maybe for August/Sept?  Nothing really jumping out but with the eye report as stable this might be an ok window. But we have to see him again in early August to define a new plan, so that could change things up a bit…. I guess we’ll know when the timing is right!  

Thinking of all our Care list, Annie and Chuck, Terri and Jim, Terry and Tana, Karen and her DM, Denise and her dissertation, @Mr. Boston and their move, Jacqui and Ivan, Nancy and her DB, Joy and Bonnie and Melinda, Ann and Pat, Vanessa and BFF, Debbie and Sue and River, Gerry and Maurice, Roy, Graham’s tests (did mine yesterday- they had to request my orders but did the draw anyway🤞- will learn Friday!)… and all the healing happening and needed… blessings all!  
Blessings for our country, your country and the war zones. 
Smooth travels for all away, and a toast to all celebrating 🥂
Enjoy this gift of a day🌈 Life is Good!  Thanks for being here! 
Maureen

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  Up early this morning for another trip to the vets, this time for Munchkin.  It's time to let her know she has an indoor home, that she will be taken care of.  I think that she just wants to be rid of the kittens, they are still trying to nurse at 10 weeks.  But the vet sent DH an email (which of course is sent to me) that we cannot let her "piddle" for at least an hour before her appointment.  Which means that I had to get up early,  feed everyone, and then at 8:30 put her in the carrier, and poor thing, she has to stay in there for an hour.  And they are never on time for our appointments.  

Yesterday was a bad day at the docs for DH.  Whether is is because of all the meds he is on, or he has Alzheimer's,(which runs in his family) he has a hard time understanding the severity of his current cancer condition. I did ask the doc to see if he could set up a test for Alzheimer's, which he did, they cant test DH until June of 25.  Yes, a year away.  So I will contact the neurologist I saw about the nerves in my right arm, and see if he can do the tests. @dfish sometimes I just can't go with the flow.

My boss, who never wants to be bothered with questions, saw one of my comments on page 1, and asked me why I made the comment, that I was never allowed to put CC info on the page.

(it was please do not charge card ending with XXXX) And for two hours he kept sending me texts on never do that again, I left the phone at home and DH and I went out to dinner.  I worked 5 hours, had 5 sales and sold over 5 thousand dollars in tickets, some times, i really don't feel appreciated in this job. 

So overall yesterday sucked.  Can I say that?  

Its 76 degrees, cloudy and for the next 5 days we are expecting 50% chance of showers.  Depends where you are that you may get that 50%, but I'll go with it.  Our front yard looks like sand, the back patio is covered in crispy pointy Holly leaves, and the only part of the yard that looks good, is the area on the back top of the yard, where the wild ones live.  Not a place I go often after I was attacked by a yellow jacket home a year after we moved in.

5b1156c360341-funny-cat-comics-scott-met

Funny-have-a-nice-day-meme.jpg

796811676-GoodMorningGOODMORNING.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Good morning. Up early and busy doing laundry, washing floors and erasing my bachelor pad. Why? The Colonel is coming home and I need to be ready for a white glove inspection. 😁 It will be great having her back and she has been missed. I’m making a Southwest shrimp salad with grilled corn kernels that always hits the spot.

I have managed to keep the house pretty tidy so no monumental task needed.

Keeping a close watch on Beryl as it destroys islands in its path. Our time share in Cancun may feel its effects. Of course living in the Gulf states one never knows. Time to be ready as it Tis the season. Have a great day and I do pray those of you with ailments will have quick recovery and healing. Thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! It is a bit warmer than the past few days. And the biting bugs are back. Yesterday was lovely. Strong onshore breezes really helped manage the heat. T-storms are predicted for this afternoon. I am very excited. The dwarf bird of paradise that I planted last year has a blossom! Its first! And I captured a friendly dragonfly attempting to enjoy its nectars!

IMG_4758.jpeg.e7f9fe4061725fc4351438c2281beed7.jpeg

Sorry for the fuzziness, I was juggling Bindi’s leash, her waste bag and the phone. 

Vanessa, thank you for making sure we all know what is going on with each other. 

Gym, Bindi walks, some prep for the 4th, chores & pool time. 

IMG_3085.jpeg.bb82d68a8c13987213b203f4d4670917.jpeg

IMG_3086.jpeg.b4327c213160f9594f5e7eadcdc63575.jpeg

IMG_3087.jpeg.534af22fcbb4e73dfe917b705b9775ac.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Terry, hoping your culinary skills are able to tempt Tana. Praying that something is discovered to help her. 

@Vict0riann Ann you astound me. Attitude can be so much of the healing process, so I pray that the rest of the treatment goes smoothly. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @Mr. Boston enjoy Maine!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Gotham Shiraz

When I saw Gotham, I immediately thought of New York. Wrong. This is an Australian vintner whose name pays homage to Gotham, England. Widely available & priced to try. Consumers rate it between 3.3 & 4. Online prices start at $7.00.

Distributor notes

This Shiraz is a medium bodied wine that displays flavours of ripe plum and vanilla with a subtle savoury finish. With lifted floral aromas and a smooth finish, this elegant wine will complement an array of foods. 

Technical:

Wine Men of Gotham is the fully nurtured baby of Gotham. The Wine Men of Gotham is homage to the Wise Men of Gotham; an allusion to the reputed simplicity of the villagers of Gotham, England. If tradition is to be believed, the Gothamites were not so very simple but simply wise enough to play the fool; in a variety of ways they merely acted silly to gain their ends. Wine Men of Gotham reflects the sincerity of the lovable fools of Gotham.

After a variable growing period, ideal weather conditions prevailed at the end of vintage - helping to produce wine of aromatic intensity, varietal definition, and flavour.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 3

Good morning. It is a nice day today with sunshine and lower humidity only going to 80.

i am ready to hitch a ride on a UFO for many reasons. These are good days to celebrate and I can’t quite get the quote. Perhaps more coffee is required.Grilled fish for dinner would be nice but I lack enthusiasm to travel to the fish store.

My DSIL is leaving on July  4 for a nine day cruise with her family out of Miami. The youngest traveler just turned three(Camilla) and there will be a total of nine. I will have to check the itinerary but I sure would not want to be on a cruise ship with a storm of Beryls magnitude.Scary stuff.

I am thinking this morning about Annie and Chuck as well as all our other Dailyites having issues. Take care everyone.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Happy Tuesday. Thanks for the daily and Fleet reports. 

Summer is returning. After a nice day yesterday with a cool breeze, temps are going back up to the 80s. I woke this morning with my sinuses acting up. 

Basic workday today. Nothing special. 99 days until my cruise, but who's counting. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

tuesday memes - Google Search | So random | Cats, Animals, Kittens cutest

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

IT is a little nippy out this morning in mid-MIchigan, but we are promised a beautiful day full of sunshine and moderate temperatures.  Sue threatened to stay up last night and stand guard over her hostas as there is a mother deer and her fawn living in the area.  We saw them a lot yesterday in the yard.  We also have a mother turkey and her 13 babies.  Add that to the numerous rabbits, chipmunks, and squirrels in the yard and it is a wonder we have any foliage.  

Today is yoga day followed by pedicures for me, Sue, and DS Mary Jo.  I haven't decided what color to do my toes but am leaning towards firecracker red for the 4th of July. We shall see!

Today's meal is one I would love.  I think you could use any firm white fish you like.  It needs to be firm enough to stand up to the grill.  The peperonata can be prepared the day before, if you wish.  Grilled Fish

grilledfishwithpeperonata1.thumb.jpg.3eca2974251241cf4c866cffacf445f2.jpg

This one leaves out the fennel, but does have a nice pepper medley.  Fish and Peperonata

grilledfishwithpeperonata2.jpeg.d47a95fa911d9f2dd9c8117da79f7e12.jpeg

I think I like the seasonings in this one the best.  Grilled Fish and Peperonata

grilledfishwithpeperonata3.thumb.jpg.8a5d592420badd61fbdfbc305f6831ca.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 15

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily and Maps Rich.  Wildland firefighters are true heroes and thanks for recognizing the 19 who died in Arizona @RMLincoln.   Made in the USA is good and I am glad they are striving to get more essential chips made here.  UFOs should have their day too. Rubik's Cube 50th anniversary today.   Good quote by Cezanne.   Mombasa would be a place I would like to visit to I look forward the photos of the port.  I will pass on all three comestibles, the Volcano wouldn't be served on a BHB due to the fire component.  Thanks for researching these for us each day.  

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.  @marshhawk Annie I wish your DHs doctor would have taken your request seriously and at least gave you a referral to a neurologist for Chuck.  I am glad you had a great evening of sales but it sounds like your boss is a real jerk!  Prayers for Tana, Chuck, @Seasick Sailor your DS Bonnie, Jacqui and Terri and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  @RMLincoln I was happy to read that your DHs eye visit was positive and you are considering a late summer cruise.   @Mr. Boston congratulations on the sale of your Boston home and well wishes in your move to beautiful Maine.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the hostages and the innocents in Gaza.

Our dinner last night was fun with lots of good food and conversation.  My DN and the rest from next door are picking us up and we are heading into town for Taco Tuesday at our local tavern.  A good way to break up today as it is very dark and rainy right now.   Have a lovely day!  Nancy

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 4

@ottahand7 doc did take my request seriously, it's the first day the neurologist had, June '25.

There are two major medical groups in Atlanta, Emory, and Northside.  Because of location we prefer Emory, so the oncologist (who is also Dh's primary at this time) who works in the Northside group, knows that DH wants something closer to home , hence Emory.  Emory doesn't have a good neurologist available until June of 25.  (good in his opinion) 

To catch anyone up, DH has done chemo, an experimental pill drug, he was on it for a long time, and no one wants him back on it. Or on chemo at all.  The cancer stopped growing, and then it came back-He did radiation, and graduated, no sign of cancer, but the radiation destroyed the jaw bone, and it is breaking up and coming through his gums.  Hence the intense pain,  but now it has become very aggressive, he is on immunotherapy which has stopped it expanding to his brain (they think) but it is tearing up the weakened skin on his face, and he is getting holes in his face. MRI mid July will tell all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 29

@dfishI got all excited about blue cheese coleslaw, but didnt really read the directions, so I bought some Marie's blue cheese and a bag of coleslaw,  I will attempt a small amount with some crock pot pork bbq🐷 tonight, and let you know if my mistake worked, at all.  If not, the Marie's  is excellent on my burger on the 4th.😸

• Like 26

Thank you and Happy Today to each of us!!!

The Day Celebrations are all GREAT!!  And the food and beverage choices as well!!!  Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Volcano cocktail:

Ingredients:

6 oz. grapefruit juice
2 oz. fresh lime juice
3/4 oz. maple syrup
1/2 oz. simple syrup
3 oz. Demerara rum or
3 oz. golden rum
2 oz. jamaican rum or
2 oz. dark rum
1 oz. hawaiian rum or
1 oz. white rum

Directions:

That is a boat-load of rum!!!  SIX and a half jiggers of RUM!!  OH MY!!!  I see why they ignite it before serving!!  Burn off some of the intoxication!!!  I'd try this!!!

44 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  Up early this morning for another trip to the vets, this time for Munchkin.  It's time to let her know she has an indoor home, that she will be taken care of.  I think that she just wants to be rid of the kittens, they are still trying to nurse at 10 weeks.  But the vet sent DH an email (which of course is sent to me) that we cannot let her "piddle" for at least an hour before her appointment.  Which means that I had to get up early,  feed everyone, and then at 8:30 put her in the carrier, and poor thing, she has to stay in there for an hour.  And they are never on time for our appointments.  

Yesterday was a bad day at the docs for DH.  Whether is is because of all the meds he is on, or he has Alzheimer's,(which runs in his family) he has a hard time understanding the severity of his current cancer condition. I did ask the doc to see if he could set up a test for Alzheimer's, which he did, they cant test DH until June of 25.  Yes, a year away.  So I will contact the neurologist I saw about the nerves in my right arm, and see if he can do the tests. @dfish sometimes I just can't go with the flow.

My boss, who never wants to be bothered with questions, saw one of my comments on page 1, and asked me why I made the comment, that I was never allowed to put CC info on the page.

(it was please do not charge card ending with XXXX) And for two hours he kept sending me texts on never do that again, I left the phone at home and DH and I went out to dinner.  I worked 5 hours, had 5 sales and sold over 5 thousand dollars in tickets, some times, i really don't feel appreciated in this job. 

So overall yesterday sucked.  Can I say that?  

Its 76 degrees, cloudy and for the next 5 days we are expecting 50% chance of showers.  Depends where you are that you may get that 50%, but I'll go with it.  Our front yard looks like sand, the back patio is covered in crispy pointy Holly leaves, and the only part of the yard that looks good, is the area on the back top of the yard, where the wild ones live.  Not a place I go often after I was attacked by a yellow jacket home a year after we moved in.

5b1156c360341-funny-cat-comics-scott-met

Funny-have-a-nice-day-meme.jpg

796811676-GoodMorningGOODMORNING.jpg

First...  I hate that you have to crate your baby -- even just for an hour with things going on around them!!  But...  there are good reasons we just can't explain to our fur-babies!!!

Waiting a day, much less a year, for any diagnosis of something we're worried about is TERRIBLE!!  I'm so sorry this is happening to you!

And...  with your boss...  OH MY!!  

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1