The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 16th, 2024

Today is National Atomic Veteran's Day, National Personal Chef's Day, and World Snake Day

The greatest use of a life is to spend it on something that will outlast it. - William James

Meal Suggestion for today - Mom's Minestrone
Drink of the Day - Rye and Ginger
Wine of the Day - Barefoot On Tap Pinot Grigio
Destination of the Day - Nuku alofa, Tonga

Today in History:
1519 Public debate between Martin Luther and theologian Johann Eck at Pleissenburg Castle in Liepzig, during which Luther denies the divine right of the Pope

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 06:30 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

Leith-Edinburgh, Newhaven-Rosyth-Queensferry, Scotland 10:00 - ovnt

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0830-1830

Oosterdam

Marseille, France Riviera 09:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Lerwick, Mainland Shetland, Scotland eta 07-17

Volendam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 12:30 - 21:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 07-17

Zuiderdam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 17:00

0716Alaska.thumb.png.5b92f5ffb05c7c54ff13f0d3ad2d1fee.png

0716Atlantic.thumb.png.39e32ef17f3b0233348dcf27ec655361.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 29

Good morning friends!  Weather this morning is mixed clouds and blue sky.  Temp is currently 71F.  We are heading into Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island where we will have mostly cloudy skies today and 83F.  What a change from last week!  The time on the ship is only one hour ahead of Eastern Time.  Friday we’ll be in Bar Harbor, Maine so will finally back on U.S. Eastern Time again.  Last night we had our final Pinnacle Grill dinner and I’m still full!  Service was unfortunately extremely slow though the food was still very good.  Personally I’d rather have lunch than dinner there!

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the location maps.  Interesting days today, but I’ll avoid snakes whenever possible.  My personal chef can’t wait to get back to his duties in our kitchen.  He’s been off work long enough.  I like the quote today.  Mom’s Minestrone soup sounds great.  No to the Rye and Ginger but I’d try the Pinot Grigio.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers for my DB, twin sister, Alex/Jordan’s twins who have a birthday coming up, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, our troops in harm’s way, and our friends here on the Daily.  Jacqui @kazu, Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk, Tana, Terri @Cruzin Terri and Jim, Richard and Maureen @RMLincoln.   Also for the family of the killed Saturday at the rally.  He is my DS’s age, similar build, look and shaved head.  It hits home when you think something could happen to your own loved one just out having a nice day.  God bless that family and our Country.  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the lists again today.

Our port is Nuku’ alofa, Tonga.  We’ve already had it four times so I’ll be posting all those links next.  No, I haven’t been to Nuku’alofa, Tonga before.  Here are the links for Dec. 8, 2021, Aug. 23, 2022, Dec. 31 2022 and Jan. 17, 2023. 

Annie @marshhawk great sale yesterday and sorry Chuck @catmando is having some problems.  Good for you listening to the doctor’s instructions.   Eva @superoma what a bummer about the colds you and DH caught.  I’m sorry you had to cut your getaway short.  Ann @Vict0riann sending healing thoughts to your DD as she deals with Covid this week.  Good thing she took that test, I guess.  Wouldn’t want to spread it all over work.  Jacqui @kazu hoping all goes well today for Ivan.

Hoping everyone stays safe and keeps well!  Have a great day!

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

79 this AM with a high of 92 and afternoon showers.

As a veteran I had to look up Atomic Veterans Day, I could do without snakes, my personal chef is my DW of 55 years who is a fabulous cook.

Pretty good quote

I love minestrone soup.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Kazu’s Ivan having surgery today

Superoma and her DH having bad colds

Kazu having leg/foot pain, to have stents placed, planning a move

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, in pain, and Covid aftereffects

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck unable to get stents unclogged, needs surgery

Vict0riann’s DD having Covid

Superoma and DH with colds, had to cancel their trip

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

StLouisCruisers’ DGS Ren suffering a collarbone fx during a soccer game

Haljo1935 with a frozen shoulder and kidney stones

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Norseh2o (Katherine & Bob)!

Aliaschief’s family vacation at St. George Island

Lady Hudson booking an October cruise

TiogaCruiser’s impressive shed that she built

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Cunnorl (Zuiderdam July 20 to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings

tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage, StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 23
  • Thanks 20

Good morning from North East England where it is 60°F and partly sunny.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

A couple of important days.

An uncle of mine took part in operation Grapple on Christmas island along with many British soldiers in 1957.

Minestrone soup is nice.

Never been to today's port.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Screenshot_20240716_113432.jpg

Screenshot_20240716_113359.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

Rye and Ginger cocktail:

Walk into any bar in Canada and order a “rye and ginger” and the bartender, without even blinking, will have one on the bar lickity-split. In parts of the US, it would be a “Whiskey & Ginger Ale”. The term “rye”, in Canada, simply means any Canadian Whisky, more on the confusion later. The familiarity with the “rye and ginger” order even flows into many of the US states. If you put the politics aside for a moment, we should realize that whisky and ginger ale is a great combination, possibly even better than the, dare I say, Dark ’n Stormy.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. Rye Whiskey
3 oz. Ginger Ale
3 Dashes Orange Bitters (optional)
Lime Garnish

Directions:

Add ice to a highball glass (or rocks)
Pour in 3 oz of ginger ale
Add the whisky and bitters
Top off with the remaining in ginger ale
Garnish with a lime

Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 6.56.48 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 20

Good morning everyone from a beautiful but soon to be hot Wells, ME.  We have three interesting days to recognize although I’ll just recognize small snakes, not large ones.

I like the quote, it’s a challenge for each of us to do something that will outlast us.

I’ll say yes to the meal and drink suggestions, I love a good minestrone.

I haven’t been to the port, yet.

Prayers for those on our prayer list and for those who need them.  Good luck to @kazu’s Ivan today.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Happy Tuesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Another hot one. Going up to 96 today. I am over summer now. Nothing much planned except the usual work today. 85 days until my cruise. But who's counting? 

Bon voyage @Norseh2o

Crisp Mini on Embarking/Disembarking in DzC | Frontline Gaming

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

101 Funny Tuesday Memes When You're Happy You Survived a Workday

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning, everyone!  

We had some rain overnight, but the forecast says today will be partly sunny and 85.  Pollen index is high with the main culprit being weed pollen.  I can tell already!   I have yoga this morning and then a Zoom meeting at 11.  After that I have to hit the grocery store because I am entertaining former classmates for lunch tomorrow.  I'm doing burgers and dogs and they will bring side dishes and dessert.  

We had the cod with herbed mayonnaise last night and it was very good.  I'd like to try it with a fish that holds together so if I can find some halibut, we might have that.  I bet the herbed mayo would go well on salmon, too!  

Soup is not calling my name today.  After the recent heat it is the last thing I want.  So, tuck this recipe away for fall.  This first recipe is rather high in carbs, so I would pass on it.  Or leave out half the ingredients.   Mom's Minestrone 1

momsminestrone.jpg.062d956a8ab4b94d6fb6710c3abf601c.jpg

This next one is lower in carbs, probably due to the lack of potato and pasta. This looks more like a traditional minestrone.  The first recipe is more like a stew.   Mom's Minestrone 2

momsminestrone2.thumb.jpeg.09d1ff8f341fac653710038194684b43.jpeg

I couldn't pass up this recipe because it has butternut squash in it!  Just when you thought you were safe!  Mom's Minestrone 3

momsminestrone3.jpg.263045e091c42ffdd0f2df48fa0256ec.jpg

Here's hoping one of these soups makes it on the table next fall when we are lamenting the loss of summer's warmth.  

@Denise T  I am enjoying your countdown to your cruise.  38 days until mine!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 17
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another lovely morning here! Yesterday was picture perfect until late afternoon. Though I got a tiny bit of rain, the storms rumbled around me for hours. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Sounds as if BFF is progressing, maybe not fast enough for him, though. 

Gym, Bindi walks, a RAPID neurofascial reset massage for my poor left deltoid - no clue how I aggravated an old strain. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Chores & pool time will wrap up the day. 

@cunnorl Charlene, the Daytona Aquarium & Rainforest Adventure (this part is not open yet) was great. Not huge like, New England, Baltimore & Atlanta, but very well done. Kids of all ages enjoyed trying to spot well-camouflaged critters. And I fed the manta rays. An amazing sensation. I actually fed them twice the amount, since my friend could not stand touching raw fish. Even the gift shop was impressive. I usually avoid them like the plague, but this one was fun.

Admission is a bit expensive, but if they don’t increase the price when the next part opens - it will be well worth it. Daytona has needed something like this for a long time. I hope it succeeds. 

IMG_3165.jpeg.1f8c20ddf405a199b1b901b54f1d0b5b.jpeg

IMG_3163.jpeg.7a9b57a85bff339493685be372079f86.jpeg

IMG_3164.jpeg.9b94968429d420809a08cba5eacc8d54.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, praying that you have a good day and eat! Praying for all the caregivers. May you never lose hope or strength. And please take care of yourselves!

Ivan, praying all goes well at the vet’s. Take super care of Jacqui for us. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Barefoot On Tap Pinot Grigio

This boxed PG would have been a great white wine for Gerry’s Summerfest.  Or anyone’s Summer day. A little lighter alcohol - 12% alcohol doesn’t make it less refreshing. Easy to find and reasonably priced - especially for its size. Online distributor prices start at $18.99 for a 3 liter bottle 

Distributor notes

BTI89 PTS. / BEVERAGE TESTING INSTITUTE (March 15, 2010)

Aromas of dried jasmine, bergamot cookie, and peach sorbet are attractive and follow through on a silky entry to a dry-yet-fruity light-to-medium body with very good balance and acidity and a persistent, chalk, lemongrass, and white nut accented fade. A tasty crowd pleaser. 

WE85 PTS. / WINE ENTHUSIAST (12/31/2013)

The Pinot Grigio brings its usual green apple, lemon curd, peach and mineral flavors to this zesty sparkling wine. It straddles the delicate border between dry and off-dry, and is easy to drink with almost anything.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report,

Overcast and warm.  Oh, I hear thunder.  Thunderstorms in the forecast for this morning.  I hope not too much rain, there's already a lot of mud around.

Three interesting days to observe.  Thanks to those who researched nuclear weapons.  I know snakes are important but I don't want them near me.  No personal chefs in this house.

Good quote.

The meal sounds good, I'll save the recipes until fall.  My late father was a rye and ginger man.   I'll take the wine instead.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a great day.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Having our coffee outside overlooking the Gulf. Priceless. Not much planned other than enjoying the view, pool and of course granddaughters. Two out of the three still sleeping. I believe we wore them out yesterday or is it us who were worn out?

We have some rain East of us but it looks like it will miss us. It is hot so won’t be long for a swim.

Thanks for your post and have a great day. We are. Bruce

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Very hot yesterday followed by today. We were about 96 degrees yesterday and over the mountain were over 100. Today is forecast to be the same. For some strange reason our allergies seem to be bothering us. I wonder if it is dust because of being so dry?

We changed our plans yesterday for our April-May cruises. Instead of  cruising from Southampton then down to the Mediterranean, we are trying Celebrity for the Transatlantic. Upon arrival in Barcelona, we just change piers for a seven night MSC cruise which ends in Alicante. Stay there for a few days and back to Barcelona to board the Oosterdam for a 10 day cruise that includes an overnite in Malta. Malta has been a bucket list destination for me. After that use either a ferry or train to head for Italy for 1-1 1/2 weeks.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich and thanks to the F & B team.

Thank you so much Vanessa for putting Ivan on the Care list especially since he’s just a dog.  And thanks everyone for the good wishes..  Ivan is at the vets.  I have to say - what a GOOD dog.

He didn’t argue long about no food, got in the car sans treat and on the scale sans treat.  After scrounging for food for a few minutes and looking at me perplexed and getting pats instead, he accepted his lot in life and was good until it was time to go.  Hopefully all goes well.  I always worry about surgery for an older dog but he is in fantastic shape (he no longer looks or acts his age)  and both vets thought he should do well 🙏 

Quick post as I have to leave for my doctor’s appointment for the new meds.  I hobbled out to the garden yesterday so I will share a couple of pics.

IMG_3100.thumb.jpeg.669c840fcb2c172aa4b5663b92cc7e91.jpeg

IMG_3095.thumb.jpeg.ab33dba65701efcf57231b63ea0ae392.jpeg

Prayers all who need them - on the Care list and not on.

• Like 39
  • Thanks 10

Good hot and humid and sunny morning.Today is supposed to be the worst of the heat with storms coming tomorrow. 
We have a HAL double header on Smithsonian channel East tonight. Nieuw Statendam and then KDAM  8 and 9 are the times. 
Stay cool and hydrated. Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2