Posted (edited)

Today is One Voice Day, Aunts and Uncles Day, and Bagelfest Day

We read to know we're not alone.--William Nicholson, Shadowlands

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Steak with Chimichurri
Drink of the Day - Brown Derby
Wine of the Day - Tablelands Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Tunis, La Goulette, Tunisia

Today in History:
1803 The Surrey Iron Railway, arguably the world's first public railway, opens in south London
1990 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 is signed into law

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 07-27

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Statendam

Reykjavik, Iceland 0700-2000

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Oosterdam

Messina, Italy

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland eta 07-27

Volendam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Paamiut, Greenland eta 07-27

0726World.thumb.jpg.afa2e4142f8b14cbe237c75bbe8e2172.jpg

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 25

Today’s Care List:

Kazu recovering from stents placed for leg/foot pain

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck unable to get stents unclogged, needs surgery

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Haljo1935 with a frozen shoulder and kidney stones

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s identical twins born 7/23!

Rafinmd’s improved PSA level

RMLincoln’s DH post glaucoma surgery, good eye pressures this week

Dfish’s successful nerve ablation

Cruzin Terri’s arm feeling better

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam July 27 to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland

Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary

• Like 19
  • Thanks 20

Good morning friends!  We are having another day of 70F at dawn, followed by a high temp of 87 and cloudy.  Only change is it’s not supposed to rain.  Thank goodness!  We’ve had enough this week.  Yesterday’s rain gauge reading was 8/10ths of an inch.  As soon as the gauge was emptied at 5 pm it started raining heavily again.  We could use some time to dry out a bit.  The humidity is so high I can’t get outside to do some trimming, weeding and cleaning up around the outside of the house. 

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily as well as the location maps.  Armed Forces Unification Day sounds like a good way to honor all our forces at one time.  Having just recognized cousins, today we can honor our aunts and uncles.  We have very few left and they are both in their late 90’s.  I guess bagels deserve a day of their own.  I’m not connecting with the quote of the day.  No thanks to the menu suggestion or cocktail but yes, I’d try the Sauvignon Blanc.  Thank you F&B ladies, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports.

Prayers for our Care list people including their ailing relatives.  Tana, Chuck @catmando and Annie @marshhawk, Jacqui @kazu, Joy’s @Seasick SailorDS Bonnie, Nancy’s @ottahand7 DB, Roy @rafinmd, Terri @Cruzin Terri, Ann @Vict0riann and Elizabeth @Haljo1935 to name a few.  Also for my DB with IPF and twin sister awaiting shoulder replacement surgery, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the remaining hostages, and our men and women in uniform overseas. As for the celebration of special events let me start with happy birthday wishes to DGD Morgan who turns 22 today.  Congrats to her and all here celebrating and cruising.  Thank you once again Vanessa @JazzyV!

The port today is Tunis, La Goulette, Tunisia.  It’s been quite popular here having seen it four times before.  Oct. 25, 2021, July 11, 2022, May 16, 2023 and Jan.7, 2024.  I haven’t been there yet but do have it on an upcoming itinerary.  Maybe I should go back and read up on it and check out some photos posted previously.  Here are the links for your convenience in retrieving your photos.

Hoping everyone enjoys this final Friday in July.  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

The classic Brown Derby cocktail features bourbon, grapefruit juice and honey syrup. That trio of simple ingredients belies the complex taste of the drink, in which honey bridges the gap between tart citrus and spicy bourbon to produce an intricate combination that has stood the test of time.

According to the 2002 book The Craft of the Cocktail by bartending legend Dale DeGroff, the Brown Derby was created in the 1930s at the Vendôme Club in Los Angeles, and named for the hat-shaped diner that was located nearby. However, the cocktail’s origin gets a bit murky from there.

Ingredients

2 oz. bourbon
1 oz. grapefruit juice
½ oz. rich honey syrup (3:1)
Tools:shaker, strainer
Glass:cocktail
Preparation
Shake ingredients with ice until chilled, then strain into a chilled glass.

Screenshot 2024-07-26 at 6.36.11 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 20

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the TGIF FR&D   Three great days to celebrate today although I prefer an English Muffin to a Bagel.    Special prayers for  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.

I like the quote.

I have not been to Tunisia at all

Two great days in British and American history...

I think today’s meal may have been one of my alternatives at times..  My alternative is Mixed Italian Garden and Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb with Mint Basel Pesto and Potatoes Gratin, as served on MS Prinsendam July 26, 2011..

I expect my Friday errands will be on the early side as usual..

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Dailys and for all the fun things to think about!!!

I have one voice!  And I know how to use it!!!  I have no aunts or uncles left -- but I am an auntie and great-auntie!  And, I'm heading to a Bagel-fest celebration at the Center today!!!

I know the Chimichurri is the reason for the meal suggestion...  but, I'll take mine on the side!  

Have a wonderful day...

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is sunny and 62°F.

I am an uncle.

Today's food and wine sounds good.

We have visited today's port on a cruise in 2004.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a happy day.

Screenshot_20240726_115605.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool, only 9C (48F) this morning.  Brrrr  It's supposed to warm up to a lovely 26C (79F) this afternoon.  

Three good days to celebrate.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to recipes.  The cocktail sounds interesting, maybe I'll try one on our next cruise.  I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Tunis is a port on our next cruise.

Good days in history.

Prayers for so many.  The pictures from Jasper are heartbreaking.  

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich and thanks to our F & B team.

Cheers to the Armed Forces and all the wonderful Autns and uncles out there.  My sweet ones have all left this earth - RIP.  That quote is so true and OMG on the meal.  DD DH would be salivating and yes, I used to make it for him.  he wine sounds very tempting 😘 

Staging is work but I think it’s do-able.  No furniture needs to go as a) we have nice furniture and b) I already donated a bunch and  made space. I have a few more things to give away right now and the rest of the stuff in th basement is going in a dumpster.  I feel badly but I have spent a year and a half donating and I need to get it finished.  I’m taking the easy way out for what’s left.

IMG_2587.jpeg.801d38672603d15f7a9aee1fdf2f9a6c.jpeg

legs will just have to put up with it.  Move, rest, move rest.  LOL.  Very frustrating and takes longer to do things.  I started some gentle physio last night in the hopes that will help as they heal.  Days are very busy with all the efforts.  Hopefully it will be worthwhile.  going to try to drive today - I need some basic food and it can’t be put off any longer.  

IMG_2583.jpeg.267125ed4792042af9db63f87e2b4805.jpeg

I confess the magnanimity of what I was doing hit me last night. Well, I’ve already waded into the water so I might as well get right in.

IMG_2585.thumb.gif.45371d4dcb07b8ea3d84f9673fcfb682.gif

Prayers for those on the Care list & all those who need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 42
  • Thanks 5

Happy Friday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Sunny today. Should be around 83. Watched the deer this morning. I have a massage scheduled for today and then it is back to grading assignments, a never-ending task. Officially 75 days until cruise day. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Friday | Funny animals, Funny animal pictures, International cat day

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good rainy morning from the Zuiderdam

Today is a much needed sea day after 3 port days. We were in Red Bay yesterday . Great little place. Only 167 people live there. I walked all over, very hilly and windy. Tendering went very well. Didn’t wait at all! 
  We will find out at noon whether we can get into Greenland tomorrow. Here’s hoping!!!

TheADA is  a great law. Things are improving but still have a way to go in some areas. Sometimes it is the little things that make a difference. 
   @Horizon chaser 1957have a wonderful cruise! 
     Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! It is already humid out. Hope it brings some rain my way. Lots of storms lately, but none dropping much rain around me. A very hazy morning. No pretty colors today. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying that you feel great - soon. 

Gym, Bindi walks, prep for tomorrow, chores, pool time. 

IMG_2378.jpeg.e7925953b641ecf68c5f3b55892a2f7e.jpeg

IMG_2135.jpeg.75f8b23eccf95758b8da12be241b7c9a.jpeg

IMG_3178.jpeg.7acbdf6409bf6c9e699c204b86ed8451.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, I was sorry to read that you and Terry had a tough night on Wednesday.  You are both such amazing women! I pray that you have a great day today & enjoy some meals. 
Chuck, praying that you have a great day, enjoy your food & listen to Annie. 

Prayers for all the caregivers. May they have the strength needed and may they take great care of themselves. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Tablelands Sauvignon Blanc 2022

I used the 2022 vintage info, since it should be perfect to enjoy now. This New Zealand SB is easy to find and priced to try. It sounds delightful on a hot, humid evening- perfect for Florida! Online prices start at $10.49.

Distributor notes

Medium-bodied, fruity with a dry finish. Straw color with green highlights a nose of ripe tropical fruit, lime zest and stone fruit. The palate is concentrated with flavors of nectarines, apricot and citrus fruit. The long full finish is balanced with vibrant acidity.

Pair with fish, chicken, artichoke, asparagus, herb sauces, salads dressed with light vinaigrette.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily and maps Rich!  I will celebrate Bagelfest day.  I found a great low carb one called Sola, hard to get up here.  My last aunt passed away at age 94 about 10 years ago.  Thanks for the definition of One Voice day @grapau27.  Something to strive for. An okay quote.  I would love to visit Tunis sometime. I love grilled steak with chimichurri on BHBs.  Pass on the cocktail but another kiwi SB should be a good one. Thanks for researching these for us each day.

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  Special prayers for Tana and Terry, I pray you both had a better night last night. 🙏 Prayers for Chuck, Annie, Jacqui, Terri and the rest of us who are ailing.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own.  Prayers for healing for my DB. 

We are going to town to pick up a prescription that has caused trouble all summer.  I found a computer repair shop in iron Mountain so I will drop my laptop off.  There was a Microsoft update done in early July that caused blue screen issues for Windows 10 most but also a problem for some 11 systems.  I hope it will be an easy fix.  Then we are going to the new Marvel movie Wolverine and_______.  John's choice, nice to have something else to do in town especially with the heat.  It got down to 50 last night so with the windows open all night we got it to 61.  With it shut up when we leave it should be almost 70 in here when we return in the evening.   Have a good Friday!   Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Sending out blessings for all the needs, and lifting up the joys for all celebrating 🎉
Thanks to each of you for being here. Enjoy a safe and happy Friday.

Jacqui, you are making Amazing progress, glad you are resting often. I’m sure you will drive more cautiously and that you are grateful to be able to! Yay! Change comes in waves. There is a horizon, beyond the boxes. 
Maureen

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good sunny and cool morning. It’s going to be a beautiful day today. The heat comes back next week.

My aunt Mae became my cruising buddy, I had her on several Caribbean trips and to Alaska. She passed in 2010, I miss her every day. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. It was downright cool at 60 earlier and such a pleasure. It will only go to the mid eighties later and the humidity is much less.

We went to the port shortly after Arab Spring and found it very exciting. We had a tour guide who was very enthusiastic to show us his country. We saw a lot of beautiful tile work and went  to the Souk. 
I miss my Aunts and Uncles. We had quite an interesting group and almost everyone lived nearby. Bagels are to be celebrated and we prefer ours from the bagel shop up the street. The recipe sounds good to me but I am the only steak lover here.One Voice sounds like a good plan.

Last night was an improvement over the previous one. DD stayed with Tana so that I could have more rest. She and DSIL are off today and are going grocery shopping for all of us. We will make dinner depending upon which fish looks good in our favorite fish store.

My grand dog Pippin sent me this the other day. I love this picture!

IMG_0751.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily updates.  Looks like a nice day in store for us, perfect for our drive to Squam Lake to visit friends over the weekend.  

Here’s hoping One Voice Day accomplishes something today as the world desperately needs peace.  I have several aunts and uncles left, mostly on my mother’s side.  Enjoy your bagels, I like the everything bagels with veggie cream cheese.

Nice quote, any excuse to read is a good one.

The meal and drink suggestions are nice.

I haven’t been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

It is a bit of a nippy start to the day, but that is fine by me.  We have abundant sunshine in the forecast with temperatures in the low 80s by mid-day.  A great day for working outside or relaxing on the deck with some iced tea.  After the gym, of course!  I am happy to report that I had very little pain in the left leg yesterday - less than the day before.  Some of the pain is from the injection site and may be needle trauma.  I've had that before.  What I like best is not waking up with horrible back pain.   

The fire department was out at the house with the family yesterday.  I'm sure they were investigating cause.  There is still one cat unaccounted for.  The grandma has a house about 20 minutes away and there is a son in town.  So the homeowner and her daughter will have some options on places they can go.  I wonder which ones took the snake.  

I would eat today's meal in a heartbeat.  Sue would probably turn her nose up to the chimichurri sauce, so I just won't tell her what is in it.  This one marinates the meat beforehand, which I think is a great first step with flank steak.  I would do it overnight.  Steak With Chimichurri Sauce

steakwithchimichurri1.thumb.jpg.40f37581c3819cf0865c4f4665367dd6.jpg

This one does not have a marinade for the flank steak.  Chimichurri Steak

steakwithchimichurri2.thumb.jpg.11f33bde23045a2803870a013434af06.jpg

This one doesn't marinate the steak first either.  I think I would.  But this recipe and the last one have some good tips for grilling the steak and making the chimichurri.    Flank Steak with Chimichurri

steakwithchimichurri3.jpg.dfb0ba2ed1e8f5a20fddb6d22056683e.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!   

• Like 18
  • Thanks 13

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Off to my doctor appointment in about an hour. Should be good.

We are on the Oosterdam  next year for today's port. Looking forward to it!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1