The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 17th, 2024

richwmn

Good morning. Yes, the Calvary arrived in the form of my 13year old grandson and my DS. They went grocery shopping at the farm store we have nearby and got a lot of things I usually don’t buy but appreciate. So many choices for meals in the next few days. My son made bean and cheese enchiladas to go with the vegetarian chili I made earlier in the day.

Last night they took turns getting up with Tana so that I could sleep. One of the dogs nudged me awake around five as DGS was sound asleep and help was needed. I don’t usually sleep past five anyway!

My feet continue to work hard and I appreciate them. I had a very physical job and they help up better than some other joints. I appreciate black cats and will stay away  from the “is” thing.

My grandmother came from Cork as a 16 year old with her siblings. She played the piano for their Vaudeville act. Even as a child I could tell she was the life of any party with her piano and songs. I would love to see her birthplace.

@0106, Bon Voyage!

IMG_3521.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  72. partly sunny, rain expected with low chances of happening, but violent storms if it does.  Cool.  I dont mean temperature cool.  I just love weather, besides, hot humid and sunny.

DH's vision is so bad, that he sees all the kittens as black, but only one is solid black.  And Since he grayed out on his chest and his lower belly, turns out he isn't solid black either.  When we met that woman at the vets who said she was interested in Turnip, she really expressed interest in Ollie.  She said no one has black cats anymore at the shelters.  I did have a solid black cat when I was in highschool, someone beat him to death.  I am not superstitious about cats, just people.

This is Tazi, and I will need to find some way to get the kittens to sit still so I can get pictures of them.

image.thumb.jpeg.33be0974b1514b635672d8a866ddcbc7.jpeg

When I was going through my pictures this morning, I found this -it makes me happy, and I cannot wait until this heat goes down, and that DH and I can walk the bird sanctuary trails again-it is time to make time for us.

image.thumb.jpeg.c6ca85bbbd01ec13fa5cf66d1e41564c.jpeg

I think that if you drank too many of those Midsummer Nights Dream, the barkeep may say-what fools these mortals be.

At 7:30 I got a text.  I figured it was Donna, as she watches the house until she sees the kitchen light come on, and then that is when she sends me a request, or some nosy neighborhood news.  Nope, it was one of my bosses telling me that he had switched me to Orlando this morning.....I start at 9:30.  I know I have a ton of call backs, but the cats ripped out the call back page from my notebook, and I have no idea who I will be calling.  I cant find what they ripped out, because they also eat paper.  LOL.

I hope everyone has a great day! 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

Just to let you know I had a "senior" moment....un senior hours yesterday.  I bought a precooked chicken at the store, was going to make chicken salad today. I set it in the oven to cool down, and remembered it 8 hours later.  Into the trash it goes.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Good cloudy and humid morning. Rain is expected later today and tomorrow.

My 3 black cats are in heaven. Salem and Ninja. I miss them both. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

There's a bit of a story behind today's sunrise.  In 2003 I attempted a totally overland circumnavigation of the globe, taking a freighter from Montreal to Europe, rail and ferry connections to  Helsinki, the trans-Siberian to Beijing, Crystal Harmony to Vancouver via Dutch Harbor, and rail back home.  Unfortunately, SARS got in the way and I had to fly home from Beijing, but I was still fascinated by Dutch Harbor.

In 2007 I planned another trip, flying to Fairbanks, working my way down to Homer, and then the Ferry Tustemena from Homer to Dutch and back to Kodiak.

On August 17, 2007  I left Fairbanks for Denali.

IMG_0197.thumb.JPG.201ec4c8b7d85d58667e1bb8eea0c8c7.JPG

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

We had rain overnight and we're expecting more rain this afternoon and evening.  Sue's happy as she doesn't have to water the flowers.  We're supposed to get rain most of the day today and tomorrow.  

Here's wishing Tina @0106 a wonderful cruise!  

@kazu It sounds pretty positive if inspectors are being sent out.   What a compliment to you from the inspector yesterday.  I did feel that in today's market people are willing to overlook cosmetics and concentrate on bones.  Mine sold so easily because of the wood floors, kitchen tile work, new siding and roof, front porch.  

@Crazy For Cats and @Sharon in AZ I am really getting excited.  We board a week from today.  Suitcases are out and I'm doing laundry, laundry, and more laundry.  

Today's meal is a favorite of mine.  There are different variations of this salad.  Some recipes include golden raisins and some have sugar in the dressing.  I tend to avoid the sugary stuff and put in some sunflower seeds.  Broccoli gives you more than a day's worth of vitamins C and K, as well as a nice dose of vitamin A, folate and manganese. There are also 2 grams of fiber in that same cup of broccoli, which is about 7% of your daily needs. Evidence suggests that certain compounds in broccoli may help protect against some cancers according to a review from Cancers in 2021.  It can also aid in blood glucose control, so eat your broccoli!  Broccoli Salad

loadedbroccolisalad1.jpg.676f411dc8beab8b1ff88e2e6ec26307.jpg

This next recipe is one of the sweet ones.  It has sugar in the dressing and dried cranberries in the salad.  Loaded Broccoli Salad

loadedbroccolisalad2.thumb.jpg.cab70e8d8a9002f0940999fc99afa63b.jpg

This recipe is keto, so low carb.  Low Carb Broccoli Salad

loadedbroccolisalad3.thumb.jpg.0edc247cbd57af1356bad1d08f09065f.jpg

Off to do laundry!   Wishing you all a wonderful day!

👍👍👍👍

• Like 16

Good morning and Happy Saturday. It’s cloudy out and my weather app says possible light rain within the next hour. 

Jake @Crazy For Cats, you sure have been busy!  And you are packed, wow!  I’ve always packed one or two days before I travel so I’m really impressed. 

I am going to pass on the meal, wine and drink. I would possibly try the drink without sage. For me sage belongs in food. 

I posted last evening about my DM going back home. I called her last night at 7 and she didn’t answer so she must have been out having fun playing some kind of game like Rummikub. I think she was bored staying with us. 

Dixie @summer slope, I’m happy your first cataract surgery went well and I wish you well for your second one on the 27th. Having cataract surgery was a big “eye opener” for me. 

Joy @Seasick Sailor, praying for Bonnie. How is Allen’s weight gain coming along?  

Vanessa @JazzyV, I’ve been concerned about your dizziness and glad to hear that you are doing better. I hope this continues. (BTW, you have RMLincoln listed on the Zuiderdam for the 24th but they are still on the Emerald Princess)

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, glad you made it to Texas and are enjoying your time with Ren. So good to hear your DS is doing well after surgery. 

Jane @lazey1, I hope Tony continues to get better and that he now has AHCCCS. 

Linda @lindaler, I’m sorry to hear about your DS and hope that you are still going on your cruise. 

Jacqui @kazu, it sure sounds like you have had some good showings. And Ivan has been a trouper!  When is your move in date, are you still moving this month?  You have so much going on. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Relaxing looking out to sea thinking about our next cruise.

Next Thursday August 22nd will be our 43rd wedding anniversary.

IMG_20240817_152030.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 24

We walked to the Farmer's Market, only 1/10th of a mile away.  Sticky out there.  Anyway, we saw the biggest carrots and ears of sweet corn I've ever seen.  Grow 'em big down here!  The BBQ place sure smelled good. 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Have you ever seen oyster mushrooms?  I haven't.

Bon Voyage wishes to Tina @0106

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We walked to the Farmer's Market, only 1/10th of a mile away.  Sticky out there.  Anyway, we saw the biggest carrots and ears of sweet corn I've ever seen.  Grow 'em big down here!  The BBQ place sure smelled good. 

Have you ever seen oyster mushrooms?  I haven't.

Bon Voyage wishes to Tina @0106

Wow Sandi!  The ginger looks amazing too. Yes on the oyster mushrooms, I have used them in a mixed mushroom risotto. I believe those are shiitake mushrooms to the left. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 23

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

Chance is perhaps the pseudonym of God when he does not want to sign.--Théophile Gautier

So maybe Theophile is someone loved by chance rather than a person loved by God.

• Like 16

Stayed up late and slept late. Just another day here with no plans as of now. It’s a beautiful day and currently ninety degrees with a chance of a thunderstorm this afternoon. Yesterday we treated ourselves to pedicures so we both have smooth happy feet.

Time for another cup of coffee and reading your post. Have a great day. B.

image.jpeg.fbc9cf518034407142dc458f9a8497ee.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6327ef8a57c278fc723efaf195ffae90.jpegimage.jpeg.80e67d92d48d45b3da7f6dd3405157f3.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 21

15 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Wow Sandi!  The ginger looks amazing too. Yes on the oyster mushrooms, I have used them in a mixed mushroom risotto. I believe those are shiitake mushrooms to the left. 

They were shiitake.  DH was looking at them because he's allergic to wild mushrooms.  I thought the ginger looked "healthy" too!

• Like 23

Good morning all,

We have cloud cover again, and it’s in the 70s now and going up. Our fabulous neighbor drove us to the airport early this morning, and so we sit with coffee and wait for boarding. Being so impressed with AirTags on our last flights to a cruise, we purchased another (DH asked for another), and our little “fleet” is deployed in our luggage and carry ons. I took “Rover1” this time- but maybe I should have renamed him.😳. Looking around it’s amazing how many people have carry ons that blatantly defy the limits. Our planes are full and the airline offered free check on for the carry ons. We have backpacks with camera equipment so I’m really hoping we’re not required to gate check because someone decided to take an oversized item.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  It’s overcast here in St. Paul with a chance of some rain today.  Not exactly the forecast a young couple want to hear on their wedding day.  Press on!  Thanks for the daily updates, I look forward to them each morning.

I love black cats, very panther like.  I don’t think my feet will think that I love them after I jail them in tuxedo shoes later this afternoon.  The wedding is black tie so there are no options.  Lying is lying.

The quote is pretty funny.

The meal sounds very nice and I would try the drink out of curiosity but I can’t promise that I’d finish it.

I haven’t been to today’s port.  Thanks for sharing your photos.

Prayers for those on our prayer list and for those in need of them.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!  Bon voyage @0106 🍾🚢

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

We have cloud cover again, and it’s in the 70s now and going up. Our fabulous neighbor drove us to the airport early this morning, and so we sit with coffee and wait for boarding. Being so impressed with AirTags on our last flights to a cruise, we purchased another (DH asked for another), and our little “fleet” is deployed in our luggage and carry ons. I took “Rover1” this time- but maybe I should have renamed him.😳. Looking around it’s amazing how many people have carry ons that blatantly defy the limits. Our planes are full and the airline offered free check on for the carry ons. We have backpacks with camera equipment so I’m really hoping we’re not required to gate check because someone decided to take an oversized item.

Laura, having just flown this week I can certainly agree about the blatant disregard of the carry on limits.  I saw luggage that resembled bean bag chairs, plus the couple had 3 other fairly large bags.  What the heck?  We decided to check a bag instead of me carrying one on just because there's rarely enough overhead space by our seat for the two of us to put one up there.  I hope your luggage arrives safely and you have a wonderful trip.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Laura, having just flown this week I can certainly agree about the blatant disregard of the carry on limits.  I saw luggage that resembled bean bag chairs, plus the couple had 3 other fairly large bags.  What the heck?  We decided to check a bag instead of me carrying one on just because there's rarely enough overhead space by our seat for the two of us to put one up there.  I hope your luggage arrives safely and you have a wonderful trip.

I was told to gate check a bag or not fly once.  The bag contained my CPAP machine.  I tried to explain it to the agent at the gate and she responded by taking it from me and throwing it to the tarmac.  Needless to say, the machine was damaged.  When I reported it to the airline they said I shouldn't have gate checked it.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 17

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn & all contributors.

Black cats are pretty. I normally like my feet, but have been having some issues lately. Is is. Interesting quote. Yes to the meal, pass on the drink and wine. I have been to the Cobh Cruise port, but not Ringaskiddy, and did not go to Cork. 2 good days in history.

It's partly cloudy and very humid today. We might get some rain showers this afternoon. The North Side of the city is going to be super crowded with a baseball game at 1, then a Steelers game at 7, and they share parking lots. I'll stay away. I may be making the dough for sourdough bread later, and continue sorting through "stuff". I still have a small amount of dizziness with change in position, but I'm holding off on the maneuvers for now, to see how it goes. We met with our TA with our friends regarding an Alaska cruise next year. She worked up all the pricing for Princess, and will do the same for HAL. They are under the impression that HAL is more expensive, so we'll see. BFF and I will go along with whatever they choose.

@StLouisCruisers That sounds like fun chatting with Ren about the good old days. I hope DSis is not in too much pain. Sorry to hear about DD's foot pain. Great looking produce at the farmer's market. 

@kazu It sounds like people really like the house, so fingers crossed for great offers. I think that's lovely to keep the knee cushion in memory of DD DH and for Ivan. 

@ottahand7 I hope your DBIL has a quick recovery.

@Crazy For Cats Wow, lots going on at your house, and work, and yet you managed to be already packed. Impressive!

@smitty34877 I'm glad help has arrived, and that you were able to get a good night's rest. I love how the dogs help out too, in getting help if needed. 

@Sir PMP Thanks for the photos. 

@Sharon in AZ That's funny that you think your DM was bored while staying with you. 

@HAL4NOW Nice to see your post.

@TiogaCruiser Safe travels. I too dislike how people try to take on luggage as carry-on that's way too big.

@Mr. Boston I've heard that rain is supposed to be lucky on a wedding day, but let's hope for only a few drops. 

@HAL Sailer I'm thinking of you and DH.

@Seasick Sailor Thanks for the correction.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5