The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 21st, 2024

Today is International Day of Peace, National Chai Day, and National Surgical Technologists Day

Kindness, I've discovered, is everything in life. - Isaac Bashevis Singer

Meal Suggestion for today - Smash Burgers
Drink of the Day - Ting and Rum
Wine of the Day - Young American Rosé, Volume 2
Destination of the Day - Riga, Latvia

Today in History:
1621 King James I of England gives Sir William Alexander a royal charter for colonisation of Nova Scotia
1915 Cecil Chubb buys English prehistoric monument Stonehenge for £6,600

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Olivia Majestic Alaska Cruise

Seattle, Washington   0700-1500

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Vancouver, BC, Canada   0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC, Canada eta 09-22

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy   0700-1700

Noordam --- 14 days, round-trip Great Alaska Explorer

Valdez, Alaska   1200-2000

Oosterdam --- 10 days, one-way from Barcelona to Piraeus-Athens

Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy   0700-1700

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Norse Legends

Rotterdam (Amsterdam), Holland   0700-1500

Volendam --- 10 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston

Montreal, Quebec, Canada   0700-1900

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Skagway, Alaska   0630-2100

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City

Boston, Massachusetts   0700-1500

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan

Shimizu, Japan   0800-1800
image.thumb.png.955fe01456c3e3abbba9313cae93247d.png

image.thumb.png.0836d6dcdceb20163db98cf95c7d110f.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 22

Good morning friends!  Here it is Saturday once again.  The weather here is fair and 63F. Today will be another sunny day with a high of 89.  It's going to be pretty hot for the next week, then begin cooling down.  Last Saturday we were preparing to attend our DGD’s wedding.  In about a week Ashley and Christopher will be going to Rome to spend a few days, then are taking a 9 night RCCL cruise of Greece, Italy, Turkey and Crete.  They are really looking forward to it.  Meanwhile I hope Denise @Denise T enjoys her nephew’s wedding today, and she gets lots of time catching up with all the relatives.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily information.  I am all for an International Day of Peace, don't drink chai, but appreciate all the surgical technologists.  A nice thought by Singer but not totally accurate.  A smash burger sounds good!  I don't think I'd enjoy a Ting and Rum but would love some rosé.  It is an important day in Nova Scotia's beginnings, and amazing that someone was allowed to purchase Stonehenge which should be a national treasure.  A big thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the wonderful food and beverage reports

Prayers today for Roy, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Vanessa, Ann and Pat, Nancy’s DB Nick, Melisa and her DH, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Dixie, and Carol and Sam. 🙏  Roy @rafinmd, I hope your setback yesterday is a temporary one and you are back on track very soon.  Jacqui @kazu, how are things going with you and Ivan at the new place?  Hoping you get the call about the cataract surgery soon.  I also want to send up special prayers for my DB, the people in Israel and Ukraine, the last of the hostages still held, and our military in the region. 🙏 Congrats to everyone celebrating special events, cruising and preparing to cruise. 🎂🚢  What would we do without you Vanessa @JazzyV?  I hope you are doing better each day and are ready for that long-awaited cruise before the end of the month.

The destination today is Riga, Latvia.  This was the port before on Oct. 18, 2023.  I haven’t gotten there before and I don’t have plans for a Baltic cruise anytime soon.  Here is the link so everyone can grab their photos from last October.

Yesterday I spent hours working on the letters of Christopher's name on his Christmas stocking.  It involves two strands of very delicate gold metallic thread and one strand of cotton embroidery thread.  One letter can take two hours to stitch!  Maybe I'm just slow, but I like to think it's because I want it to look perfect.  🪡

Let’s hope today is a good day for all of us.  Keep safe and stay well.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Good morning and thank you for today's daily reports Sandi.

We had breakfast at the beach and there was plenty of people swimming in the sea and a large organised group of litter pickers on the beach.

Peace is important.

My first chocolate company I worked for also had big Tea plantations in India and Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and sold many varieties of teas including Lemon and Peach flavour instant teas.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

IMG_20240921_091445.jpg

Screenshot_20240921_110609.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 14

1. Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.
  2. A pleasantly warm morning, already 16C (61F) but we've got thunderstorms in the forecast.  It's still dark, so Bertie will have to wait for his morning walk.
  3. Three good days to observe.
  4. I like the quote.
  5. We had cheeseburgers for dinner last night, I'll have to save the recipes for smash burgers for another time.  Not sure about the drink or wine.
  6. Another port I have not been to, thanks in advance for pictures.
  7. Prayers for so many.  Cheers for celebrations.
  8. Have a great Saturday.
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

StLouisCruisers with a health issue, upcoming biopsy

Cruzin Terri’s friend Jackie post hernia surgery

JazzyV battling leg swelling and pain

Rafinmd (Roy) transferred to acute care for fast heart rate

Hoping Lindaler  is ok

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US. Those in the path of Francine.

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Vict0riann’s DH Pat needing heart valve surgery

Summer slope with slight tear in meniscus, with pain

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Anniversary Haljo1935 (Elizabeth & DH)!

Welcome Home Tbay!

Happy Wedding Day to Denise T’s nephew!

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie w/breast cancer, lymph nodes neg 2nd surgery

Denise T’s dissertation draft not needing editing so far

Kazu moved into new home; house sold

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

7 days for TAW1963 (Eurodam Sept 28 to Oct 5 ) 7d Alaska Explorer

7 days for Haljo1935 (Eurodam Sept 28 to Oct 5) 7d Alaska Explorer – celebrating 35th anniversary

St Pete Cruiser (Serenade of the Seas to Sept 22) 4d Caribbean, Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 24

The "Ting and Rum" cocktail is a tropical delight that perfectly captures the essence of island living. With its bright and zesty flavors, this refreshing libation is reminiscent of sandy beaches, crystal-clear waters, and warm tropical breezes. The name "Ting" comes from the popular Jamaican grapefruit soda that serves as the star ingredient in this cocktail. Combined with the smoothness of rum, this drink is a perfect balance of sweet and tangy, making it a favorite among rum enthusiasts and those seeking a taste of the Caribbean. Sit back, relax, and let the flavors of the Ting and Rum cocktail transport you to a sun-soaked paradise.
Ingredients:
2 oz. white rum
4 oz. ting grapefruit soda
Directions:
Fill a highball glass with ice cubes. Pour the rum over the ice, allowing it to mingle and chill.
Slowly pour the Ting grapefruit soda into the glass. Give the cocktail a gentle stir. Garnish the cocktail with a lime wedge(optional).

Screenshot 2024-09-21 at 6.43.55 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 19

Good Saturday evening from Yokohama on the lovely Westerdam. All aboard is 8:30 tonight. Chef Gonzaga told us more disembarked today than embarked by about 60.

We had such a fun day! The weather was a bit more friendly with a slight sea breeze.

Yesterday was Chinatown and oh so beautiful. Today was souvenir shopping day!

The Red Brick buildings had some unique items I took advantage of. Lovely jeweled hair sticks, music boxes, chop sticks (my Thursday Girls asked for) and the post cards are stunning. (My girlfriend has been collecting them since a teenager, and has nearly one thousand) 

The cashier ladies wrap each gift with beautiful paper and place in a paper bag that looks a gift in itself. 

I know I go over board with excitement,  so excuse me for my over board excitement!!

Tomorrow morning I will be up before daybreak awaiting the amazing Mount Fuji!!

Wishing all those who are in pain blessings and prayers from above. 

0a670a06-5d18-4979-b645-1f10b136b115.jpg

20240921_123218.jpg

PS: I won twice this week on Bingo! No free cruise, or the $1600 jackpot, but paid for a few more Bingo games!

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Spelling
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 8

Thank you for the Reports and Dailys!!

All great reasons to celebrate on this day!

Mr. Singer has a wonderful thought!!

And the meal, beverages and destination seem right, too!!

If only I were alive in 1915 -- Stonehenge...  I could have called it Lambie-henge!!!

• Like 18
  • Haha 9

Happy Saturday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Today is the day! My nephew Josh and his fiancé Amanda are getting married today. My plan is to be enjoying the festivities. 

Happy anniversary to @Haljo1935.

75 Funny Anniversary Memes | Happy Anniversary Funny Images – FunZumo

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

90 Funny Saturday Memes, Images & Pics for a Happy Weekend | Funny ...

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi for Rich! @rafinmd Roy, praying that you just took a small step back on the road to recovery. Happy that you are in the right place to make that happen. 

Yesterday was the second day in a row with no rain. And what a spectacular day! It was the perfect weather to wash the outdoor cushions: warm, sunny & quite a breeze. They dried in record time & look so much better. 

Vanessa, praying that your leg’s swelling continues to improve and the pain lessons. You really deserve to be able to enjoy your upcoming cruise. Thank you for keeping our lists.

Gym, Bindi walks, chores inside & out, afternoon wine tasting, then supper back at my place. And the weather appears to be cooperating!

IMG_3458.jpeg.b2c32adff7c0dd8388c8f9b03360edac.jpeg

IMG_3460.jpeg.2c192d2be4050aa17d5f0a91354048be.jpeg

IMG_3461.jpeg.ff6f1002bd1c19e24e799bd8046dafdc.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying for Tana, Terry, Roy, Melisa & DH, Bonnie, Chuck & Annie, Pat & Ann, Sandi & her DB, Sam, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Dixie, Vanessa, Elizabeth, Jacqui, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. And praying @lindaler & @Nickelpenny are well. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. @Haljo1935 Happy Anniversary to Elizabeth & DH!

@Seasick Sailor Joy, I love the picture of you & Allen! 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Young American Rosé, Volume 2

Sadly, I could not find any distributors for this wine. I did find two different wines & a book with this name. The one from Georgia is mentioned on Vivino, the wine app, but no info or price. The one from Washington is mentioned on its vintner’s website. But it was not available to buy. Though I did find another rosé available to purchase. 

Winemaker notes

The new Young American Rosé is crisp, refreshing, and fruity; a perfect refreshment for summer/fall/winter/spring! This juicy off-dry Rose is then back-sweetened with juice accentuating notes of peach and apricot, with a great acid profile which balances the wine beautifully.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

Appellation: 

100% Washington State

Varietal:

50% Merlot
50% Syrah 

Alc/Vol: 13.0% 

pH:  3.45pH 

Cases Produced: 827

Good to Know

To make rosé wine, the skin of red grapes is immersed in the wine for a short amount of time (typically anywhere from 2 to 20 hours). The sooner the grape skins are removed, the lighter the rosé will be; the longer they sit in their wine bath, the deeper pink the rosé.

Rosé is a beautiful accompaniment to foods of all sorts. From melon and prosciutto to salade niçoise, to a juicy burger or Indian food, this versatile vino goes with a lot and should be consumed within two to three years of purchase at the longe

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone.  It’s gray, drizzly and cool here this morning, guess grass cutting will have to wait.  Thank-you for the daily report.  Three nice days to honor, surgical technologists help keep the operating theatre running smoothly.

I really like today’s quote and I agree with it totally.

The meal and drink suggestions sound tasty.  I’ve never had Ting but DH taught school in Jamaica years ago and speaks of it often.

I’ve never been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on our prayer list, I hope @rafinmd’s situation is resolved today so that he can continue working in rehab.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today.  Happy anniversary to @Haljo1935!🥂

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

We have dense fog outside right now, but it is supposed to lift before we head north for River's soccer game.  Today is supposed to be sunny with temperatures in the mid 80s.  

@Haljo1935

Anniversary.jpg.49ccbae45f3f934bffc270f5bae26ff5.jpg

@rafinmd I hope you had a restful healing night.

@marshhawk The work situation sounds a bit like communication from Spectrum about their outages.  Work on your vacation?  No, that contradicts the reason for the vacation.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I can tell them the reason for the back pain without an MRI.  Arthritis the length of my spine, degenerative disc disease the length of my spine, spinal stenosis, mild scoliosis, mild dislocation of the sacroiliac joint.  That is what the last MRI showed and I suspect this one will show the same thing, only a bit worse.  And they'll tell me this is a natural part of aging and to stay active.  They'll want to prescribe PT again, but I'm already doing everything at the gym that we would do in PT.  Have been for years.  They'll suggest lidocaine patches - yes, I have them.  They'll suggest Voltaren gel.  Got some of that, too.  I just want to sleep through the night and not be woken up at 4:00 am with flank/hip pain.

Smash burgers sound tasty and they are quite easy to make.  Just remember to have the meat very cold and smash right away and then not again.  If you smash later in the cooking process, you'll lose all the juiciness of the burger.  Smash Burgers

smashburgers1.jpg.18461d67a344b5523a32ddde56266a09.jpg

The reason smash burgers are popular is because of their signature crust.  You're cooking them in a super hot cast iron pan, so be sure to watch them carefully and make sure they make a crust and don't burn!   And, remember!  Only smash once right after putting them in the pan.  This next recipe comes with a burger sauce for when they are done cooking as well as a burger juice that is added to the meat before cooking.  Make meatballs out of the meat and then smash once the meat hits the pan.   The Best Homemade Smash Burgers

smashburgers2.thumb.jpg.671e245dec1fb881e7aa2d8f8fca7c83.jpg

This recipe is for a double smash burger with cheese in the middle.  Double Smash Burgers

smashburgers3.thumb.jpg.d1a487d142e6fff62cd7be167c4e3c41.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 14

Good morning to everyone.  Happy Anniversary to @Haljo1935, Elizabeth and wishing you many more.

@Denise T Have a fabulous time at the wedding.

I think the quote and have never been to the port and no plans to go there.  

Not much on the agenda for today. I do water aerobics every morning so off to get ready for the pool now.  We have thunderstorms predicted again this afternoon - every day this week in the afternoon it has been torrential rains.

Have a great Saturday.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Happy Saturday!   I like the quote about kindness. Isaac Bashevis Singer won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1978, he wrote in Yiddish.  One of his short stories was the basis for the movie Yentl.

I don’t drink much soda but I love Ting.  It reminds me of the Caribbean.  IMG_1794.jpeg.6d5898007afd94f4986509a6a023367f.jpeg

Off to the farmer’s market.  My DH has requested hamburgers on the grill for dinner (I’ll see if he’d prefer a smash burger) so I’ll pick up some locally raised beef.  I want to make sure I get some corn and tomatoes before they are gone for the summer.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It looks like another nice day getting up to 75 later. I have not been to the port, would love a smash burger and like the quote. We have not made a decision about dinner yet. 
@rafinmd, Roy, I hope things are under control today and that rehab can continue when you are able. Sending extra prayers.

@Seasick Sailor, Joy, I am very much enjoying your pictures and commentary about Japan. It is fun to “sail” along with you and Allen!

My trusty assistant today is DSIL. He is a very positive person and we keep him around to aid the rest of us. I love the fact that his glass is always half full! DD will go to the football game later today with Tana’s ex husband. We need our teenager to know we are rooting for him! He is a second string quarterback. 
Have a great day everyone 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Another very nice day in north Jersey as they call it here. 
The Peace service yesterday in our community chapel was lovely. It spurred me to write to my stepsons and my nephews and niece, attaching an essay I came upon recently. I hope they take it to heart and in the spirit I meant it to be. Peace begins within. Today’s quote on kindness is timely. 

@Denise T Have a grand day at the wedding!

@Haljo1935Happy Anniversary to you two! Never enough anniversaries. 🎂

Blessings for a better path for those in any kind of pain.  May you get whatever you need- Rest, guidance, relief!
Hoping Roy is well enough today to continue rehab. 
Cheers to those having happy times! Life is Good🌈
Thanks all for being here.  Enjoy today!  Maureen 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

thanks for our Daily, Sandi and thanks to Vanessa and our F & B team.

I am afraid that autumn is coming on the last day of summer here..

Things have been in a bit of a turmoil here. I’ve been busy fighting with Bella and Rogers and the movers. I missing boxes from the move with some key things as well as a treasured lampshade that Jose had before we were married and it was one of the ones I chose to bring.  Not getting anywhere with the moving company.  my AirTags are missing so I hoped they would tell me where the items are but it looks like nobody is going around them with an Apple product – at least not yet.

Still waiting for cataract surgery and my eyesight is getting worse and worse. The pain in my foot and legs is not letting me sleep well so, as a result, I end up sleeping in and getting little done most mornings.  Waiting an MRI for my back as it’s now determined it’s definitely neuropathic pain and the vascular surgery was  a success.  my foot nurse is trying to get it expedited and if that can’t happen, then she will drive me to Monkton and I will pay for a private clinic to do it.

Ivan’s walks have been a challenge with inconsistent dog walkers. Trying to do it myself is beyond painful. It’s hard enough just to do the little bit The other times for his business.

The cruise is looking more and more out of the question, and I’ve already posted on the roll call to start making arrangements for sending off the name, tags and invites and rearranging my tours.

all in all, a bit depressing.  Now you know why I haven’t posted much.  I really don’t have anything good to say.  Prayers for all those who need them and cheers to those celebrating and cruising..

• Like 10
  • Thanks 40