Edge/Revolutionized Ships---Hmmm---$$$$

cluso

22 minutes ago, Rina155 said:

Came across these deck plans, thanks for an informational thread as I will be sailing on the Millie after the refit in April!  I truly hope the cabin I am in is not changing in size as I just noticed a few days ago it went from a 3 person cabin to 2.  I am rather hoping that change was due to the additional cabins being placed or people who have secured booking and now at the capacity for having an additional person in the cabin.  

In my opinion X is “downsizing” cabin occupancy, with doubles being their target. That would limit choices for families, or close friends, who would normally book one standard cabin for 3 or 4 persons.

8 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

In my opinion X is “downsizing” cabin occupancy, with doubles being their target. That would limit choices for families, or close friends, who would normally book one standard cabin for 3 or 4 persons.

Thanks for the response.  I keep stalking the Millennium Deck plans hoping Celebrity updates them soon on their site and hoping the size of the forward ocean view cabin I have does not change!  🙂

On 1/3/2019 at 11:44 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Her main qualification for the job was that she had never taken a cruise. Does that make it more understandable?

54 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Are you serious?  :classic_unsure:

I was being sarcastic, but actually Celebrity did make a big deal out of the fact that neither Kelly nor any of the other designers have ever done a cruise ship or even sailed on one.  And I don't believe they used any focus groups either.  Celebrity wanted Edge to be completely new and different from anything that went before.  Which may explain why they re-invented the wheel as a square object and we now wonder why the car doesn't roll...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I was being sarcastic, but actually Celebrity did make a big deal out of the fact that neither Kelly nor any of the other designers have ever done a cruise ship or even sailed on one.  And I don't believe they used any focus groups either.  Celebrity wanted Edge to be completely new and different from anything that went before.  Which may explain why they re-invented the wheel as a square object and we now wonder why the car doesn't roll...

Actually X did use focus groups. We were on the Silhouette in the Spring of 2015 for our 40th Anniversary. Apparently X had asked our TA if we would be interested in participating in such a group. Our TA, unfortunately, told them no because we were traveling with family and thought it would interrupt our celebration. We didn’t find out about this until a year later. I really wish they had asked us personally for an answer, we would have said yes!

If we had been there maybe the wheels would still be round... 😁

Edited by C-Dragons

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

Maybe X had to reduce the passengers per cabin as they are adding additional cabins.  Perhaps there is a legal limit on the number of passengers.  Just a guess.

1 minute ago, Oville said:

Maybe X had to reduce the passengers per cabin as they are adding additional cabins.  Perhaps there is a legal limit on the number of passengers.  Just a guess.

It's nice to want to give X the benefit of the doubt, however I think it is more driven by profit.

4 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

It's nice to want to give X the benefit of the doubt, however I think it is more driven by profit.

But wouldn’t it be more profitable to have 3 rather than 2 passengers in a cabin?

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Anybody going to cancel Edge because of the faux coral piece in their cabin?  This is really all getting very picky.

Not to mention that the origin of this thread is regarding thr Edgefication of the other Celebrity ships. Moving on now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Oville said:

But wouldn’t it be more profitable to have 3 rather than 2 passengers in a cabin?

Let's say there is a family of 3 who would normally book a standard cabin that previously accommodated 3 or 4 persons, and X changes the maximum occupancy to only 2 guests. That family has to either A) book a larger more expensive “family” cabin, B) book 2 adjoining (again more expensive) cabins, or C) upgrade to a suite (also more expensive). 

11 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Let's say there is a family of 3 who would normally book a standard cabin that previously accommodated 3 or 4 persons, and X changes the maximum occupancy to only 2 guests. That family has to either A) book a larger more expensive “family” cabin, B) book 2 adjoining (again more expensive) cabins, or C) upgrade to a suite (also more expensive). 

The point I was trying to make is there may be capacity limits.  I haven’t read anywhere that they are adding any larger life boats in response to adding quite a few cabins.

Your example above, yes for the family it will be more expensive but for the cruise line they are filling most cabins anyway so I don’t see additional revenue with the exception of the newly added cabins.

We’re looking forward to being in 11268 in two weeks, I hope you enjoyed it.

Katie

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

By adding more cabins wouldn't Celebrity have to limit the number of cabins that could hold 3 or 4 passengers because of life boat constraints.

My understanding is that they already have to cut off bookings of more than 2 people on some sailings when the ship reaches that capacity.

1 hour ago, RICCruisers said:

Or, that family may look elsewhere for their cruise. X is not the only option. 

Yes, that was obviously a choice but I didn’t think it was necessary to point it out. 😁

Edited by C-Dragons

I believe the M Class and maybe S will have new cabins  added back towards the spa area..  These will be AQ class..limited to 2  people.

We booked Summit for 2020  in a 2 A and were assured our cabin would have a real balcony..That was encouraging news!

2 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

It is always good to use the lowest common denominator when talking to people. 

But...do people always expect the LCD or is it just what works best for you...I am just trying to understand the "relevance" of your comment...that's all!

Edited by Lastdance

On 1/3/2019 at 12:28 PM, ecslady said:

i think RC corporate wants to keep the RC ships for families, and trying to make X more of an adult ship.  X is shrinking space for kids.  

There were 400 kids on the Silhouette Holiday cruise - they took over the Hideaway, Library, and at times Al Bacio!  I felt like X is shrinking space for adults :classic_blink:  (I realize there's more kids at holidays)....

On 1/2/2019 at 8:05 AM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

LOL, probably!

It's an interesting look, I kind of like it, except the limited storage space.  Might take some creativity on a 14+ day cruise?

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 6.02.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 6.02.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 6.02.42 AM.png

Truly ugly and impractical.....designer is way off...need to stand on a chair for the top shelves. It is a cheaper looking version of current decor! Hope they are not making the cabins smaller?????

.But we went ahead and booked Summit from Bayonne in 2020..9 night Newport, Bermuda and Charleston with overnights...

Packing will be a challenge but at least we will have a balcony and drapes.  Booked for the itin....And maybe a few good meals.,..we'll have to line up for the gym!

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Truly ugly and impractical.....designer is way off...need to stand on a chair for the top shelves. It is a cheaper looking version of current decor! Hope they are not making the cabins smaller?????

.But we went ahead and booked Summit from Bayonne in 2020..9 night Newport, Bermuda and Charleston with overnights...

Packing will be a challenge but at least we will have a balcony and drapes.  Booked for the itin....And maybe a few good meals.,..we'll have to line up for the gym!

I think it looks elegant, sleek and modern. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RDC1 said:

Reminds me of Ikea.

I said that when we saw the first renderings of the Edge a few years ago (unsure if we can still obtain those posts, though?).

There’s not much storage space when you think the middle section is the fridge and the safe will also be taking room in the plastic (?) fronted wardrobe? The top photo is different; it appears like the cooler could be under the curved section on the exterior bathroom wall and drawers are next to the wardrobe? I wonder if it will it depend on cabin category as to which is installed? Shoes may fit under the wardrobe, in the space at the bottom, though.