Oasis toilet bowl

13 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

No.  It's clearly from the water - see the clear line defined by it.

I agree with MM.  It’s from the toilet brush.  I’ve seen it lots of times on the Allure.  But I also agree with you that they aren’t pleasing to look at and should be replaced.  If it is not your present brush, one in the past did that damage.  

I had a cleaning service in the past that used an abrasive pumice stone to clean hard water stains in ours at home. I did not realize it until it was too late.  A yucky view, for sure.  

In your pic, you can see where the water protected the porcelain from being as scratched as the dry porcelain.  

• Like 1

It's not from the toilet brush, but it is also easily explained, and certainly not an issue.  Unlike land toilets which have the water passages that distribute water around under the rim of the toilet to wash away the "swirl art" cast into the porcelain of the toilet, the ship's vacuum toilets use a rubber ring shaped hose that is stuck up under the rim and has several openings in it to do the same job.  As the rubber ages, and the chlorine in the ship's water exaggerates this, it breaks into small particles and is carried into the bowl.  You will note in the photo that the water in the bowl is clear, while the "dry" area above it is covered in these small particles.  Due to the low velocity, and low quantity of water entering the bowl each flush, these particles just sort of trickle down the sides of the bowl and stick there.  If this is seen, mention it to your cabin steward, and maintenance can renew the hose, and problem solved.

For those adventurous souls, you can stick your head in the bowl and look up under the rim to see the rubber ring, or feel up there with your hands.  :classic_blink:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

It's not from the toilet brush, but it is also easily explained, and certainly not an issue.  Unlike land toilets which have the water passages that distribute water around under the rim of the toilet to wash away the "swirl art" cast into the porcelain of the toilet, the ship's vacuum toilets use a rubber ring shaped hose that is stuck up under the rim and has several openings in it to do the same job.  As the rubber ages, and the chlorine in the ship's water exaggerates this, it breaks into small particles and is carried into the bowl.  You will note in the photo that the water in the bowl is clear, while the "dry" area above it is covered in these small particles.  Due to the low velocity, and low quantity of water entering the bowl each flush, these particles just sort of trickle down the sides of the bowl and stick there.  If this is seen, mention it to your cabin steward, and maintenance can renew the hose, and problem solved.

For those adventurous souls, you can stick your head in the bowl and look up under the rim to see the rubber ring, or feel up there with your hands.  :classic_blink:

Oh yeah.....I can just see the germaphobs who won’t touch an elevator button or a handrail on a moving ship sticking their hand under the toilet rim to cop a feel. Some probably reached for the hand sanitizer just looking at the picture.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm not sure if you should be flattered, or in this particular instance concerned, that the first thing I thought was "I bet @chengkp75 can explain this." 

• Haha 1

This happened on our Navigator cruise in 2016. It was weird, and could tell it was not permanent, but didn't change with any flushing. When mentioned to the Steward, they must have done just what you described, because that evening, it was a clean bowl.

This is another situation where I will just have to take your word for it.🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, bouhunter said:

No.  It's clearly from the water - see the clear line defined by it.

Actually at one time I had a lot of iron in my water. The color was just the opposite than here. The iron colored the bowl where the water sat. The rest of the bowl was clear.

16 hours ago, YogiDog said:

Just got off the Oasis

Junior Suite Deck 6

This was my toilet.

Yuck!

Dry Dock can't come too soon...

toilet.png

I would have called housekeeping immediately. I wouldn't look at that for a week straight. And I'm not sure why the cabin steward would let that go on...

Edited by marci22

On 3/12/2019 at 5:52 AM, chengkp75 said:

And if anyone does this, could you please let me know if the water in the bowl is fresh or salt water? Thanks :classic_dry:

• Haha 3

On 3/12/2019 at 5:52 AM, chengkp75 said:

This is my all time favorite post. I am sure many people have stuck there head in there but were in no condition to report back.

7 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

And if anyone does this, could you please let me know if the water in the bowl is fresh or salt water? Thanks :classic_dry:

I know I will not even be able to consider using it if it is salt water.:classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1