Best Sale Ever Starts December 11th

azbirdmom

4 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

The add-ons get included in the fare price so this makes them commissionable. A great example for me is that I have 2 clients booked on Discovery Princess in 2022. They have very specific rooms booked and have no desire to change them. They booked without any promos other than a group OBC from my company ($50 per room). I was able to refare (NOT add-on) for the exact same price for one client - she is paying the same but now getting the drinks/grats/wifi. Had I done this as an add-on, that extra charge would be included in my commission. On the flip side, the other client is in a category that is currently sold out. I believe that I am unable to refare and get the amenities added at the the same price BUT will call Princess tomorrow and see if I can do them as an add-on....in which case I stand to make a little more in commission. Hope this makes sense....

It makes total sense - understood.  I did think as you stated that it is part of the cruise fare and therefore subject to commission.  I doubt there is even a non-commissionable portion as that is already baked into the base fare.  I will explore further because it was a back-office person that responded (although she is excellent).

I was just looking for confirmation.  Thanks.

33 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

if I can do them as an add-on....in which case I stand to make a little more in commission.

Forgot to ask (if you don't mind).... is the commission rate (%) the same for the add-on packages as for the cruise fare?  (NOT asking the amount mind you)

Edited by steelers36

As all pax in the cabin have to purchase the add-on package, does anyone know if a 20 year old sailing (in a triple cabin) in Asia would be able to qualify for the PBP rather than the soda package? Note: drinking age on these itineraries is 18. TIA.

9 hours ago, elliair said:

I have a cruise booked for Alaska in May.  I did a fake booking on the same cruise using the new sale offer.  We already get free wifi and OBC on the original booking.  If I switched over to the new sale offer, I would have to pay $850 more.  I don't drink, so the beverage package wouldn't be worth it to me.  I might book another cruise for later in 2020 using the offer.

DW and I  took a long hard look at the “Best Sale Ever” promotion currently being offered by Princess Cruises.  We came to the conclusion that it may be a good deal for some travelers but not for others.  We are currently booked on a January 2021 15 day cruise.  We have a balcony stateroom on the Lido deck for which we paid $2399.00 per person.  Included in the fare were $200 OBC and Prepaid Gratuities valued at $217.50 per person.  The effective rate for the room is $1981.00.

In order to take advantage of the “Best Sale Ever” we would pay $3299 for the same stateroom.  Included would be Prepaid Gratuities again valued at $217.50, Free WIFI valued at $129.99, up to $200 for airfare, and Free Premier Beverage Package currently valued at $70.79 per day or a total of $1061.85 for the duration of the 15 day cruise. 

Based on the above I believe that in order to benefit from the “Best Sale Ever” an individual could indeed get a better deal only of they were going to purchase the Premier Beverage Package anyway.

My wife and I have been on a number of Princess Cruises and have always found them to be great vacations and worth the expense.  Due to medical considerations a drink package does not apply to us.  What we have in the “Best Sale Ever” is a promotion that could work for some but not for others.  Everyone should do the math.  Just saying.

I would very much welcome everyone’s take on my analysis and if I am way off I would really appreciate your comments and guidance.

Edited by lpops
Spacing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lpops said:

I would very much welcome everyone’s take on my analysis and if I am way off I would really appreciate your comments and guidance.

Adding the add-on code BEST2DW, your increase in fare would be $750*. You would retain your current OBC and gratuities. You would add 2x PBP and 2x Wifi. Your fare would go up to $3149 and your cruise would be close to all-inclusive. 

However if you do not enjoy the non-alcoholic offerings included in PBP, and do not use Wifi, this would indeed make no sense for you. Although it is called a Sale, the fares are not decreased, only the add-ons come at a reduced price for most people.

But not all, so if it doesn't benefit you, do not take them up on it. Congratulate yourself on a better deal you already have!

* $25 x 2persons x 15days = $750.

5 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Forgot to ask (if you don't mind).... is the commission rate (%) the same for the add-on packages as for the cruise fare?  (NOT asking the amount mind you)

Not the OP but from what I can tell - it adds the add ons to the cost of the cruise. So yes.

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2019 at 7:11 PM, caddion said:

Can anyone explain why we don’t get sales like this in Australia. I’d just be happy with a free drinks package.

I have Princess cruise planner chatting about the package to me (and yes I live in Australia)..... Will update  you if they are able to offer me anything from that promo

• Like 1

I see a number of people here saying they are light drinkers so the PBP doesn't really help them, as they couldn't possibly drink close to 15 drinks a day.  That is why I wouldn't consider buying the drink package at $70.79pp/day.  For two of us that's spending $142 per day for our drinks. No way we would do that.   But under the add on, if I get PBP and Wifi for $25/day, figure $10/day for the Wifi and $15/day for drinks.  I'm sure my bar tab and coffee tab would go past the $15 pretty much every day and we're not heavy drinkers.  So my advice to those who aren't looking at the upsell for the PBP, you might want to look at it as would you spend at least $15/day on various types of beverages (Alcohol, wine, soda, coffee, water ?)  If you would, then this upsell might just work for you.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, polmcs said:

I got to this topic late. For the question about San Pedro, sales tax and the beverage package, you will typically not be charged sales tax whilst in San Pedro if you have the package. However, if you order a drink that exceeds the $12 limit, you will be charged the delta (no issues with that as there are a few drinks I would like to try, but previously you were on the hook for the entire price) and you will be charged 18% gratuity on the delta and also 10% sales tax on the delta. We had a drink that was $13 whilst in port and the total charge was $1.28 after the PBP allowance.

As to the best ever sale, we have two cruises next year under Sip and sail, so our only option is to refare. Our HI circle fare went up about $250 over what we had previously booked, and as we had S+S, all we were getting extra was the WiFi and gratuity which on a 15 voyage is worth about $320 odd dollars. For our Tahitian cruise, the best ever fare was only $100 more than our S+S fare and the “freebies” on that 10 cruise are worth about $180, so in each case, we are only looking at $70-$80 of savings.

The downside is that my big big TA appears to have switched from OBC to a store gift card, so we’d have to pony up more whilst aboard and be committed to spending that money at the store (and the gift card amount was smaller than the OBC)

I guess I’m going to have to find a new TA for any future cruises.

I have a similar situation. I have a Jan 2021 10 day Mexico cruised booked. It was booked under the "Anniversary and Cyber sale" a few weeks ago. I was not too excited about its perks because of the "wine vouchers" and "specially dinning"; on our typical cruises we'd use neither of those. So their value is low to me.....maybe worth $60 total to us. I did like the Anniversary + Cyber cash OBC offered by our TA (not much) and by Princess (decent), and the Wifi is okay but not a deal breaker <we would use it, but not much>.

However, I have been playing with the numbers for re-faring our cruise to the BSE. Seems like MY net cost, using MY valuation of Princess' perks, would decrease about $200. Not a lot, but enough to justify my research. However, my TA insists the cruise price (over $4300 for an MD cabin) is correct, where otherwise at other TA <non-Princess websites> the prices is closer to $3800. That's $500 difference, but when I figure in the Princess "perks", the price is close to that $200.

Later today I will call the other TA ask ask for verification of their price and the perks I'd receive. If it's the price I think it is......I may have to start using a different TA; been using this guy for over 15 years, but I cannot get through to him! Frustration!

Doug

9 hours ago, steelers36 said:

On that I think you are correct.  She just doesn't beat my TA pricing.  I am going to post another query, but did you get a discount on the add-on package?

I don't know yet.  I'm in the "try again later" category as the system wouldn't let her input the codes and Princess told her that it was because our category (and that of our friends) was sold out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Oh no, I don't know how she does it!  I know she worked hard on many, many bookings today and will tomorrow too.  And the next day and day after that....  She's the hardest working person I've ever met that's for sure!

I agree!!!!!!

I just called our TA to see what kind of deal we could get to change, and it came out to $210 per person to change.  We sprang for the deal.  Sounds a lot better than the $800 when I did the mock booking.  I'm happy.

Even though I'm not a big drinker, DH likes his martinis and other drinks so it's worth it to him.  I usually order a diet Sprite so it's all good.

Edited by elliair

On 12/11/2019 at 8:40 AM, palolake said:

Just talked to our TA and she can add them on.  She hasn't yet though because she's VERY busy. For an existing booking.

I think she worked really late last night!

11 hours ago, polmcs said:

I got to this topic late. For the question about San Pedro, sales tax and the beverage package, you will typically not be charged sales tax whilst in San Pedro if you have the package. However, if you order a drink that exceeds the $12 limit, you will be charged the delta (no issues with that as there are a few drinks I would like to try, but previously you were on the hook for the entire price) and you will be charged 18% gratuity on the delta and also 10% sales tax on the delta. We had a drink that was $13 whilst in port and the total charge was $1.28 after the PBP allowance.

As to the best ever sale, we have two cruises next year under Sip and sail, so our only option is to refare. Our HI circle fare went up about $250 over what we had previously booked, and as we had S+S, all we were getting extra was the WiFi and gratuity which on a 15 voyage is worth about $320 odd dollars. For our Tahitian cruise, the best ever fare was only $100 more than our S+S fare and the “freebies” on that 10 cruise are worth about $180, so in each case, we are only looking at $70-$80 of savings.

Has Princess changed the terms of the drink package?

Last year if anything was above the $12 limit we had to pay the whole thing - not just the upcharge.

This would make a big difference to us because we like some of the more expensive wines.

I just copied this from the Princess site:

Terms and Conditions

• Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.). Alcoholic drinks requested above the daily limits are at the discretion of the shipboard management and crew and charged at regular menu prices.
  • Non-alcoholic drinks do NOT have this limitation nor do they count toward this maximum.
  • Only one beverage is allowed per passenger per order (alcoholic or non-alcoholic).
  • Items selected that exceed the $12.00 USD or $16 .00 AUD price are charged at full menu price.
  • Packages may NOT be shared, are NON-transferable and NON-refundable.
  • Shipboard management reserves the right to add additional restrictions and revoke or cancel the Premier Beverage Package at any point during a guest’s voyage for any reason with or without a prorated refund. Additional actions may be taken if guests:
    •  

As for your statement about having to re-fare because you have Sip and Sail - you don't have to re-fare - just add on the wifi and gratuities package, which I think is $25/pp/day,

Edited by chamima

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Later today I will call the other TA ask ask for verification of their price and the perks I'd receive. If it's the price I think it is......I may have to start using a different TA; been using this guy for over 15 years, but I cannot get through to him! Frustration!

It can pay to shop around!

• Like 1

Both cruises I have booked for 2021 have gone up slightly from when I reserved so no point to refare.

However adding the PBP and WiFi to my Enchanted booking at $25 retaining all the earlier perks and adding the full package at $40 to Crown with zero prior perks works for me.

I only have a couple alcoholic drinks daily and my wife rarely drinks alcohol but breaking out the beverage portion of the add on to roughly $15 pp/pd we will consume that amount just in bottled water and specialty coffee and tea.

The grats are basically prepaid up front at $15 and unlimited internet for $10 is a steal compared to what they used to charge on the old plans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I see a number of people here saying they are light drinkers so the PBP doesn't really help them, as they couldn't possibly drink close to 15 drinks a day.  That is why I wouldn't consider buying the drink package at $70.79pp/day.  For two of us that's spending $142 per day for our drinks. No way we would do that.   But under the add on, if I get PBP and Wifi for $25/day, figure $10/day for the Wifi and $15/day for drinks.  I'm sure my bar tab and coffee tab would go past the $15 pretty much every day and we're not heavy drinkers.  So my advice to those who aren't looking at the upsell for the PBP, you might want to look at it as would you spend at least $15/day on various types of beverages (Alcohol, wine, soda, coffee, water ?)  If you would, then this upsell might just work for you.

Exactly. If you get a drink in the afternoon and wine with dinner, you're ahead of the game at the $15 add on. Not counting coffee/tea in the morning.

It's so worth it to me.

We booked a 28 day LA to Tahiti under the Sip & Sail promotion in June. I had our travel agent look at repricing yesterday to see if we could get free grats, price would go up $3050 total over out S&S pricing for a Caribe balcony. Unfortunately no add ons avail under this promotion if you booked under Sip & Sail. Only option was rebook. Not feasible.  Charlie

My TA, Rebecca, has done an astounding job at refaring our Regal Princess, British Isles Cruise in July.  For very little more money, she kept all the perks from their original booking during Cyber/Anniversary week and added PBP and Gratuities. (and we didn't have to pay the $200 nonrefundable deposit)  We are very excited about this!  Thanks! 

11 minutes ago, tartana said:

My TA, Rebecca, has done an astounding job at refaring our Regal Princess, British Isles Cruise in July.  For very little more money, she kept all the perks from their original booking during Cyber/Anniversary week and added PBP and Gratuities. (and we didn't have to pay the $200 nonrefundable deposit)  We are very excited about this!  Thanks! 

That is nice for you, but you already paid a deposit with your original booking, so that was covered.  You could also have had that original booking with a RD, but perhaps you felt the risk of cancellation penalty was offset by some savings.

2 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

That is nice for you, but you already paid a deposit with your original booking, so that was covered.  You could also have had that original booking with a RD, but perhaps you felt the risk of cancellation penalty was offset by some savings.

The original booking was the $1 deposit, and she originally thought we would have to pay the $200, but we're glad we didn't in the end.  The cruise is for my senior parents who are never sure about health, etc, from day to day, so they are comfortable not having to pay a lot out this far in advance. (although they will have insurance as it gets closer and they need to pay).  I don't know a lot about all these specs - I only inquired because I was reading everyone's comments and advice on here.  It was worth it for my parents, and we're glad it's worked out the way it has. 

We had booked the November Sky repo from Brooklyn under the 3 for free sale, getting pp tips & $300 obc, & a mid ship room. Our TA called & said for $25 pp per day, we could add the drink package & wifi. Since my wife doesn’t drink, & all the OBC we have, I think I’ll save the $500 fare increase & stick with what we have, but I’ll look forward to see if any other future sailings are appealing. I’ve always found the 3 for free sale hard to beat, if the base fare is reasonable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

The add-ons get included in the fare price so this makes them commissionable. A great example for me is that I have 2 clients booked on Discovery Princess in 2022. They have very specific rooms booked and have no desire to change them. They booked without any promos other than a group OBC from my company ($50 per room). I was able to refare (NOT add-on) for the exact same price for one client - she is paying the same but now getting the drinks/grats/wifi. Had I done this as an add-on, that extra charge would be included in my commission. On the flip side, the other client is in a category that is currently sold out. I believe that I am unable to refare and get the amenities added at the the same price BUT will call Princess tomorrow and see if I can do them as an add-on....in which case I stand to make a little more in commission. Hope this makes sense....

Thank you for your example! We have a 32 day cruise booked on the Discovery in 2022 that we thought wasn't included in this promotion as there was no "Sale" noted when we looked it up. But after reading you above comment, we went back and did a fake booking and sure enough, there it was. Our upcharge was $470 pp, but for a M1 cabin for 32 days, the free gratuities perk pretty much consumed most of that! Thanks for sharing!! 👍👍

Edited by Ken the cruiser

29 minutes ago, cjmayes51 said:

We booked a 28 day LA to Tahiti under the Sip & Sail promotion in June. I had our travel agent look at repricing yesterday to see if we could get free grats, price would go up $3050 total over out S&S pricing for a Caribe balcony. Unfortunately no add ons avail under this promotion if you booked under Sip & Sail. Only option was rebook. Not feasible.  Charlie

The big advantage of the add-ons is the discounted price for the beverage package. If you have Sip & Sail, an add-on for Internet and gratuities, particularly if it were to be $25pp/day as I believe someone briefly saw, would likely cost you more. Gratuities are $14.50 to $16.50 pp/day and Internet, for cruises 7 days or longer on MedallionNet ships, will not cost more than $10/day or $7.50/day if Platinum or Elite. So for most people, that will come to less than $25pp/day. 

6 hours ago, lpops said:

We are currently booked on a January 2021 15 day cruise.  We have a balcony stateroom on the Lido deck for which we paid $2399.00 per person.  Included in the fare were $200 OBC and Prepaid Gratuities valued at $217.50 per person.  The effective rate for the room is $1981.00.

Not sure I agree with your logic of discounting the Pre Paid gratuities form the rate for the room. Taking OBC off the room rate makes sense, but only if you would have spent the $200 anyway. But for example if the room cost $1000 and Princess says, 'You do not have to pay the $100 we usually charge',  then the room cost is $1,000 not $900. I mention this simply because comparing offers requires accurately juggling numbers.

Notwithstanding this, I follow and agree with your logic.