Suite guests in Blu - enough!

phoenix_dream

We have been in a Suites and on two out of 3 occasions  been told that we could not dine in Blu as they were full.  On the other hand we have been in Blu and seen the MaitreD turn away Suite guests arriving around 8:15  telling them that he could accommodate them around 9 if they would like to return.

Our experience in Blu on the Reflection  (3x) has that it was crowded, slower service and waits to be seated to a extent we haven’t seen on the other ships. 

A good MaitreD who has the backing of the Hotel Director when Suite guests complain can solve the problem.  

• Like 1

We mostly sail in AQ but we eat very early (first in line) so we have never experienced what Phoenix has said, but I do see how it can happen at so-called "peak" times.

We sailed once in a suite and honestly liked our old Blu menu more than anything we had in Luminae (not that it was too fancy, or not fancy enough, it just didn't click with us like the Blu menu has).  But we specifically did not go back to Blu that week because it was our first suite and we wanted to give Luminae a full week's chance.

I completely agree that whatever dining room is assigned to your cabin type should be the one where you take your dinners.

Perhaps give suite passengers the Blu menu in Luminae, and let them choose the Blu food, just not let them take up space in Blu.

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

I fully agree with the OP.....but clearly suite guests can walk on water so the chances of a maitre d actually telling a suite guest that they have to wait is very unlikely to happen.  We only book Aqua on M-class ships because we like the rear facing cabins on deck 11....we actually prefer 1A's on S-class ships and find that the food/service in the MDR is as good as aqua....and often there is less wait since we book reservations for every night which you can't do in Blu.  

IMHO, Celebrity is making a marketing mistake by not allowing aqua passengers to even try luminae.  If it's as good as Celebrity would like us to think it is, then maybe it would sway us to book a suite.  We'll just never know. 

I do enjoy your ‘down to earth’ comments!

It must be hard for a M’D to tell a suite guest to ‘go away’...I honestly think that if the number of suite guests accessing Blu on Reflection (or any other ship) is an issue then perhaps someone higher up the ladder should be looking at the system...

I totally agree X is missing a marketing error by not allowing Aqua guests to have a taste of the suite life...I am sure that something could be sorted...perhaps a ‘perk’....5+? Aqua cruises and you have the option one evening to try Luminae either free or at a minimal cost...If you had to prebook your visit the Luminae M’D could ensure it is outside their busiest times...

• Like 1

At least X handles their suites only Luminae, differently than HAL's answer, Club Orange. Last Year HAL introduced the new Club Orange (CO) as the answer to Celebrity's Blu and Luminae dinning. With the exception of the 3 new Pinnacle class ships, CO is only a roped off area in the 1st floor of the MDR. The current 3 Pinnacle Class ships CO have a  exclusive private CO dinning room. CO has the same MDR menu with one or two added "special" entrees. For all Neptune Suite passengers CO is included in the fare, however anyone else no matter what class of booking can purchase CO for $35pppd on non Pinnacle ships and $50pppd on all other ships.  Supposedly HAL says they limit the number of CO's sold on any cruise, but I have not seen on their boards that anyone was refused the upgrade. This makes CO nothing special and for us was the biggest reason we are leaving HAL after 10 years and doing a Infinity AQ Class cruise next year. CO does have some other added "perks" like a private line for guest relations, a free one category cabin upgrade (if available), priority tender use and a bottle of sparkling wine on embarkation, all hardly worth the extra cost IMHO. HAL Neptune suite passengers lost the one nice perk of breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast in the CO dining room or area.

Edited by terrydtx

We've had 4 cruises thus far on X.  We've only booked AQ because my friend told me that Blu was amazing.  I remember my first cruise was 2013 and I was more impressed by Blu then vs. my last cruise in Sept 2019.  Our next cruise this year( Dec) will be our first Suite experience.  I have to admit, if the menu in Luminae doesn't appeal to us, we might check out Blu, depending on the menu.  We also eat early( as soon as Blu opens) so space has never been an issue for us.  We're usually seated by a window.   If you're paying big bucks for a Suite, it makes sense that you'd be allowed to dine in Blu since its a step up from MDR.   As an AQ guest, I would not expect to be allowed to dine in Luminae.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadandugly said:

Isn't AQ more expensive than suites? That is probably your answer. Why tempt a top-paying customer to pay less next time in downgrading to a suite.

Not even close.  Suites are significantly higher on most cruises.

• Like 5

We have been in a suite on our last two cruises, the last in a Royal Suite, both on the Summit.  I realize the locations of kitchens but we ordered meals from Blu.  Why not just set that up on all ships as an alternative.   Ambience is about the same so don't see it as a big deal.   We just used the app, it was great. 

Phoenix Dream

Should point out the reason suite passengers can eat in Blu goes back to when Blu was first introduced on the Solstice.   Suite passengers at first were not allowed to eat in Blu and they complained they were paying more money, why can't we eat there.   Right or wrong Celebrity then allowed them to eat in Blu for a $5pp charge.   Eventually, the charge was removed but it was a carry over when Luminae came into being that suite passengers were allowed to eat Blu.  

Edited by dkjretired

7 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

Suites already HAVE a step up from the MDR in Luminae, why should they have 2 choices to the detriment of those who book and pay for AQ?

I posted the reason in post # 35 which was posted as the same time as yours, whether right or wrong, up to Celebrity to change it. 

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

they were allowed to order off the MDR menu

FWIW, we've sailed in Aqua multiple times on Summit and Constellation. I've always been able to order off the regular MDR menu when I've asked if nothing caught my eye on the Blu menu that night. We have our first sailing on Equinox this coming fall - I'll be curious to see if they say we can't order off of the MDR menu in Blu? 

8 minutes ago, FlyingAnchor said:

FWIW, we've sailed in Aqua multiple times on Summit and Constellation. I've always been able to order off the regular MDR menu when I've asked if nothing caught my eye on the Blu menu that night. We have our first sailing on Equinox this coming fall - I'll be curious to see if they say we can't order off of the MDR menu in Blu? 

We have sailed mostly in suites until recently when we are booking in AQ.   We rarely have eaten in Blu but did try it to determine if it was acceptable.   Happy to say we enjoyed it.   We have now had 3 cruises in AQ and have never seen delays in being seated.   We are late diners (9:00 PM or later if possible) so that could be the reason.

Our experience is that on ALL ships EXCEPT Edge you can order from both the Luminae, MDR and Children's Menu.  Also when dining in Blu you are also able to order of the MDR and Children's Menu.   A couple of years back they also allowed Luminae to order off the Blu menu -   maybe that is a quick solution.    If Suite guests could also order off the Blu menu there would be less demand for them going to Blu. 

Having said that if those in Blu that want to ban Suite guests from dining in Blu maybe Celebrity should also ban Blu passengers from dining in MDR even if they have friends or family not in Blu.  Since AQ is only 2x per room I'm sure there are many AQ guests that also dine in MDR.     Fair is Fair. 

While we usually sail in Suites, we have never dined in Blu.  I might be in the minority, but I just don't find the menu appealing.  I usually find things to eat off the Luminae menu, but if I don't, I always have the choice of the MDR menu.  We will also dine in specialty depending on the number of cruise nights just to break up the monotony of eating in the same place.  Maybe Blu is more crowded on Reflection with Suite pax based on the increase in cabins.  They added ALOT of suite cabins, and Luminae is just not big enough to handle it.

We've only been in Blu twice for a Muster and arrived before many others did.  While seated, before it was packed and standing room left, DH commented that Blu tables seemed too close together and felt too cramped for him.  I think everyone should eat in their assigned dining room and that's it.  Before the days of Blu and Luminae, it was the MDR and that's it.

Why someone in Luminae would want to eat in Blu I don' know.  Maybe something different and there's no extra charge.  I'm sorry but Luminae is your dining room.  Order off the MDR menu if there isn't anything you prefer or eat in Specialty or the Oceanview.  That's how we treat it.

I could also argue that it bothers me when suite pax bring guests into Luminae.  Yes, they are charged, but I don't think it's right either.  We pay for Luminae for the small, quiet and intimate atmosphere.  My main draw for booking a suite.  I hate when there are large groups making it quite noisy and unenjoyable.  I feel your pain.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hcat said:

So do you need to  reserve  dinner times in Luminae...as opposed to no res taken  in BLU?    5:30 or 6:00 is good for us  but much later than that will mess up my Type 2 meal plan.    We have abandoned AQ Class for our next few cruises..so we'll see what happens.

Luminae is technically "anytime" dining but they do allow you to request times through the suite concierge or the maitre d'.  I don't have a current cruise booked to see if you can do it online now.  When we got on the ship, the only times available were either very early or very late every night of the cruise. If you go when it opens, I think it's less of an issue, but of course that can depend on who else is sailing on the ship with you.

Just for kicks...I perused both menus just now.  Both seem nice.  I do not understand why someone would go to a particular restaurant knowing they are going to order "off menu"...thus slowing down everyone's else's dinner....

I agree on the AQ guests eat in Blu and the Suite guest eat in Luminea...MDR/Buffet is open to everyone.  

All this as I ponder an upgrade bid on an upcoming Edge cruise.  I'm not sure I want the Aqua mainly because I do not like feeling like I need to eat in Blu all the time to justify the uncharge.  I know some people really enjoy this aspect of cruising....

Choices...

Sail on.  

I haven’t read the entire thread so this may have been covered. I’m not a current Aqua or Suite booker, but I’d recommend that Suite guests not be allowed into Aqua. If Suite guests want something other than Lumina then they should go to main or a specialty dining. Blu is for Aqua.

I did try Aqua but found the menu not to be that much better (for me obviously) and I found it to be very noisy and had to wait in line. Main dining menu was fine for me, I had an assigned table, didn’t wait and it wasn’t as noisy. 

The menu opinion is subjective, but removing Suite guests from Blu would fix the two other issues I had which aren't minor. Why pay extra for a noisy, crowded dining experience you get to stand in line or wait for an extended time for with a buzzer? I stay away from those restaurants at home so why pay extra for that experience. 

Den

• Like 1

So many good points posted.  We usually book AQ and I also want Suite guests to eat in their own restaurant instead of crowding Blu.  If Blu is half empty and suite guests are seated then, how does the Maitre'D predict how it will be in another 15 mins?  A lot of Blu guests could arrive simultaneously and then they have to wait.  We are early diners and on Summit in Oct, the opening of Blu was pushed back to 5:15 or 5:00 (can't remember which).  This was inconvenient as it collided with the Captains Club party hours.  It is usually 5:45 and if you arrive about 5:40, there is a line up every night, waiting for the doors to open.

Yes, the tables are too close but maybe that could be rectified if suite guests ate in Luminae.

One last thought, we were in a suite once and then AQ on a B2B2B.  When we returned to Blu, we thought we had come home.  We like Blu way more than Luminae.  Also, we NEVER order off another menu.  I would feel guilty making those poor overworked servers run to another kitchen.  Yes, I know the MDR kitchen is close on M class but we usually sail S class.

We are past final payment on our next cruise and suites are now much less than we paid for AQ, so don't let me see a suite person being seated before me!!!

Come on Celebrity stop kowtowing to the suite people.  They are not the only passengers on your ship.

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

At least X handles their suites only Luminae, differently than HAL's answer, Club Orange. Last Year HAL introduced the new Club Orange (CO) as the answer to Celebrity's Blu and Luminae dinning. With the exception of the 3 new Pinnacle class ships, CO is only a roped off area in the 1st floor of the MDR. The current 3 Pinnacle Class ships CO have a  exclusive private CO dinning room. CO has the same MDR menu with one or two added "special" entrees. For all Neptune Suite passengers CO is included in the fare, however anyone else no matter what class of booking can purchase CO for $35pppd on non Pinnacle ships and $50pppd on all other ships.  Supposedly HAL says they limit the number of CO's sold on any cruise, but I have not seen on their boards that anyone was refused the upgrade. This makes CO nothing special and for us was the biggest reason we are leaving HAL after 10 years and doing a Infinity AQ Class cruise next year. CO does have some other added "perks" like a private line for guest relations, a free one category cabin upgrade (if available), priority tender use and a bottle of sparkling wine on embarkation, all hardly worth the extra cost IMHO. HAL Neptune suite passengers lost the one nice perk of breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast in the CO dining room or area.

Quite a bit of this is inaccurate.  The two big ones are that they do not rope off a section of the dining room (Princess does, but not HAL) and Neptune guests can still use the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast on the ships that don't have the dedicated Club Orange restaurant (which is on only 2 out of a fleet of 15 ships).  The reviews for the 2 ships that have the Club Orange restaurant have been very positive.  The same menu is served for breakfast in whichever venue you eat.  

Celebrity has a much better suite class product in that it includes a lot of stuff.  However, Celebrity's prices are generally much higher as a result, even if you opt for a bare bones fare.  I've done Neptune on HAL for less than half the cost of an equivalent Celebrity trip. Celebrity also has plenty of ability for you to pay more & get more, so that is not unique to HAL.  "The grass is always greener" as they say.

• Like 1

On the M Class ships the MDR, Blu & Luminae kitchens are all in the same location  we have been able to choose from the MDR or Blu menu when in a Suite and when in AQ we have had the choice of the Blu or MDR menus.   So menu likes/dislikes shouldn't  be a reason for Suite Guests to dine in Blu or the MDR on M Class ships.

On the S Class the Luminae and MDR kitchens are together so no problem ordering off the MDR menu when in Luminae.

However the Blu kitchen is on Deck 5 aft while the MDR/ Luminae kitchen is on Deck 2 mid ship. So bringing meals from Blu to Luminae or the MDR to Blu requires someone leaving the dining room going the length of half the ship up or down 3 flights to pick up a dinner and then back.  This delays service to others while the waiter or assistant  leaves their station to pick up a meal.

It has been done but not often that I have seen. 

A few years ago Blu started offering some of the most frequently requested from items from the MDR in Blu, French onion soup, shrimp cocktail, escargot, caeser salad, French fries, baked potato come to mind.

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

A few years ago Blu started offering some of the most frequently requested from items from the MDR in Blu, French onion soup, shrimp cocktail, escargot, caeser salad, French fries, baked potato come to mind.

Good point.  I believe they are now offering Eggs Benedict also.  However, DH ordered it and 2 days in a row on Eclipse, it came cold!  We have stopped eating breakfast in Blu.

25 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Quite a bit of this is inaccurate.  The two big ones are that they do not rope off a section of the dining room (Princess does, but not HAL) and Neptune guests can still use the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast on the ships that don't have the dedicated Club Orange restaurant (which is on only 2 out of a fleet of 15 ships).  The reviews for the 2 ships that have the Club Orange restaurant have been very positive.  The same menu is served for breakfast in whichever venue you eat.  

My information is correct, while on the Noordam last July, the Hotel manager had a discussion on the CO conversion for non Pinnacle class ships and said that all non Pinnacle class ships would be adding CO by October 2019 with an area in the MDR having a roped off area for only CO guests. I believe that 9 HAL ships had already done this prior to last September.  He also said that Neptune suites would lose the PG breakfast when the ships were converted over to CO. The third Pinnacle ship the Rydam will have the dedicated CO dining room when launched in May next year.

Here is a link for HAL explaining the CO roil out schedule;

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/2019-press-releases/news-20190911-ClubOrangeExpand19.html

One thing I see in this link is the prices have dropped from original quotes to $35pppd on Pinnacle and $25pppd all other ships, which tells me it is not as popular as HAL states..

Edited by terrydtx

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Maybe this is the way forward, get Blu guests to book a time!

Last time we sailed in AQ, we always did let Blu know when to expect us. We're cruising AQ on Apex in April. Will that not be possible any more?

1 hour ago, FlyingAnchor said:

On M class, the MDR and Blu share the same kitchen.  On S class the MDR is in a completely different, not convenient place.  Totally different scenario.