Men's dress code

travelmama06

Shorts at breakfast or lunch yes.  Dinner is smart casual most nights so long pants, dockers. Khaki and a golf shirt, long sleeve shirt are fine.  No formal nights but rather Evening Chic.  The X website has a good description of tge dress code.

13 minutes ago, travelmama06 said:

Are men allowed to wear dressy shorts and golf shirts in main dining room and or specialty restaurants?

Jelayne has a good description but please go to the Celebrity website. Shorts are not considered dressy on board.

6 hours ago, az_tchr said:

Jelayne has a good description but please go to the Celebrity website. Shorts are not considered dressy on board.

Shorts are not allowed in any of the restaurants except the buffet.  You will be asked to return to your room and change.  

This is the dress code but over the last couple of years I have seen people go to specialty, mdr, and blu with shorts on. Even chic nights. It is up to maitre dei in each dining room to challenge person. I would not do shorts but anything else goes, just sit in ensemble lounge one evening at 5pm and watch what people try and wear, it is amazing. 

• Like 1

On our last Celebrity cruise (5 nightery), hubby wore shorts to dinner every night.  He only wanted to bring a carry on for luggage and this is what worked.  Nice shorts and collared shirts/polo/Hawaiian shirt and no one stopped him, main dining room or specialty restaurants.  I have to say, he still looked better than a lot of men we saw.  I saw cut off shorts, t-shirts of all kinds and conditions, etc.  We had decided before hand that, if he was stopped, we would just go up to buffet .  

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Shorts are not allowed in any of the restaurants except the buffet.  You will be asked to return to your room and change.  

Just came off the Equinox on 2/1 after week long cruise. For the first time, I saw men in shorts, in the MDR, EVERY night during dinner. None were refused entry into the MDR.

• Like 1

Celebrity is more lax on Caribbean cruises than on most others....so you may find shorts in the MDR at dinner on those cruises.  Otherwise, you do run the risk of being refused.  I am not aware of anyone being refused entrance because they were wearing a golf shirt....long Khaki/chino/etc pants and a golf shirt with a collar should not be a problem on any Celebrity cruise,

It's the height of arrogance to see what you can get away with when everyone else is following the rules.  If you see people regularly wearing shorts in the dining room, you should complain to the hotel director while on the ship.  It's one thing if they're letting people whose luggage is missing in.  Quite another if they're just ignoring the rules because they don't want to say anything.

• Like 7

Breakfast and Lunch - Okay

Dinner - Not Okay, except for first night as some people don't have their luggage yet.

That said, I havn't seen any get turned away in the past couple of years and wouldn't care if someone does. Hey, if the ladies can wear skirts and show off their sexy legs, so should your husband!

36 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

It's the height of arrogance to see what you can get away with when everyone else is following the rules.  If you see people regularly wearing shorts in the dining room, you should complain to the hotel director while on the ship.  It's one thing if they're letting people whose luggage is missing in.  Quite another if they're just ignoring the rules because they don't want to say anything.

Agree.

Also, once you start allowing "dress shorts", short shorts are sure to follow...and then you're Carnival.

Look at what has happened with "Designer jeans" on chic nights. Now torn jeans are allowed, bib overalls are allowed.

Beware the slippery slope.

37 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

" It's the height of arrogance to see what you can get away with when everyone else is following the rules "

Bang On !!!  Where I come from it's called " Entitlement " -- So, what are they trying to prove ? That THEY are more important and privileged  and can do whatever they want ?  Who cares who the hell you are ?  Why put the staff in a difficult position ?  

Also, why would a man not bring a pair of pants on a cruise ? Is it so hard to wear them to a dining room and not look out of place in probably the same shorts he wore all day ?  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, travelmama06 said:

Are men allowed to wear dressy shorts and golf shirts in main dining room and or specialty restaurants?

Not according to Celebrity's published dress guidelines for the dining venues in the evening.  The following is your guidance and what you should go by. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/during-your-cruise/onboard-dress-code

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, travelmama06 said:

That's an absolutely NO.     The only exception I have see was a  cruise to Bermuda where they allowed Bermuda Shorts as long as they were Bermuda Dress Shorts accompanied by the Dress Coat and Tie. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dkjretired said:

In general that is right. But I've eaten lunch a number of times at The Porch and worn shorts. I did ask Lawn Club Grill if I can wear shorts at dinner. They said yes. In the end I worn long pants at LCG.

2 hours ago, bookitdanno said:

Agree.

Also, once you start allowing "dress shorts", short shorts are sure to follow...and then you're Carnival.

Look at what has happened with "Designer jeans" on chic nights. Now torn jeans are allowed, bib overalls are allowed.

or NCL . ive worn shorts in haven restaurant. only place they arent allowed is 2 of the specialties in the evening and even the one i was outside eating on deck and they were ok there. yet you have people on the ncl board tell people you may not wear them in MDR which is a total lie. it's in the NCL terms you can. problem is no one copies and pastes the rules. they make up their own. which is why i think every question about dress should be referred to the cruise lines own site. 

To the question, are men allowed to wear shorts to the dining room for dinner, the answer is no.  To the question do men were shorts to the dining room the answer is yes.  Having packed for our recent cruise aboard the Summit in accordance to what we read, we were really taken back at what some passengers were wearing.  We saw passengers who would not be allowed in any restaurant dressed as such.  But to be fair, we have to acknowledge that one of the three week stents was the Super Bowl and can leave that to your imagination.  While the majority of men dressed in trousers, there were may who wished to push the envelope so to speak, represented in part by those who felt it was acceptable to holler across two or three tables to friends.  An eye opener.

6 hours ago, mduffy1834 said:

On our last Celebrity cruise (5 nightery), hubby wore shorts to dinner every night.  He only wanted to bring a carry on for luggage and this is what worked.  Nice shorts and collared shirts/polo/Hawaiian shirt and no one stopped him, main dining room or specialty restaurants.  I have to say, he still looked better than a lot of men we saw.  I saw cut off shorts, t-shirts of all kinds and conditions, etc.  We had decided before hand that, if he was stopped, we would just go up to buffet .  

Shorts in MDR at dinner - I was sent away. Arrived very late from a shore excursion. They nicely explained the rule. They did allow me to enter the MDR la.te

4 hours ago, bookitdanno said:

Agree.

Very disappointing news..

They can do the men's hairy leg contest for dessert time!

C'mon men ... please dress in big boy pants for dinner other than at the buffet!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jelayne said:

Maybe because we rarely sail in the Caribbean our experience is different but we have seen men in shorts turned away from the MDR and Blu.  

We sailed on the reflection in March last year and there was a guy wearing pretty shabby shorts and t shirts in Blu every night. He looked just slightly better thana homeless person.  We were thinking maybe they lost thier luggage.