Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Just last friday I had a client under contract to buy house for $1 million and list price was $850k, house only appraised for $900k.  He's going to let everyone know tomorrow whether he will proceed and close this week or walk.

This is why we pushed so hard to have our buyer fully cover any appraisal gap.  If the appraisal comes in below the offer price, and the buyer does not have enough cash to cover the difference, they can usually walk due to the financing contingency.  That's often 3-4 weeks after the offer has been signed so the house has been off the market that long, many (most?) of the other offers that you receive have already moved on to another house, and you're starting the process all over again.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Phew. Our house is now under contract. 

Congratulations.

I bet you are very relieved that soon as all the paperwork is done, it is only a great memory. 

Enjoy

• Like 1

Only a few jobs today on this Canadian Holiday Monday for me.  I have to locate and dig the top off of my mom’s septic tank. Tomorrow all three tanks are getting pumped. Crappy job, but better than the alternative.

Yesterday Lisa and I got some buttermilk fried chicken for dinner after I did some work around the farm.  It had a maple aioli. After dinner we enjoyed watching the Leafs in game 2.  We would have liked the Oilers to have won as well, but alas the Winnipeg Jets have appeared to have shot Edmonton down. 

We booked Owen’s shot yesterday. It just opened for 12-18 year olds in our area. He goes Monday May 31st. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 11

12 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Omg I forgot about fuzzy wallpaper.  My Nana (grandma) had that in her bedroom and hallway, I hear it's a bigger to remove.

After being on the walls for over 50 years came down pretty easily. I peeled off a few small pieces to show my brother. It was disgusting, so we reminisced , threw it away and felt like we had to sanitize everything it came into contact with.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jingerwoppy said:

Decided to venture out to Walmart and but some slip-on shoes to only wear outside so I don't track dirt in the house and make the wood floors look bad. Wife thought it was worth it.

Howdy to another Texan! My husband always had a pair of shoes by the door to change when he came into the house.  I just threw mine off and went barefoot.  Now in an apt., we don't worry.  By the time we reach our apt., whatever dirt was on the bottom of our shoes is gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

This is why we pushed so hard to have our buyer fully cover any appraisal gap.  If the appraisal comes in below the offer price, and the buyer does not have enough cash to cover the difference, they can usually walk due to the financing contingency.  That's often 3-4 weeks after the offer has been signed so the house has been off the market that long, many (most?) of the other offers that you receive have already moved on to another house, and you're starting the process all over again.

Congratulations.  I remember how stressful it was selling our houses.  Even with mortgage approval there still was quite a wait.

14 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

All 4 wanted the house badly and kept upping their offer.

Excellent news, Bob, happy for you !!

Just curious, since your "system" in the US is so much different from here -- you had 4 offers, I assume all of them with same "conditions" and same amount?

What does your agent say? She goes back to their agent and says: "if you add 2K, the house is yours"? Someone goes the right of "first refusal"?

In short -- how does the "upping the offer" works 😁

Yesterday, on our travel to Lake Erie, we had to stop at Hank’s again for some frozen custard, hot fudge sundaes.  We can’t seem to drive by without stopping.  

So one of the things they do every year, is to see how far people travel there by listing state license plates as they appear in their lot.  Not bad that they had 36 in the one month they have been open. 

101C82C2-52FA-4684-97D1-48D79B5CA4F0.thumb.jpeg.0981ff26177123868d0022241dcaac17.jpeg

Only 15 to go!!!  I know, I was confused too!  Then I saw that they listed DC.  In past years, they have had the Canadian provinces listed but they need the border open to get them this year. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Excellent news, Bob, happy for you !!

Just curious, since your "system" in the US is so much different from here -- you had 4 offers, I assume all of them with same "conditions" and same amount?

What does your agent say? She goes back to their agent and says: "if you add 2K, the house is yours"? Someone goes the right of "first refusal"?

In short -- how does the "upping the offer" works 😁

My friend has been trying to buy a house.  So far she has "bid" on 4 and lost them all.  The way it is working here is that if you are interested in a home you will have until a certain time (say tomorrow at 4 p.m.) to give your best offer.  Most people are going way above the list price and offering things like paying any difference between what it will appraise at and what they offer.  Some offers will have no inspection needed (buying as is) or an inspection for information only (the seller would not have to fix or adjust the price).  So a seller may get many offers of different amounts with different conditions and can choose what works best for them.  When we sold our house one couple wrote a nice note and included pictures (we did not take their offer although part of me wanted to)  instead going with the highest amount.  Before it got crazy the way if would work is there would be a sales price, an interested buyer would offer a lower amount and conditions, the seller would counter with a slightly lower amount and different conditions until they either agreed or the buyer walked away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Keksie said:

My friend has been trying to buy a house.  So far she has "bid" on 4 and lost them all.  The way it is working here is that if you are interested in a home you will have until a certain time (say tomorrow at 4 p.m.) to give your best offer.  Most people are going way above the list price and offering things like paying any difference between what it will appraise at and what they offer.  Some offers will have no inspection needed (buying as is) or an inspection for information only (the seller would not have to fix or adjust the price).  So a seller may get many offers of different amounts with different conditions and can choose what works best for them.  When we sold our house one couple wrote a nice note and included pictures (we did not take their offer although part of me wanted to)  instead going with the highest amount.  Before it got crazy the way if would work is there would be a sales price, an interested buyer would offer a lower amount and conditions, the seller would counter with a slightly lower amount and different conditions until they either agreed or the buyer walked away. 

I feel sorry for people who currently do not own a home and are looking to buy . 

• Like 1

We called at a retail park this morning and went to McDonald's but they were closed.

Animal rights activists had stopped delivery trucks leaving their distribution depots so we went home for lunch.

After lunch we went to the beach for an hour then to the eye hospital.

The consultant was delighted with the results of my eye op and has put me on the list hopefully 2 months for a cataract op on my other eye.

Hope everyone is well.

Graham.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Yes, appraisers are very busy people these days.    Most orders are taking 3 weeks to be processed.      Now the fun begins with emptying the house.      When I cleaned out my Nana's home we sent a lot of stuff to Green Drop/Purple Heart and Habitat for Humanity came and picked up various pieces of the furniture.     

Our scientists have been experimenting with  Covid Sniffer Dogs and the dogs have detected 90% of covid positive cases taking odours off donors socks and face masks.

The dogs would be excellent for testing passengers getting on and  off planes and cruise ships in a very short time.

• Like 5