Do you even want to cruise again?

crusinbanjo

We are still looking forward to cruising and will wait to see what that looks like once things have progressed more.  To us, wearing masks and not having a "serve yourself buffet" is more what the new normal will be like at least until vaccines have been made available and medicine can handle successfully, the more extreme cases.  HAL has served guests in the buffets for quite a while now and I find it much more appetizing (we've seen some pretty awful things guests have done in the buffet line).  Entertainment can be handled by adding extra shows so the density of the audience is lessened.  Spas, nail and hair salons have just opened here yesterday.  I imagine by the time cruises begin, they will have protocols in place for these areas.  But, all in all, we will be ready when the cruise industry is ready to open safely.  I am confident that they will figure it out.

• Like 4

I want to cruise again.  It won't be until I know exactly what the cruise experience will be and how the cruise lines will deal with an outbreak onboard.  I need to know what I am paying for and how safe I will be on the cruise.  Part of that safety also involves knowing that I will be able to safely disembark at the end of the cruise.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

knowing that I will be able to safely disembark at the end of the cruise.

My number one priority!  I got the feeling this was essentially a PAC offshoot.

Roy

• Like 4

We are doing everything we can to cruise again, although so far it's been book, cancel, change, cancel.  Cruising is a risk, as was the week-long business trip that had to be made last week.  We get so much joy from being at sea that we are willing to accept distancing and different ways of interacting.

At this point, 2020 plans of course are gone.  We have 3 booked for 2021, and one for 2022.  Do we think all will sail as described?  Nope.  But we hope something will.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

This was a weird website.  Too many political ads.  I wouldn’t give it any credence.

Ditto.  Their FB page tells it all.  Very political.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

and how the cruise lines will deal with an outbreak onboard.

For me this is the biggest question of how the new normal would look.

We've seen some clues for how some things will differ,  but I haven't seen anything about managing outbreaks on board.   

Its a deal-breaker for alot of people.

Edited by JRG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

This was a weird website.  Too many political ads.  I wouldn’t give it any credence.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I got the feeling this was essentially a PAC offshoot.

I didn't see any political ads at all when I read the article.  But when I investigated further, on the FB page, and their "about" blurb, my heart was saddened 😞

edited to add:  I don't think that webpage is a reliable source

Edited by VennDiagram
  • Like 2

I didn't read the link but to answer your question I can take it or leave it.  Before the COVID the cruise experience in our opinion was diminishing.  With that said, we have 4 cruises currently booked, one Princess(4/21), and three Celebrity(10/21, 12/21, 3/22).  It remains to be seen whether we will take the cruises.

2 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Interesting article Make me think twice.  Before I book that next cruise, I'll need to know what the new normal is going to look like.

https://proudamericantraveler.com/will-cruise-customers-say-no-thanks-to-the-new-normal/

Government officials can screw up one car funeral. They should NOT be telling us how to do things and yes, I hope to cruise again.

No, not interested in cruising in the future.

There was a real cheapening of the cruise product before the virus and that turned me, and many others, off.

So because of this, I really have no desire to spend much on a cruise. I was not pleased with cruising before hand and frankly have no evidence since the virus that redeems the cruise lines in my mind. 

I am however, most interested in land tours and renting vacation homes.

YES, YES, YES we want to cruise again and sooner than later.  We have cruised a great deal including times with an outbreak of the Norovirus and back In March as the Covid-19 ramped up causing the cruise industry to take a "long pause."  We were unsure if we would be able to get off the ship in San Diego on 3/19, but it worked.  (Of course, thinks got much worse after that.)  During those times the wonderful HAL Crew worked long and hard to keep everyone healthy and safe!!!  We can handle any restrictions & changes for health's sake on the ship and yes, we are both over that magic age of 65 with very few medical conditions. So far this year we have been effected by cancellations of 8 cruises on different lines.  HAL being our favorite, but we do go on Disney & Royal Caribbean with a daughter, her husband, and kids.  We are currently anxiously waiting to see what happens with a Disney cruise on 9/24-29 & Royal cruise on 11/23-27.  

• Like 2

I'll just wait and see. I would like to go back to cruising but given so much uncertainty right now I am just praying I get the refund for this year's cancelled cruise and call it a day. As for next year, I will wait it out and see what will happen - Which lines are still around, what protocols will one have to go through, what destinations are available? I'm looking at land travel. I think one thing is certain - the longer this goes on the less certain the 2021 cruises are as currently advertised. This year is a complete write off.

• Like 1

I think like everyone else we will have to see what the future of cruising looks like. I know closing the pools would be the end for us as DW could not live without the pool. I would like to know if trivia still existed and also the buffets, though having experienced HAL's served buffet that would be fine with me.

Also ports are important to us, the reason we choose a cruise. What will happen with port stops, who knows? We would not be interested in a cruise to nowhere or having only private islands.

5 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Interesting article Make me think twice.  Before I book that next cruise, I'll need to know what the new normal is going to look like.

https://proudamericantraveler.com/will-cruise-customers-say-no-thanks-to-the-new-normal/

No Pool, no problem, never why I cruised

No buffet no problem sit down was always the highlight for all three meals and snackes

No mask, not a problem, I wear a mask when I go to gym, supermarket, out for a walk anywhere public.  The air is fresh, filtered.

As long as I can disembark and arent' surrounded by a bunch of selfish non-mask folks, I'm good

• Like 1

I'm getting used to wearing a Face Mask.  I've been on several cruises where the Buffet Line was shut due to Norovirus.  So, those two things don't bother me. 

What DOES concern me is -- Will the destination country allow me to disembark?  I cruise to visit places I have not been before and only need to unpack once.

I moved a 2020 cruise to 2021 and have booked a second cruise for 2021.  So, do i plan to cruise again?  YES!

• Like 1

Yes. 

But we have no intention of booking a cruise, giving any cruise line a dime of our money, or playing book, rebook, FCC, deposit/book games until we feel confident that it is a safe from a health perspective, until we know what the on board environment is like, until we know with a degree of certainty what the actual itinerary will be, and until we have read some post covid cruise reviews/comments on this forum.   Social distancing and wearing masks will keep us away from cruising.

Until then we will carry on with alternate plans. Lots of other choices.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1