CLIA cruise lines to test every passenger for Covid

C-Dragons

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

With all the false positives you hear about, this is going to be a nightmare for some people. Denied boarding, not sick at all.  What a cluster. 

What would you recommend that the cruise lines do to minimize that possibly infected passenger board?  

4 minutes ago, jelayne said:

What would you recommend that the cruise lines do to minimize that possibly infected passenger board?  

The OP'S original article is sort of old news.  Royal/NCL proposed a double test for passengers and double test plus quaranteen for crew.  The meeting between the White House and cruiselines was supposed to start about an hour ago.  Should know soon.

Jelayne - those not comfortable with whatever rules are in place when cruising resumes will simply stay home.  The biggest issue with false positives will be before travel to the cruise.  The biggest problem is with false negatives.  Two false results several days apart should cut those issues, but it will be a complication.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I don’t have the answers, just pointing out that false positives are a very real thing...IF I had zero symptoms and was tested positive, I would be very leery of the accuracy myself..YMMV. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

57 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I don’t have the answers, just pointing out that false positives are a very real thing...IF I had zero symptoms and was tested positive, I would be very leery of the accuracy myself..YMMV. 

Yes, I think of our governor who tested + and was denied access to a very important event. That evening- with a better, more accurate test, he was negative. Never did have the virus.

Conversely, false negatives could be far more disastrous! 

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

This was expected.  Waiting to see about testing requirements 3-5 days before arrival for check-in.

Many Open questions....

Do we try and get a test at home before the cruise?  If so, what type and where? Who pays?

Do we get tested in the port pre cruise..how soon pre cruise,?,  where and what test,  who pays? (  entity at Tampa Airport offers   tests , not sure what type,  expensive and not an instant result afaik...)

Will pax be tested at boarding time?  If positive, then what?

Will pax with vaccination certifs ( when the time comes) still need tests?

Will this be worth the trouble?   Can we get cash for our fcc if we are done with cruising?

The questions to be answered are:

who is administering the test, if the cruise lines intend to test everyone? Don’t stick that swab up my nose!!

who/where are the test evaluated, and by whom?

are the test done 3-5 days prior really valid if I roam around Florida for a few days prior to boarding?

Hal

No one knows for sure what cruises lines will do but some airlines and some countries opening to foreign tourists are requiring a test 3-5 days before boarding or arrival- passenger/tourist pays.  Some are also administering a rapid test on boarding or arrival, who pays varies.

i would hope the cruise lines go with the 2 test approach. 

There's also the issue of additional testing in the event of an outbreak aboard ship.  Contact tracing will supposedly result in anyone in close proximity to infected individual being quarantined but suspect they will also need to be tested.  Plus given CDC's concerns about infected passengers carrying virus ashore can even  see requirement for all passengers and crew to be tested prior to disembarkation.

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

This is the one where there is an answer.   No.

Actually the answer is it depends. If Celebrity cancelled your cruise, yes you can later request a refund even if you originally asked for FCC.   If not, then you’re out of luck.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Many Open questions....

Do we try and get a test at home before the cruise?  If so, what type and where? Who pays?

Do we get tested in the port pre cruise..how soon pre cruise,?,  where and what test,  who pays? (  entity at Tampa Airport offers   tests , not sure what type,  expensive and not an instant result afaik...)

Will pax be tested at boarding time?  If positive, then what?

Will pax with vaccination certifs ( when the time comes) still need tests?

Will this be worth the trouble?   Can we get cash for our fcc if we are done with cruising?

The only answers I have is that you would pay for the COVID test done a few days before you cruise.  That test more reliable

Of course you would need to be tested again as you could have been exposed a day or 2 before or after your test.  

Obviously if you test positive you would be denied boarding.

I interesting is not perfect but more tests are being developed that are more accurate, faster and less invasive.

If testing is required and you refuse testing the cruiseline will likely refuse boarding.  Your choice.

Certainly we will know lots more when results of today's meeting between cruise execs and White House.  Wonder if CDC there too.  Hope so.

55 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Actually the answer is it depends. If Celebrity cancelled your cruise, yes you can later request a refund even if you originally asked for FCC.   If not, then you’re out of luck.

I've read many times that @hcat received their FCC from a cruise cancelled with CWC.  They were one of the lucky ones that did it in the first few days of the program and actually received the non-penalty part as a refund and penalty as FCC.   Now the entire amount would be FCC.   

I believe that there are multiple dates for requesting refund from the 125% FCC and I think the absolute latest is 12/31/2020 which is approaching quickly.

4 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

false positives tend to occur with antigen testing, not so much PCR unless the lab screws up or you have sample contamination.

That is why MSC does antigen quick test, then retests using PCR any positives.

Of course that does not solve the more common false negative test results.

11 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Not always so.. we were under the first policy of Cancellations.  We took a partial refund and a FCC for 50%. The cruise was eventually cancelled but we could not reverse the FCC into a full refund...

Still hoping we can burn up our FCC on a future  booking on Ref in 2022 ( lift and shift from Connie)...Not booking anything else til we see what happens.  Hoping we can fly safely in Nov  be healthy this winter  season in Florida....Cruising is a much bigger step!  Testing, masks, distancing, changes in excursions.

Not opposed to precautions but the implementation of large scale testing may be tricky!

Edited by hcat

16 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Not always so.. we were under the first policy of Cancellations.  We took a partial refund and a FCC for 50%. The cruise was eventually cancelled but we could not reverse the FCC into a full refund...

@phoenix_dream is correct. If you wait until Celebrity cancels, you can request a refund, even if you opt initially for the higher percentage FCC. However, if you cancel first, you are locked in under whatever terms apply at that time, no matter what Celebrity does at a later date. This is your situation, as you chose to cancel before Celebrity did.

We too cancelled a cruise very soon after the Cruise With Confidence program was first announced. It sounded like a pretty good deal, as we were well into the penalty phase and would get FCC instead of losing our payment. Shortly thereafter, Celebrity announced the new policy for cruises that they cancelled. Had we known that this new policy was about to be implemented, we would have simply waited for them to pull the pin and would have opted for a full refund. But, like you, it was too late.

23 hours ago, jelayne said:

I'm not sure what they can do but we have decided not to cruise if there is any kind of chance of catching Covid, probably looking at another year or two before the virus is not part of our daily lives.

Edited by MISTER 67

Better make sure your cruise insurance covers for Covid incase you test positive and can't board. I see a proven vaccination requirement when a vaccine is available but no vaccine is 100% prevention effective. But I want to travel so we will do whatever is necessary to travel again.

12 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Better make sure your cruise insurance covers for Covid incase you test positive and can't board. I see a proven vaccination requirement when a vaccine is available but no vaccine is 100% prevention effective. But I want to travel so we will do whatever is necessary to travel again.

Yes agree.  The travel insurance policies are starting to be updated for COVID and even for pandemics.  For example, the higher end Geo Blue Voyager Choice policy covers COVID-19 testing and treatment.  In addition, the trip interruption clause is as follows: 

If, due to a terrorist event or an imminent threat to personal safety, which is documented by a U.S. State Department Travel Warning, or a pandemic disease warning after your departure date (including Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), which is documented by the U.S. State Department or the Center for Disease Control, We will pay for additional transportation expenses needed to reach the scheduled termination point of Your Trip or to travel from the place Your Trip was interrupted to the place where You can rejoin Your Trip. In the event You cannot continue your trip or if an academic program, cannot continue your program, We will pay for Your return home from Your current location outside of the United States. 

The travel insurance policies are all very different even within one company with various policies.  So be very careful and call them and ask questions.  For example it is unclear if the above policy would cover an extended stay at a hotel awaiting the results of a COVID test or a 10-14 day quarantine.  There are a lot of scenarios and this is all very new.

On 10/10/2020 at 1:15 PM, MISTER 67 said:

I'm not sure what they can do but we have decided not to cruise if there is any kind of chance of catching Covid, probably looking at another year or two before the virus is not part of our daily lives.

From everything I have read, it sounds like the virus is never going away completely.  Whether it will be "part of our daily lives" is of course another question.  What we can hope for is a vaccination extremely effective, like the one for polio.  If that ever comes, it is doubtful it could be here in another year or two but we can hope.  So if you won't cruise with any kind of a chance of catching Covid, I suspect your cruising days are over.  I would love to be wrong.