New Fine Print?

HicksRA

Horse poop! Are they going to turn for example the Anthem of the Seas around on it's TA crossing off the coast of Ireland one day from Southampton and sail it back to Bayonne NJ with insufficient fuel to reach New Jersey and have it stranded in the middle of the ocean? I don't think so.

19 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Horse poop! Are they going to turn for example the Anthem of the Seas around on it's TA crossing off the coast of Ireland one day from Southampton and sail it back to Bayonne NJ with insufficient fuel to reach New Jersey and have it stranded in the middle of the ocean? I don't think so.

Uh, they can refuel without disembarking passengers. Don't overlook that it will be Great Britain making the final decision about potential docking, not Royal Caribbean.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, John Reid said:

Uh, they can refuel without disembarking passengers. Don't overlook that it will be Great Britain making the final decision about potential docking, not Royal Caribbean.

Not if it has to turn the back to the USA in that circumstance and that is my reading of the wording? The potential disruption that might cause would be enormous.

17 minutes ago, Hammergirl said:

So if this is for new bookings, what about ones that have already booked and do not agree with this? Will they issue a refund to those people?

No.  The old terms gave them the right to modify terms where changes were ordered by a government agency.

If you have a NRD you can cancel now without penalty but it will be a FCC that you get not cash

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Run out of fuel, LOL?

24 minutes ago, Hammergirl said:

So if this is for new bookings, what about ones that have already booked and do not agree with this? Will they issue a refund to those people?

Anyone setting foot on a ship in the next year at least should know ANYTHING might happen due to covid.  Regardless what is in the "fine print".   This isn't a big change to the overall contract, which has always said they can do pretty much whatever they want.  No they aren't going to change refund policies in regards to this minor add on.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Anyone setting foot on a ship in the next year at least should know ANYTHING might happen due to covid.  Regardless what is in the "fine print".   This isn't a big change to the overall contract, which has always said they can do pretty much whatever they want.  No they aren't going to change refund policies in regards to this minor add on.

Some people book cruises way in advance. So if someone booked a cruise in March of 2019 for a cruise in March 2021 and the cruise line changes something like this, or states that they are going to require a vaccine in order to cruise, yes I do feel those people are entitled to a refund because when they booked, COIVD was not even heard of. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hammergirl said:

Some people book cruises way in advance. So if someone booked a cruise in March of 2019 for a cruise in March 2021 and the cruise line changes something like this, or states that they are going to require a vaccine in order to cruise, yes I do feel those people are entitled to a refund because when they booked, COIVD was not even heard of. 

I suppose, maybe, they would do something in regards to a vaccine requirement  someday(an entirely different subject).  But as for the fine print change referenced in this thread, good luck with that.

Edited by bouhunter

36 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

How much fuel can they hold? I was under the impression they refill at the start of every cruise?

When I was on Serenade a few years ago in the Caribbean, the ship was making an extra stop once every three weeks in St Croix to take on fuel.

On the Symphony crossing the Captain claimed they had enough fuel on board to reach America, turned around and get back to Barcelona with fuel to spare.

Don't know about Quantum class but I wouldn't be surprised if they had similar range. 

However that doesn't mean it's always wise to completely top it up and sail that way.  

Airlines don't fly full of fuel either, they take on exactly what is required plus a reserve amount as a buffer to reach alternate airports.

37 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

When I was on Serenade a few years ago in the Caribbean, the ship was making an extra stop once every three weeks in St Croix to take on fuel.

Sometimes they negotiate favorable rates at certain ports.  St. Croix had an oil refinery so perhaps it was a good price getting it from the refinery who was buying it in large bulk quantities from Venezuela or Libya. 

Edited by twangster

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

How much fuel can they hold? I was under the impression they refill at the start of every cruise?

They can always dock somewhere if needed and then return WITHOUT letting passengers or crew off the ship.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Well, I'm not sure any TA's will be happening until this is under control.  My understanding is nothing longer than 7 days until 11/1/21.

Correct me if I'm wrong about that.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

They were stopping at St Croix because the fuel was cheaper than refueling in Florida.

From everything I have read, cruise ships have enough fuel to sail for 14+ days without the need for more fuel.  More than enough to get almost to Southampton and still turn around and get back to the United States

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lakelorain said:

I wonder what the "threshold" number of cases is?  I assume it is different based on number of passengers.  Is it one?  Is it 20?  Is it a % of passengers.  It would be nice to know.

As I recall that language is from the CDC and they did not specify the threshold.  It would probably be decided on a case by case basis.

1 hour ago, gatour said:

They were stopping at St Croix because the fuel was cheaper than refueling in Florida.

From everything I have read, cruise ships have enough fuel to sail for 14+ days without the need for more fuel.  More than enough to get almost to Southampton and still turn around and get back to the United States

I'm aware of that. I was just responding to the comment from Ace about filling up before the start of every cruise. They do not necessarily do that. And that was my only point.

• Thanks 1