WILL PRICES EVER COME DOWN?

elaineb

22 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Celebrity suites quest bookings are being forced to take the AI as part of "suite class."

That was the case in the past.  Since 11/17/2020 all categories are being force to take AI.  It's built into their new pricing scheme.   I believe the issues people are seeing when trying to apply the "exclusive" CC discount is purely a web site issue and if people call their travel provider they will find they can get the discount with NRD and refundable deposits and all fares have AI.

47 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

That was the case in the past.  Since 11/17/2020 all categories are being force to take AI.  It's built into their new pricing scheme.   I believe the issues people are seeing when trying to apply the "exclusive" CC discount is purely a web site issue and if people call their travel provider they will find they can get the discount with NRD and refundable deposits and all fares have AI.

Sorry?  I thought NRD = non refundable deposit. Are you saying that some bookings have a choice, refundable deposit or non refundable?

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Sorry?  I thought NRD = non refundable deposit. Are you saying that some bookings have a choice, refundable deposit or non refundable?

yes, you can choose refundable or nrdeposits, however refundable fares are a little more expensive. We've used refundable fares since we want the flexibility to get a refund, if desired. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dabear said:

yes, you can choose refundable or nrdeposits, however refundable fares are a little more expensive. We've used refundable fares since we want the flexibility to get a refund, if desired. 

Oh I see now.  There is an option to pay more for refundable deposit.  Is it FCC or truly refundable in cash?

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Some of you appear to be comparing apples and oranges when comparing suites to regular or non-suite cabins (including Aqua).  Celebrity suites quest bookings are being forced to take the AI as part of "suite class."

I am fairly certain that the suites/ retreats have included the Best package prior to COVID and the AI.  
AI should not have much impact on suites.  I do not recall when this change was made, but I believe it was around the time that they converted to the term “Retreat” on all ships.  Prior to that change, suites almost always included the Best package which is significantly more inclusive than the Always Included.

11 hours ago, dabear said:

We recently transferred a July 2021 reservation that had been booked on-board to a July 2022 booking.

Since the deposit was only $200 per cabin and the difference between R and NR fares was about $300 per person, it was a no-brainer to choose the NR fare.

26 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

We recently transferred a July 2021 reservation that had been booked on-board to a July 2022 booking.

Since the deposit was only $200 per cabin and the difference between R and NR fares was about $300 per person, it was a no-brainer to choose the NR fare.

The post AI NRD are certainly exorbitant.  Fortunately the cruises I had to re-schedule, I was able to do so without.  I am happy with the timing of my next cruises, sans perhaps Aug 2021???  Good luck all!

I was checking prices today for a 4 night Grand Cayman cruise Nov 2021. I booked a single occupancy sky suite S2 a year ago for $1390 with the premium beverage/tips/internet/$300 OBC/Luminae. Checking today the cheapest inside on deck 2 with always included regular beverage/tips/internet is $1534 !

With my luck the cruise will probably be cancelled. 🙂

Updated: No S2s are available but an S1 is $5694 ! It does come with streaming internet and $400 OBC instead of regular/$300.

That's more than 4 times the price I paid!

Edited by twins_to_alaska
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

I was checking prices today for a 4 night Grand Cayman cruise Nov 2021. I booked a single occupancy sky suite S2 a year ago for $1390 with the premium beverage/tips/internet/$300 OBC/Luminae. Checking today the cheapest inside on deck 2 with always included regular beverage/tips/internet is $1534 !

With my luck the cruise will probably be cancelled. 🙂

Hmmm, IDK, but a cruise of that duration in late 2021, me thinks it has a good possibility!  

On 12/25/2020 at 10:54 AM, dabear said:

It depends on where/when/how long you sail.

I've seen the boost for NRD as high as $1300.  Not a "little more."

If you have a quote from X (not a TA), do they honor the quoted price before you book the cruise if the price goes up?

My favorite was supposed to be a 7 day AQ Caribbean cruise in Dec 2020 for 2 people at mistake fare of $2900 total.  Seemed good to me.  Was supposed to be $4200 which was not appealing.  At least I got my $900 deposit back as FCC when I canceled due to COVID.

Edited by zitsky

On 12/20/2020 at 7:23 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

As for cruise pricing, Bunnyette has not surprisingly found she could book a Carnival cruise to Canada for less than Celebrity.   Carnival is a budget line so that’s not surprising.   I personally would not enjoy Carnival but lots of folks do.

For me, it would depend on the itinerary.  We sailed on Carnival in spring 2019 and it was NOT Celebrity, but it was a lot cheaper and it was an enjoyable cruise.   We did a cruise to Key West and Havana.  Some things I liked much better on that cruise  (Carnival).  Enjoyed the beers better, enjoyed the buffet better, enjoyed the pool deck and music better.  The mixed drinks were not very good nor could you get a 'top shelf' brand vodka for your martini.  Main dining was okay.

Having said the above, I realize that I put a lot of weight on the pool deck experience on that cruise and we spent most of our onboard time on that deck with the bars, pool and buffet area (and music) outside the 2 ports of call.

I just listened to the latest Travel Webinar for the TA's and it's really amusing how they are marketing the AI concept and their use of the independent TA's.  Celebrity is targeting the affluent younger cruiser that wants a small luxury ship.  They try to invent a new category for themselves to show that they are unique and can command a higher price.  Celebrity is now calling themselves something like Premium Luxury.  Their market research indicated their target audience wanted small ships.  So Celebrity's approach is to tell their target audience that they are wrong, big ships are better.  Their approach is to tell them you have this small private area but you also more options on the rest of the ship.  This approach never works, you need to provide your market what they want.  If they want chocolate ice cream you can't tell them Neapolitan is better because there's more.  Unless you sell them chocolate, you will fail.

There is also this approach that is hoping the TA's push the Celebrity cruises because the TA's can make more money on all of the included extras.   This approach is also doomed to failure.  Any agent that puts his/her commission ahead of their customer's needs will eventually fail.

Finally there was a slide that showed how much commission they could make with the new Celebrity Premium luxury marketing approach.  The had a slide that showed the price and commission for a 7-day cruise in a balcony cabin being over $9000.  No way will they sell many cabins at that price 

• Like 2

Thank you ipeeinthepool, most interesting.

Well any company can do what they wish, it is up to the consumer to decide what their tolerance is and if they buy it. Time will tell about Celebrity's current fantasy marketing plan. Maybe they will be successful, maybe not. Sort of like Celebrity's past fixation of all things Goop etc.

The concept of Celebrity being premium luxury - seriously not. 🤣

With the information age, consumers have considerable information available before they purchase - that includes checking out cruise lines before purchasing. If the new Celebrity target market does a tad bit of research, they to will be laughing at the ridiculous notion of the concept of premium luxury label for Celebrity.  Assuming they research, few TA's will be able to upsell Celebrity at that label.

But then, the old saying applies "There is a sucker born every minute".  Celebrity assumes there are many suckers out there.....

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Their market research indicated their target audience wanted small ships.  So Celebrity's approach is to tell their target audience that they are wrong, big ships are better.  Their approach is to tell them you have this small private area but you also more options on the rest of the ship.

The smaller ships can get into small interesting ports without a tidal wave of people overwhelming the port/town/etc.  That's a major reason why we like(d) the R ships.  Definitely a different "feel" when exploring new areas.

Edited by cluso
  • Like 1

In my very unscientific and undocumented look this morning, it appears that a popular TA we've used is offering group rates on many late 2021 and 2022 cruises, particularly Caribbean itineraries, that are back to pre-COVID prices. Even some that are lower than they have been in quite some time for Edge and Apex cruises. 

My last cruise with Celebrity will be if I am subjected to segregation in public areas.  Have the private areas you want, decks you you want. I think too, management who I do not see as stupid, needs to be very careful here.  Hoping they are not going down a path they cannot easily get off.   As a stock holder, it will be very difficult to get me back on a cruise line I have decided to not cruise anymore for the above reason.

1 hour ago, shipshape sam said:

My last cruise with Celebrity will be if I am subjected to segregation in public areas.  Have the private areas you want, decks you you want. I think too, management who I do not see as stupid, needs to be very careful here.  Hoping they are not going down a path they cannot easily get off.   As a stock holder, it will be very difficult to get me back on a cruise line I have decided to not cruise anymore for the above reason.

There is always some segregation based on fare you paid, like suites for example.  Maybe that is not what you mean?

1 hour ago, shipshape sam said:

I am subjected to segregation in public areas.  Have the private areas you want, decks you you want.  May you please elaborate or clarify?  Can't quite figure out what you are saying.

Sure,

Having a separate area, the retreat, is okay with me as I understand it.  If, for example you have a pool that is available to all passengers, except I could not use it at certain times as it was reserved for 'other passengers or a block of seats reserved for others while I can't find  a chair.  NOT talking about chair hogs here.

I actually don't sit around the pool nor do I typically go to the theater, so have not experienced anything like that although I have read there was some saving of seats for a period of time in theater before a performance I think.  We seek shade  and quiet away from pool.

Celebrity may have a long term goal of 'suite' sailing or at least All Included (AI) for all passengers which will IMHO turn me off from a value for the amount I am paying.  I don't used internet other than 1-2 times to make sure there is not any issue back home Which typically is less than 30 minutes and have used internet cafes on shore at times.  I don't drink a lot of alcohol drinks and thinking the ala carte pricing and huge increases in drink pricing to make the packages seem reasonable is a turnoff and now AI being included at a higher price point with no option to op out will  make many past cruising passengers see their cost of sailing go way up WITHOUT a corresponding increase in value to them.

Like everyone, we all have choices and options. Some will see value in the higher pricing for what they are getting.  

Sooo, for me, we will try the new concept and see how it works for us.  We are booked on one cruise for late 2021 

13 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

Sure,

Having a separate area, the retreat, is okay with me as I understand it.  If, for example you have a pool that is available to all passengers, except I could not use it at certain times as it was reserved for 'other passengers or a block of seats reserved for others while I can't find  a chair.  NOT talking about chair hogs here.

I actually don't sit around the pool nor do I typically go to the theater, so have not experienced anything like that although I have read there was some saving of seats for a period of time in theater before a performance I think.  We seek shade  and quiet away from pool.

Celebrity may have a long term goal of 'suite' sailing or at least All Included (AI) for all passengers which will IMHO turn me off from a value for the amount I am paying.  I don't used internet other than 1-2 times to make sure there is not any issue back home Which typically is less than 30 minutes and have used internet cafes on shore at times.  I don't drink a lot of alcohol drinks and thinking the ala carte pricing and huge increases in drink pricing to make the packages seem reasonable is a turnoff and now AI being included at a higher price point with no option to op out will  make many past cruising passengers see their cost of sailing go way up WITHOUT a corresponding increase in value to them.

Like everyone, we all have choices and options. Some will see value in the higher pricing for what they are getting.  

Sooo, for me, we will try the new concept and see how it works for us.  We are booked on one cruise for late 2021 

Ahh, OK I get it now.  Will be interesting once on-board, to talk with passengers in suites and non-suites and get their perspectives on this new program.  Happy sailing!!

22 hours ago, ECCruise said:

It depends on where/when/how long you sail.

I've seen the boost for NRD as high as $1300.  Not a "little more."

As have I as recently as this week when looking at a TA for  2022...it was an additional $1260....  I didn't bother booking....  really looking for fall TA's 2022 anyway and will look at what other lines offer too once available.

1 minute ago, Gracie115 said:

As have I as recently as this week when looking at a TA for  2022...it was an additional $1260....  I didn't bother booking....  really looking for fall TA's 2022 anyway and will look at what other lines offer too once available.

The NRD's are ridiculous!

• Like 1