Over 55 discount

20 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

I may be being stupid (its been known) but I can't see that ticking the box saying over 55 makes any difference to any quote I have ever been given.  Is it certain cruises only?

random cruises and categories, different amounts.

Royal uses the seniors discount as a way of helping sales for slow moving cruises as opposed to a generic discount across the board.

If you book your cruises far in advance you probably wont see one unless you end up repricing your cruise.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I've personally never seen a senior discount on any cruise I've ever priced but, as @Ourusualbeachsaid, I usually book well in advance.

We have a senior discount on our May 2021 Alaska sailing that we booked last June.  It is $776 total for the two of us.  We have gotten a couple of them in the short time we have been eligible for them. 😄 

• Like 2

Just like the resident discount, sometimes it's available and other times it's not.  In some of my bookings, I've received a senior discount and not the resident or vice versa.  Does not hurt ticking any of the available boxes.

We scored a cracking senior discount on what was to have been an Allure sailing in September last year which we booked 7 months in advance, $868 for the two of us. I think that's our first and only so far. We L&S-ed that cruise to September this year precisely because we got such a good price that it would have been a pity to lose out on it.

• Like 1

Travelling with my Senior mother (hopefully) in Sept 2021 (we booked in May 2020). Not much of a rate discount at the time but then we saw the fare had dropped in general and went back to TA to reprice and there was a significant drop in adding the seniors discount. That being said we booked a couple additional cruises in 2022 and no great shakes there. Will greatly depend on the demand, existing and forecasted occupancy and time of the season. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I get 100% of my balcony discount on every cruise.

Me too but we've only been booking balconies for a few years. We used to be satisfied with an Oceanview but as we've gotten older, the balconies suit us better. Wasn't there a time not too long ago that the balcony discount wasn't combinable with some other promos?

Just now, cruiseguy1016 said:

Me too but we've only been booking balconies for a few years. We used to be satisfied with an Oceanview but as we've gotten older, the balconies suit us better. Wasn't there a time not too long ago that the balcony discount wasn't combinable with some other promos?

It’s still not combinable with any of the instant savings or OBC offers but if you find a TA with group rates then you get the full discount on refundable rates that are less than Royal’s NRD rates. 

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It’s still not combinable with any of the instant savings or OBC offers but if you find a TA with group rates then you get the full discount on refundable rates that are less than Royal’s NRD rates. 

Can a TA do interline rates or can one be transferred to them?

We've gotten state discounts and senior discounts on various bookings over the years. The largest senior rate we got several years ago was almost $1k on a reprice when it became available. It never hurts to always check for any discounts and price reductions...you never know.

• Like 2

I am retired and check prices with my morning coffee almost daily. Three or 4 years ago I would occasionally see as much as $50 discount for seniors or state you are from . These have now gone to single digit or zero. I have become lax on checking the difference but I still check both boxes when I enter my C&A # (number, not hash tax youngsters). If you are going to spend $1500 to $5000 it is a bit of an insult to give me an $8 discount. I would really prefer doing away with this and surprise me with something a little more substantial based on my points/cruises. I know lots of us get balcony discounts, you may have noticed they are less than a few years ago, that is not a surprise. I love RCL and I never (well once because they did not go to Key West out of Galveston then and a few times on Princess when they went out of Houston because they killed RCL on price) cruise anyone but RCL.......but am I the only person who feels they ask for LOYALTY more often than they extend it??

jb

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just costed a cruise.  
£1069pp + $175obc with no C&A # vs £979pp +$75obc.  I would go for the £90pp saving to lose $100. 

Edited by little britain

On the booking I mentioned above, where we got the $868 senior discount, we also got the C&A balcony discount and something listed on the invoice as "Savings" worth $75. And it was somehow booked as a refundable deposit even though the box you're supposed to tick for that never showed up. So maybe some sort of website glitch in our favour? Not complaining. :classic_laugh:

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Hmmm. My current cruise booking that was Lift & Shifted until next year was originally booked on Jewel out of Galveston. When we booked it (a year ago) there was a Police, Firefighter, EMT discount that we qualified for ($209) and we also got our balcony discount. Did we get lucky? Maybe our TA had us booked in a group?