Anyone still booking cruises, or have we all given up?

On 1/14/2021 at 1:27 PM, superduper123 said:

After five cruise cancellations between May 2020 - Nov 2021, I've decided to hold off booking anything else until there is a clearer picture of what the cruising future will look like.  I'm sure many have had more cancellations than me. Is anyone still making reservations?

100% agree.  Not giving Royal any interest free loans.

• Haha 1

The two new cruises I booked in 2020 (for 8/2021 and 10/2022) have refundable deposits, so I'm not worried about them. I am more concerned that our b2b cruises in 10/2021 booked with nonrefundable deposits just might sail, and I'd rather not go on them.

23 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

100% agree.  Not giving Royal any interest free loans.

Ummmm....any ready cash I have for paying down payments, etc., is pretty much interest-free anyway at today's interest rates.  I actually figured out how much interest I would lose by booking and paying for 15 cruises, and it was about $190.  I'd rather lock in at the lower rates, considering the prices have been going up for the last 3-6 months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pcur said:

Ummmm....any ready cash I have for paying down payments, etc., is pretty much interest-free anyway at today's interest rates.  I actually figured out how much interest I would lose by booking and paying for 15 cruises, and it was about $190.  I'd rather lock in at the lower rates, considering the prices have been going up for the last 3-6 months.

Lock in at a rate for a cruise which may or may not sail?  No thanks.  My portfolio is doing quite well.

1 hour ago, voyager70 said:

Lock in at a rate for a cruise which may or may not sail?  No thanks.  My portfolio is doing quite well.

Note the words "ready cash", and my previous post about "25% extra FCC".  I've received far more in FCC value than any interest I would get.  Investments are a totally different category of asset, and I don't count any investments as ready cash.

Not really disagreeing with you, since I would prefer to keep investment money invested if I was doing well, but cash to pay for cruises is not invested:  it's part of our budget cash flow.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, nancy2vues said:

We booked this week and chose the Arctic Circle in July of 2022 also.  We had a cancelled Fjord cruise in August of 2020 and we assume that our Fjord cruise scheduled for June of 2021 won't happen either. I am 1/2 Norwegian and determined to do this route one of these days!

Were you booked for the Jewel Fjords cruise for Aug 2020?    We had a b2b for Baltic and Fjords on Jewel booked and out of all my cancelled cruises that was the saddest one to lose as there is not any sailings with similar itinerary.   

5 hours ago, voyager70 said:

People don't realize that those who are retired are drawing on retirement funds that are not basic low interest accounts. I am closing in on retirement. I would rather add any unused cruise money to one of my funds or on home improvements that will add value to my home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Were you booked for the Jewel Fjords cruise for Aug 2020?    We had a b2b for Baltic and Fjords on Jewel booked and out of all my cancelled cruises that was the saddest one to lose as there is not any sailings with similar itinerary.   

Yes we were!  We had all of the flights and excursions booked as well as an overnight ferry to Oslo, where we were going to spend a few days.  We moved that deposit to one for this June, which is a 9 day cruise out of Southampton.  Similar itinerary but it added Oslo for one day.  I am pretty sure that this one won't go either, so I booked a 12 day Arctic circle and fjord cruise out of Amsterdam in July of 2022.   This longer route was on my "someday" list, but I figured we might as well take it in 2022!  The only thing is, I STILL want to get to the Oslo area as that's where both of my mom's parents' families came from.  I was last there when I was a child, and by the time we (hopefully) go next year, it will be 50 years since I was in Norway.  How crazy is that!!  

9 hours ago, nancy2vues said:

Yes we were!  We had all of the flights and excursions booked as well as an overnight ferry to Oslo, where we were going to spend a few days.  We moved that deposit to one for this June, which is a 9 day cruise out of Southampton.  Similar itinerary but it added Oslo for one day.  I am pretty sure that this one won't go either, so I booked a 12 day Arctic circle and fjord cruise out of Amsterdam in July of 2022.   This longer route was on my "someday" list, but I figured we might as well take it in 2022!  The only thing is, I STILL want to get to the Oslo area as that's where both of my mom's parents' families came from.  I was last there when I was a child, and by the time we (hopefully) go next year, it will be 50 years since I was in Norway.  How crazy is that!!  

Our daughter did study abroad for 6 weeks in Oslo summer 2019.  She loved it 🙂  They took the trains  and buses north to ferry's, fjords etc. on weekends, had an amazing time.

10 hours ago, nancy2vues said:

I know how you feel.  We were going to trave with my brother and Sil. We had all flights, hotels, excursions all booked.  We were going to fly into copenhagen and spend a couple pre cruise days there before the baltic cruise.  It would have been my brothers first cruise.  Then we were all set to do the 2nd leg in norway.  My Dh has cousins that live near oslo.  2 of them were going to meet us at port and take all of us on a personal tour.  

The 12 night artic cruise in 2022 sounds amazing and is definitely on our bucket list.

For now we booked aug 5th 2021 on jewel for 9 or 10 night baltic.  I'm not excited about that one yet.  It just isnt the same that we had planned for 2020.

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I've never been to Bermuda 

Looking forward to a few days there

Oh you will love it.  Island life mixed with british living.  You must go to HogsPenny bar/restaurant in center of Hamilton.  We go there everytime and got real friendly with bartender, Jason,  that he takes us out and about to hang with locals.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I've never been to Bermuda 

Looking forward to a few days there

Bermuda is my favorite island. Easy to get around by bus. Although I have never been there during a pandemic so who knows what the rules will be.  It's much cheaper to visit there a few days via a cruise than a resort. We were going to do a 7 day on Summit but in the end the 9 day Anthem won out. Bermuda was a port of call on that itinerary. Unfortunately it called there on a Saturday when the bus were running on a weekend schedule. We planned on going to St George but the bus schedule didn't allow enough time. As my luck would have it we left much later as Royal Caribbean was waiting for a mechanic who was being flown in from Europe to fix North Star, which never was fixed during our time on board.

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2021 at 2:01 PM, John&LaLa said:

I was done until the 8 day Mariners out of PC showed up. 😉

Hello Bermuda and Aruba

Us as well. Couldn’t resist either of those itineraries. Haven’t been back to Bermuda since 1981 Veendam out of NYC

16 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

People don't realize that those who are retired are drawing on retirement funds that are not basic low interest accounts. I am closing in on retirement. I would rather add any unused cruise money to one of my funds or on home improvements that will add value to my home.

Not everyone retired needs to draw on retirement funds :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1