Changes to Cruise Planner Coming

1 hour ago, cured said:

This sounds like it will just encourage people to book a cheap, refundable cabin just to keep track of prices. Still leaves you with the 90 days after final payment that you won't be able to track prices, but hopefully by then a robust roll call will be sharing prices.

We always have our children in a separate cabin, so I will just buy things like cabanas under our cabin and check prices under their cabin. The issue I see with that is buying drink packages or thrill park tickets for everyone. Maybe I will have to manufacture another child in another cabin to track until at least final payment.

I can't see too many people wanting to tie up cash on a deposit to do that.  Price of the cabin does not matter.  Deposits vary $200 through $900.  I suppose you could book solo $100, $250 and $450 but the people that track this stuff and go for the deals are the ones with multiple cruises booked.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

2 hours ago, pstone1 said:

I thought the Dining prices were reasonable too and purchased for both Mariner cruises.  I had to try a couple of times to figure out how to make it accept the OBC for payment.  When I used all the zeros, 200.00, it came back with an error.  It took the payment, including the OBC, when I just used the decimal point, 200.  

I got it to use mine.  I could not decide between the 3 night and the UDP but it let me buy both with OBC no money out of pocket.  Have a long time to decide.  Was hoping to sail with Lorraine and Russell in May but not looking good.  

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

Our May 2022 8 might  Mariner cruise has dining loaded.  $163 pp for UDP and $63 for the 3 night.  Those prices don't  seem too bad.  I don't see anyplace that says they are non refundable.  No beverage packages loaded yet.  

Those prices are very good!   I don't think I have seen the 3 night dining package for less than $79 in the last 2 or 3 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I got it to use mine.  I could not decide between the 3 night and the UDP but it let me buy both with OBC no money out of pocket.  Have a long time to decide.  Was hoping to sail with Lorraine and Russell in May but not looking good.  

I know they were looking forward to the May cruise too!  I’m afraid you’re right though - May is not looking good!  😟

5 hours ago, cured said:

This sounds like it will just encourage people to book a cheap, refundable cabin just to keep track of prices. Still leaves you with the 90 days after final payment that you won't be able to track prices, but hopefully by then a robust roll call will be sharing prices.

It’s funny you mentioned this. I messaged this to Ken mid-morning. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I can't see too many people wanting to tie up cash on a deposit to do that.  Price of the cabin does not matter.  Deposits vary $200 through $900.  I suppose you could book solo $100, $250 and $450 but the people that track this stuff and go for the deals are the ones with multiple cruises booked.

True

On 2/26/2021 at 8:08 AM, mac_tlc said:

I'm sure this is all based on customer feedback and is intended to enhance the cruise experience, 

Lol. Love it.  It's been a while since I last saw "to enhance the cruise experience" when Royal is the one benefiting from the enhancement. 

• Like 3

I know in the past it was suggested that you buy at the price you think is good and cancel and repurchase if the price drops. My question is to the regulars. Have you ever seen a price lower than what you purchased it for?  Don't include the $18 glitch on the drink package. I followed prices on the drink packages and zoom for over a year. I never saw the deluxe package less than buy one get one 50% off which was available on board on the embarkation day. The refreshment package and zoom was the least expensive on Black Friday.  As a rule of thumb a deluxe package above $55 isn't worth it for us so I focus on the price as opposed to if it's on sale or not.  That price target may change if the prices of the individual prices skyrocket. 

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Lol. Love it.  It's been a while since I last saw "to enhance the cruise experience" when Royal is the one benefiting from the enhancement. 

29 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I know.  What a load of BS....every.single.time

The real issue becomes does RCI not realize they are actually insulting us by thinking that we are not intelligent to see through it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I know in the past it was suggested that you buy at the price you think is good and cancel and repurchase if the price drops. My question is to the regulars. Have you ever seen a price lower than what you purchased it for?  Don't include the $18 glitch on the drink package. I followed prices on the drink packages and zoom for over a year. I never saw the deluxe package less than buy one get one 50% off which was available on board on the embarkation day. The refreshment package and zoom was the least expensive on Black Friday.  As a rule of thumb a deluxe package above $55 isn't worth it for us so I focus on the price as opposed to if it's on sale or not.  That price target may change if the prices of the individual prices skyrocket. 

I've canceled and rebooked Cruise Planner items for lower prices at least 40 times over the past couple of years.  Occasionally multiple times for the same item.  If we really can't check prices of items we already purchased I'm going to be very disappointed.  

Tom

• Like 3

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

I'd be curious what percentage of cruise planner items get canceled and rebooked at a lower price. My gut says most people buy it and forget it, and never bother to look for price drops

I suspect you might be right. I think we in CC often forget that the general cruising population does not operate as we do.

I wonder what a TA @Ourusualbeachwould say about people calling when they see price drops on cruises? Is it common? Is it the more experienced cruisers?

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I suspect you might be right. I think we in CC often forget that the general cruising population does not operate as we do.

I wonder what a TA @Ourusualbeachwould say about people calling when they see price drops on cruises? Is it common? Is it the more experienced cruisers?

I would say that it is the people who are either active on this site or other social media sites for cruising who shop the prices.  I tell any of my first time clients but I'm not sure how many TA's do that.  I do think a lot of people book and forget about it

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

I've canceled and rebooked Cruise Planner items for lower prices at least 40 times over the past couple of years.  Occasionally multiple times for the same item.  If we really can't check prices of items we already purchased I'm going to be very disappointed.  

Tom

Ellen already posted that she booked something on the Mariner (new cruise planner) and she could still see prices

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, molly361 said:

14 hours ago, pstone1 said:

I know they were looking forward to the May cruise too!  I’m afraid you’re right though - May is not looking good!  😟

We are disappointed but it's definitely not looking good. I'm just waiting for the official cancellation so I can request my refund. Seems like the other cruise lines have already cancelled May. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'd be curious what percentage of cruise planner items get canceled and rebooked at a lower price. My gut says most people buy it and forget it, and never bother to look for price drops

I figured that only CC members would know to  price adjust but my son who doesn't follow CC knew enough to do so. However, that was only because he would receive emails for sales and when he would go back into the planner for other items he noticed the drink package and dining package sales advertised. Perhaps their first plan of action should be to not send emails advertising sale prices to those who have already purchased the items.

Edited by Iamcruzin