The Daily for Wednesday November 03, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and to all contributors.

Interesting days. I try to avoid cliche's but some are fun, a salute to housewives, and I do appreciate a good sandwich (like pastrami on rye).

Good quote by Lincoln.

The onion dish looks interesting and so does the drink. The wine is appealing.

I haven't ever been to Japan. Thanks for any pictures that may be posted.

Another cold and sunny day here; it's only 40°F so far. I brought down a coat from an upstairs closet. I save the down coat for temps below 20F. Tomorrow is the dentist for a crown. I'm starting to get the new computer up and running. It will be a tedious job getting it just how I want it. But the big 27" screen is lovely.

@summer slope I'm glad you're feeling better today.

@grapau27 Lovely looking English breakfast.

@ger_77 Congrats to DH on the accomplishment of getting the poles up.

@StLouisCruisers Good luck with the appliance repair.

@Seasick Sailor The bathroom looks wonderful! 

@mamaofami It sounds like your doctor is a keeper. Sorry you can't go to the parties, but no masks would keep me away.

@smitty34877 Good luck with the washer repair.

@NCTribeFan WTG on the gaming. I play some online games to while away the time. Ugh on the accounting for your time like that.

@Cruising-along Good news on the DGD's appointments to get vaccinated.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  A definite salute to Housewives.  A great quote from Lincoln.  I will pass on the meal and have not been to Miyako.  My alternative is Honey Pineapple, Rack of Lamb with Cannellinni Beans, and Black Forest Cake as served on MS Prinsendam November 3, 2017.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
cunorl’s sister hospitalized with lymphona and DH’s sister recovering from stroke
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
summer slope’s friend Frank with back surgery  and his stressed wife Rita

From the rotation:
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
HAL Sailor DH health issues
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome to USA  Rotterdam VII
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
SusieKIslandGirl onEurodam
Welcome home Gail&Marty
1Angelcat biopsy complete (awaiting results)
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Bdrcole FINISHED with radiation
Kids vaccine approved
Congrats Braves
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

dishes1103.jpg

Roy, Thanks for the lists.  The meal sounds good.  I like Lamb, especially, leg of lamb and mint jelly.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Point to ponder.  If your child gets a first covid vaccine dose at 11 years and 50 weeks, what happens 3 weeks later?

Roy

That is a good question,  they have been vaccinating all who turn 12 this year,  but 11 year olds get a third the dose now. 

• Like 7

Good afternoon.  CC acting up this afternoon, so I had to use a different browser to sign in.  Otherwise, my post would have had the entire string of posts!!!  Why can't this get fixed once and for all!

@Seasick SailorI love your bathroom renovation.  I am sure that when you are on this side of the renovation, it seems worth the trials and tribulations, but not so much when you are going through it!

I had a not so gentle wake-up in the travel world today!  Prior to pandemic times, we had 4 flights a day to Phoenix from our small regional airport.  When I started to get my reservation today to fly to Phoenix for my Hawaiian trip, there is only one flight a day and that flight would put me there at 8 am.  Far too early for my hotel reservation.   Now, I am booked on Southwest to Phoenix, but have to drive 1-1/2 hours to the small regional airport that serves Southwest!  And at that, I will have to change in Denver, which is an airport that I am not fond of, especially in January.   Going through Phoenix is necessary because my flight to Hawaii the next day is from there.  What a shock the airline changes were for me!  Oh well, I am just thankful I can travel.  From Hawaii I fly back to San Diego for the Zuiderdam and the Panama Canal.

Our rain yesterday was wonderful and lasted most of the day. It is always good, because we are still making up for this year's lack of moisture!  Today is another a bright clear day with no wind.

I had never heard of a stuffed onion, and I think I might try that.  I know I could cut it down to serve just me.  Would love to try the liver, but have never seen ground liver and I don't intend to attempt it.  So, it will probably be chicken or pork.

Just looked at the port camera for Fort Lauderdale.  The Rotterdam looks very much at home there!  Can't wait till I get to board her in Amsterdam next October!  My step-daughter and her husband just got back from Puerto Vallarta and she was commenting about seeing the Noordam there every day.  Had to explain that is where the ship is spending time till sailing date!  Will be glad when all BHB's are on the high seas again.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone.

• Like 24

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

That is a good question,  they have been vaccinating all who turn 12 this year,  but 11 year olds get a third the dose now. 

It is a medical call by the physician of the child. Really about the best care for the patient.

I know what I would do but it is a best practice call; know your patient.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I'd happily order @rafinmd's, though - minus the beans.  I always ask for steamed vegetables instead of the beans, as I just don't care for them. 

Actually, I don't remember them but am sure they became fish food.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

It is a medical call by the physician of the child. Really about the best care for the patient.

I know what I would do but it is a best practice call; know your patient.

Welcome to the Daily.

Roy

• Like 9

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

The CDC has actually given guidance on this question. They get the smaller dose for the second shot (same as their first):

Q: What if a child is 11 years old when she gets the first dose but turns 12 before the second dose?

A: The child should get 10 micrograms for each dose.

(10 micrograms is the pediatric dose; 30 micrograms is the 12 and up dose)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, unclerich said:

The CDC has actually given guidance on this question. They get the smaller dose for the second shot (same as their first):

Q: What if a child is 11 years old when she gets the first dose but turns 12 before the second dose?

A: The child should get 10 micrograms for each dose.

(10 micrograms is the pediatric dose; 30 micrograms is the 12 and up dose)

Our province has been giving 11 year olds turning 12 the full dose all year,  so the guidance seems to have changed.  I also would hope they could take into account the size of the child. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Our province has been giving 11 year olds turning 12 the full dose all year,  so the guidance seems to have changed.  I also would hope they could take into account the size of the child. 

They're going by age reflecting the 'maturity of the immune system', rather than a dose by patient weight approach.

• Like 4

We know several of the cruisers who disembarked the Rotterdam this morning in Ft Lauderdale.  Would have liked to have joined them in Amsterdam, but guess it wasn't our time as other issues prevented it.  I've never been on an inaugural cruise, and don't expect Holland America to have another new ship any time soon.  It wasn't the best conditions with weather issues, but our reports were mostly very favorable.  

Meanwhile, here are two of my pics of the former Rotterdam.

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3342.JPG

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, unclerich said:

They're going by age reflecting the 'maturity of the immune system', rather than a dose by patient weight approach.

Welcome to the Daily.  I expect the protocols are different between the US and Canada.

Roy

• Like 5

Good afternoon.  After running a couple of errands,  out internet was working.  But surprise, surprise, CC would not let me like posts.  It is working now, but earlier if I tried to post, I got the whole page.  😱

I just waited CC out, and worked on pricing things for the neighborhood yard sale next week.  We have three yard sales each season.  This first one may not have as many shoppers as the ones in January and February, but it is a lot warmer now. 😁

Looks like this might work since I don't see other posts added.

Lenda 

• Like 8

Thanks to  Rich @richwmnfor the daily and to Roy , for the Care and Celebration lists., and to everyone who contributes to make this the best site to visit each day.

Re Housewifes Day, I now call myself a Home Executive when asked for my ocupation.

@JazzyVbest wishes for your dental appointment tomorrow.

@Seasick Sailoryour bathroom  looks very practical after the alterations.

Hope the appliance repairs go well today.

Off to defrost our ancient chest freezer.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Also...just remembered that @Horizon chaser 1957 has a travel day today -- adventure in Mexico.  Wishing safe travels and a great adventure.  ✈️  

We’ve gotta have our carpet of the day so here is @Horizon chaser 1957’s carpet of the day (from last week):

7209F34E-336B-4BFE-AA75-9656B8FF4CDF.thumb.jpeg.d99c1e34b270d4607311d226991d0ca4.jpeg

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 10

Sometimes a sandwich is the best food! Today DH is wrapping Christmas gifts and hurrying along the packing for next week's cruise.  Not a BHB but a long awaited, many times cancelled, many itinerary changed O trip with friends met on our last cruise, December, 2019.  This morning I had my hair thinned and highlighted, first time since spring. With the abundance of new "blonde" hair around my face, (blame it on Covid?), the highlights have changed my look so much that my Granddaughter looked twice at me when I picked her up after school.  Who knew that being a blonde (or is it silver...) could be such fun?  Covid-19 tests are tomorrow at CVS, proctored Binex tests are packed in the carry on (just in case), and we are hopeful that we don't forget too many travel things. 

• Like 8

I sailed an inaugural sailing (Carnival Vista Trieste-Barcelona).  I'll never do it again.

The fumes were so strong from all the new surfaces/substances that my sinuses went nuts.  I have a lot of allergies, and strong smells really bother me.  By day 3, I was getting sick.  I think my sinuses were just so inflamed from the fumes that they were susceptible to everything else.  Had one of the worst colds ever most of the cruise and had a cough for over a month after returning home.  Many people on that sailing had the same bad cold.

• Like 1