The Daily for Sunday 01/23/2022

richwmn

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

Hello-

I enjoy reading the daily but have never posted.  My husband and I had a wonderful cruise on the Veendam in 2018.  We love the smaller ships.  Here are two pictures from our stop in Quebec.

B51DFD7D-E665-4D1D-AC62-9F85E6DB7782.jpeg

E7FBAE2E-33AE-49B7-8005-B16A45911B2E.jpeg

Welcome to the Daily!  I really enjoyed your pictures. We would love for you to post more. 

• Like 18

54 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I used to use a fountain pen at grammar school 50 years ago.

Pauline bought 2 fountain pens with spare ink cartridges when we were away this week and she has been practising writing with them.

She got interested because she has the job in church of writing names in the church's remembrance book with a fountain pen.

Graham.

I'm sure with the new pens she bought the remembrance book will have an elegant new look.  Good luck to her!

51 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The only difference is you are using your left hand to change gears on a right hand drive car.

Graham.

Thanks ,Graham.  I wouldn't have any problem remembering where the gears are then.

47 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

There are a lot of things they don't teach anymore like History, Geography and Social Studies, I'm not sure what they teach now in this day and age.

You don't want to know!  😧

34 minutes ago, jimgev said:

I do some substitute teaching at a local High School. They have classes in all those subjects and several are requirements for graduation. 

I'm very glad to hear you say that.

24 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I learned to drive on a standard and taught both kids that way.I hadn't  driven a standard in years and had to remember very quickly how to manage in our stop and go traffic with hills. I was sweating bullets by the time  I returned home with DS's car.

I remember my early days too.  It wasn't pretty!

20 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

ma

I have grandchildren in Orange County California and my son told me that the three I mentioned are not being taught, classes are mainly in Math, Science and English and other languages. Maybe curriculum is based on where you live in the country.

Thank goodness my DD teaches math, though she has also taught science, English, reading and language arts in past years as well.  Where your kids go to school is so important in what they will learn and achieve.  When we moved to Columbus Ohio in the early 80's we talked to two school districts before we decided where to build our home.  Some districts have better gifted programs than others.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Not a huge pie eater but I do love rhubarb.  None to be found at this time of the year, sadly.  I guess I celebrated National Handwriting Day early when I did up my thank you notes unless writing out my list of things to do today counts 😉 

LOL on the Oscar Wilde quote.  Quebec city is always fun to visit.  Have never been there on a cruise but we have certainly visited 😉 

Oh goodie it snowed last night and there is more coming today.

F8A7C8AE-7E91-472D-B57F-5FEC011DE06C.jpeg.08babdf8dceae429f9303e8304ee1727.jpeg

I don’t get how it can be so cold and still snow.  Sheesh.  

68CAD65C-52A6-4FEE-9BFE-9B48B016E92B.jpeg.ee6aab6169e59bc3d76ffe1cbd459ff0.jpeg

Well @ger_77I joined your club and cancelled our cruise in May to the Norwegian fjords & British Isles.   After months of planning I’m now unwinding everything 😢 It’s pretty evident that DH won’t be able to go and I’m not leaving him now.  

@Cruzin TerriI hope you are feeling much better today 🤞 

I started this post earlier this morning and just getting it finished now.  Sheesh. Didn’t take and Trying to do too much cancelling arrangements I guess along with hospital calls.  Now to catch up. After a few weeks of medicating dogs, I got a kick out of this one:

650AE8C9-B86F-4B75-A439-5FFA2AC1303E.jpeg.691eb04586b606c1435c9721385aa439.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them & 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

81727EA2-60C4-4E71-A9E7-9CA9EAB7A98A.jpeg.f24f65d0d7b4a56894f4337342bccae4.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

I'm sorry to hear you had to cancel your cruise Jacqui but it was definitely the right decision.

Prayers that José soon gets a lot better.

Take care of yourself too.

Graham.

• Like 21

Where'd my post go?? Dam CC ghost..

Good morning Rich and fellow Daily-ites. Wishing ya'll a blessed Sunday. I have posted these pictures before. Deb posted pictures of the basilica. We loved Quebec City. We were in the city several days prior to our NCL cruise down to Boston.

Prayers out to all on Roy's list, including Roy, Jacqui, Jose, Tana...

I'm sorry you canceled your cruises Jacqui and Gerry.  

Happy Birthday Terri.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Thanks for taking the time for ''The Daily''. I'm new here and really enjoy the various posts.  Not into recipes but if anyone has any Golf questions or issues, I'm your man.

Welcome to  the  Daily.

Jim.

• Like 15

46 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

Rotterdam is in port, we are too, and we both tested negative! Woohoo! So excited to board soon.

44 minutes ago, Queen of DaNile said:

Heading down in a few minutes to board the NS. Will wave to you from Deck 4 😂

Wishing you both wonderful cruises.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211221_223815.jpg

• Like 19

@kazuI'm sorry about your cancellation too.  I can't blame you with all the troubles you've been through lately.  All this uncertainty breeds worry.  I hope that you can reschedule sometime in the future and that Jose will be right there with you.🙏

Also sorry to hear that it continues to snow!!  Hoping for an early spring this year.

• Like 22

Good morning!  Sunny and mild here today.  A break between cold snaps.

My Auntie’s chocolate pie warm from the oven was delicious.  I miss her so for so many reasons.

My DDIL says her handwriting looks like worms crawling across the page.  My handwriting was never great, and has significantly devolved.  DH rightfully takes pride in his beautiful penmanship.

We travel to Quebec City in October to end up in Ft Lauderdale on the N Statendam.  I was in QC decades ago, so it will be almost as a new destination.  Looking forward to pictures.

@dfishI don’t know that I’ve ever said thank you for the recipes, but I love the commentary and variety you provide along with the links.  Since retirement, I am getting back in the kitchen, and many of your suggestions appear in my recipe book.

@kazuIt is outstanding that you are finally getting some news that is better!  So happy that Marley’s ailment is treatable.  Now if only we could get you and Jose back together!

Happy Birthday @smitty34877!  Welcome to new and occasional posters!

And now, as Paul Harvey used to say

Page 2!

• Like 26

Good morning All.  I'm so sorry to see that both @ger_77and @kazuhad to cancel their lovely plans.  Seems like each day brings something where the only thing to do is "take a deep breath."

I guess today is my day, as I enjoy baking and eating pies AND, like @ger_77, my handwriting is good.  I've always enjoyed shaping letters in interesting ways.  Go figure.  Gotta admit, though, there's not much use for it anymore.  I write so few checks now that it takes a split second to remember how to fill in the blanks.

@0106, welcome to the Daily.  Your photos are delightful!  @MISTER 67, I thought I'd seen you post before, but perhaps that was on another thread.  Welcome!  DH is an avid golfer, too.

Bon Voyage to @bobpatjand @Queen of DaNile!  Wishing both of you a great cruise!

To everyone:  Thanks for the contributions to the Daily and wishing all a joyful day.

Maxine

• Like 28

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jake, haven't you heard?  Some people claim the shelves are NOT empty!  Is that why we have to go to several stores to find our goods?  It's getting worse I think.

It took three tries, Market Basket, Target and finally Walmart just to find distilled water for DH’s CPAP.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, bobpatj said:

Rotterdam is in port, we are too, and we both tested negative! Woohoo! So excited to board soon.

Please let us know how the cruise experience is and was. We want to sail on the Rotterdam on March 20th but won't book until things are the way it was before Omicron, Thanks.

• Like 18

Good morning from sunny Quartzsite.  Our rain yesterday cleared the dust out of the are for a while.

Pies are enjoyed here when I make them, but none are rhubarb.  At Christmas by request, I make two pecan pies and two chocolate pies using my mother's recipe, which is really the Crisco recipe.  The only difference is I use ice water and let the dough rest for a few minutes before rolling it out.  When younger DD starting making pie crust, she had me trying her method and using at least half butter and half Crisco.  After several years of sub-par crusts, I'm back using the old one that I know works for me. 

If I try really hard, my handwriting can still be legible, but if I'm in a hurry making notes, sometimes, I can't read it.  🤣  As an engineer, DH has always printed everything, and his signature has shall we say,  gotten harder to read over the years.  At least, our DDs learned cursive.

The meal suggestion looks good and I have Italian sausage in the freezer and penne instead of rigatoni.  I think I would also leave out the peas.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

Like the Oscar Wilde quote.

We've been to Quebec City several times, and all my pictures are similar to all the great ones already posted.

@smitty34877  🎂 HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TERRY 🥂 

@0106, @Btimmer and @MISTER 67  Welcome to the Daily and hope to see more of you.

@LocoLoco1  Welcome back to the Daily, hope you visit often.

@rafinmd  Roy, we have been following the Crystal saga, and are sorry to see all the troubles they are having.

@mamaofami  Hope today's aide works out as well as the female aide you like.  Hope the news out of South Africa about a new variant does not foretell the new normal.

@kazu  Sorry you had to cancel your cruise, but Jose and his health definitely come first.  

@bobpatj  Glad you failed the test and Bon Voyage.

@Queen of DaNile  Bon Voyage.

Lenda

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Another foggy morning, 34F heading to mid 40's.

Our family loves pie, at family gatherings you'll find nearly 1 pie per person on the dessert table.  I've been the designated "pie baker" since Mom passed away, but my dear sister is getting better every year and her crust is as good as mine now 😉 .  Rhubarb pie is one of the few I don't care for, that and pecan.  I'll take pie over cake any day. 

I had fairly nice handwriting until arthritis hit, now it's too painful to write more than a line at a time.  Great quote, will pass on the meal (carbs) and drink, the wine sounds good.  I don't think I've ever had a wine from Slovenia. 

We've been to Quebec City more times than I can count, and will be there again with several fellow CC'rs this fall on the Nieuw Statendam.  My photos would be the same as any others posted, so won't look for mine. 🙂  

Yesterday was a day of highs and lows for our family.  We're ecstatic that after 3 weeks of looking and making offers on 3 houses but losing them, DS and DDIL now have a house here after moving up from CA.  It's only 14 miles from us (but with traffic about 30 minutes) and we're thrilled.

Our lows were hearing that a niece and great-niece (not the same family) have Covid now.  We're most concerned that our other niece (Mom to our great-niece) gets it, she has MS.  She's vaxed and boosted, praying that will be enough.  

The other low is that our DD's kitty Parkour, after being home nearly a week from the kitty ER and doing well, has had a couple bad days.  He stopped eating, so it was difficult to get the antibiotics, anti-nausea and other meds into him those days.  I think that has improved, but won't know until I contact her today.

Welcome to the Daily @0106and @MISTER 67!

Happy Birthday @smitty34877!!

@Quartzsite CruiserI've always used Crisco for my crusts too.  They've always turned out great.

My Dad was the champion pie eater up until his death at nearly 102.  You would always find him enjoying several different kinds on his plate.

At his 101st birthday party, there were 7 pies with candles.

1350783757_Dads101stbirthdaypies.jpg.569279ae1d744ae88bf287eb5b546ee3.jpg

A typical photo of Dad enjoying several kinds of pie.  Here he was 94 years old.

1801538343_DadandpieChristmas2010.thumb.jpg.f8d82ce47fe12ba8481d44c12601dbb1.jpg

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 0106 said:

Hello-

I enjoy reading the daily but have never posted.  

Welcome to the Daily & thanks for the great pics 🙂 

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Thanks for taking the time for ''The Daily''. I'm new here and really enjoy the various posts.  

Welcome to the Daily 🙂 

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

I share my birthday with John Hancock and intend to celebrate by NOT cooking today.

You deserve to be a “princess for the day”.  A very Happy Birthday!

4A4DEDA7-31B5-48AE-925F-91F1510D1878.jpeg.6733c22ce909d60a602b53212f78b9e2.jpeg

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

How is your driveway doing Jacqui @kazu?  Did anyone locate anymore ice melt for you?

The driveway can stay as it is - I spent 2 days digging ice and I have enough clear for me.  If the salt and mix on the bottom works, my plow can take care of it down the road when we have enough snow.

My friend found me one container of ice melt and phoning around, there wasn’t much anywhere.  I put it on my curb side order for the fun of it and surprise, I scored 3 bags of my good ice melt 👍. It’s not enough if we have another major ice storm but it’s a good start to finish my sidewalk  and be prepared.  I’ll keep stocking up 😉 

1 hour ago, bobpatj said:

Woo Hoo!  Have a great cruise 🚢 

@dfishhope your hand is feeling better fast 🤞 

• Like 32

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday. Thank you for today’s sermon Graham @grapau27. Are these posted on YouTube?  I would love to share them but I couldn’t figure out how. 

I don’t write much anymore except for shopping lists because of my arthritis. Happy Birthday to John Hancock. I’ll pass on the rhubarb pie but I will celebrate other pie’s today.  Gerry @ger_77 I also have difficulty with making pie dough.  I’ve made a version of @HAL Sailer’s but use vodka in place of the vinegar.  However, I don’t make it from scratch very often because it’s so easy to use the Pillsbury crusts. 

Thank you for the recipes Debbie @dfish. I also loved your QC pictures and am looking forward to meeting you there in October. 

Terry @smitty34877 Happy Birthday!!  Enjoy your special day. 🧁🎈🎂🎊

Jacqui @kazu so sorry about canceling your May cruise. But under the circumstances it’s understandable. 

Welcome to the Daily @MISTER 67!

Joy @Seasick Sailor I loved your pictures. 

I have been to QC twice and think I have some pictures on the hard drive that I’ll post later. 

I feel like I’m missing commenting about something. I had a multi quote going but lost it when I got sidetracked making a Costco and TJ’s list for Craig.  So if I missed something or a special occasion know that did read everything. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I made fish chowder and it came out really good. This is the recipe I used. 
https://www.food.com/recipe/jfk-s-new-england-fish-chowder-530630

We get a monthly fish delivery and this was a great way to use some.  The company has a FB group for members and people post a lot of recipes. This one was fascinating because of the back story. 

I found two QC pictures on my phone that I can share now. This was September 2009 after disembarking the Eurodam. We were waiting for our train to go to Montreal. My DM loved this itinerary. My jacket of many colors made an appearance. 
6E34C3CC-7E8F-49D2-9B73-EA5AA16D70A9.jpeg.c126e9ce27c4f47d32b3ee2c9e9c6746.jpeg

There is a lovely little park across the street from the train station. 
15A8AD2D-0759-4A3E-8BC9-F9BCCAB015E3.jpeg.1c0a4ec88571633974bfdc3e42e1f216.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

It took three tries, Market Basket, Target and finally Walmart just to find distilled water for DH’s CPAP.  

I was in our local Stop and Shop and there were literally  full aisles that were empty.It improved slightly by Friday

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, all! DH and I both love pies, and after four pages of reading about them, I’ll be making one today. Probably blueberry, as rhubarb is hibernating deep underground and not available this time of year. Rhubarb can be either delicious or horrible, depending on the plant. I once was given a free root from a neighbour’s garden. Nothing I did could make it’s stalks worth eating. I would get rhubarb from a friend, who’s plant produced soft, sweet bright red stalks. Like @jimgev, I learned to print fast in college, as my cursive notes just couldn’t keep up. The one advantage of later generations not being cursive literate is that they have no idea just how bad my handwriting is when they see it. Copperplate handwriting is equally illegible to them!

@kazu I’m so sorry you have to cancel your cruise. It’s the only thing you can do, of course, but it certainly rubs salt in the wounds right now.

@mamaofami fingers are crossed that this new aide works out. If you can get two good ones that would be amazing and what you and Sam have long since deserved!

@0106 @MISTER 67 Welcome to the one thread on cc that NEVER resembles a game of rollerball. And thanks for the pictures! 
Today I am making a new batch of sauerkraut, and apparently a pie as well. Yesterday’s Char Sui turned out well, with leftovers for another day.

Happy Sunday, especially for @bobpatj with a failed test and about to embark on a BHB!
B2104EC5-BCA7-4A0B-8EEB-1FACE4FF3C00.thumb.jpeg.1e0501867d576b7a12e38bc9fbe22691.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 31