The Daily for Friday 02/18/2022

richwmn

28 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich. I'll be very late with the lists, and if I miss something major please remind me.  Also, do not be offended if I don't like your posts.  I'll try to skim at least but am watching my time.  If I miss something major, please alert me.  Had a lot of internet trouble with the blog today.

@erewhon, yes I did drive to the port.

Roy

Time to enjoy your vacation cruise and not worry about the list. We will survive. Have a great time.

• Like 23

Good morning friends!  Huge rainstorm last night as evidenced by the small pond on the fairway where there is not supposed to be one.  But the clouds will pass and sun is expected this afternoon and through the weekend.  No complaints!  I hope those inundated with snow, ice, cold weather, rain and floods are safe and will be back to better days soon.  Thanks Rich for the Daily!  Hope Roy is having a wonderful time.  I have his live from bookmarked and will check it out after I leave here.  Prayers said for our Daily Care list, and cheers for everyone celebrating.  

We haven't been to Xiamen, China as far as I can recall.  Our trip to China via Princess cruises was in 2010, and I don't think we will be planning anymore cruises there.  

I enjoyed the quote today.  Very funny!

Gosh no on the tuna tartare!  Steak tartare either.  I would however enjoy @ger_77'Gerry's chicken-bacon-ranch pizza.  Sounds yummy!🍕

Batteries are most helpful and necessary.  We have a drawer full of them.

Caregivers are so very important as our loved ones age or become ill and unable to help themselves.  Cheers to all the caregivers.  There's a special place in heaven for you all.

National Drink Wine Day is my favorite.  Yay!  Any excuse to drink wine.🍷

@marshhawk(don't have your first name unfortunately) good luck today with the appointment.  I hope you get all your questions answered.  You were mentioning hotel prices in Florida yesterday.  Two weeks ago I made a reservation in Plantation for Dec. 26 and last night checked pricing to see if there were any changes.  Good grief!  The price went from $175 to $260 in two weeks!  Booking early always seems to be the best policy.  

@smitty34877Terry, I hope all goes smoothly with Tana's return home later.  Praying daily for her and her son as well as your family of helpers.  

@aliaschiefenjoy those DGKids while they're little.  Before long they'll be pre-teens staring at their phones! 😂

@mamaofamiCarol, wow the screws coming to the surface sounds painful.  I hope you can get some help for Sam soon.  

@Cruzin Terrigreat to hear the injections are working so far on your hands.  If it comes to surgery I hope it goes as smooth as my DD's carpal tunnel surgery last month.  Two days of pain (she was limiting the meds), but great after that.  Do the PT as it really helps.  Two weeks later she was back to work.  Good luck!

@grapau27Graham and Pauline, safe flight home even if bumpy.  You had such a wonderful holiday in Spain and we appreciate you sharing it with us.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich. I'll be very late with the lists, and if I miss something major please remind me.  Also, do not be offended if I don't like your posts.  I'll try to skim at least but am watching my time.  If I miss something major, please alert me.  Had a lot of internet trouble with the blog today.

Roy

Roy,  Don’t worry about the lists.  Relax, Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 25

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

@kazu,I hope you can get out safely when this nasty storm calms down.

I won’t be going anywhere today - other than try to guess the right time to squeeze in a walk for Marley (if possible).  Hopefully the rain lightens up before the deep freeze so I can walk Marley & treat the driveway to try to fight the ice. 🤞 The roads are going to be deadly.  There are already a number flooded so it’s not going to be pretty.  The car is staying in the garage.

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I am having a hard time understanding how the wire in one of Sam’s fingers that he broke and had surgery on has two screws that have worked their way to the surface of the finger. 

Carol, give the surgeon’s office a call asap.  This is not all that unusual and it means it’s time to remove some of the wires.  It happens when there is thinner areas of the body that don’t have much fat and the wires/screws can be removed once everything is fully healed.

Voice of experience here - my elbow is tiny and I had the same issue.  The surgeon removed the screws and wires in about 45 minutes (Mine went from my elbow to my shoulder) so it shouldn’t take long to take care of Sam’s hopefully 🤞 

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

So far so good with the hands.  I am typing faster and NO PAIN.  

That is really good news, Terri 👍 Go easy though, please so you don’t exacerbate anything.

45 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich. I'll be very late with the lists, and if I miss something major please remind me. 

Roy, don’t worry about the lists.  Soak in every minute of enjoyment on that cruise!   If you need someone to do them while you are cruising I am happy to lend a hand.  I won’t do as good a job as you but will certainly try.  Have a wonderful cruise 🙂 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

I will give the cares rotation a rest while cruising. 

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui Jose, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Jose’s blood tests
Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Superoma in isolation
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
Marshhawk meeting with doctor today
Tana to be discharged still with poor prognosis
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Cruzin single with symptomatic covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

6 BHB with passengers
Cruising-along helping neighbor with military ID
Cruzn Terri hand problem diagnosed as treatable carpal tunnel
2 Days for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to 2/27)
1 day for DeeniEncinitas (Riviera to 2/19 to 3/8)
0106 {Zuiderdam to 2/27),  ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6),  Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20), kb4683  (Regal Princess to 2/19),  and myself and Lady Hudson(Enchantment OTS to 2/25)at sea
Welcome home grapau27
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Today's alternate menu selection is garden salad,  Roasted Beef Tenderloin, and carrot cake which I expect to have tonight.  These are my selections from last night:

dishes17.jpg

Roy

• Like 42
  • Thanks 8

Good morning. Sun is almost up. House feels cold. Time to start coffee and turn heat up. I read yesterday and even had a question but got lost with golf talk. I felt like I was changing the subject if I posted a question so to not interrupt I waited until this morning.  @StLouisCruisers could you send me an email? I have some questions about GSA 2023. My email is alsous at msn dot com.  Thanks Linda

• Like 24

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

As others have said, don't worry about the lists, just enjoy yourself.  You have certainly earned it.  

@Cruzin TerriGreat news about the hands not hurting.  Looks like you are a winner.

@mamaofami Wow, on Sam's fingers.   @kazugave good advice.

• Like 27

Good morning.  Sorry I'm late, had to have my stitches out from my BCC surgery last week.

Everyday is national wine day here.  And having been a caregiver to my MIL for 7 years I know how important they are.  Will pass on the meal, I don't like anything raw.

Have not been to China, looking forward to the photo's.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Effen Blood Orange Mimosa:

Ingredients
1 part EFFEN® Blood Orange Vodka
1 part Orange Juice
3 parts Wine, Sparkling

Instructions
Shake first two ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled champagne flute. Top with sparkling wine. Garnish with a blood orange wedge.

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 9.59.30 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

27 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today’s care list:

Jose’s blood tests
Superoma in isolation

6 BHB with passengers
0106 {Zuiderdam to 2/27),  ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6),  Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20), kb4683  (Regal Princess to 2/19),  and myself and Lady Hudson(Enchantment OTS to 2/25)at sea
Welcome home grapau27
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Today's alternate menu selection is garden salad,  Roasted Beef Tenderloin, and carrot cake which I expect to have tonight.  These are my selections from last night:

dishes17.jpg

Roy

Thank you Roy!  Your dinner tonight sounds perfect to me.  Last night's was wonderful as well.  Enjoy!

• Like 22

22 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good morning. Sun is almost up. House feels cold. Time to start coffee and turn heat up. I read yesterday and even had a question but got lost with golf talk. I felt like I was changing the subject if I posted a question so to not interrupt I waited until this morning.  @StLouisCruisers could you send me an email? I have some questions about GSA 2023. My email is alsous at msn dot com.  Thanks Linda

Will do, Linda.

• Like 13

Good morning from cool, sunny Quartzsite.  This will be a quick post since today is house cleaning day.  😒

In 2002 on the Volendam APEC cruise, we called at Xiamen.  For a while it looked like we would not be getting off the ship as the authorities kept wanting more and more information, etc., from the ship.  Finally, Captain Peter Harris called their bluff by announcing over the speakers in all cabins that if the ship wasn't cleared in a certain number of minutes, we would be leaving.  Rather than lose face the officials cleared the ship.  However, when we got to the gangway, the Chinese officials there had not gotten the word that we could leave.  That was straightened out in just a few minutes.

Xiamen is a city between Shanghai and Hong Kong just across the straits from Taiwan.  Like many Chinese cities there are modern areas and older areas mixed together.

The waterfront area

IMG_1422.thumb.JPG.6c6b88b0b74b80604967a651856aba31.JPG

IMG_1424.thumb.JPG.8c3a5705bf09d4efff7cc0b0966d7245.JPG

IMG_1426.thumb.JPG.e07e87a17bef2da393cc8abe969250e3.JPG

Xiamen is on an island, and we took a boat over to a smaller island that was their resort and beach area where we took a little tourist train around the island.

IMG_1436.thumb.JPG.d5e6d891813731b20b790a3657c1f99b.JPG

IMG_1437.thumb.JPG.f0d69bded62b7c9bfef9567033ef65e3.JPG

IMG_1439.thumb.JPG.14100d63744638aa7f7f7a09ac51e096.JPG

This tree was growing out of cracks in the rocks.

IMG_1441.thumb.JPG.5b2e0ca95b3bb04671b96a6d5f41d4f1.JPG

IMG_1444.thumb.JPG.1cba5e1deafce3609c42a094e32eabd2.JPG

IMG_1453.thumb.JPG.542ddda9bfd6b63b327a45890830a530.JPG

IMG_1454.thumb.JPG.739189750b4a0cc8f51bf941371dec1f.JPG

IMG_1456.thumb.JPG.776b75e12c9b82dde45dc05d10b0ac3f.JPG

IMG_1459.thumb.JPG.2399b1b8784d04d8d135607393b43de1.JPG

IMG_1461.thumb.JPG.dc82710272a7906f789f864675814f9f.JPG

Back in Xiamen, we came across some urban renewal and a traditional market.

IMG_1464.thumb.JPG.a4978adacd340564c986942dd9277fef.JPG

IMG_1473.thumb.JPG.796beb89f96e24a17c7e7ce06ba2f20d.JPG

Lenda

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

@grapau27I hope you and Pauline get home safely even if it's a bumpy ride.

@mamaofamiGood luck with Sam's finger.  I think @kazugave you good advice.

@Cruzin TerriGlad to hear your hands are not hurting.

@rafinmdI agree with the others, enjoy your cruise and don't worry about the lists.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich @richwmnand to our 🛳️'cruiser' Roy @rafinmdfor keeping the Care and Celebration Lists.

Life got in the way yesterday and I finally read all the pages in the evening.😲

We have been to various cities in China thanks to a Viking River and land cruise that included two flights and some bussing. 😊All good and well organized.

🙏Prayers for all in need and Happy Friday.....tomorrow will be up to 77 degrees!😎

Katie

FB_IMG_1645195632917.jpg

FB_IMG_1645156018660.jpg

• Like 22
  • Haha 12

Good morning!  Good collection of days.  The wine one will for sure be well-received here.  Care takers have the hardest job in the world.  We had an interesting situation in that even though my mom and dad had divorced some 25 years earlier, he came back to take care of her when she became bedridden with rheumatoid arthritis.  He really loved that woman.  Eventually it became too much for him and she required more skilled nursing, so she did go to a care facility, but he certainly earned his ticket to heaven.

DH is a big fan of tuna tartare, but I don't eat it.  Certain ceviches are great, so it's not the raw fish -- just the raw tuna, I guess.

@rafinmd, Wishing you a great and restorative journey.  

@kazu, I hope you get your garden started.  We had an offbeat winter here in So Cal.  Usually I have nice winter crops of cabbage and bok choy -- a few other things -- but we had so much hot weather, everything bolted fast.  On to summer crops already, I guess.

@smitty34877, I'm so sorry to hear that Tana is going home without having improved too much.  We continue to pray for good news about Tana.

And as for us...we are heading down Mexico way on the beautiful Koningsdam -- a trip rescheduled from January when there was too much Covid about.  There is a certain Dailyite who wears a hat.  I believe he was on the Cal Coast with us in October and will be onboard again with us next week.  He loves Mexico as much as we do.  We'll certainly stop to say "Hi."

Thanks Rich and Company for our Daily.  Wishing everyone a fine Friday.  Off to get our covid tests!   😊

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s still windy here but the rain stopped and the temperature dropped.

@grapau27, watching the BBC and all the damage from “Eunice”. I hope you arrived home safe and no property issues 🤞

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists ❤️🙏❤️

• Like 22

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Today’s care list:

Jose’s blood tests
Superoma in isolation

6 BHB with passengers
Welcome home grapau27

dishes17.jpg

Roy

Enjoy your cruise Roy!

We are less than a month away from our next voyage...

• Like 20

Hello all,

Currently 4.30pm here and power has just been restored after a severe storm last night.  Internet is still down so I am using my phone as a hotspot.

Currently watching Big Jet TV streaming from a very windy London Heathrow.  some good sideways on landings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPQh1FrbOc0

With the power back up we are recharging all batteries for our torches, cell phones and anything else we can find.

National Wine day    ......  Cheers!

Enjoy your cruise Roy.

• Like 25

Good morning all!

It looks like it will be a nice, sunny day here.  I'm caught up on the house cleaning, so hope to enjoy the garden today.  

We have hundreds of batteries, but it seems like we always need to buy more.  Hear, hear for drink wine day!!  Caregivers deserve a special place in heaven.  

I'll give a hard pass on the meal, and China isn't on my bucket list.  The wine and drink both sound good though.  Tonight will probably be chicken pot pie to finish up the rotisserie chicken.

@marshhawkgood luck with your appointment today.

@Cruzin Terrigreat news that the pain in your hands is gone!  

Continued prayers for @kazuand everyone on the care list.

• Like 24

@grapau27, Graham, hope you and Pauline travel safely. Eunice is certainly wrecking a toll on London. The Girl Guide/Girl Scout world  center there was supposed to open tomorrow after being closed due to Covid but Eunice blew the roof off a part of the building. Take care. Susan0CFEA686-4171-4ABB-9273-206B5DC8B238.jpeg.500b9c3c01920c3f518e164c622071f1.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Popular days. Batteries are important, especially for all our various remotes. Yes, to Drink Wine Day! Caregivers deserve a salute every day.

I'll pass on the tuna (fish). The drink looks good but pass on the wine.

I've done a Viking river cruise in China (2005), but haven't been to Xiamen. Thanks for the pictures.

We had about a half inch of snow overnight, and we won't go above freezing today. Yesterday the power flickered due to the high winds, but thankfully it stayed on. There's some flooding of area roads due to all the rain and snow melt.

A sad story here. A female Uber driver was missing, and her body was found a few days ago. An arrest was made last night, partly because they found her dash camera (in a nearby town) and it showed the murderer holding a gun to her head, and her begging for her life, telling him she had 4 children. His girlfriend had called the Uber and it was her gun he used. He tried to transfer money from the driver's bank account to his girlfriend's phone. Just awful. The local news people can barely tell the story. I hope they arrest the girlfriend as well! I just can't understand people sometimes.

@rafinmd I hope you're relaxing and enjoying being on a ship again.

@marshhawk Good luck with your appointment today.

@kazu Stay safe from the storm.

@smitty34877 Wishing the best for Tana as she transitions to being back home.

@aliaschief Enjoy having the family there.

@grapau27 Safe trip home.

@mamaofami Not something you or Sam needed, but I have known people who've had screws or pins from their ankle surgeries work their way to the surface.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad your hands are feeling better already and hope it lasts. Safe travels home.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 11