The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 25th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning Dailyites. Thanks Rich for your faithful dedication. 

My goodness, I realized this morning my prayer book is almost as long as Roy's. Sandi sending up prayers the family makes it home safe and sound. It saddens me to see the people of Ukraine suffering and the people killed yesterday.

Last night the Beach Boy tribute was so much fun. We had more food on our table and started passing platters to our other tables of friends. I brought a sushi platter and have no idea where it went! 

Ann I would love the wine of the day. Maybe Xbox person will help on the wine while you're away. Debbie I love just plain roasted corn dipped in butter and salt and pepper. 

Tonight is Mahjongg, so making dinner early. Air fryer chicken, avocado salad and rice. 

Wishing everyone a beautiful day. Prayers, blessings and Cheers. Xx

Maybe these bananas need to kiss and make up..

image.png.50e3dcaaec70bde07b2127b19babf50d.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning All,

Just a brief post as I have to be in the dentist’s chair in a little bit. 😞

@aliaschief Sorry to hear about your port today. Stavenger is such a lovely port. The story about the man wandering (pobresito) reminds me of a story @Copper10-8 told about an entertainer who was a bit sleepy…..

@cat shepard I’m willing to hold the wine fort down for you. I can email you after the dentist and errands.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! 

I like the "Kiss" part in "Kiss and Make Up."

Sam and I have been bachelor-ing it for a few days while Sue and DSIL are away for a sibling

get-together in Ohio. Sam decided that 4 this morning was long enough to sleep. I told him to knock it off but I must have hurt his feelings as he walked out and didn't come back until 6:30. Then I fed him along with his early morning pills. He was moping yesterday without the rest of his pack being home waiting by the front door for them to come home!  ☺️ 

We agree on "Canelleto" as being one of our favorites along with "Tamarind" depending on which ship we are on. 

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 31

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! We have nothing to make up for, so we'll just kiss today.  I don't remember the last time I had a banana split, although for dinner last night I had a banana with some peanut butter on it.  Yay for the National Park Service founders - there are so many beautiful parks out there.

It's going to be a warm one out there again for us with a forecasted high of +30(85), a day of rain tomorrow then back into the mid 30's for all of next week.  We were treated to a morning of rain yesterday - a gentle rain with no wind, which was good for all the lawns and plants in the yard.

Well DH and I went out yesterday for pork chops - he couldn't wait for dinner, so we went for a late lunch around 2PM.  I decided I might as well order pork chops too, as nothing else on the menu seemed to appeal to me.  They were good, but I still don't have my regular appetite back (which is a good thing!), so I ended up bringing at least half of my meal home.  I did order wine though, and being a red wine drinker, (I know white with white meat, etc.), ordered a glass of Malbec.  Well @Horizon chaser 1957, you were right, it didn't taste the same, in fact, it tasted somewhat metallic to me.  I had DH try it, but he didn't get the metallic taste, so I'm pretty sure it's my taster.  I'll have to tweak that before we get on a BHB!!!   DH ended up eating my leftovers for dinner and as I mentioned, I wasn't hungry, so had a banana with some peanut butter on it.

I like today's menu suggestion, but looking at the pictures makes me want to take out my dental floss right away.  LOL   Although I love corn, I always get it stuck in my teeth, so keep the floss and picks on standby in the nearest bathroom.  DH wants to get the barbecue going tonight, so has suggested that we grill some smokies,  I'll head to the freezer and pick out a package of them and will likely just make up a small coleslaw to go as a side.  And wine - hey, I'm no quitter!

Prayers for everyone who is hurting - especially the people of Ukraine who have been fending off the terror for 6 months.  Cheers for the happy celebrations.

Stay safe everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Kobe was actually my embarkation port in the middle of a strange trip.  I started with a Queen Elizabeth Transatlantic, then a long flight to Angkor Wat for a few days and another long flight to Japan for a trans=Pacific cruise,  Although we started with an overnight in Kobe, the first day I was pretty wiped out from the travel and did just a bit of sightseeing the second day.

An overview of Kobe:

kobeview.jpg

The Kobe tower:

kobetower.jpg

Kobe experienced a serious earthquake in 1995. 

erthquakemonument.jpg

There was a plaque in the monument with a tribute to the victims of the quake.  My photo of the plaque did not come out but here's the inscription:

This Earthquake took some things.
Lives, Jobs, Communities, Cityscape, Our Memories.
These things appear safe, permanent.
Even moments before, we cannot know,.

This earthquake left many things behind.
Kindness, Compassion, Human Bonds, Friendship

This flame links the lives which were taken away,
With our thoughts, the survivors.

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the Kobe photos.  Sad news about the earthquake.

Unfortunately I just got some sad news here, too.  A neighborhood email went around a short time ago telling us some news about our neighbors.  They live across the street and down one house from us.  They were involved in a single car accident just north of Knoxville on their way to Detroit.  This is the same route we take to visit our kids and just did that a couple weeks ago.  David was driving and ran off the road and died at the scene. Linda is in critical condition in a Knoxville hospital.  No mention of their dog which they adopted last winter.  I am so sad for them.  Even though they kept to themselves a lot (like we do), you get used to seeing them coming and going.  David always went right out to the mailbox whenever the mail truck went by.  Always anxious to get his mail.  I'll be praying for dear Linda that she recovers fully and quickly returns home.  You never know what the day will bring.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 21

Happy birthday to the National Park Service! On this day in 1916, President Woodrow Wilson signed the National Park Service Organic Act, creating the agency.  

I have been lucky enough to visit many of the parks.  In 1989 my DH and I took an 8 week trip across the US in a motor home.  We planned our route based on the park locations.

My favorite park is Assateague Island National Seashore.

B574EA37-C477-4540-9C74-8856F1090DB2.jpeg.bb9ad8bb520a4c1798e01895fbd0cdeb.jpeg

Did you read Misty of Chincoteague as a child?  This part of the park is where the famous pony swim takes place every July.

3B67A0EF-F57A-4529-9D9A-6F24385FBD78.jpeg.3cbbf09bb10a40ccdb743cc93a9c670b.jpeg

Wishing everyone the best day possible!

Edited by 0106
  • Like 33

Good morning to all. I think I will make the corn salad to go  with the pasta and chickpea dish that is on our menu tonight. Thanks to Debbie once again for the beautiful pictures and good ideas @dfish.

We have not been to the port and I am still thinking about the quote. We are usually good about kissing and making up  after disagreements around here. It has become more important with our increased numbers in the family.

@kazu, Jacqui, I hope you get some answers from the doctor and I am sorry you had another spill. How is your wrist doing?

@Heartgrove, Our two dogs act the same way when someone is not here,even for a few hours. If I move out to the couch when DH is snoring, my Fred will also come and lie down  nearby. 

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, I was sorry to hear of your neighbors’ accident. Sending prayers for all.

Terry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Didn’t see much of Stavanger today other then the recycling dock noise and scraps. So here are a few shots of our sail-away just now. Got attacked by what I think are the infamous Midges on the veranda.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.9471888645abe02095c73b9499c59948.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c333c153a90ecdd1d28e81cce4eb8ddb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.39c83b8214e67fac7271baa8b853e071.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cd4dc4463379916e984cd5ab40591f45.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bb3850c405300205765d1b5f6db54315.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Overhead Fred said:

I meant to post this sooner but our router problems got in the way.

Saturday's (8/20) sunset on Lower Buckhorn Lake (aka Deer Bay) -

20220820_200558.thumb.jpg.726b0cb999da33cd1d751255664b77c2.jpg

1 hour ago, Overhead Fred said:

I meant to post this sooner but our router problems got in the way.

Saturday's (8/20) sunset on Lower Buckhorn Lake (aka Deer Bay) -

20220820_200558.thumb.jpg.726b0cb999da33cd1d751255664b77c2.jpg

Beautiful!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update. It’s a cool and sunny start, but it’s supposed to be hot this afternoon and tomorrow.

Halifax Pier 21 webcam has a great view of our 2 BHB.

Banana split sounds good on a hot day.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.🙏❤️

Well, it certainly is Holland America day in Halifax.  Thanks for the post.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Sandi my heart goes out to Linda for the loss of David. Prayers Linda can heal and come home. Hoping the dog is found.

I told you our friends brother passed away last week. We finally found out he died in his sleep and after repeated phone calls unanswered they requested a wellness check and police found him. Looks like he was dead 6 or 7 days.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 13

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Unfortunately I just got some sad news here, too.  A neighborhood email went around a short time ago telling us some news about our neighbors.  They live across the street and down one house from us.  They were involved in a single car accident just north of Knoxville on their way to Detroit.  This is the same route we take to visit our kids and just did that a couple weeks ago.  David was driving and ran off the road and died at the scene. Linda is in critical condition in a Knoxville hospital.  No mention of their dog which they adopted last winter.  I am so sad for them.  Even though they kept to themselves a lot (like we do), you get used to seeing them coming and going.  David always went right out to the mailbox whenever the mail truck went by.  Always anxious to get his mail.  I'll be praying for dear Linda that she recovers fully and quickly returns home.  You never know what the day will bring.

That is so sad.  Prayers for Linda for recovery and support and healing in losing David.

8 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sandi my heart goes out to Linda for the loss of David. Prayers Linda can heal and come home. Hoping the dog is found.

I told you our friends brother passed away last week. We finally found out he died in his sleep and after repeated phone calls unanswered they requested a wellness check and police found him. Looks like he was dead 6 or 7 days.

That is so sad.  Living alone that is a great fear as one ages.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

So sad news, .

all  of  my  prayers  them and  family.

Jim.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Kiss and make up is always a good idea.  Not crazy about banana splits, I would order a hot fudge sundae instead 🙂  and I salute the National Park Service Founders.  We have been to 26 of the national parks, and have a few puzzles showing each one plus a couple games about them.  Our favorite, of course, is the first national park (Yellowstone) and we visit it every year.  We have our reservations for next year.

The quote has a grain of truth.  I'm another one who savors my alone time -- but it isn't because people have disappointed me.  The meal would be more of a side dish, but I think it sounds very good (minus the cilantro please!)  The drink and wine both sound good too. Have never been to the port.

Today DH is working at the Mariner game, I'll be making the pickled beets for our picnic this weekend and may (depending on energy) shop vac the garage while his car is out of there.

Sandi @StLouisCruisershow sad about your neighbors. 😞  Prayers for Linda's full recovery.

Gerry @ger_77I'm glad to hear you aren't a quitter re the wine lol.  I hope the metallic taste goes away quickly!  Do let us know, inquiring minds....  😉  

A couple photos from some of our visits with DD, DSIL and the DGSs to Yellowstone.

DD likes to take "shadow photos" like this one.  Shadows in the steam.

1034296049_Yellowstoneshadows.thumb.jpg.57baa8c604cb9e7a95220856d7279b70.jpg

This year the grandsons went up a level in the Junior Ranger program.  They are now "Bison" Junior Rangers.

1921815757_JuniorRangers.jpg.52044ccd78f884477cdfeb22d5677ae4.jpg

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I guess kiss and make up is a good thing. I haven't had a banana split in many years. National Park Service founders are to be saluted; love National Parks! In 2015 and 2016 BFF and I did driving road trips over 5K miles each, visiting many NP's, as I'd seen none before.

I don't agree with the quote; some people are happy as loners.

The meal sounds good; I've never had it. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I've never been to Kobe. Thanks for the pictures.

It's sunny and going to be hot and humid today. I managed to get the lawn mowed yesterday, with taking a break due to the heat. Today BFF wants to go out for late lunch/early dinner. We're trying again to find a local restaurant; a couple of years ago we tried to eat there and couldn't find it even with the car's gps!

@marshhawk It sounds like big changes are on the way for you.

@aliaschief Wow, never heard of such a thing! Sad for those looking forward to tours, but hopefully people were able to walk around the town and see things. Also sad about the wandering person.

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for a safe trip home for DS and family. Such sad news about your neighbors.

@kazu Sorry to hear about the knee and the fall. I hope your doctor can figure out what's going on with your issues. Prayers.

@Overhead Fred Great photo!

@Seasick Sailor Sad about your friend's DB. And as @dfish said, a concern when one lives alone. Although I know if BFF didn't hear from me daily, he'd be on it!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe and wear your mask if needed.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am so sorry to hear this Sandi. 😔 My prayers for David & Linda 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

@kazu, Jacqui, I hope you get some answers from the doctor and I am sorry you had another spill. How is your wrist doing?

Thanks.  My wrist is nearly completely healed now.  probably because i wasn’t picking up heavy objects and dogs 😉 

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oh I am so sorry to hear this 😔. So sad dying alone and not being missed all that time 😢 .  Prayers for him 🙏🏻 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Good Afternoon Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion is a winner.  @dfish thanks for the pictures and recipes.  Last time I had it was December on the Dawn.  
I finally got to speak with my PCC, I’ve been trying since 8/12.  He says he was on vacation despite his voicemail saying he was in the office.  I managed to save some money on our March cruise.  Sadly our Zaandam cruise was not so lucky, but only because it took so long to speak with someone.😡

It’s a another hot and sunny day here.  The crew working on our sidewalks has been ever busy.  We should have the concrete poured next week.  Then no going in or out of the driveway for two days.

I hope everyone has a good Thursday.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all. I think I will make the corn salad to go  with the pasta and chickpea dish that is on our menu tonight. Thanks to Debbie once again for the beautiful pictures and good ideas @dfish.

We have not been to the port and I am still thinking about the quote. We are usually good about kissing and making up  after disagreements around here. It has become more important with our increased numbers in the family.

@Heartgrove, Our two dogs act the same way when someone is not here,even for a few hours. If I move out to the couch when DH is snoring, my Fred will also come and lie down  nearby. 

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, I was sorry to hear of your neighbors’ accident. Sending prayers for all.

Terry

Thank you Terry.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thanks Joy.  I hope Linda makes it through this too.  I'm not sure the dog was with them, but it's probable.  Otherwise he would be with a friend or kennel here.

How sad to hear your friend's brother was left alone so long without contact.  I know someone else that happened to.  It's good to set up a contact to look in on you occasionally if you live alone.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

That is so sad.  Prayers for Linda for recovery and support and healing in losing David.

That is so sad.  Living alone that is a great fear as one ages.

Thanks Debbie.  I'm sure she'd be happy to have all the prayers here.

1 hour ago, irishjim said:

So sad news, .

all  of  my  prayers  them and  family.

Jim.

Thank you Jim.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Kiss and make up is always a good idea.  Not crazy about banana splits, I would order a hot fudge sundae instead 🙂  and I salute the National Park Service Founders.  We have been to 26 of the national parks, and have a few puzzles showing each one plus a couple games about them.  Our favorite, of course, is the first national park (Yellowstone) and we visit it every year.  We have our reservations for next year.

The quote has a grain of truth.  I'm another one who savors my alone time -- but it isn't because people have disappointed me.  The meal would be more of a side dish, but I think it sounds very good (minus the cilantro please!)  The drink and wine both sound good too. Have never been to the port.

Today DH is working at the Mariner game, I'll be making the pickled beets for our picnic this weekend and may (depending on energy) shop vac the garage while his car is out of there.

Sandi @StLouisCruisershow sad about your neighbors. 😞  Prayers for Linda's full recovery.

Gerry @ger_77I'm glad to hear you aren't a quitter re the wine lol.  I hope the metallic taste goes away quickly!  Do let us know, inquiring minds....  😉  

A couple photos from some of our visits with DD, DSIL and the DGSs to Yellowstone.

DD likes to take "shadow photos" like this one.  Shadows in the steam.

1034296049_Yellowstoneshadows.thumb.jpg.57baa8c604cb9e7a95220856d7279b70.jpg

This year the grandsons went up a level in the Junior Ranger program.  They are now "Bison" Junior Rangers.

1921815757_JuniorRangers.jpg.52044ccd78f884477cdfeb22d5677ae4.jpg

Thanks for your prayers Carolyn.  Pretty exciting news for the boys, moving up a level.  They look so excited.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

@StLouisCruisers such sad news about Linda and David.  Prayers for that family.

Roy

I'm sure their family would appreciate your prayers, Roy.  Thanks.

49 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I guess kiss and make up is a good thing. I haven't had a banana split in many years. National Park Service founders are to be saluted; love National Parks! In 2015 and 2016 BFF and I did driving road trips over 5K miles each, visiting many NP's, as I'd seen none before.

I don't agree with the quote; some people are happy as loners.

The meal sounds good; I've never had it. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I've never been to Kobe. Thanks for the pictures.

It's sunny and going to be hot and humid today. I managed to get the lawn mowed yesterday, with taking a break due to the heat. Today BFF wants to go out for late lunch/early dinner. We're trying again to find a local restaurant; a couple of years ago we tried to eat there and couldn't find it even with the car's gps!

@marshhawk It sounds like big changes are on the way for you.

@aliaschief Wow, never heard of such a thing! Sad for those looking forward to tours, but hopefully people were able to walk around the town and see things. Also sad about the wandering person.

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for a safe trip home for DS and family. Such sad news about your neighbors.

@kazu Sorry to hear about the knee and the fall. I hope your doctor can figure out what's going on with your issues. Prayers.

@Overhead Fred Great photo!

@Seasick Sailor Sad about your friend's DB. And as @dfish said, a concern when one lives alone. Although I know if BFF didn't hear from me daily, he'd be on it!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe and wear your mask if needed.

Really sad news indeed.  Thanks for your kind words.

31 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am so sorry to hear this Sandi. 😔 My prayers for David & Linda 🙏🏻 

Thanks.  My wrist is nearly completely healed now.  probably because i wasn’t picking up heavy objects and dogs 😉 

Oh I am so sorry to hear this 😔. So sad dying alone and not being missed all that time 😢 .  Prayers for him 🙏🏻 

Thanks for your prayers for them both, Jacqui.  They are top of my list right now.

I do hope your knee does all right.  And happy the wrist is nearly healed.  Have to stay in shape for your upcoming cruise.

9 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@StLouisCruisers Sorry about your neighbours.  Prayers for Linda and David.

@Seasick Sailor Sad news.  It's difficult to live alone.  I know a couple of widows who make it a point to call each other at 9am each morning to make sure the other is okay.

Thank you so much Melanie.  I was so upset to hear about it because it could have been any of us retirees here heading out to visit family.  Even us a short week or two ago.

• Like 20