The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 13th, 2022

richwmn

Another pleasant, but dry day here in the Pacific NW.  Who said it always rains in Seattle?

Appreciate the mention of the Navy Birthday.  I enjoyed serving my 20 years.  Incidentally, my avatar, a helium atom, is the collar device I wore the six years I was a temporary Warrant Officer, during the Vietnam era.  It signifies that my specialty was electronics.

Ray

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting and I’d be willing to give it a try.  It has been a busy day with meetings and I finally had a break.  I called the upsell department and snagged the remaining corner aft cabin on our November cruise!  I’m doing the happy dance😁.  Rain is moving in and it’s supposed to get really bad in a few hours.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 22

56 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A late good morning from windy central Texas.  I'm going to repost my pictures of Malaga before I begin commenting on the Daily.  This is just in case I get side tracked again. 😉

We have been to Malaga three times. In 2016 and 2017, we were on the Prinsendam, and in 2019, the Veedam stopped there on her way to Boston.

On our first visit, we took the Ho-Ho with a stop at the Castle of Gibralfaro.

DSC07193.thumb.JPG.a54fb3812ae7447e1db852f4f2277b29.JPG

DSC07195.thumb.JPG.9d1c6b80923b97514960e3980fd88bd5.JPG

The Elegant Explorer from the fortress

DSC07199.thumb.JPG.3d544559f4d8fa343900e8f8ded5dac6.JPG

On our other two visits, we took the shuttle from the ship to town and walked around.  This is the view from the shuttle dropoff.

DSC02675.thumb.JPG.6f7d39410bb76ded35ad78ec3948ee69.JPG

We visited Picasso museum and birth place.  Evidently we were'nt allowed to take pictures in the latter.  The outside of the museum and the central courtyard.

DSC02679.thumb.JPG.0569eab291364b74ec38c8582c97aef4.JPG

DSC02680.thumb.JPG.a22911117efabe2c3d8bf07eca56c6da.JPG

The Roman Theater and the Alcazaba from street level

DSC02699.thumb.JPG.5fa1ea02fcced96d4b8d417d1488e6fa.JPG

DSC02700.thumb.JPG.dba91415213c0ac2ff43edf804d16c24.JPG

In 2019, we found the elevator which took us to the top of the Alcazaba

DSC08218.thumb.JPG.bb98845933ce20c655c78378aaf525dd.JPG

DSC08221.thumb.JPG.51cd910060bbee56b8fec706ef0ff75b.JPG

DSC08210.thumb.JPG.279b0536710f52af0b209362d1623b20.JPG

Malaga from the Alcazaba

DSC08216.thumb.JPG.a5835f404dcf8ae30069acd0dc0fe6bb.JPG

A nice beach

DSC07191.thumb.JPG.ca11264a1e888ac59fb7ca13bf8f1437.JPG

After our Ho-Ho tour in 2016, we walked around town.  We were there during Fashion Week, but did not see any of the shows.  Different sections of the seats were reserved for various designers, some of who's names I recognized.
DSC07224.thumb.JPG.f6da7e94244dd2291206566698ae50bc.JPG

DSC07225.thumb.JPG.ec9bdcb170a0ec293f7dfe519037b49e.JPG

In 2017 and 2019, there were festivals in town, along with band concerts and more informal performances.

DSC08185.thumb.JPG.a4266d1d91e675a47d23317ed21dc79d.JPG

DSC02710.thumb.JPG.c1203da0db986cb5dee4179920b54d0b.JPG

DSC08227.thumb.JPG.1f857557b6a301a27d95cf1aa15b082a.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

Graham 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This morning started out as a busy morning, but now I am catching up on the Fleet/Daily and some computer work.  This afternoon, I plan to spend reading, if possible.

DH is doing alright, but he is sleeping a lot.  He managed to sleep some in the hospital, but it's not really a place conducive for sleep, especially during the day.  One of the side effects of the anesthesia and the procedure is numbness in his right leg.  Evidently, the nerve controlling that leg is moved around quite a bit during the procedure.  It takes 4 or so days to return to normal.  While walking would be good for him, until he can really use that leg and feel where his foot is, it is safer for both of us for him to rest.

While he is still not in pain, he was beginning to feel some slight discomfort.  In order to get ahead of any pain rather than trying to get it under control, he took two of the prescriptions, both of which make him sleepy.  We both managed to get some sleep last night, but while I was tired, I really wasn't sleepy.  I guess my mind is still in overdrive.

I will wish the US Navy a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  My grandfather was in the Navy in WWI, and I have his Navy ring which he wore everyday.

I guess I'm skeptical about some things, but DH is our main skeptic.  The other two days are interesting, but I know DH would not celebrate wearing a suit -- EVER!   That was an advantage of having his own company, he could wear what he wanted, usually very, very casual unless he was at a plant or making a presentation.

Albert Camus mush have had me in mind with the quote of the day.  I much prefer warm weather, but not the triple digits we had this year.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.  

@msmayor  Welcome back!  We missed you, and are glad you and your family, especially you dear granddaughter, Lana, are all fine.

@smitty34877  Terry, actually, DH will have an x-ray and appointment with the surgeon every two months for a year.  It takes about 10 months for the bone to be fully healed and fused.  It turns out less invasive is not minimally invasive.  DH has a 2-3 inch incision, and the next one will be bigger.  It's necessary because of the machine that drills the holes in the bone and places the zip ties.

@marshhawk  I hope they can fix the cavity and reglue the crown at the same appointment.

@ottahand7  Thank you for your pictures of Malaga.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, it mush have been word of mouth that had the ladies showing up on the wrong day.  At least, you all made lemonade out of the error.  I once showed up for a meeting when the hostess was ill.  They forgot to call to tell me she was sick.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks for another picture of cute Miss Ellie.  Also, thanks for your pictures of Malaga.

@aliaschief  Thanks for the picture of the Maasdam in her new role.  That was the one S class ship we did not sail on.

@Heartgrove  Jack, please don't feel guilty you are missing your brothers Mas.  You were there with him to say goodbye when he was aware and could know how you felt.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, enjoy your birthday present to yourself and your new roof.

@Overhead Fred  Thank you for your pictures.

@Vict0riann  Ann, I'm sorry the news about your cousin is so sad.  I'm glad you and Pat got to visit with her last April when you were on Koningsdam.  It sounds like she lived a very full life, which is worth celebrating.  

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, thanks for the picture of the Daily group. 

@Crazy For Cats  Congratulations on the upsell of the corner balcony.  

@grapau27  Thanks for you nice comments on my pictures.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning from the Nieuw Statendam at sea on the way to Sydney. I don’t know how fast we are going but it looks and feels like we are sitting still in the water. Sydney isn’t very far. 😉

Last night our Daily group ate at the Pinnacle Grill. Lovely time. 

3D8C9800-DD22-4405-B8E3-8EF711AE78E7.thumb.jpeg.3e7e0ff3ca1dbe7348e524d9e14ac80e.jpeg
Nicholas & Robin @Live4cruises, Edi @NextOne, Debbie @dfish, me, Rich @richwmn, Henry & Carolyn @Cruising-along, Craig. Fun times. 

Have a great day everyone!

I've been thinking of booking a cruise on that ship. Is the Tamarind open? Depending on which ad I see for HAL, it IS or it isn't.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

If wine that I am expecting comes early enough we will head out and enjoy the leaves.

Ah, yes, we are clearly in wine delivery season.

I have received two deliveries this week.  Today's arrived at 10:05.  Usually, UPS does not arrive in our neighborhood before 12:30, and, more often than not, it is after 2:30.  Only by good fortune I had returned a tad early from my morning coffee/bagel and was here to accept it.

Interestingly, last week, two other wineries sent notice that they felt it was still too warm for them to ship, and, so, their deliveries scheduled for this week would be postponed.  I guess I would describe that as erring on the side of caution.  No big deal.  I am quite a ways from running out of wine.

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

Good afternoon, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I salute all who are now or who have been in the Navy for their efforts on our behalf.  DH doesn't mind getting all suited up for dressy evenings, and Lord love a duck, finally a day for silly sayings!

I'm late to the party today because our friends from out of town are with us.  They get up at the crack of dark and are used to having breakfast - big breakfasts, so it was bacon, eggs, hash browns and toast before 8AM.  Then they decided they wanted to go shopping before the medical appointments this afternoon, but needed different things, so the ladies went one way, the gentlemen the other.   I love these people dearly, but oh Lordy, do they dawdle!  In the stores we visited, it was hurry up and wait - and DH found the same thing with his charge.  When he came through the front door, all I could see was his eyes rolling to the back of his head.  LOL  I know we'll be that way some day, but hope it's a long way off.   Now we're all at home, have had lunch and the guests are heading for a quick power nap before we take them to their medicals.  

Neither of us is a great fan of sweet potatoes, so I think I'll take a pass on today's menu suggestion.  Our friends want to take us out for dinner tonight, so we'll go to a nice Greek restaurant where you never get a bad meal, and I'm not sure what we'll be having, but we know it's going to be delicious.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, especially the families of the 4 fallen officers (2 in Canada and 2 in the U.S.), and we'll cheer all who have celebrations to enjoy.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

My dear sweet dentist got the crown back on, and the cavity fixed, and with two shots of Novacaine,  I could barely eat lunch( but I did 😸) but as far as getting on the phone, I sound like snagglepuss-sufferin succotash! so I will postpone going back to work until 3.  I'm drinking coffee like a crazy person to get the feeling back in my mouth.  If it's not better by 3, I will wait for second shift.

I'm pretty sure that once the Novacaine wears off,  I will feel like i have been smacked in the mouth.

I used to have the Cornell Bird feeder web camera on the computer, and it gotten taken off, DH asked that I find it again, so that the cats have something to watch.  Bubbles did come back after a two day absence, but he wants nothing to do with Fawn.  She and I went on the porch last night and she wanted belly rubs.  This is a good sign, that she knows she needs her humans now.  Guess the rain knocked some wild out of her again.

@Quartzsite Cruiser  let DH sleep as long as he can, sleep is a healer, but YOU need to feel comfortable enough to get a good nights rest too.  You are anxious about him, but you do need to get some good sleep.  Too bad they didn't send a nurse home with you too.  My mom used a bell, Dad said it could wake the dead, and the bell is now used in our office when we make a sale.  Recently it has been very quiet.

@Vict0riannI am sorry to read about your cousin.  She sounds like she had a full and wonderful life.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Several weeks ago some one posted -The LIne.  Did any one keep a copy and can post that again, or know what date it was from.  I really want to send that to a friend, who lives in so much fear, they don't do anything.    

It is easier to complain about what's wrong, than changing yourself to fix what's wrong, but I think that poem hit the nail on the head.  

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

My dear sweet dentist got the crown back on, and the cavity fixed, and with two shots of Novacaine,  I could barely eat lunch( but I did 😸) but as far as getting on the phone, I sound like snagglepuss-sufferin succotash! so I will postpone going back to work until 3.  I'm drinking coffee like a crazy person to get the feeling back in my mouth.  If it's not better by 3, I will wait for second shift.

I'm pretty sure that once the Novacaine wears off,  I will feel like i have been smacked in the mouth.

I used to have the Cornell Bird feeder web camera on the computer, and it gotten taken off, DH asked that I find it again, so that the cats have something to watch.  Bubbles did come back after a two day absence, but he wants nothing to do with Fawn.  She and I went on the porch last night and she wanted belly rubs.  This is a good sign, that she knows she needs her humans now.  Guess the rain knocked some wild out of her again.

@Quartzsite Cruiser  let DH sleep as long as he can, sleep is a healer, but YOU need to feel comfortable enough to get a good nights rest too.  You are anxious about him, but you do need to get some good sleep.  Too bad they didn't send a nurse home with you too.  My mom used a bell, Dad said it could wake the dead, and the bell is now used in our office when we make a sale.  Recently it has been very quiet.

@Vict0riannI am sorry to read about your cousin.  She sounds like she had a full and wonderful life.

I'm glad the dentist got the cacity and crown both taken care of.  If it's just a matter of gluing the crown back in place, it's not a big job.

Annie, your story about the bell brought back a memory from my childhood.  After my mother was diagnosed with MS, it became apparent that she needed a hosptial bed, so my father started sleepimg in another room.  They got her a bell to ring when she needed him.  The first time she rang it was at 2 am.  Daddy said his first thought was " Who's ringing that damn bell at this time of night?"  Surprisingly, I always slept through the bell.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning from the Nieuw Statendam at sea on the way to Sydney. I don’t know how fast we are going but it looks and feels like we are sitting still in the water. Sydney isn’t very far. 😉

Last night our Daily group ate at the Pinnacle Grill. Lovely time. 

3D8C9800-DD22-4405-B8E3-8EF711AE78E7.thumb.jpeg.3e7e0ff3ca1dbe7348e524d9e14ac80e.jpeg
Nicholas & Robin @Live4cruises, Edi @NextOne, Debbie @dfish, me, Rich @richwmn, Henry & Carolyn @Cruising-along, Craig. Fun times. 

Have a great day everyone!

Thanks Sharon for posting the photo. Fun times last night! I’m going to miss all of you when you leave on the 22nd. 😢

• Like 12

Good afternoon from, Beautiful Barbados when we have finally had a picture perfect day.  

I spent most of the day at the beach and some part of it at the plunge pool.

Just gorgeous!

Thank you Rich for your dedication to the Daily and Fleet Report.  

The collection of days is interesting.

i am not a skeptic.  Happy Birthday to the Navy (Suit up Day) and I guess I have done my share of silly sayings.

Skip the meal and drink and wine.  We are having a barbecue tonight at the Coral Reef Club.

Like the quote.

Thank you Roy for the lists and my prayers for those on the cares list and a shout out to those celebrating and cruising.

@msmayorWelcome back.

@JazzyVHappy Birthday.

@HeartgroveI am sorry you will not be able to attend your brother’s funeral.  Prayers for you and your family. May he Rest In Peace.

@Quartzsite Cruiseri hope all is going well with you DH and his recovery from surgery.

Not much to report today except i finally look like I was at the beach.  not burned to a crisp but have a bit of a tan.

All is well.  We hope the rest of our days in Barbados are as good as today.

God Bless everyone.

Terri

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tkwbear said:

I've been thinking of booking a cruise on that ship. Is the Tamarind open? Depending on which ad I see for HAL, it IS or it isn't.

Actually, we are at the Tamarind as I write this. Yes!  Very much open and has been. This is a great ship, you won’t be disappointed. 

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thanks Sharon for posting the photo. Fun times last night! I’m going to miss all of you when you leave on the 22nd. 😢

Fun times for sure!

@JazzyV Vanessa, sorry I missed your actual Birthday but what the heck, celebrate all month!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Ah, yes, we are clearly in wine delivery season.

I have received two deliveries this week.  Today's arrived at 10:05.  Usually, UPS does not arrive in our neighborhood before 12:30, and, more often than not, it is after 2:30.  Only by good fortune I had returned a tad early from my morning coffee/bagel and was here to accept it.

Interestingly, last week, two other wineries sent notice that they felt it was still too warm for them to ship, and, so, their deliveries scheduled for this week would be postponed.  I guess I would describe that as erring on the side of caution.  No big deal.  I am quite a ways from running out of wine.

I have never ordered wine to be delivered to my house.  Are there some wines that can only be bought that way or is there some other reason to do that?

Ray

• Like 8

Good Afternoon from the Noordam a few hours out of Honolulu

A big salute to the Navy. My heart breaks for the families of the fallen police officers. We are hearing too much of this. 
    We all had covid tests yesterday . All negative. The Captain announced last nite that we could remove our masks and I believe the crew is tonite. 
  We still are wearing ours, waited too long for this trip so we will continue to be careful. 
    There is a group on this trip from the ill fated Maasdam cruise . They are calling it the Covid trip. Crazy stories. 
   Hope everyone is doing ok.

stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

• Like 17

12 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I just saw Connie @msmayorposted and is doing well.  Thank goodness we've heard from one of our missing people.  Show us a photo of Lana if you don't mind sharing.

Thank you Sandi - I am blessed to have folks who thought of me all this time - thank you to everyone for the care and concern.  I'll have to find just the right photo of my dear Lana - her parents are very cautious with any internet posting and so far have probably only put 2-3 photos up on their instagram account, none with her face.  They are concerned about too much being 'out there' before she is able to make those decisions on her own.  I'll see what I can come up with...

12 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It is lovely to hear from you and happily you and your family are well.

Graham.

Thank you Graham - so kind of you.

12 hours ago, aliaschief said:

@msmayor welcome back to the Daily.

Thank you so much - it's great to be back to this friendly place!

12 hours ago, kazu said:

Welcome back - you were missed.

Thank you Jacqui - loved the photos of your hydrangeas.  I finally planted one in my yard this year and can't wait for it to grow larger.  I am hoping next year to plant more.

11 hours ago, marshhawk said:

G

@msmayor Nice to see you back!  

Thank you so much!

8 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

My brother's Funeral Mass will be tomorrow with my oldest daughter representing me due to distance and time constraints. I feel a bit guilty not being there. He will always be my big brother.

Condolences, Jack - I'm sure you will be there in your thoughts and everyone will understand why you are not able to be there in person.

8 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@msmayor Thanks for checking in, and I'm glad all is well.

Thank you so much!

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@msmayor  Welcome back!  We missed you, and are glad you and your family, especially you dear granddaughter, Lana, are all fine.

Thank you so much.  It's been a bit of a challenge to help my daughter find her way back to a better place after her challenges with post-partum anxiety.  We established a daily check-in, usually around 6:30-7pm, every single night.  It has now developed into our regular 'story time' - around 7, we log in to Skype together as she is putting PJ's on Lana.  She chooses three stories and reads them aloud to her, usually resulting in her falling asleep before the last story is done.  Afterwards we spend about 20 minutes and just chat about our day - gives her a chance to 'download' any stressors now that she's back to work.  For me, it's a chance to make sure she is OK but also 'visit' with my granddaughter every single day.  It's become a pretty sacred time for us, missed only if we have specific plans for the evening and will not be around.  Tonight's is delayed since they are at a friends' house carving pumpkins, so I'm taking this time to catch up here.  

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

@msmayorWelcome back.

Thank you Terri - hope you have a wonderful time in Barbados!

44 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I have never ordered wine to be delivered to my house.  Are there some wines that can only be bought that way or is there some other reason to do that?

Ray

Ray, you can most certainly have wines delivered, as long as your state permits.  I belong to three different wine clubs - one in California (Kalyra Winery - my fall shipment arrived yesterday), one in Arizona (Oak Creek Winery, not too far out from Sedona - they deliver to me three times a year) and one right here in NJ (Old York, two shipments a year in spring and fall).  It's a wonderful way for me to try wines I simply cannot find here in my home state.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

My mother would say-guillotine.  @1ANGELCAT.

When people actually get punished and I mean as mom would say-guillotine so that others wont be harmed, then maybe it will stop, but for some reason, it keeps getting worse.  Punishment must fit the crime.  Unless they are really crazy, and I dont mean because of drugs.  I mean crazy.  Drugs, that's just being stupid crazy.  Stop me now, I am much too radical.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1