The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday April 12th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

6 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC !

Where to begin. Be Kind to Lawyers Day? Only a lawyer could come up with this day! Got a joke. You maybe a Redneck if a lawyer ask you if you have a case and you reply, “No I have a John Deere”.  (for those who don’t know Case is a company that makes farm tractors).

Love grill cheese sandwiches but if I hit too many it may be a big wind day ! 😀

I guess I should stop posting at 5 in the morning. Last sentence, the word hit should have been eat, but I guess y’all understood what I said.

• Like 15

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

We have just docked in Cartagena, Columbia on a rather humid and foggy morning. Never have been here and I guess I was surprised by the many skyscrapers as seen from our working dock area.

We enjoyed a lovely dinner in Tamarind last night. It never gets old. Our pre dinner libations have been in the Pinnacle Bar and it has been hopping.

I need to get ready for our early excursion. This will be a short visit as we leave at 1:00 PM.

Thanks for the Report and featured post.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.9e5344b6042dcb61dfc8568fa5079a86.jpegimage.jpeg.1ce10c58e5f4fa50ce89461df15a0f5a.jpegimage.jpeg.246600aea10bb5fc971c6551522170e5.jpegimage.jpeg.627bdceccd5dfeaaf30568725e29507f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.47486eb475b8d21e9b6f8a2d23482e92.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.28225a95fb41da2872b11ca3719d420a.jpeg

Been to Cartagena twice and both times very humid!

As far as the cartoon about Wendy in bed with the wrong guy. I guess she was expecting a Big Mac! 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

It turns out we have been to Alter do Chao, but not as a port.  In 2006, we did b2b Amazon cruises on the old Regal Princess.  On the way back down the river when we stopped at Santarem, along with another couple, we hired a taxi to take us to Belterra, the former Ford rubber plantation and town.  On the way to Belterra, we made a brief stop in Alter do Chao, which was much easier than the tender and beach walk Sandi @StLouisCruisers did last fall.  This is what I posted on April 18, 2021.

We were there at the end of the rainy season, and the little beach peninsula with the huts, was under water.  You can barely see the tops of the huts.

IMG_0561.thumb.JPG.0bf619d44f79c579fbfdf82fb8785106.JPG

The inside of the church in @rafinmd Roy showed in his pictures.

IMG_0569.thumb.JPG.693c9930aeefdc22148182417165bf4b.JPG

A couple of street scenes of Alter do Chao.

IMG_0566.thumb.JPG.22ae888f295e4927a451ac16b825b69c.JPG

IMG_0570.thumb.JPG.2f11551c5476442d880c4ea1ca27f91e.JPG

As I mentioned, we were on our way to Belterra, one of two rubber plantations founded by Henry Ford.  The first was Fordlandia in 1927, but it did not thrive because the native workers were badly treated.  Belterra opened in 1931, and because the workers were well treated, it was a success.  While it is no longer a rubber plantation, the town is still populated and well maintained.  In 1945, Ford sold both Belterra and Fordlandia back to the Brazilian government.

Along with another couple, we found a taxi driver who was willing to take us to Belterra but it took about three tries.  Unfortunately, Princess at that time nor HAL now, offer tours to Belterra, which is worth a visit.

Our first stop was the city hall.  The people working there were very friendly and glad to have foreign visitors.  They took us into the back office and showed us pictures, documents and maps from the heyday of Belterra.

IMG_0573.thumb.JPG.6a3dd818e1108c6808da27d82d67840a.JPG

Some views of the houses and the main street, which was paved with bricks.

IMG_0582.thumb.JPG.7b9c2c112d1b98ebcf67dff651273bb3.JPG

IMG_0589.thumb.JPG.4975f4d29870edebdfc4837d1e82c61c.JPG

IMG_0590.thumb.JPG.98847d02485da818b9502a000dfe426e.JPG

There was also a pretty park complete with a basketball court.  I don't remember what the monument the other couple (who's name is lost in the mists of time) is looking at.  The other two in the picture is our taxi driver and DH.

IMG_0592.thumb.JPG.f35cd74b9504fecc19c32500dff2de40.JPG

IMG_0595.thumb.JPG.18dffb18da61015bd9920ce3ebcb7367.JPG

They still have a stand of rubber trees that are scored and where they collect the milky liquid (latex) which is about 30% rubber..

IMG_0585.thumb.JPG.683d961448e23c7802f7e73c036ec8ec.JPG

IMG_0586.thumb.JPG.48c94e18260d00d9a3c7cbce99f7d8cc.JPG

The people in the city hall gave our driver directions for a quicker way back to Santarem using the backroads.  We saw a lot more of the jungle, especially since our driver got lost a couple of times, making us wonder if we'd miss the ship.  We made it back to town with enough time for a stop at the museum and a quick tour of the town.  I'll save those pictures until Santarem is the port of the day.

Lenda

Thank you for your interesting photos and descriptions Lenda.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you for that information Rich @richwmn.  As usual first hand experiences from those on the ships is best.  Sorry you won't get to stop in Brest, France.  That is a port I would like to see since it has never come up on our itineraries.  And I remember that cosmonaut's name, so that makes me officially OLD.

Looking back on Nov. 29, 2022 I found that the day began with rain so we waited a good while after breakfast on the Volendam to head by tender to shore in Alter do Chao.  The tenders were so crowded and it was very slow to dock.  Also the dock was about a 2 foot step up for everyone so you can imagine that caused many problems.  A view from the tender.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIUv-AQWlsr2apwEkkp6UNlVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677530662

It didn't look bad but we had no idea what to expect.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLpFD2fXdilUxL0iniFwwCTrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677530663

Here is that dock problem.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJYL_Ohly8d8SyHfYqkDcqiUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677530666

The next problem for people was this sand beach you had to cross to get to a hard surface.  Really hard on those with mobility problems.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIkpqUwIJKcPXbVOH7MlUSbV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677531620

Here's the scene.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIae1dGKFNEdx8_NuV8rGrRVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677530666

Always an opportunity to shop00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK4oq8ysoyJAMtWspUi6tiBaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677531623

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLplC6_issYpbOV_dTlXbyfrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677531624

Keeping something out with the fencing00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL8-fh3N7dqdc5LHynDj5tarnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677531629

More fenced property.  Maybe they didn't want their mangoes stolen.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLqz3hkJ-1icKsGDiWGb9ulVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677531634

Get your workouts done here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIkuo-ik9sY3ovfetbxNaaTrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677531640

A stroll down the main drag00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJU2Vm7h5BbsPTj8fn-dcTRV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677530671

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLKMTmFSqRIr7Wb2I6qeTVIaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677531654

A church00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJsiX-OR8Jjm6KBheRnL2JoUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677530677

Being visited by a religious dog00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJxwn1ybqmIccvDUqP73PBUldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677530679

Typical boats seen in Brazil.  They look unstable to me.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIgAokPsuC0vUXq7mWLkvIsrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677530682

By now dripping wet, we headed back to the Volendam by tender.  Showers were required before lunchtime which I'm sure everyone appreciated.  According to my notes, we found Dixie @summer slope and George waiting for us in the Ocean Bar before dinner which was a nice surprise.  After dinner DH went back to Ocean Bar to listen to music and visit with a ballroom dancing couple from Wisconsin, while I went to Niki Ataman's show and listened to his beautiful piano playing.  Niki is a friend of Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIHPlITL-wBUT2RLRhEmTLxKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677530687

And that is how it's done in Alter do Chao while cruising the Amazon River on the Volendam!🙂

Thank you Sandi for your photos and descriptions.

I appreciate you taking the time to post and explain your visit.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, another cold one, 40, and only a warmup to low 50s, definitely still jacket weather.  A brief glimpse at the ten day forecast didn't look promising, although at least we're getting some much needed sunshine today.

Thoughts and Prayers to all that need it.

Love grilled cheese, classic comfort meal.  I'd like to try the Mai Time (catchy name).

No issues with lawyers, only their billing statements, I nearly fainted after the last estate attorney we visited.  We don't have any in the family, wish we did, they are good for general advice.

@Crazy For Cats that's a lot of critters running around

@JazzyV I'll try to be here more often, crossing fingers on the PT, will know more when they assess next week, if he can get to the edge of the bed and stand up, then we're making progress, we can certainly cruise with a total disability, but it's harder and we have to plan out further due to the lack of accessible cabins, it's hard to believe how few of these are available, HAL is one of the better ones, Princess not so much

@dfish hope all goes well with your test

@Quartzsite Cruiser what strange weather this year, mid 70s in Texas, 80+ in Canada and New England, something is off

@GTVCRUISER Now that's what I call a grilled cheese sandwich, ordinary cheese/bread, not the gourmet stuff

On tap for today, I have a couple dozen PO's to issue for work.  But I spent all day yesterday researching staterooms, so there you have it.  We have to do a Facetime call with one of the V.A. nurses, Dad's got an infected toe.  And at some point I need to tackle the snail mail pile, it's been neglected the last couple of weeks.  

Hope you all have a great day!

~Bruno~

• Like 21

Good morning all, just dropping in to say hi and that you are all in my thoughts. Thanks everyone for posting and teaching us all things we don't know yet and taking us to ports we haven't visited yet. I do enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich, though I have never tried it with mayo. 

• Like 22

We get some high winds here, but not like Mt. Washington. A grilled cheese sandwich is not even under consideration until Passover ends, but for my community, that's tonight. Some communities celebrate it for another day. My closest friend is a lawyer.

Arugula is fine with me but if the pesto contains any cheese, I wouldn't be able to have it with chicken. No on the cocktail or any drink with pineapple juice. If you want to bring a bottle of the wine over, I'll help you drink it. I haven't been to the port.

Today is the seventh day of Passover, which is considered the day on which the crossing of the Reed Sea took place, and the Torah reading for the morning service contains the description and the song of praise for it; the song is set out in the scroll as poetry. You can see it, and hear the way it's changed, in this video (starting at about 1:30).

My plan for this afternoon, after a nap, is to wash all the Passover dishes that need it, including some that have been in the garage for several years and probably need disinfecting.

Dinner tonight is planned to require no pans, so there will be very little more to wash before I can start putting them away. The time for putting Passover dishes away is sometimes called Rumpelnacht - rumble night - because of the noise of hurry to do it and sometimes breaking a few dishes. In some historic communities it was like a charivari, and people might save old or chipped dishes to break intentionally.

barncat.jpg.ec8632f817f2ea3519fc18e791fbd3ad.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 28

It's warmed up to the low 70s with just a light breeze.  I'll be heading outside to tackle the yard when I finish this.

3 hours ago, superoma said:

We got the news yesterday that DGD got accepted into the masters programme for public health administration here at the university of Windsor and is on the waitlist for the same programme at the university of western Ontario in London, just up the road. Very proud of her (actually all of them). Oldest DGS has the fall semester to complete his honours bachelor of science in forensics, youngest DGS is finishing first year computer science and youngest DGD is finishing first year nursing. The oldest two had a very strange university experience during Covid. They got 3/4 of their first year in when everything went online. Year 2, online, year 3 mostly online, year 4 back in person mostly. Not your typical university experience but they persevered.

Eva, you have some amazing DGC and every right to be proud of them.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn and @StLouisCruisers.

We've had too many big wind days recently, causing damage and fire threat. I like a good grilled cheese sandwich, but don't make it often. I have little interaction with lawyers, but we should be kind to all. Interesting quote. Maybe on the meal; I'm not a pesto fan. Pass on the drink. I'd like the wine but it's too pricey for me.

I haven't been to Alter Do Chao.

It's going to be a glorious day here today. It's already 60F and sunny, going up to 79 this afternoon. There are red flag warnings due to dryness, and there have been a few wildfires, although no where near me. Unfortunately other than sitting outside a bit, I won't get to enjoy the weather much. The lawn really needs to be mowed, but that has to wait. Today would be injection day, but Rheumatology wants me to wait until after I see Ortho on Friday. I'm having less pain in the right knee, but the left hurts from using it more. There was some drainage on the gauze this AM, but it's hard to tell on white material. I appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers!

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the startup and your photos. 

@richwmn Thank you for today's history. I visited the Star City Cosmonaut Training Center when I was in Russia in 2008, which had a big statue to Yuri Gagarin. Sorry you'll be missing Brest.

@Crazy For Cats River is very handsome. Happy 8th Birthday this mornth.

@aliaschief Enjoy your excursion in Cartagena. Unfortunately when I was there, my knee caused me to not be able to walk much, so I only saw the animals in the park near the dock.

@kazu It looks like the gardening is coming along well. 

@Heartgrove Awesome photo of Lily and Sam, Jack. I had that reaction to the first Shingrix shot, but almost nothing with the second one.

@Lady Hudson Wow on that house situation.

@Vict0riann I hope your weather isn't too bad!

@superoma That's a nice big garden. Congrats to all the DGC on their academic achievements, despite Covid!

@rafinmd Great sunset photo. Thanks for the blog link.

@smitty34877 Sorry to read of Tana's issues, but I'm sure it helps the new aide to have you their with your calming manner and experience dealing with it all.

@marshhawk I don't know how you keep up with all these rotating jobs and bosses! Fingers crossed for DH to get the Disney concert hall job. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely photos.

@kplady Good to hear you're both out of quarantine; sorry you missed all the NZ ports. 

@atexsix Bruno, glad you stopped by the Daily yesterday. You have done a great job caring for DD and I hope the PT is able to get him good enough to travel again.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

Vanessa, I hope your knee improves before you cruise and trip to Germany.  Thank you for your kind words about my picture.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for your interesting photos and descriptions Lenda.

Graham.

Thank you, Graham.

44 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Good Morning, another cold one, 40, and only a warmup to low 50s, definitely still jacket weather.  A brief glimpse at the ten day forecast didn't look promising, although at least we're getting some much needed sunshine today.

Thoughts and Prayers to all that need it.

Love grilled cheese, classic comfort meal.  I'd like to try the Mai Time (catchy name).

No issues with lawyers, only their billing statements, I nearly fainted after the last estate attorney we visited.  We don't have any in the family, wish we did, they are good for general advice.

@Crazy For Cats that's a lot of critters running around

@JazzyV I'll try to be here more often, crossing fingers on the PT, will know more when they assess next week, if he can get to the edge of the bed and stand up, then we're making progress, we can certainly cruise with a total disability, but it's harder and we have to plan out further due to the lack of accessible cabins, it's hard to believe how few of these are available, HAL is one of the better ones, Princess not so much

@dfish hope all goes well with your test

@Quartzsite Cruiser what strange weather this year, mid 70s in Texas, 80+ in Canada and New England, something is off

@GTVCRUISER Now that's what I call a grilled cheese sandwich, ordinary cheese/bread, not the gourmet stuff

On tap for today, I have a couple dozen PO's to issue for work.  But I spent all day yesterday researching staterooms, so there you have it.  We have to do a Facetime call with one of the V.A. nurses, Dad's got an infected toe.  And at some point I need to tackle the snail mail pile, it's been neglected the last couple of weeks.  

Hope you all have a great day!

~Bruno~

Bruno, we've decided there is no longer a normal weather pattern.

11 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

We get some high winds here, but not like Mt. Washington. A grilled cheese sandwich is not even under consideration until Passover ends, but for my community, that's tonight. Some communities celebrate it for another day. My closest friend is a lawyer.

Arugula is fine with me but if the pesto contains any cheese, I wouldn't be able to have it with chicken. No on the cocktail or any drink with pineapple juice. If you want to bring a bottle of the wine over, I'll help you drink it. I haven't been to the port.

Today is the seventh day of Passover, which is considered the day on which the crossing of the Reed Sea took place, and the Torah reading for the morning service contains the description and the song of praise for it; the song is set out in the scroll as poetry. You can see it, and hear the way it's changed, in this video (starting at about 1:30).

My plan for this afternoon, after a nap, is to wash all the Passover dishes that need it, including some that have been in the garage for several years and probably need disinfecting.

Dinner tonight is planned to require no pans, so there will be very little more to wash before I can start putting them away. The time for putting Passover dishes away is sometimes called Rumpelnacht - rumble night - because of the noise of hurry to do it and sometimes breaking a few dishes. In some historic communities it was like a charivari, and people might save old or chipped dishes to break intentionally.

barncat.jpg.ec8632f817f2ea3519fc18e791fbd3ad.jpg

Paul, thank you for more information about Passover.  I've learned a lot during the last few days.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

It's so nice to see bright sunshine this morning, especially because the previous forecast called for more of that "frozen mix".  So even though it will only get up to the low 50's F, I'm enjoying the sun.

Like everyone, not a fan of big wind.  We have way too many trees around us.  I love a good grilled cheese, especially those served in the Grand Dutch Cafe on a BHB.  I don't know any lawyers now, but my first job was at a large high-powered law firm on Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington, D.C. And they were not kind, 'nuff said.  

I'll pass on the drink and red wine.  I prefer my pesto made with basil, so not sure about the meal with arugula pesto.  Last night we had the stuffed chicken with mozzarella (I left out the dill) 😉  and DH declared it a hit.  

Our next cruise is coming up fast (May 1), and I need to start thinking about what to pack.  It's only a quick 5-day Pacific Coastal, and it's been a long time since we've sailed for so short a time.  It's out of Vancouver, a 2-hour drive for us.  The cruise sails at 3pm, so yesterday DH suggested we get a hotel in Bellingham the night before.  Getting out of here on week day mornings can be challenging, so this way we'll cut out some time on embarkation day.  I'm all for starting our vacation early!  

I hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 25

5 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's so nice to see bright sunshine this morning, especially because the previous forecast called for more of that "frozen mix".  So even though it will only get up to the low 50's F, I'm enjoying the sun.

Like everyone, not a fan of big wind.  We have way too many trees around us.  I love a good grilled cheese, especially those served in the Grand Dutch Cafe on a BHB.  I don't know any lawyers now, but my first job was at a large high-powered law firm on Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington, D.C. And they were not kind, 'nuff said.  

I'll pass on the drink and red wine.  I prefer my pesto made with basil, so not sure about the meal with arugula pesto.  Last night we had the stuffed chicken with mozzarella (I left out the dill) 😉  and DH declared it a hit.  

Our next cruise is coming up fast (May 1), and I need to start thinking about what to pack.  It's only a quick 5-day Pacific Coastal, and it's been a long time since we've sailed for so short a time.  It's out of Vancouver, a 2-hour drive for us.  The cruise sails at 3pm, so yesterday DH suggested we get a hotel in Bellingham the night before.  Getting out of here on week day mornings can be challenging, so this way we'll cut out some time on embarkation day.  I'm all for starting our vacation early!  

I hope everyone has a great day!

When we had our condo in Redmond we were terrified of wind, those trees towered 100 feet higher than us, and we were on the 5th floor.  Wind and tall trees do not mix.

Enjoy your mini cruise!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Wednesday from a beautiful sunny Tucson. Yesterday’s official high was 99F!  Yikes! I heard we broke a record. 

Jake @Crazy For Cats, Happy Birthday to River!  I love your cats names. 

I leave early tomorrow morning for Fort Lauderdale and was able to check in for my flight during my early morning awake time earlier. Thank goodness I was able to get back to sleep. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, I’m glad @TiogaCruiser sent you the itinerary for our cruise. I’m going to send you the following two itineraries for the Volendam since I’ll be onboard those two. Craig did his magic with the computer and made me a nice listing with the maps and itineraries. I have a paper ship that Craig was given at his retirement party and am planning on putting that on my cabin door with the magnetic tape you recommended. Hopefully, I can put the ship back together!  (And no one decides to swipe it!). And I have sheet protectors with the magnetic tape for the maps. 

Bruce @aliaschief, Cartagena is on my itinerary also and don’t have anything planned since I’ve been there before. It was very hot and humid then. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Another beautiful sunny day, with a slight wind.

Despite all the "big winds" we had during the past several months, the garden is coming in nicely. Here's a shot of the bleeding heart for the Garden Club!

bleedingheart.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick set of questions please:

Were doing Uber for the first time in many years. This is the first time I have pre-ordered a ride ( done a few days ago). 

1) how do I know that a driver has accepted our trip?

2) If it has not been picked up, do I order another car in real time? ( meaning at the time we want to leave?)

3) how much do you usually tip Uber?

4) how much do you usually tip a taxi driver? (This is my first time using a taxi.)

thanks!

• Like 10

Good morning and thanks all!  

8 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today in history:

1961 Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin becomes the first person to orbit Earth (Vostok 1)

Zuiderdam will be staying in A Coruña, Spain until 11:00pm this evening. The weather does not permit our transit to Brest, France so we will leave late tonight and proceed to Waymouth, England and overnight there.

If my geography is correct, the Bay of Biscay can be dicey.  Hope you got to enjoy Santiago del Compestela as well.   Safe travels! 

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Sandi.

Well, I’m not much fun today - I’ll pass on big wind day - especially with people suffering right now and while I have some friends who happen to be lawyers, they are the exception and I have to ask - why is there a day for them?  That leaves me with the grilled cheese which can be good comfort food on occasion 😉 

Not sure I agree with the quote - more cliches?

The rain held off yesterday and it was a lovely sunny day.  Up to 10 C 🙂. I had to laugh driving and observing people at the hairdressers as I observed people and how they were addressed.  Some with shorts on.  Others with a heavy coat and hat (WTH?).  Me?  I was in a light sweater (no coat) and my Birkenstocks.  I told an elderly couple at the hairdressers who were dressed quite warmly I had declared it was spring.  And what am I doing calling someone elderly I ask myself.  I’m no spring chicken 🙂

C6B66113-0F40-4115-93BE-4B27C5E2F526.thumb.jpeg.933c3c228d70dbafd89aebbc52c04271.jpeg

The wine is red so as good as it may be, I have to pass.

2F738DD9-1A77-454F-AF15-2B8383AC778F.jpeg.48cd5b134263216369b482d3c78ad6e7.jpeg

So Garden Club, finally most of the begonias are in.  Some are slower than others (thank heavens) so the ones left unplanted will go in the planters I can’t bring in the house.

CF060C78-DA94-4034-AA60-8E0361BBACA1.thumb.jpeg.b3de85c7c930fd1748caddfbf5d83c94.jpeg

A Coruna is a great spot Rich @richwmn- beats Brest (unless you are going to Quimper).  Hope you can get to Santiago de Compostela 🤞 

Thanks as always to @StLouisCruisers @cat shepard @dfish @summer slope @JazzyV for their contributions to make the Daily what it is.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout out list.

D04713EC-15DE-4960-ADC6-C7EB6F07885D.thumb.jpeg.3a454b4dfb3e57f4bbf1349f7b814367.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

Amazed at all the plants you have a managed to get started with your fracture!  Kudos! 

6 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Sandi, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

I received my first Shingrix vaccine on Monday with little pain from the needle. But yesterday had some of the side effects including shivering and tiredness. Hopefully today I am over all that.

We need to contact our PCC after he returns from vacation next week. We have a HAL cruise that we cancelled find it's way back onto our account. Strange?

We hosted Easter dinner Sunday. I just love this photo of Lily with my gentle giant. Sam!

A6503559.thumb.JPG.3f2632d30380ee8a19651e43fbe02ee6.JPG

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Gorgeous!  We found the shingrix a little tough in the side effects, but are glad we have it.  Just recovering from another Covid booster, much easier than Shingrix for me. 

5 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

We would have a hard time being kind to lawyers. We were sued for supposed undisclosed defects to our house when sold.  Our take — buyers wanted to do major renovations to the home but wanted us to pay for it.  After 3 years the case was dismissed by the judge as having no evidence to support the lawsuit.  But . . . Cost us over $30,000.  I have  a problem with lawyers who take a contingency case, lose and then no consequence for lawyer or client.  That’s my rant for the day.

Prayers for all in need.  Should be lovely weather for the rest of the week.  Katherine 

Wow, they should have had to pay for your legal costs!  And I’m moaning about 2 k for literally a consultation.   

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!  

It will be another warm, sunny day here in mid-Michigan.  I'm doing some much needed yard work.  The previous owners just threw stuff in the "wild zone" and left it to rot.  Or not rot.  So far I've filled up 5 yard bags with debris.  Some of it will have to go directly to the landfill or go out in large item pickup.  We cleaned out the area where they dumped their kitty litter.  What a mess!  

I have a mammogram scheduled for this afternoon.  I'll be glad when that is over.  I can give them the results:  Normal.  I like grilled cheese on occasion and my nephew is a lawyer.  We like to think he's one of the good guys.  

Today's meal sounds good to me!  This first one combines shredded rotisserie chicken with zoodles and the arugula pesto.  Quite different!  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/arugula-pesto-chicken/

arugulapestochicken1.jpg.8d6385bdb8b6f104f67bc91f7ba130dd.jpg

This one is from the Food Network.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/chicken-with-arugula-pesto-recipe-2120506

arugulapestochicken2.jpeg.18bac75b7d11f02a8f5b9ea3697672f2.jpeg

And then there is this recipe from Williams Sonoma.  https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/grilled-chicken-arugula-pesto.html

arugulapestochicken3.jpg.c37681b0b0bd90ab867cbff0b6f91c74.jpg

I think they all look good, but I'm leaning towards #3.  How about you?

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Yum, I saw a TikTok thing where they’re making toad in a hole with pesto.   Truly hoping your mammogram results are normal, life can really turn on a dime.  

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sorry for my mistake.  Yes of course it is Naki.

We have errands to run and are leaving in a little bit.  We just took a 3 day radon test in our basement, for our own personal knowledge, and have to mail it now.  Hope the results come back okay.  We have had radon in the past and had to do the remediation work.  Better safe than sorry.

We did the radon test as well, but ours had to remain in place much longer.  Hoping you get good results!  Always wise to check! 

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is already 68 here and reaching 80 later. It is so nice to not even need a sweater for the first doggie walk of the day. The winds we have had in the last two years are fierce and unusual. I don’t think wind should get it’s own day! We have not been to Brazil but enjoyed Sandi’s pictures @StLouisCruisers, thanks. I made the chicken stuffed with feta and spinach and had some very happy diners at my table last night. Thank you Debbie, as always @dfish. We are having vegetarian chili tonight to keep things simple.

Tana’s newest aide is so far working out although I was glad to be here yesterday  when two separate issues  developed. Equipment is often problematic and our patient can be difficult to manage when extremely anxious. Breathing issues breed anxiety and it is hard for a new person to maintain a calm exterior. 

@Heartgrove, that is just a wonderful picture, thank you!

@JazzyV,I hope your knee behaves today. I am so sorry that you have this additional worry prior to your trip.

Have a very good day everyone 

Terry

Terry, hoping things settle and the aide settles in and adapts.   Sending lots of gentle hugs! 

4 hours ago, Rowsby said:

One of my favorite grill cheese was in London...a ham and cheese toastie...and a bakewell tart...🥰

If it wasn't for my gimpy shoulder....I'd be there right now this whole month....and yes....I AM whining....😕

Ham and Cheese Toastie and Bakewell Tart - London.jpg

Big Ben - London.jpg

I am so sorry you had to cancel, always so disappointing.  I miss the wonderful soups, scones and tea in the UK. Hopefully you can go when you are feeling better. 

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  Yesterday was proof that the only thing constant is change.

I sent my letter to Boss 2, got no reply.  I copied all the right people, and had my training for my new job at 5:30 til 8.  In the middle of my zoom meeting, DH started mumbling about something, i could tell that he was angry about something.  Near the end of my meeting, and I was on mute, he tells me he got laid off from Boss 2.  He has another job that is only 6 hours a week for the next two weeks, not enough BUT Boss 2 told him to get in touch with another person to start training for the Disney Concert Hall.  Its a great job, but i think he gave him the wrong address to get in touch with the new boss. So I start tonight at Friends of Lincoln Center, and on Monday with Arizona Opera, and keeping fingers crossed that DH gets Disney.. that would last him through the summer.

BFF called last night and we (he) filled in the boarding information.  He said he would go back and get his credit card information for him and fill it in later, BUT when he added my card to DH's name it auto- matically  filled it in for all three of us.  So he is calling Holland today to figure that one out.  And once it is all completed, he will have the boarding passes emailed to us.  And of course, I still dont have the results from the PETscan.  And I may be crazy but regardless of diagnosis, I'm taking this cruise.

th?id=OIP.AQiktz0ot2oucjMEEI20AwHaHZ&pid=Api&P=0

8a913d3bda6e8981070f4b7e230b14ff.jpg

The last time we went up Mount Washington, we got off the cog railway to walk into the building and the woman who got off before us, blew right over.  Took three men to pick her up and get her into the building.  

Praying you get good results on the PET scan, or at least the blessing to go ahead.  

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn and @StLouisCruisers.

We've had too many big wind days recently, causing damage and fire threat. I like a good grilled cheese sandwich, but don't make it often. I have little interaction with lawyers, but we should be kind to all. Interesting quote. Maybe on the meal; I'm not a pesto fan. Pass on the drink. I'd like the wine but it's too pricey for me.

I haven't been to Alter Do Chao.

It's going to be a glorious day here today. It's already 60F and sunny, going up to 79 this afternoon. There are red flag warnings due to dryness, and there have been a few wildfires, although no where near me. Unfortunately other than sitting outside a bit, I won't get to enjoy the weather much. The lawn really needs to be mowed, but that has to wait. Today would be injection day, but Rheumatology wants me to wait until after I see Ortho on Friday. I'm having less pain in the right knee, but the left hurts from using it more. There was some drainage on the gauze this AM, but it's hard to tell on white material. I appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers!

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the startup and your photos. 

@richwmn Thank you for today's history. I visited the Star City Cosmonaut Training Center when I was in Russia in 2008, which had a big statue to Yuri Gagarin. Sorry you'll be missing Brest.

@Crazy For Cats River is very handsome. Happy 8th Birthday this mornth.

@aliaschief Enjoy your excursion in Cartagena. Unfortunately when I was there, my knee caused me to not be able to walk much, so I only saw the animals in the park near the dock.

@kazu It looks like the gardening is coming along well. 

@Heartgrove Awesome photo of Lily and Sam, Jack. I had that reaction to the first Shingrix shot, but almost nothing with the second one.

@Lady Hudson Wow on that house situation.

@Vict0riann I hope your weather isn't too bad!

@superoma That's a nice big garden. Congrats to all the DGC on their academic achievements, despite Covid!

@rafinmd Great sunset photo. Thanks for the blog link.

@smitty34877 Sorry to read of Tana's issues, but I'm sure it helps the new aide to have you their with your calming manner and experience dealing with it all.

@marshhawk I don't know how you keep up with all these rotating jobs and bosses! Fingers crossed for DH to get the Disney concert hall job. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely photos.

@kplady Good to hear you're both out of quarantine; sorry you missed all the NZ ports. 

@atexsix Bruno, glad you stopped by the Daily yesterday. You have done a great job caring for DD and I hope the PT is able to get him good enough to travel again.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

Hoping your knee settles so your cruise isn’t impacted.  

Good news, some of the migrating red tail hawks are back.  Now if I could only find a bluebird! 

85ACBE7C-C14C-48CA-81DE-8417C119B0B5.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, 0106 said:

Is it Big Wind Day or Wednesday?19E0B652-5561-4C7E-A939-8DA0454351D1.jpeg.723dd02fdb3ab2296883cb08ad4463c1.jpeg

I love grilled cheese.  D5CA2BDA-534A-4734-BBBF-7C633D14D882.jpeg.ada47d67d72e80e8cb4df93c1853d8ba.jpeg
Have you ever tried using mayo instead of butter on the bread?  Delicious.

Thanks for the recipes Debbie.  Always makes my dinner preparation more creative.  Seems like many do not like pesto.  Usually pesto is made with basil.  Arugula pesto tastes completely different, peppery.  This is my family’s favorite pasta salad. The “dressing” is arugula pesto (called gremolata). 
Farfalle with Arugula Gremolata, Gorgonzola, Golden Raisins, and Walnuts

Thanks to all who makes this a wonderful place to visit.

Do you think it may be that the flavor is quite intense in a pesto?   I've also had sun dried tomato pesto and I love it.  

I'm going to have to try the grilled cheese with the mayo.  Sounds really good!

• Like 13

50 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Wednesday from a beautiful sunny Tucson. Yesterday’s official high was 99F!  Yikes! I heard we broke a record. 

Jake @Crazy For Cats, Happy Birthday to River!  I love your cats names. 

I leave early tomorrow morning for Fort Lauderdale and was able to check in for my flight during my early morning awake time earlier. Thank goodness I was able to get back to sleep. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, I’m glad @TiogaCruiser sent you the itinerary for our cruise. I’m going to send you the following two itineraries for the Volendam since I’ll be onboard those two. Craig did his magic with the computer and made me a nice listing with the maps and itineraries. I have a paper ship that Craig was given at his retirement party and am planning on putting that on my cabin door with the magnetic tape you recommended. Hopefully, I can put the ship back together!  (And no one decides to swipe it!). And I have sheet protectors with the magnetic tape for the maps. 

Bruce @aliaschief, Cartagena is on my itinerary also and don’t have anything planned since I’ve been there before. It was very hot and humid then. 

Have a great day everyone!

Thanks Sharon!  I'll get those itineraries noted.  So far the first part that Laura sent is accurate (meaning same as my source).  Hope you enjoy your door decorations.

40 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Just a quick set of questions please:

Were doing Uber for the first time in many years. This is the first time I have pre-ordered a ride ( done a few days ago). 

1) how do I know that a driver has accepted our trip?

2) If it has not been picked up, do I order another car in real time? ( meaning at the time we want to leave?)

3) how much do you usually tip Uber?

4) how much do you usually tip a taxi driver? (This is my first time using a taxi.)

thanks!

Good idea to ask questions now so you don't think about it all night and get no sleep!  I haven't used Uber, and DH does the paying for taxis so I don't know what he tips.  Except our last taxi was like 6:45 am getting off Sky Princess and going a very short distance to our car parked at our hotel.  So he doubled the fare as a way of making up for it.  I'm sure he was back in the taxi line up by 7:05 so he made out fine.

Hope all you Dailyites get together and have fun!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, dfish said:

Do you think it may be that the flavor is quite intense in a pesto?   I've also had sun dried tomato pesto and I love it. 

Some may find the flavor of pesto intense, imo, if it’s made with too much garlic or store bought.  I love pesto made with fresh basil but the sun dried tomato sounds delish too.

@TiogaCruiser

Regardless of when you made the reservation, Uber starts to search for a driver and sends the ride request a few minutes in advance before the scheduled time for the pickup.

1. You will get the notification for the ride 15 minutes prior to the scheduled time.

Uber cannot guarantee there will be Uber drivers online at the exact time of the pickup.

2. You will be assigned a trip based on available drivers.  Uber cannot guarantee that a driver will accept the ride request. In the case a driver cannot be found, you’ll be notified at the end of your selected time window. At this point Uber will cancel your ride request and you will not be charged. So if an Uber is not available for you reservation, it will not be available on real time.

3/4. I usually tip 20% in US.  If I have a lot of luggage or the driver personable, tip more.

@kazuVery impressive begonias.

@bennybear Loved hawk picture.  I have been checking in on the eaglets on the Hays Eagle Nest daily.  The are growing quickly.  The hummingbirds have return to MD.  😊

Edited by 0106
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

We took a walking tour which also included some local cuisine tastings. Hot and very humid it was. We thought it was a very good Hal tour. Tons of vendors trying to sell you junk.We have walked over three miles so far today. 

Short day back on board was 1.00 PM and we just set sail for the Panama Canal.

Maybe I have heat exhaustion as I had to edit this after typing whole post inside the quote!😅

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 12
  • Haha 4

I enjoy grilled cheese but to pick it up some I add some sweet relish and yellow mustard. Yummy.

Tonight is MDR and I’m thinking prime rib. Tomorrow a Panama Roll for breakfast to keep the tradition going.

Plan to see a comedian in main showroom tonight.

This guy is ready for a shower!

• Like 17

Happy Wednesday.   It's 80F here today.  Broke a temp record.  Supposed to be warm again tomorrow, and then 40's over the weekend with rain and a chance of snow flurries.  Went out for lunch today, and would have ordered  a grilled cheese sandwich, but it wasn't on the menu.   

@atexsixGood to hear from you, hoping all goes well for DD.  You must be doing a great job caring for him!  

@kochleffelI've also learned a lot about Passover these last few day, thanks!  

Thanks to all for sharing pictures jokes and your lives here!  Karen

• Like 19

1 hour ago, ktbraun said:

Happy Wednesday.   It's 80F here today.  Broke a temp record.  Supposed to be warm again tomorrow, and then 40's over the weekend with rain and a chance of snow flurries.  Went out for lunch today, and would have ordered  a grilled cheese sandwich, but it wasn't on the menu.   

@atexsixGood to hear from you, hoping all goes well for DD.  You must be doing a great job caring for him!  

@kochleffelI've also learned a lot about Passover these last few day, thanks!  

Thanks to all for sharing pictures jokes and your lives here!  Karen

Thank you, enjoy the weather, reality will return for Wisconsin eventually, I grew up in Illinois so I know these mild winters are few and far between.

Despite the coolness here I'm going to move my plants outside this afternoon, it's really quite beautiful out. 

• Like 11

Just a few pics from our day in Cartagena today. Just heard our Cruise Director announce there will Ball Room Dancing coming up in BB King Lounge. Sure some of our dancers will like that.

image.thumb.jpeg.8ce6c6e358af4a17ace0ae24ad1d3305.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7fea2e5f6b0e5f8cfbff2b0900175a8a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e36ad98cfef3593521a3f5ebcb046d84.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ef05d6b2188715e9e741bd42f737738c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.42658441ea98576cc67596bc783e70b2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8cdb239bf22d089b054ee2f85d64cde0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.16b110c6a2f33a989c84c7e5a9a553d7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.107cd068cdc7938ea77f73f4955a1722.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.726722396df39bea171fbdd919575b4c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3353861cb270567737d5e99b12445f25.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.78af1f4650e66609d6d6900630935735.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 4

I had a flare up of the colitis but Dr. prescribed a new medication for me and it seems to be helping; feeling better today.

A big wind is nothing but trouble in numerous ways; I don't want to be anywhere near a big wind. I love grilled cheese sandwiches, sometimes to be different I will put a couple slices of dill pickle inside. Having worked in insurance claims for almost 40 years I really appreciate lawyers and have always been kind to them. In all that time I only dealt with 1 lawyer that was not courteous.  No thanks on the meal (pesto ugh), the drink and the wine.

@Sharon in AZI got my new cabin assignment yesterday, I will be just a couple of cabins back from the previous assignment but will not have to change cabins. I am hoping that you will be able to introduce me to @AV8rix and @Dismomx5.

Prayers for all who need them and cheers for all who are celebrating.

Jane

• Like 18

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

I had a flare up of the colitis but Dr. prescribed a new medication for me and it seems to be helping; feeling better today.

That is so good to hear 👍 I hope you continue to improve 🙏🏻 

5 hours ago, NextOne said:

Another beautiful sunny day, with a slight wind.

Despite all the "big winds" we had during the past several months, the garden is coming in nicely. Here's a shot of the bleeding heart for the Garden Club!

bleedingheart.jpg

I am jealous of your blooms already.  Far too cold and frozen ground (and still some snow in spots for any plants.  Wonderful to see your bleeding heart 👍 

10 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Tana’s newest aide is so far working out although I was glad to be here yesterday  when two separate issues  developed. Equipment is often problematic and our patient can be difficult to manage when extremely anxious. Breathing issues breed anxiety and it is hard for a new person to maintain a calm exterior. 

I hope Tana’s aide continues to work out. 🙏🏻  She/he certainly has challenges ahead of them for sure but hopefully they find it rewarding. You need the help, badly.

8 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I'm having less pain in the right knee, but the left hurts from using it more. There was some drainage on the gauze this AM, but it's hard to tell on white material.

that’s encouraging, Vanessa.  I hope you have good news on Friday and the help needed. 🙏🏻 

10 hours ago, Rowsby said:

If it wasn't for my gimpy shoulder....I'd be there right now this whole month....and yes....I AM whining....😕

You whine away all you want.  You deserve to.  It’s tough when you lose the trips you planned so hard for because of unplanned health issues 😔 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3